Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,811 members, 7,806,275 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? (1957 Views)

Nigeria's Economy Is Finally Out Of Recession - World Economics / Why Nigeria's Economy Is In Recession – Lai mohammed / 'if There’s No Electricity, It’s Not President Buhari’s Fault' - Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 8:49pm On Jul 17, 2016
AishaYesufu in this article, feels the current economic situation isn't Buhari's fault.
Well, she asked for people's opinion and got a classic reply from @JajaPhD grin

Mummy, is it Buhari’s fault that the economy is bad?”
My daughter asked me this when she returned from school one day. She’s referring to Muhammadu Buhari, the president of Nigeria. “You must always call him President Buhari,” I corrected my daughter. Then I realised this was another opportunity to educate my daughter about economy and finances.

I told her it’s not President Buhari’s fault that the economy is bad, rather it is the choices we made as a country. I told her Nigeria is like a big family. Imagine that the father had a big job and they paid him a very good salary. In this family, perhaps the mother chose not to work because the father’s salary was so good. The family lived well, and often traveled abroad for holidays, wearing designer clothes. Everything they did was expensive. They had huge parties all the time. Their children went to expensive schools and they go abroad for treatment even for a simple headache.

The father earned well, but did not save anything and sometimes borrowed even more money to maintain their extravagant lifestyle. At one time some family members started stealing the money for their own personal enjoyment. They stole this money right out of the family account.

One day the company the father worked for was no longer able pay the father his big salary, so they gave him a pay cut. Remember, the father did not save when he was earning a high income. Remember, the family led a very expensive lifestyle. Remember, the mother had no job, so she couldn’t support the family. So, there was problem.

Eventually, a new father was brought in and the salary was reduced further and further. The family still had no savings and money was still being stolen from the family account. The new father found it difficult to support that expensive lifestyle the family was accustomed to. In this case, there would be economic problems and it wouldn’t necessarily be the father’s fault. In the meantime, the father must still deal with the people who stole from the family account, and try to recover the money.

“Do you understand now?” I asked. “Yes, I do,” said my daughter, and she went away, satisfied.

Our children know something is wrong and we need to explain to them what is going on. At a school meeting recently, I overheard a parent wondering how can she tell her child they can’t afford to pay school fees? I told them as parents you need to financially educate your children. This is not done in school, so it’s the parent’s duty to ensure that children are aware of economy and finances.

My children are part of our family’s economic life. They know what’s going on in our businesses and their father’s job. They know when things are good that we are investing, and they know why we invest. They know where the money for their school fees is coming from and what sacrifices were made to make ends meet. When business is bad, they know. At one time I thought we couldn’t pay my daughter’s school fees and I told her she had to delay a week or more before starting school (we always pay school fees before resumption date. It’s my personal stand). Luckily we managed to pay on time, but she learned that it’s a possibility and understands life sometimes throws a spanner into the works.

When we joined my husband in Abuja in 2011, my children’s school fees were fifty times higher than what we were used to paying. I had to sit my children down to explain that we needed to make sacrifices for their education. One of the decisions we made as a family was to reduce travelling abroad for holidays. So we did, and my children understood why.

In December, my daughter went to Europe for her school’s annual ski trip. She noted that there were a lot fewer students on the trip than previous years. My daughter also went to Wales this month for the Duke of Edinburgh expedition. Similarly, not all the students participating in the Duke of Edinburgh programme went for the expedition. I had to explain to her there was economic downturn and it was not easy for all families to afford such trips. At the moment, we are seriously worried about paying for education because our currency was losing value. She gave me a worried look and said, “God willing, everything will be okay.” “Amen,” I replied.

