Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,795 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" (20527 Views)

Lubabatu An Episodic Hausa Novel By Ibrahhm M. Gombe / Cyprian Ekwensi's 95th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Hausa World Writers Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by EazyMoh(m): 10:59pm On Jul 15, 2016
[b]I was reading a thread earlier reminiscing with great pleasure when I received the shock of the year. The thread was hosted by the supermod himself Ishilove www.nairaland.com/3228867/nairalanders-how-many-remember-these the thread was about classic novels written in English language.
What caught my attention was the book titled African Night's Entertainment'. Having read both the Hausa and the English versions, I never paid attention to the discrepancy in the names of the authors until I saw it on the thread. I zoomed in the picture of the book to make sure I saw the name of the author correctly. I quickly googled and I was shocked to find out that while the Hausa version 'Jiki Magayi' was authored by John Tafida Umaru and co-authored by popular Hausa writer Rupert East, the English version was claimed to be written by Cyprian Ekwensi!
I simply added John Tafida in the search and I came through this article written by one Ibrahim Musa. I searched further but couldn't find any tangible action taken against this greatest plagiarism of all times in Africa, in fact in the world of literature.
PS for those who can read Hausa if you haven't read the Tafida's version try to do and compare.
When Jiki Magayi was first authored, Cyprian Ekwensi was twelve years old![/b]
In the literary world, Cyprian Ekwensi is a
household name. This holds true particularly
for the volume of work he churned out within
the corpus of African literature. He was a very
good story teller, especially of the urban tale,
that many people see him as a better story
teller than the Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka or
even the more famous novelist, Chinua Achebe.
In stark contrast, John Tafida can be
considered a nonentity. He is not even popular
in the region (Northern Nigeria) where he was
born and bred, and where Hausa, the language
he wrote in is the unofficial lingua franca. The
world knows very little about Tafida, who lived
in the obscure Wusasa quarters in Zaria and
wrote, perhaps, only one book in a vernacular.
All these disadvantages robbed him of a
chance to popularity and even a recognition for
Pulitzer or Booker Prize, or some other award.
In another contrast, the two did not even write
in the same medium (language), and there was
no clear evidence their paths ever crossed.
Why am I interested in these novelists despite
that my background has nothing to do with
literature? As a physician, I should be seen
writing about diseases and cure, or on great
personalities in Medicine. For obvious reasons,
I have scant interest in reading novels. My little
passion for it died with my teenage. However,
from the few I have read, I am left with a puzzle
that refused to get solved despite my curiosity
and nagging. I learned how to read in Hausa
language first before I could read in English.
So, it was natural that most of the books I came
across early in my life were authored in Hausa.
I must confess that very few of those books left
a mark on me since the vast majority had a
pattern of telling stories on a romance with a
happy ending. Scholars of Hausa literature even
tagged them as Kano market literature;
apparently a pejorative term signifying poor
writing quality, juvenile treatment of the
subjects and limited creativity. However, there
was a generation of creative works before the
advent of Kano market literature which was
outstanding. I can still remember passages and
snippets from Abubakar Imam’s Ruwan Bagaja,
Tafawa Balewa’s Shaihu Umar, John Tafida’s
Jiki Magayi, Gwarzo Muhammad’s Idon
Matambayi, and Bello Kagara’s Gandoki. These
five novels were authored decades before I was
born and they remain classics. They emerged
out of a literary competition organized by the
then head of the Translation Bureau in Zaria,
Mr. Rupert East, in 1933. Incidentally, Mr. East
himself is the co-author of Jiki Magayi. The
main drive behind that award was to stimulate
the culture of creative writing in Hausa
language. The overall winner, Imam, went on to
become well established as an author whose
other books like Magana Jari Ce, Karamin Sani,
and Tafiya Mabudin Ilmi became must read for
every pupil passing through formal school in
northern Nigeria.
[b]It was not until 1955 when John Tafida’s Jiki
Magayi was published. This notwithstanding
that it won an award in 1933. By 1962, Cyprian
Ekwensi also published his novel titled An
African Night Entertainment. These two books,
by commission or omission, happened to be an
exact replica of each other. They only differed
in a way that one was written in Hausa and the
other in English. From the first sentence to the
last paragraph, Ekwensi appeared to have lifted
and translated verbatim the work of John
Tafida. I tried to find out whether Tafida’s
consent was sought before his work was copy-
pasted? I could not get a definitive answer to
this query. What is apparent to me is that there
is no acknowledgment or reference anywhere to
Jiki Magayi as the original idea which Ekwensi
stole and appropriated the whole credit for
himself. Nothing like that appeared in the
preface or foreword of Ekwensi’s plagiarized
book.
In the Encyclopedia Britannica entry page,
Ekwensi; an Igbo man, was said to have been
born on September 26, 1921, in Minna (present
capital of Niger state). By implication, he was
barely 12 years when Tafida authored Jiki
Magayi. This evidence is a pointer that Tafida
wrote his book at the time Ekwensi could not
have dreamt of becoming a novelist. Ironically,
it appears that there is a grand design to lend
this issue a fig leaf. This is a clear case of
literary fraud that should not be let to go
without correcting the wicked wrongdoing.[/b]
It is not uncommon in the literary world to see
prominent personalities involved in giraffing
other people’s work without proper attribution.
Even Martin Luther of saintly projection was
found to have plagiarized some sections of his
dissertation. His famous speech titled “I Have a
Dream” was also a subject of contention. Yet
no single case to my knowledge is as worst as
Ekwensi’s, not even Johnny Cash’s case of
absorbing Gordon Jenkin’s lyrics in his song
titled “Folsom Prison Blues” could parallel the
injustice done to Tafida by Ekwensi.
Finally, I crave the indulgence of the
Association of Nigerian Authors (ANA) and
National Copyright Commission to institute a
joint probe that would unravel the mystery
behind this serious distortion of literary history,
or what I choose to call literary fraud of the
millennium. We owe it to John Tafida to ensure
that justice is done him and his remaining
family. If it is discovered that his work was
lifted without consent or compensation, every
penny derived from that work should be given
to his family. The fact that none of them came
forward to sue Ekwensi for stealing their work
is a signal that they may not be in the right
frame of social standing to warrant such. They
need this compensation to pay school fees to
train more Tafidas. I also expect the federal
government of Nigeria to withdraw the national
honor awarded to Ekwensi. We have seen in
Germany where two ministers (defense and
education) were stripped of their Ph.D. honors
after it was discovered that they had
extensively plagiarized their work.
Ibrahim Musa is a graduate student in
Epidemiology at Texas A&M University. He can
be reached on muazamusa@yahoo.com
www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/art-ideas/ekwensi-s-an-african-night-entertainment-and-john-tafida-s-jiki-magayi/130379.html

