Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,383 members, 7,808,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:50 AM

Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality (13217 Views)

SIX Extremely Ridiculous Beliefs Atheists Have And Their Simple Rebuttals / Medical Doctors, Atheism and Daily Evidence of Failed Prayers. / Dialectics Of Violence And Morality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 9:04pm On Jul 22, 2016
dalaman:

Its not by saying. Many Christians treat their dogs better than the way they treat other humans. That is a fact. If you live in Nigeria you will know that to be true.

Lol . So bro , you make wild assumptions and include "that's a fact " like its going to be real because you added that phrase grin
You funny oo
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hahn(m): 9:20pm On Jul 22, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Catholicism ! grin

Lol. The slave traders that invaded Africa and shipped out forefathers to the US were mainly protestants though.

Regardless, the Spanish inquisition and crusades were carried out in the name of Christ

Agreed?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 9:38pm On Jul 22, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Lol . So bro , you make wild assumptions and include "that's a fact " like its going to be real because you added that phrase grin
You funny oo

Its true. I know christians that treat their dogs better than others.

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 9:42pm On Jul 22, 2016
hahn:

Lol. The slave traders that invaded Africa and shipped out forefathers to the US were mainly protestants though.

Hahn , stop lying ! The missionaries were Catholics . You don forget ? They commit peccadilloes and believe it would be forgiven after they die and then vaporate into Heaven . With that apparent pretext , you have been given the carte blanche .

Regardless, the Spanish inquisition and crusades were carried out in the name of Christ

Agreed?

Come on bro !

For it is written

Matthew 7:21-23 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

False prophets also use the name of Christ to finagle cash from credulous people . Some use the name of Christ to inveigle you into doing something you don't want to do .

But can you adduce anything as proof for your claim ? Its a widespread belief that name of Christ was used to enslave Africans - that is certainly preposterous . How was that even possible ? Care to explain with proof of course .
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 9:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
dalaman:

Never seen one . In Nigeria . Its impossible . The Caucasians have the penchant to love and care for animals - that I understand wella - but a black man to treat dogs that well , me I never see oo .

I'll like to ask Seun who has dogs . Bro Seun if one of your dogs you love very much is about to drown with a total stranger- a Muslim in particular - will you save the dog or the Muslim stranger if you have the opportunity to save just one .
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hahn(m): 9:53pm On Jul 22, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Hahn , stop lying ! The missionaries were Catholics . You don forget ? They commit peccadilloes and believe it would be forgiven after they die and then vaporate into Heaven . With that apparent pretext , you have been given the carte blanche .

Come on bro !

For it is written

Matthew 7:21-23 Authorized (King James) Version (AKJV)

21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

False prophets also use the name of Christ to finagle cash from credulous people . Some use the name of Christ to inveigle you into doing something you don't want to do .

But can you adduce anything as proof for your claim ? Its a widespread belief that name of Christ was used to enslave Africans - that is certainly preposterous . How was that even possible ? Care to explain with proof of course .

So, when people do good it is in the name of Christ.

When they do bad in the name of Christ, they are false prophets.

Lol. How convenient grin

Unless you are trying to be intellectual dishonest, you cannot argue that Christians were the first slave traders in Africa. In fact, Jesus is the name of the first slave ship to reach the borders of Africa

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_ship

What about the current killing and stigmatizing of children by that pastor in Akwa Ibom? I noticed you ignored that thread even though it was on fp and I mentioned your other moniker.

What about old women who are accused of being witches and summarily beaten up due to Christian doctrine?

What about Christians who beat up and burn thieves here in Nigeria?

What about corrupt officials who loot public funds? They are mostly Christians or Muslims?

undecided

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by KingEbukaNaija: 10:09pm On Jul 22, 2016
hahn:

So, when people do good it is in the name of Christ.

When they do bad in the name of Christ, they are false prophets.

Lol. How convenient grin

Because Christ was morally good . cool

Unless you are trying to be intellectual dishonest, you cannot argue that Christians were the first slave traders in Africa. In fact, Jesus is the name of the first slave ship to reach the borders of Africa

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slave_ship

Your sauce did not taste anything like Jesus being on the name of a slave ship or Christians being the first slave traders in Africa . In fact , the first slave traders in Africa were Africans themselves - the Barbary slave trade - where white Europeans were enslaved by North Africans .