My daughter left the house a better-informed child. I hope that when she becomes an adult, she will be better prepared for economic and financial challenges because she learned about it as a child.
@AishaYesufu
http://www.worldmomsblog.com/2016/07/07/nigeria-financial-education-children/#comment-1207302
Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 8:50pm On Jul 17, 2016
The reply she got from @JajaPhD
@AishaYesufu

I have read your article Madam and while I commend you for taking time out to teach your daughter these things, I must also point out that you could have done a much more better job with regards to the topic at hand. May I point your daughter to the father in another family, Obama, who took over the reins during a recession. You failed to teach your daughter that while it may be true that a lot of savings weren't made, there were savings nonetheless. There were also investments in SMSEs to boost the economy. The father did a good job with the family farm for food security. This economy is bad simply because the current father, Buhari, spent too long running the country as he ran his ranch. Following the Brexit vote and subsequent Tory leadership race, the £ suffered and investors were panicking.However, the British Govt put in work immediately to prevent further decline including slashing interest rates. Osborne also travelled to USA to quell the fears of investors and to reassure them of the resilience of the British economy. Immediate results included the rebound of the £ and the FTSE 100 made more gains than it did before the Brexit vote.
Not too long after assuming her role as PM, Ms May appointed key cabinet members.
Now,[b]back to our family, what did our father do?? He appointed a photographer. He also appointed media aides. Then he started constructing a helipad in Daura. He also began his world tour, travelling with select APC Governors.
For over 6 months (or so), there were no cabinet members. No economic direction. Our economy was on autopilot.
During this time, the Govt kept flip flopping. There was so much confusion. Even our father didn't know of Emiefele's actions.
It'd be foolish of any investor to remain in such an environment and so, our economy suffered even more.
You also forgot to tell your daughter that the new father, during campaigns, made a lot of promises he knew were impossible.
Everyone knew that our savings had gone down. It was obvious that there was systemic corruption. The problems were glaring.Notwithstanding, our new father looked us in the eyes and told us bare faced lies. He even got people to bully us for asking.
So, by blaming "no savings or investments during the boom", you are actually lying to her and sanctioning Buhari's failures.
Some key lessons for her:
1. Before you make promises, be sure that you can fulfil them.
2. Don't be wise in your own eyes. It's ok not to know things. However, ask questions and be willing to learn.
3. Priorities. Important things first. Buhari abandoned the economy for a wild goose chase of recovering loots. Very foolish decision.
4. If you have a dream and have had time to prepare for it, you should be ready when the opportunity comes. Buhari had 12 years to prepare for this his administration. He failed to prepare and so, he's failing now.
5. You don't have to lie in order to be accepted. Buhari lied to us that he was poor and austere. He's a bad example to kids.[/b]
My break is over now and so I can't maintain a conversation but I hope you get my point. My regards to your girl. Bless her.
@JajaPhD

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 8:50pm On Jul 17, 2016
AishaYesufu got schooled grin
Here are some reactions from twitter users wink
Cc lalasticlala, this is worth FP for the night.
Both APC and PDP need to learn from this constructive and intelligent form of argument.

1 Like

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 8:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
More grin

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 8:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
Still sori
Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Elchappo: 8:52pm On Jul 17, 2016
Keep deceiving ya daughter, no be Buhari fault nah Fela fault...

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by UndisputedBosom(m): 8:53pm On Jul 17, 2016
Nooo na my fault say economy bad....anuofia angry

Op e get as e dey do u undecided

3 Likes

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jul 17, 2016
Who go read dah long tin angry *grabs mic* clears throat* buhari is a kunu sipping gworo chewing ,nono drinking bastardd * drops mic*

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by denko(m): 8:54pm On Jul 17, 2016
When you stop taking responsibility as a leader you have failed

8 Likes

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by zarakay(f): 8:56pm On Jul 17, 2016
Oh! what a long story.

whose fault is it then

3 Likes

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by onatisi(m): 8:57pm On Jul 17, 2016
Na Obama fault.

Ode

4 Likes

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by 234GT(m): 9:00pm On Jul 17, 2016
Zombie spotted!