8 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by rheether(f): 11:38pm On Jul 15, 2016
Maka obu onye igbo? Ndi ara.

19 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by EazyMoh(m): 6:15am On Jul 16, 2016
*Modified
I have sent an email inquiry about the issue to the original writer of the article Ibrahim Musa and the publishers of the two versions.
It's sad we don't have any Avenue to either independently investigate or an authority that can do that.
But I Assure you I would never see a wrong doing and do nothing about it.
Thanks to those who have read the two versions and have confirmed their undoubted similarity.
Also those optimistic Ekwensi might obtain some covert license to translate the book without acknowledging the original writer, I will try to find that out too.
***REMODIFIED
I received two emails moments ago from the initial investigator of the case Dr. Ibrahim Musa this is what the mail read. " From the little I could glean from my sources, the then northern Nigeria regional government actually sued Ekwensi for plagiarism. Unfortunately, civil war broke when the case was incubating and everything halted as a result. By the time the war was over, there was no more regional governments. The system became unitary with emergence of states. Thus, nobody was interested in revisiting that 'inconsequential' issue. Justice Mamman Nasir can shed light on this."

Cc emonkey nwaanambra1 sparkle777 shizzle111 Angelsss nonjebose zaboy gaddafithe2nd Ishilove redoil phi001 fujirice Okudiover Nickydrake ihuomadinihu kindness4life adexsimply ideykwum ......
Thank you all for making the thread lively. I guess the above information should have been the first on this thread which would have made things clear in the onset. Nevertheless, I believe we all learn something new today.
We have resolved to do our best to reopen the case and pursue it to a logical conclusion. I am directed to contact Justice Mamman Nasir for further information and guidance about the case. It baffles how and why they allow the issue to rest over all these years.

18 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by brunofarad(m): 6:21am On Jul 16, 2016
Interesting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by adioolayi(m): 6:23am On Jul 16, 2016
You can help him go to Court grin

4 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by maadman: 6:23am On Jul 16, 2016
This doesn't put food in ma plate..next topic pls!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by FreshGuy2(m): 6:25am On Jul 16, 2016
Hokay.... Next please

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by metroid(m): 6:26am On Jul 16, 2016
*Grabs popcorn*

2 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by emalek86(m): 6:27am On Jul 16, 2016
why u complaining na, are you the author? the author didn't complain for a reason.

4 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by HalfTruth: 6:29am On Jul 16, 2016
[size=28pt]Yes[/size]

Same way PSquare plagiarizes other artists.

