Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,808,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:51 PM

Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features (4972 Views)

A Year Plus Female Rottweiler And German Shepherd Dogs For Sale / CAESAR & KHALEESI - My German Shepherd Dogs (DDR Bloodlines) / Difference Between Alsatian And Gsd (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by egorov(m): 6:28am On Jul 17, 2016
A very common question among dog lovers around the world is whether the Alsatian and the German Shepherd dogs are one and the same, or are they different. If you take a straw poll, I am pretty sure you are going to get contradictory answers. This is hardly surprising considering the fact that they look so alike. So, what is the truth then? The truth is they are the same dog with only different names.
Surprised? You should be.

What differentiates the Alsatian from the German Shepherd Dog?
There seems to be a raging debate among dog lovers for quite some time now, with many claiming that they are different, as different as apples and oranges and are bred for different purposes. Some claim that there are structural differences between the dogs, others say that it is the size and color, while even others wants to stress on their places of origin. The proponents of the last theory say that Alsatian originated in Alsace in France while the German Shepherd in Germany.
With so many claims and counter claims, any dog lover is bound to get confused and helpless. So let me put things into perspective for you.
A Short History – The Role of German Shepherd and How Alsatians Evolved?

During the world war, both sides were employing the German Shepherd in their ranks to attack, surprise and outmaneuver their opponents. The German Shepherd being a big working dog with high intelligence and a natural propensity for training was considered to be of great value by the armed forces and was therefore hotly pursued. However, the British were loath to using the name “German Shepherd” as the Germans were their arch-enemy and they (the British) didn’t want to associate with the Germans in any way, at least symbolically in this case. So, they coined a new name for the German Shepherd, Alsatian, which somehow some people has come to refer to as a different dog breed.
The Americans, however, had no such hangovers and the name German Shepherd was widely used. Once the war was over, the British also decided that the name Alsatian has outlived its usefulness and went back to its real and trusted name, the German Shepherd. This short anecdote should be enough to clear all your lingering doubts about the German Shepherd and an Alsatian and prove that they are the same thing.

The name Alsatian comes from the German French border area of Alsace-Lorraine, where the British were locked in a fierce battle with the German forces. The original name of the dog is German Shepherd Dog.
It was because of the relentless campaign by the breeders that in 1977 the Alsatian finally got back its original name, German Shepherd Dog. Today the German Shepherd Dog or Alsatian, as you would like to call it, is among the most popular dog breeds in the world. In the US it ranks as high as number two in the popularity stakes while in the UK it is constantly ranked in the top five. The German Shepherd is also known as GSD.

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by egorov(m): 6:29am On Jul 17, 2016
....I love gsd

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by okikiosibodu(m): 9:50am On Jul 17, 2016
@OP, some. People also call it POLICE DOG, cos it is used extensively in the US police though they also use other breeds such as Belgian Malnois (I hope I got the spelling well), which is a slightly smaller version of German Shepherd Dog. Personally, I love German Shepherd Dog more cause it is a General Purpose Dog. It can be trained to perform any task (sniffing, bomb detections, lead the blind, search and rescue, guard a territory, etc), unlike other breeds that have only one function (mostly guard), or a combination of few functions.
Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by egorov(m): 10:38am On Jul 17, 2016
okikiosibodu:
@OP, some. People also call it POLICE DOG, cos it is used extensively in the US police though they also use other breeds such as Belgian Malnois (I hope I got the spelling well), which is a slightly smaller version of German Shepherd Dog. Personally, I love German Shepherd Dog more cause it is a General Purpose Dog. It can be trained to perform any task (sniffing, bomb detections, lead the blind, search and rescue, guard a territory, etc), unlike other breeds that have only one function (mostly guard), or a combination of few functions.
police dog could be any dog once its been used by the police. Mostly, the notion of calling a Gsd police dog is because its usage in the force is high. Belgian malinois is used more by the military cos its very ferocious and more aggressive compared to the German shepherd. Gsd ranks third in intelligence after border collie and poodle, they are very active and sensitive. My best breed of dog.
Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by okikiosibodu(m): 11:24am On Jul 17, 2016
@egorov, Labrador Retriever also score high on intelligence even more than the German Shepherd Dog, but they are neither guard nor watch dogs, but are great for gaming: retrieving killed shot birds etc(guess their name is "stirring" them).
About the police dog, I said that already , that because they are used extensively by the police. So when POLICE DOG is mentions, German Shepherd Dog comes to mind (just like every tooth-paste in Nigeria is Maclean, every noodle is Indomie, and every seasoning cube is Maggi). Of course any breed could be police dog, but the German Shepherd Dog comes to mind most times sha. They ranking 3 with intelligence made me love them more. They also rank among the top 5 dogs with a "nose", and one of the top 10 guard dog. Finally, German Shepherd Dog is the best for a first time dog owner. German Shepherd Dog all the way