What about the current killing and stigmatizing of children by that pastor in Akwa Ibom? I noticed you ignored that thread even though it was on fp and I mentioned your other moniker.

Bro , because a pastor commits despicable crimes against humanity does not imply that Christianity assents to that .

What about old women who are accused of being witches and summarily beaten up due to Christian doctrine?

That's Judaism not Christianity . That's what happens when they won't attend good Church , attending road side churches or being taught the word by bling preachers is very pernicious to one's mental state .

What about Christians who beat up and burn thieves here in Nigeria?

Jungle Justice is barbaric and those that do that are mere illiterates . The illiterates are preponderant in this country . They kill delinquents and people who commit larceny but the politicians who peculate public funds and subject them to abject poverty or adversities are walking free in their own streets !

"Who that is without sin among you , should cast the first stone ... " - Christ said it

What about corrupt officials who loot public funds? They are mostly Christians or Muslims?

undecided

Being religious does not imply godliness . Christ even rejected religion .
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Weah96: 12:26pm On Jul 23, 2016
naijadeyhia:

Oh so you a die hard lack of morals atheist is scared of mummy and daddy. Buhuhuhuhu I weep for atheism.

Mamas boy!

It's not fear but caution. We only get one mother.

1996 was the year that an African player, George Weah, won World's Best Soccer Player. I am showing my age but your brain is stuck on religion.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 23, 2016
Weah96:

1996 was the year that an African player, George Weah, won World's Best Soccer Player. I am showing my age but your brain is stuck on religion.

I thought Atheists do not believe in morality so if indeed you don't why then apply caution with your mom?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jul 23, 2016
Weah96:

I will not mention the 1996 thingy as u and I know you are about 20yrs old wink
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Weah96: 7:09pm On Jul 23, 2016
naijadeyhia:

I thought Atheists do not believe in morality so if indeed you don't why then apply caution with your mom?
Atheists don't believe in money morality, the morality that is done for the sake of huge mansions and golden streets after DEATH.

When the atheists and f/a\gs came to free African children from being r.aped by the Evangelical Christians during the US Civil War, they were not doing it for an afterlife reward.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Weah96: 7:10pm On Jul 23, 2016
naijadeyhia:

I will not mention the 1996 thingy as u and I know you are about 20yrs old wink

I wish. LOL.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hahn(m): 8:23pm On Jul 23, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Because Christ was morally good . cool

Your sauce did not taste anything like Jesus being on the name of a slave ship or Christians being the first slave traders in Africa . In fact , the first slave traders in Africa were Africans themselves - the Barbary slave trade - where white Europeans were enslaved by North Africans .

Bro , because a pastor commits despicable crimes against humanity does not imply that Christianity assents to that .

That's Judaism not Christianity . That's what happens when they won't attend good Church , attending road side churches or being taught the word by bling preachers is very pernicious to one's mental state .

Jungle Justice is barbaric and those that do that are mere illiterates . The illiterates are preponderant in this country . They kill delinquents and people who commit larceny but the politicians who peculate public funds and subject them to abject poverty or adversities are walking free in their own streets !

"Who that is without sin among you , should cast the first stone ... " - Christ said it

Being religious does not imply godliness . Christ even rejected religion .

At bolded, in your opinion which of the 33,000 Christian denominations is the best?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 9:31am On Jul 24, 2016
dalaman:

We can judge them from the life of christ.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 9:37am On Jul 24, 2016
winner01:
We can judge them from the life of christ.

The life of Christ is a myth as such no christian can live such a life. Even you can not live the life of Christ. After all Christ promised those of you that believe in him to live like him and do greater things than we were told he did. You personally can do no such thing so I wonder why you are talking about thelife of christ, something that you personally can not even emulate.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 10:16am On Jul 24, 2016
dalaman:

The life of Christ is a myth as such no christian can live such a life.
Says Dalaman. Prof. Omni Knowest.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 10:21am On Jul 24, 2016
winner01:
Says Dalaman. Prof. Omni Knowest.