These people sha. Their "business" is importing fake china goods. Why won't anything else be copy copy with them?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by jide219(m): 6:32am On Jul 16, 2016
Maybe he took permission

2 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by drey22(m): 6:32am On Jul 16, 2016
tryna make more money abeg
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by eleojo23: 6:32am On Jul 16, 2016
hmm...
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Akshow: 6:35am On Jul 16, 2016
Yes
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Akshow: 6:36am On Jul 16, 2016
HalfTruth:
[size=28pt]Yes[/size]

Same way PSquare plagiarizes other artists.

These people sha. Their "business" is importing fake china goods. Why won't anything else be copy copy with them?
it's not a tribal bashing thread pls

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by emyryx(m): 6:36am On Jul 16, 2016
na wa o. everybody just dey copy
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by bomasek(m): 6:36am On Jul 16, 2016
@Op,can u provide us with excerpts from John Tafida's book,thanks.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Joythah(m): 6:38am On Jul 16, 2016
Food for name checkers... Make una wake up. Let the war begin
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by prinsam30: 6:40am On Jul 16, 2016
Behold, another word has just been added to the list of Corrupt Practices in nairaland, it is called........ Plagiarize...........

What is yours is yours and what is not yours can never ever be yours, I rest my case..... Courrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt

1 Like

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by ipledge10(m): 6:40am On Jul 16, 2016
Please where can I get e-book of Africa Night of Entertainment...
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by mondob2k(m): 6:41am On Jul 16, 2016
This na serious issue o. But Cyrian Ekwensi should av acknowledged him one way or the other. unless it is part of their agreement. for CE not to do so.

Let me chk Oba's Palace Library o. I might just see the Bini version of 'For a Roll of Parchment' or 'Drummer boy' written in 1914..

7 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Fresia01(f): 6:44am On Jul 16, 2016
Cyprian was a great writer....buh let me ask u...y are u crying more than d bereaved??

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by 7footre(m): 6:44am On Jul 16, 2016
Well this sure is interesting! Cypril was born in the north too, so might have come across the book at some point. I'm not an expert in such issues, but if it turns out true, I think the originals authors family should take up the case, as it might fetch them some cash

For ya'll playing the tribal card up there, ya'll need to grow the fcvk up!!! Like how do you still behave this way in this time and age... pfff

16 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by LikeJesus: 6:46am On Jul 16, 2016
"Taking panadol for another person's headache ".

And it didn't occur to the OP that there probably must have been some kind of understanding between Cyprian Ekwensi and the original owner of the literary material?

Some people sha...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Caveatemptor(m): 6:48am On Jul 16, 2016
Hmmm...interesting. .
Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by mondob2k(m): 6:49am On Jul 16, 2016
ipledge10:
Please where can I get e-book of Africa Night of Entertainment...

Na now u wan read am. na now d thing dey hungry u. where u dey since?

3 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by HalfTruth: 6:50am On Jul 16, 2016
emalek86:
why u complaining na, are you the author? the author didn't complain for a reason.
LikeJesus:

And it didn't occur to the OP that there probably must have been some kind of understanding between Cyprian Ekwensi and the original owner of the literary material?

Some people sha...presuming they are all knowing, Berthe read a book
angry"Taking panadol for another person's headache ".

Why do you people support anything criminal in nature?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Dexema(m): 6:51am On Jul 16, 2016
imagine, just look at people's comments. anyway I was privileged to read the book "an African nights entertainment " and it left a mark on me though I would love to read it again ( read it only once) . however, if Mr. ekwensi made such a large scale "shoplifting" of another man's idea without properly referencing him there's no two names for it. I hope the truth is found out (and I really hope uncle Cyprian took permission). my best of his books remain trouble in form six.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by perojelly: 6:55am On Jul 16, 2016
he did and he should be sued if he doesnt acknowledge d real source

2 Likes

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by Nobody: 6:55am On Jul 16, 2016
LikeJesus:
angry"Taking panadol for another person's headache ".

You are a shame to Nigeria, your ethnic group, your family, and to the whole world.

This case should be properly investigated just like Philip emeagwali was busted for his lies. Bunch of buttwipes !

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cyprian Ekwensi Plagiarized Hausa Story "Jiki Magayi" by CoCoLav(f): 6:55am On Jul 16, 2016
There is copyright in the translated version of a literary work. Most times the original author may assign that right to another person with an understanding. Nevertheless, even if permission was not obtained, Cyprain will still have copyright in the translated version because it satisfies the originality and fixation requirement albeit he might have infringed the original author's own copyright as well. This is not about plagiarism, he put efforts into translating it and the law recognizes that. It would be plagiarism if he reproduced it in Hausa.

I can decide to translate Shakespeare's works into Yoruba and make money off it and nobody will come after me.

48 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Write Your Own Very Own "drabble". / Bloodshot -a Short Romance Story / Top 10 Nairaland Stories To Enjoy Over The Weekend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.