Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,879 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:56 AM

To Atheists And Religious People - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / To Atheists And Religious People (541 Views)

Sigh: Religion Section Has Turned To Atheists' Section! / Answers To Common Objections To The Existence Of God And Of Christianity / A Question To Atheists Who Believe In Evolution. Help me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Atheists And Religious People by Nobody: 9:12pm On Jul 16, 2016
To state with absolute certainty that God exists or does not exist is questionable.
To state with absolute certainty that God exists means that you have brought forward a completely rational description of your god, that makes perfect sense. To state that a religious text is your source of proof is ridiculous, as it was written by men just like you and me. These men claim to be inspired by God and you choose to believe that without questioning it at all. Despite the book containing various contradictory statements, or actions that contradict the supposed nature of your god, and so on. So bringing forward a book as your source of proof is ridiculous. However, claiming to be a theist isn't. You don't state with absolute certainty that a God exists, but personally, you believe that there is one. In that case, its pretty much like lucid dreaming (please look up the definition of lucid dreaming if you're not sure what it is). For a person who claims to have experienced a lucid dream, his claims can never be verified. That person also has to be sure that he isn't deluding himself into thinking he had a lucid dream when in fact he didn't. A person who has experienced a lucid dream can only strongly believe that he did, but he can't tell everyone to believe that lucid dreaming actually happens, because there's no way to prove it.
To claim with absolute certainty that God does not exist either is ridiculous. A popular statement by hardcore atheists is 'we didn't say God exists, the burden of proof is on the people that made the claim'. While this statement is true to an extent, logically you cannot say with 100% certainty that God does not exist. For example, imagine the bushmen of the Kalahari desert. One day a car came by, and a bushman happened to see it and described it as 'a horse with circular legs, that sends smoke out from its tail, and runs faster than any horse there is'. If his clan were to apply rational thinking upon hearing this, with the knowledge they had so far acquired, the description and explanation seems stupid and impossible (religion). However, its only later on that they can now understand that what the person in fact saw, was a car. Therefore, if any of the clan members had decided to state with 100% certainty that that object did not exist, they would appear foolish when they found out it was a car.
There are many things we still do not understand, like whether the universe is 'flat' and finite or infinite, with curvature, etc.
So what I feel we should focus on are the more pressing issues on earth. How we can agree to things on earth and make this a better place for the human race, its inhabitants. If you want to base your whole life on the words of others, without any meaningful, rational explanation, fine. But don't do so at the detriment of people with conflicting beliefs. I believe that general rules that protect the interest of all humans should come FIRST. Then if your faith does not conflict with any of those, fine. But if it does, then you need to tone it down, because there is the probability that you are wrong. There are over 5000 gods being worshiped on earth today, none with a completely rational description of god, yet each one thinks they're right.
I'm pretty sure that irrespective of whatever is in your holy book, each of your gods would be pleased if you protect the interest of other humans FIRST. After all, according to you, we are all his creations, right?
Or what do you think?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Atheists And Religious People by Nobody: 9:26pm On Jul 16, 2016
Op,you are very right.... We should all live peacefully regardless of our various beliefs cos... it really doesnt matter.

And to those people that do carry religion on their head like gala...

2 Likes

Re: To Atheists And Religious People by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 16, 2016
HarkymTheOracle:
undecided
did you read the post
Re: To Atheists And Religious People by johnydon22(m): 10:50pm On Jul 16, 2016
Good submission this is; i find the position of both Gnostic theism and Gnostic atheism both ridiculous and nonsensical.

These positions are rather that of personal emotions than honest enquiry: On one hand the other claims absolutely that God(s) exists even though without empirical evidence, on the other hand the other claims absolutely that God(s) don't exist.

How can you be so sure when the subject is one that is uncertain, unproven and conceptual.

You can tell me there is a diamond cut pig man somewhere in the universe [i might or will doubt you due to lack of empirical evidence] but for me to claim absolutely there is no such thing means i must have been to every corner of the universe to be sure.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: To Atheists And Religious People by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 16, 2016
AnonyNymous:

did you read the post
Yes,i did. D pix is jst me conveying my message about pples view on religion.

1 Like

Re: To Atheists And Religious People by hopefulLandlord: 1:08am On Jul 17, 2016
One of the few posts I cannot disagree with

Nice one OP

You've earned Hopefullandlord's Seal of approval

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ibo Dress Hebrew Dress / OPM Offers Lifeline To Pregnant Wife Of Kidnapped Police Officer / What I Did In California: I Could Not Help Myself.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.