It is true, despite all the christians claims non of then can live the life Jesus outlined in the bible because it is impossible. It is just like the promise Jesus gave and promise to those that believe in him, no christian can demonstrate it because it is a mythical promise. No christian can live or do what Jesus said because it is impossible. If it were possible we will see Christians living the life, since it's impossible no christian can do it. You winner01 can not live the live Jesus told people to live in the bible, you can not demonstrate any of the things he promised you. You can't do it because it's mythical.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hahn(m): 10:36am On Jul 24, 2016
dalaman:

It is true, despite all the christians claims non of then cam live the life Jesus outlined in the bible because it is impossible. It is just like the promise Jesus gave and promise those that believe in him, no christian can demonstrate it because it is a mythical promise. No christian can live or do what Jesus said because it is impossible. If it were possible we will see Christians living the life since it's impossible no christian can do it. You winner01 can not live the live Jesus told people to live in the bible, you can not demonstrate any of the things he promised you. You can't do it because it's mythical.

I go half the day winner01 indulges in a reasonable discussion. I really do not understand why theists put themselves through so much stress.

Why bother subjecting yourself to a life of rules you cannot reasonably live by?

They claim the bible is god's word but can't live by it's guidelines. When you through some verses about wealth and paradise in the afterlife they will "claim it" but when you tell them about stoning people who work on Sundays, or killing your wife because she is not a virgin on your wedding night, they will tell you that you need the holy spirit to understand the verse.

It is intellectual dishonesty. The willingness to subject yourself to slavery/subjugation, the unwillingness to think for yourself and have goat herders 2,000 years ago think and justify morality on your behalf, the yearning for constant surveillance by an imaginary being who watches and will punish you for wan.king but watches innocent women being raped and kids dying daily and does nothing about it but expects us to believe it is working in "mysterious ways" etc. It is this kind of thinking that holds us back as a specie.

Man does not need god to interfere in our daily activity because it's presence is obviously useless
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 10:41am On Jul 24, 2016
hahn:

I go half the day winner01 indulges in a reasonable discussion. I really do not understand why theists put themselves through so much stress.

Why bother subjecting yourself to a life of rules you cannot reasonably live by?

They claim the bible is god's word but can't live by it's guidelines. When you through some verses about wealth and paradise in the afterlife they will "claim it" but when you tell them about stoning people who work on Sundays, or killing your wife because she is not a virgin on your wedding night, they will tell you that you need the holy spirit to understand the verse.

It is intellectual dishonesty. The willingness to subject yourself to slavery/subjugation, the unwillingness to think for yourself and have goat herders 2,000 years ago think and justify morality on your behalf, the yearning for constant surveillance by an imaginary being who watches and will punish you for wan.king but watches innocent women being raped and kids dying daily and does nothing about it but expects us to believe it is working in "mysterious ways" etc. It is this kind of thinking that holds us back as a specie.

Man does not need god to interfere in our daily activity because it's presence is obviously useless

He can not even practice the pacifist teachings of Jesus. No christian can do it. It's impossible just as the promise that everything you ask for in prayers will be given to you once you believe. All these are just mythical stuffs.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 1:31pm On Jul 24, 2016
dalaman:

[size=5pt]It is true, despite all the christians claims non of then can live the life Jesus outlined in the bible because it is impossible. It is just like the promise Jesus gave and promise to those that believe in him, no christian can demonstrate it because it is a mythical promise. No christian can live or do what Jesus said because it is impossible. If it were possible we will see Christians living the life, since it's impossible no christian can do it. You winner01 can not live the live Jesus told people to live in the bible, you can not demonstrate any of the things he promised you. You can't do it because it's mythical. [/size]
We strive to be like Christ because He set a perfect standard.
Why do you want imperfect people to stop looking up to a standard of perfection.

No matter your desperation and epistles, we know we are not perfect, and we wont stop trying to attain perfection like Christ commanded.

hahn:

[size=5pt]I go half the day winner01 indulges in a reasonable discussion. I really do not understand why theists put themselves through so much stress.