7 Likes

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by RZArecta(m): 9:02pm On Jul 17, 2016
It is Baba Ijebu's fault oshi

4 Likes

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jul 17, 2016
Na Op dead ancestors fault. Z-o-m-b-i-e personified.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 9:10pm On Jul 17, 2016
ANAMBRA11:
Who go read dah long tin angry *grabs mic* clears throat* buhari is a kunu sipping gworo chewing ,nono drinking bastardd * drops mic*
Kindly read Jaja's reply grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 9:13pm On Jul 17, 2016
NinjaX:
Na Op dead ancestors fault. Z-o-m-b-i-e personified.
How do U mean? undecided
I no U didn't read it though, now U assume the OP to be a Zombie grin

Well for the record , I'm a proud Wailer grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 9:18pm On Jul 17, 2016
Lalasticlala
Isn't this worthy enough for FP undecided
Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 17, 2016
Dcomrade:

How do U mean? undecided
I no U didn't read it though, now U assume the OP to be a Zombie grin

Well for the record , I'm a proud Wailer grin
Lol. You are right I didn't bother to read the content of the thread. Sorry no vex. I thought you were a member of the Zombies Choir come to do what they live for: chanting "Sai baba!" at the top of their voice.
Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Nobody: 9:21pm On Jul 17, 2016
Chai! Nigerians are not smiling.
Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by ITbomb(m): 9:24pm On Jul 17, 2016
Zombies will be like, "jaja is ipod"

3 Likes

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by greatgod2012(f): 9:28pm On Jul 17, 2016
Just imagine this.....if you sacked your former manager because of his nonperformance and misappropriation of funds, then employ another one but after a year of his appointment, he's still giving excuses that his present nonperformance is due to the fault of his predecessor, will you agree with him?

If you won't, then, Buhari is to be blamed for our present economic situation. He campaigned that he knew the problems facing the country and that he has the wherewithal of solving the problems, that's why people came out em-mass to vote for him, blaming the past administration for his nonperformance is not only inappropriate but also ridiculously shameful. It shows he's isn't capable

Abeg, enough said.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 9:35pm On Jul 17, 2016
NinjaX:

Lol. You are right I didn't bother to read the content of the thread. Sorry no vex. I thought you were a member of the Zombies Choir come to do what they live for: chanting "Sai baba!" at the top of their voice.
Oya! To appease me, drop this grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 9:39pm On Jul 17, 2016
Some people won't like this thread, they be like: grin

Lalasticlala you mean this isn't worth FP permanent site? undecided

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Abeymills(m): 9:44pm On Jul 17, 2016
The dullard clueless president should be blamed
Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 9:46pm On Jul 17, 2016
If you have a dream and have had time to prepare for it, you should be ready when the opportunity comes. Buhari had 12 years to prepare for this his administration. He failed to prepare and so, he's failing now. He's a bad example to kids.
Lets dabb for Jaja, he's the real MVP grin

3 Likes

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Abeymills(m): 9:46pm On Jul 17, 2016
The dullard clueless president should be blamed his wicked
Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 9:48pm On Jul 17, 2016
Abeymills:
The dullard clueless president should be blamed
GBAM....you have said it all grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 9:49pm On Jul 17, 2016
ITbomb:
Zombies will be like, "jaja is ipod"
grin grin grin
Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by P0intBlank(m): 9:51pm On Jul 17, 2016
The Economy is worse than he met it. Buhari has to take responsibility for this "change".
Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Pavarottii(m): 9:53pm On Jul 17, 2016
No its Mugabe's fault.

1 Like

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by Dcomrade(m): 9:59pm On Jul 17, 2016
P0intBlank:
The Economy is worse than he met it. Buhari has to take responsibility for this "change".
Exactly. You may want to read the first comment(jaja reply ) grin

1 Like

Re: Is It Buhari's Fault That The Economy Is Bad? by ConqueredWest: 9:59pm On Jul 17, 2016
its Jonathan's fault.
Some Nigerians are useless.
Very soon she will blame PDP as a typical Zombie

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Can Turn A Rural Village Into A City By Chamberlain Akujobi / Tag This Photo Of Fayose and Tinubu. / Whistle Blowing: EFCC Discovered Another Stolen Cash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.