*modified*

1 Like

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by egorov(m): 12:07pm On Jul 17, 2016
okikiosibodu:
Said that already , that because they are used extensively by the police. So when POLICE DOG is mentions, German Shepherd Dog comes to mind (just like every tooth-paste in Nigeria is Maclean, every noodle is Indomie, and every seasoning cube is Maggi). They ranking 3 with intelligence made me love them more. They also rank among the top 5 dogs with a "nose", and one of the top 10 guard dog. Finally, German Shepherd Dog is the best for a first time dog owner. German Shepherd Dog all the way
yes boss, we are on the same page. But I don't know why most people esp breeders don't like going for Gsd, maybe because of the low price its been sold for. But believe there are still expensive gsds around. Some go for 150k or thereabout, depending on the purity. I wanted to import one recently, it was too much, about 4000dollars. The cheapest I saw was in Ghana, 1,050 dollars

1 Like

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by okikiosibodu(m): 12:33pm On Jul 17, 2016
egorov:
yes boss, we are on the same page. But I don't know why most people esp breeders don't like going for Gsd, maybe because of the low price its been sold for. But believe there are still expensive gsds around. Some go for 150k or thereabout, depending on the purity. I wanted to import one recently, it was too much, about 4000dollars. The cheapest I saw was in Ghana, 1,050 dollars

Hmmmmnnnn. You are very right. German Shepherd Dog nw goes for as cheap as 25-30k. Breeders prefer to go for a Rottweiler, Caucasian Ovcharka or Boerboel that's fetch more pay since the stress involved in breeding them are almost the same.
But to be candid with you, what pulls money one those dogs, are mostly pedigree (proper documentation of ancestry) with details of ancestors registered in the governing dogbreed's associated. This ensures that the dog has no mix or diluted gene along its lineage, and it also ensures dogs conform with the breed standard. Getting appraisals for your dogs has some financial implications, same as getting their documents. Breeders somewhat spread this costs to dog buyers, hence the high prices. A pedigree Rottweiler for example, could cost about 300k, but one witout papers that pass the test of the eye, could go for 50k. So you as a canine lover that have no intention of breeding, will rather go for the 50k one (from a Miller) than the 300k own (from a breeder), 'cause you can't spot the difference. That's one of the reasons we need enlightenment in Nigeria. A whatsapp group I joined on whatsapp, is serious working towards getting Boerboels in Nigeria appraised, so that people can start patronising local breeds for pedigree dogs and avoid the stress of importation. Once again, a pedigree German Shepherd Dog's puppy can go for 150k, while a non-pedigree can go for 25k. With proper documentation, you can tell if their is a particular disease, ailment, etc peculiar to the lineage, you can identify a distinguishing feature in the lineage, you can spot what needs to be improved on (structure-wise, health-wise, etc), you can determine what the offspring of the lineage has, that you need for your Dam/ stud to improve in their offsprings, etc. In short, it helps you plan properly on your breeding programme
Note: pedigree does not necessarily mean hybrid or diluted breed, it ensures documentation of ancestry and proves that the ancestry are pure breeds. Even if a dog has the exact qualities of a pedigree dog or even has better structures than a pedigree dog of its breed, its ancestry will be tagged "unknown" 'cause no document to back it up. Pardon my lengthy post

3 Likes

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by robinicule(m): 12:38pm On Jul 17, 2016
okikiosibodu:

Hmmmmnnnn. You are very right. German Shepherd Dog nw goes for as cheap as 25-30k. Breeders prefer to go for a Rottweiler, Caucasian Ovcharka or Boerboel that's fetch more pay since the stress involved in breeding them are almost the same.
But to be candid with you, what pulls money one those dogs, are mostly pedigree (proper documentation of ancestry) with details of ancestors registered in the governing dogbreed's associated. This ensures that the dog has no mix or diluted gene along its lineage, and it also ensures dogs conform with the breed standard. Getting appraisals for your dogs has some financial implications, same as getting their documents. Breeders somewhat spread this costs to dog buyers, hence the high prices. A pedigree Rottweiler for example, could cost about 300k, but one witout papers that pass the test of the eye, could go for 50k. So you as a canine lover that have no intention of breeding, will rather go for the 50k one (from a Miller) than the 300k own (from a breeder), 'cause you can't spot the difference. That's one of the reasons we need enlightenment in Nigeria. A whatsapp group I joined on whatsapp, is serious working towards getting Boerboels in Nigeria appraised, so that people can start patronising local breeds for pedigree dogs and avoid the stress of importation. Once again, a pedigree German Shepherd Dog's puppy can go for 150k, while a non-pedigree can go for 25k. With proper documentation, you can tell if their is a particular disease, ailment, etc peculiar to the lineage, you can identify a distinguishing feature in the lineage, you can spot what needs to be improved on (structure-wise, health-wise, etc), you can determine what the offspring of the lineage has, that you need for your Dam/ stud to improve in their offsprings, etc. In short, it helps you plan properly on your breeding programme
Note: pedigree does not necessarily mean hybrid or diluted breed, it ensures documentation of ancestry and proves that the ancestry are pure breeds. Even if a dog has the exact qualities of a pedigree dog or even has better structures than a pedigree dog of its breed, its ancestry will be tagged "unknown" 'cause no document to back it up. Pardon my lengthy post
you have made sense!

1 Like

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by egorov(m): 12:59pm On Jul 17, 2016
okikiosibodu:
@egorov, Labrador Retriever also score high on intelligence even more than the German Shepherd Dog, but they are neither guard nor watch dogs, but are great for gaming: retrieving killing shot birds etc(guess their name is "stirring" them).
About the police dog, I said that already , that because they are used extensively by the police. So when POLICE DOG is mentions, German Shepherd Dog comes to mind (just like every tooth-paste in Nigeria is Maclean, every noodle is Indomie, and every seasoning cube is Maggi). Of course and breed could be police dog, but the German Shepherd Dog comes to mind most times sha. They ranking 3 with intelligence made me love them more. They also rank among the top 5 dogs with a "nose", and one of the top 10 guard dog. Finally, German Shepherd Dog is the best for a first time dog owner. German Shepherd Dog all the way

*modified*
I beg to differ on ur first line sir, a GSD is more intelligent. Labrador retriever ranks 7th sir.

1 Like

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by TheLoneCitizen(m): 4:11pm On Jul 17, 2016
This is evidently false, my man.

1 Like

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by okikiosibodu(m): 6:44pm On Jul 17, 2016
egorov:
I beg to differ on ur first line sir, a GSD is more intelligent. Labrador retriever ranks 7th sir.
I stand corrected. I came across many articles that's ranked German Shepherd Dog German Shepherd Dog d 3rd most intelligent dog with Labrador Retriever been the second, and Border Collie ranking number 1, but I tried surfing the net for the website I saw it on but could find it. Rather, I found German Shepherd Dog ranking number 3 on many sites and Labrador Retriever ranking next after it. Thanks for the correction though.
Oga Seun I know you love dogs and Lalasticlala I know why love snakes, please come and grace this thread with your presence
Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by okikiosibodu(m): 6:53pm On Jul 17, 2016
TheLoneCitizen:
This is evidently false, my man.
Brother, you obviously didn't read the write up before commenting. He stressed it out that they are the same.
However, the British were loath to using the name “German Shepherd” as the Germans were their arch-enemy and they (the British) didn’t want to associate with the Germans in any way, at least symbolically in this case. So, they coined a new name for the German Shepherd, Alsatian, which somehow some people has come to refer to as a different dog breed.
The Americans, however, had no such hangovers and the name German Shepherd was widely used. Once the war was over, the British also decided that the name Alsatian has outlived its usefulness and went back to its real and trusted name, the German Shepherd.

4 Likes

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by TheLoneCitizen(m): 9:05pm On Jul 17, 2016
okikiosibodu:

Brother, you obviously didn't read the write up before commenting. He stressed it out that they are the same.
However, the British were loath to using the name “German Shepherd” as the Germans were their arch-enemy and they (the British) didn’t want to associate with the Germans in any way, at least symbolically in this case. So, they coined a new name for the German Shepherd, Alsatian, which somehow some people has come to refer to as a different dog breed.
The Americans, however, had no such hangovers and the name German Shepherd was widely used. Once the war was over, the British also decided that the name Alsatian has outlived its usefulness and went back to its real and trusted name, the German Shepherd.