Man does not need god to interfere in our daily activity because it's presence is obviously useless [/size]
Useless to you. Why do you need God to be useless in the lives of others.
If you were once unfortunate and blamed it on God, dont think you can make other people who make God a vital part of their lives share in your woes.

All the nonsense you quotes is what you desperately want to be true and not the truth. We've dealt with most of the crap you put up there.

Innocent people are raped and killed blah blah blah. It is consistent with scriptures. Evil exists and thats the reality.
Wish God away all you want while you still have the strength.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by dalaman: 2:15pm On Jul 24, 2016
winner01:

Why do you want imperfect people to stop looking up to a standard of perfection.

No matter your desperation and epistles, we know we are not perfect, and we wont stop trying to attain perfection like Christ commanded.

Bla bla bla. You can not live the kind of pacifist life as outlined by Jesus in the bible. No human being can do it because it is impossible. Jesus promised those that have faith in him that whatever they ask for in prayers they will get. That is false as well. Trying to live the pacifist life of Jesus is impossible that is why no christian can do it.
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 2:40pm On Jul 24, 2016
dalaman:

Bla bla bla. You can not live the kind of pacifist life as outlined by Jesus in the bible.
Maybe. But you wont stop us from trying. wink
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hahn(m): 3:24pm On Jul 24, 2016
winner01:

Useless to you. Why do you need God to be useless in the lives of others.
If you were once unfortunate and blamed it on God, dont think you can make other people who make God a vital part of their lives share in your woes.

All the nonsense you quotes is what you desperately want to be true and not the truth. We've dealt with most of the crap you put up there.

Innocent people are raped and killed blah blah blah. It is consistent with scriptures. Evil exists and thats the reality.
Wish God away all you want while you still have the strength.

Evil exists because your god wants it too.

Period cheesy
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by Weah96: 8:47pm On Jul 24, 2016
winner01:
Maybe. But you wont stop us from trying. wink

You're one of those people who claim to speak to a so called all seeing creator and yet still disobey him knowing that the punishment is suya death after your natural death.

Do I look like a foo.l to you. Hahaha. I haven't met any human brave enough to enter hot grill for eternity. Just by admitting that you disobey the non human with whom you speak, you have declared unintentionally that you're telling lies. Are you a suicidal person?

2 Likes

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by hopefulLandlord: 9:26pm On Jul 24, 2016
Weah96:

You're one of those people who claim to speak to a so called all seeing creator and yet still disobey him knowing that the punishment is suya death after your natural death.

Do I look like a foo.l to you. Hahaha. I haven't met any human brave enough to enter hot grill for eternity. Just by admitting that you disobey the non human with whom you speak, you have declared unintentionally that you're telling lies. Are you a suicidal person?

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 12:22am On Jul 25, 2016
Weah96:

Do I look like a foo.l to you.
Kinda' undecided

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 12:33am On Jul 25, 2016
angry
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by PastorAIO: 8:18pm On Apr 01, 2017
Weah96:

This is a champion post.

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by winner01(m): 2:12pm On Apr 04, 2018
PastorAIO:

This is a champion post.
SMH

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by PastorAIO: 11:36pm On Apr 04, 2018
dalaman:

Talk is cheap. If I slap you, you will not turn the other cheek, if I come and take your shirt you will not give me your coat. You do not love your enemies instead I believe you pray for God to help you defeat them or.protect you from them and their plans against you. You lie, you cheat, you get angry, feel envy and jealous of others on varying degrees, you do not love your neighbor as you love yourself. You can try to do these things but you can not achieve them 100% no human can. Anybody that says he can is lying that is why Christains have never been able to distinguish themselves from nonchristians throughout history despite their endless claims.

So your point is that christianity is a useless religion since it cannot deliver on any of it's promises. It's adherents are the most abhorrent people. What good has it done?
Re: Atheism And Morality; Do Atheists Have A Foundation For Morality by PastorAIO: 11:46pm On Apr 04, 2018
thehomer:

As long as you think your God is good, it would indicate that you don't just lack a moral compass, but your compass confuses evil for good.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Doctrines And Services Of Celestial Church Of Christ / Just Curious: Why Isn't Peter One Of The Gospel Writers / A Man Of God Told Me She Is Not My Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.