Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,815 members, 7,798,746 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:42 AM

Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. (23517 Views)

Is This Exam Questions Or Exam Essay? See Exam Question In Unilorin / U.K Exam Question: "The Advance-Fee Fraud Is Also Known As Nigerian Fraud" / 18 Jambite Palava We Faced in 2016 with Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Cherishing(f): 5:33pm On Jul 18, 2016
Even google dey fail me

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by dovetark: 5:35pm On Jul 18, 2016
Ever corrosive Uniben student!!! Abeg bro's what's your major?
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by babyfaceafrica: 5:35pm On Jul 18, 2016
K
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Swiftlee(m): 5:36pm On Jul 18, 2016
I will modify with suggestions soon
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by olaolaking: 5:37pm On Jul 18, 2016
Give me 20k and I will wow you
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jul 18, 2016
ThePeacemaker:
Is this a question or statement??
JESU!!

It's a request!
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by olaolaking: 5:38pm On Jul 18, 2016
Give me 1.2billion Naira and I will wow you
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by olamds(m): 5:39pm On Jul 18, 2016
Ur professor wicked oh!!!!
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by MakaveliTheDon(m): 5:40pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:
lol...I take God beg u naaaaw
don't mind him joor e no sabi am
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by yorex2011: 5:42pm On Jul 18, 2016
I'll be back
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by orobs93(m): 5:43pm On Jul 18, 2016
U sud include the merit and demerit of both
Argumentation on d 2

evansjeff:
I'm a masters student of UNIBEN, prof just threw this question at us and since we are starting exams on Wednesday here, it's only logical to suspect it's an exam question. Though I've done some works on it already but I feel I might get some more brilliant elucidations from gurus here, it's not like a question we can just get answers for from any of the numerous voluminous books of the course, it demands application of knowledge. The question is:

"cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being".

Thanks in advance.
Mods please move this to front page so more persons can contribute.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by sinaj(f): 5:43pm On Jul 18, 2016
"cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being

Lol dnt mind this Profs. They will set a simple question and use vague words to make it seem tough nd throw u off balance.

He wants to know if you believe psychological and educational testing increase or shapes the worth of an individual.

If you agree, explain why you agreed.

If you disagree, explain.

I think they set something similar to this when awas in year 2 in Psychological testing.

Btw what r u studying in you masters @ evansjeff

3 Likes

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by jesusjewel1(f): 5:49pm On Jul 18, 2016
VickyRotex:
Your Professor will see this thread and change the exam question. angry angry undecided
To something more simpler In Jesus' Name.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by donstevoz(m): 5:53pm On Jul 18, 2016
I think the question isn't too hard if you look at it carefully. What I think prof meant is for you to state reasons to support and oppose the following statement: 'examination is a true test of knowledge' or 'examination is not a true test of knowledge'
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by 19naia(m): 5:53pm On Jul 18, 2016
There are many approaches to the matter but these links are along the lines of professionals in the working field of psychology and education.
So this is more the medical industry approach and some about Employment screening to be sure to test employees for psychology and education. School screening as well included. This approach may carry you through a doctoral level citation sef.

These links show where it is applied and would be very good info for the argument supporting it. Its hard to find arguments against it when it applies to dealing with children who were born with abnormal dispositions psychlogically such as Autism and down syndrome among others.
Psychological testing plays a significant part in understanding their educational needs, potential or receptivity ,and educational testing plays as significant a part in discovering their education limitations and needs.

One link talks about elderly people and testing for Dementia. Definitely a reason to value the testing, but the issue of accuracy was brought up with risk of diagnosing grandma with Dementia even though she still manages a sharp mind at her age.

No science is perfect and so there is always more to research and learn.

I think the argument against it would be more along the lines of people who are born fully intact with no known disabilities. I added more links besides the first two medical oriented ones. It seems the side of argument in favor is far more common than the side against it.

[url][/url]http://www.inova.org/healthcare-services/inova-kellar-center/psychological-services

[url][/url]http://apa.org/science/programs/testing/index.aspx

[url][/url]http://www.techrepublic.com/article/pros-and-cons-of-psychological-testing/

[url][/url]http://www.assessmentpsychology.com/testtopics.htm
" Mini-Mental State Examination & Dementia
Br J Gen Practice 2002; 52: 1002–1003
MMSE for screening elderly dementia patients questioned

Researchers have found that using the Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE) to screen elderly people for dementia may not be as accurate as previously thought, raising a question mark over its potential use in primary care.