Thanks for the maturity. It's shameful but I admit to not reading it, next time I wouldn't leap without looking.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by egorov(m): 10:39pm On Jul 17, 2016
okikiosibodu:

I stand corrected. I came across many articles that's ranked German Shepherd Dog German Shepherd Dog d 3rd most intelligent dog with Labrador Retriever been the second, and Border Collie ranking number 1, but I tried surfing the net for the website I saw it on but could find it. Rather, I found German Shepherd Dog ranking number 3 on many sites and Labrador Retriever ranking next after it. Thanks for the correction though.
Oga Seun I know you love dogs and Lalasticlala I know why love snakes, please come and grace this thread with your presence
yeah, u are right. But mostly Gsd comes before lr

1 Like

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by okikiosibodu(m): 11:01pm On Jul 17, 2016
TheLoneCitizen:

Thanks for the maturity. It's shameful but I admit to not reading it, next time I wouldn't leap without looking.

3 Likes

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by hatundalexander: 11:18am On Jul 18, 2016
Thank you for this article, this is a beautiful and well-known breed.
It is also fairly healthy, for the dog of its size, meaning it doesn't have those joint problems like hip dysplasia some larger breeds have: http://iheartdogs.com/10-most-common-health-problems-in-large-breed-dogs/
At least, not to the same degree, and they are somewhat preventable by more active lifestyle.
There are still some issues and conditions that owner should look out for, like anal gland inflammation. It is mostly related to unbalanced nutrition, for example feeding the dog with excessive amount of fat. But if it is too late to correct the food, some basic vet medicine may help - https://vetxed.com/en/y/Ypozane/ Curing this condition will also stop the dog from rubbing against the dirt, and will make it feel more comfortable smiley

1 Like

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by egorov(m): 10:24pm On Jul 18, 2016
hatundalexander:
Thank you for this article, this is a beautiful and well-known breed.
It is also fairly healthy, for the dog of its size, meaning it doesn't have those joint problems like hip dysplasia some larger breeds have: http://iheartdogs.com/10-most-common-health-problems-in-large-breed-dogs/
At least, not to the same degree, and they are somewhat preventable by more active lifestyle.
There are still some issues and conditions that owner should look out for, like anal gland inflammation. It is mostly related to unbalanced nutrition, for example feeding the dog with excessive amount of fat. But if it is too late to correct the food, some basic vet medicine may help - https://vetxed.com/en/y/Ypozane/ Curing this condition will also stop the dog from rubbing against the dirt, and will make it feel more comfortable smiley
good one bro, thanks. Will surely look out. The breed is a very active one, therefore in order to avoid health, emotional and psychological issues with d breed, u have to keep engaging them. Like a 3months old pup that came in for training, she's just so hyperactive. Bit she's learning fast

1 Like

Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by deltateam: 6:38am On Jul 20, 2016
When you see the Police dog that so many of you say is the German shepherd you will notice that it is HUGE why is the ones being posted here that lanky?
Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by egorov(m): 6:01pm On Jul 20, 2016
deltateam:
When you see the Police dog that so many of you say is the German shepherd you will notice that it is HUGE why is the ones being posted here that lanky?
that's where the issue of pedigree steps in, its a function of the lineage of the dog, then proper feeding plays a major role as well.
Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by deltateam: 4:46pm On Jul 22, 2016
egorov:
that's where the issue of pedigree steps in, its a function of the lineage of the dog, then proper feeding plays a major role as well.

Is it possible they castrated their dogs?
Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by egorov(m): 6:38pm On Jul 22, 2016
deltateam:

Is it possible they castrated their dogs?
could be, could be not
Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by okikiosibodu(m): 2:27pm On Aug 31, 2016
I created a diary about some dogs I came across with. Let's pay my thrad a visit whenever we are chanced to. I hope we enjoy it
https://www.nairaland.com/3289738/diary-last-visit-dogbreath-kennel
Re: Alsatian And German Shepherd Dogs – Differences And Distinguishing Features by okikiosibodu(m): 8:49pm On Jun 19, 2018
Wow. Miss this terrific thread..... I got some likes from my post here and I was brought back.... A thread with very educative debate, by high intellects

(1) (Reply)

Impressive Male Caucasian Available For Stud Services (pics) / Shocking Photos: The Cambodian Boy Who Sleeps With A 16ft Python / What's Happening To Caucasian Breed??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.