Nia White and colleagues from the University of Wales in Bangor found that using the MMSE for screening dementia in the elderly gave a false-positive result in 86% of cases."

[url][/url]http://digitalcommons.law.umaryland.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2412&context=mlr

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Ofornaira: 5:55pm On Jul 18, 2016
op I think this question is similar with the statement that says that examination is not the true test of ones knowledge. it is now left for u to write for and against it based on psychological and educational testing. u should center your points on how the society perceives both educational and psychological testing as the way of quantifying man. this is my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by figur: 5:56pm On Jul 18, 2016
From my own point of view, experts and theorist have argued that educational testing such as exams and continuous assessment as well as psychometric testing of human beings is not a true test of knowledge and as such, it is wrong to grade or categorise human beings based on the result of such test. ..... to be continued

2 Likes

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by VickyRotex(f): 5:57pm On Jul 18, 2016
jesusjewel1:

To something more simpler In Jesus' Name.

cheesy Amin Jesu o. You writing the exam too?
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by sonnie10: 5:58pm On Jul 18, 2016
"cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being"

My understanding is that you are not expected to give your opinion but to research on the topic ; "cite". You could use your institution's online library to search the key words and read scholarly articles on the topic. Then, make an argument based on your readings, highlighting relevant points by the authors.

The way to cheat in this is to read more articles on the topic. Next, you select those that have opposing views, then you use ideas from the two sides of the argument to develop your paper. You have to be careful to avoid plagiarism, to be safe, cite information which is not your original idea. There is no harm in doing so because the question says "cite."

3 Likes

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by nameoh: 5:59pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:
I'm a masters student of UNIBEN, prof just threw this question at us and since we are starting exams on Wednesday here, it's only logical to suspect it's an exam question. Though I've done some works on it already but I feel I might get some more brilliant elucidations from gurus here, it's not like a question we can just get answers for from any of the numerous voluminous books of the course, it demands application of knowledge. The question is:

"cite arguments for and against the statement that psychological and educational testing is consistent with a belief in the dignity and worth of the individual human being".

Thanks in advance.

It means your should argue for and against the use of psychological and educational testing as a measure of evaluating the worth of different human beings.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 18, 2016
@OP please tell your friend that he should improve his Research focus especially at Masters level.

This is all about IQ testing and how it has been used to discriminate or profile race and ethnic groups based on a score. just google it bru
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by basingstoke: 6:06pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:

Thanks in advance.
Hello, copy the question and paste in google usa or uk or ireland. various article will come up then use the one that fits your demand
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Phi001(m): 6:06pm On Jul 18, 2016
Wait...lemme ask my mother.
Her number is not available at the moment. I will tell you the answer tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by pasjohn1: 6:19pm On Jul 18, 2016
evansjeff:

Thanks in advance.

All your Prof. Wants is that Psychological. Educational and belief testing are saying the same thing about human dignity and worth. Or the 3 are not saying the same thing about human dignity and worth. My opinion...
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by lanreni: 6:20pm On Jul 18, 2016
He is indeed a lecturer!! LOL! You can get a Phd with this question!
Now you have to first of all take it one after the other. Examples of educational testing are JAMB, NECO, SSCE and undergraduate/graduate exams. An example of a psychological exam is the IQ test.
The research question is simply saying: If I have a high JAMB score or a first class or i score high IQ tests like Eistein, should that in itself determine my worth of how the society values me? Remember the key word is the BELIEF/VALUE system of such exams. What does these exams actually test and is it all encompassing of all human potential and capabilities. Yes or No, you must back it with references.
If you are of the opinion that it should not be a basis of true value, i think you will have a better arsenal of materials at your disposal. All over the world, people are faulting those kinds of tests and the plethora of those with low IQ and lower degrees who have high values in the society is increasing by the day.
Don't just localize your argument. To argue about corruption and exam malpractice as basis to throw it away will be seen as childish and myopic.It means your work would be meaningless to saner societies where corruption in exams is not an issue.Let me stop here before i will be seen as giving you expo!
if in need of more consultancy or difficulty in downloading some materials when browsing, contact me. Enjoy the free consultancy above. Goodluck OP.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by olaBanks(m): 6:21pm On Jul 18, 2016
Educational test tests are series of standardized examinations that are used to evaluate and appraise an individual usually a student. This is to say that courses taken in schools form basis of Educational testing.
A psychological test is an out of the box approach that is used to gain deeper understanding of an individual. It can be used to test character and emotional intelligence. Such as whether an individual will crack under pressure or not.

Arguement for
Since, a significant number of persons would tend to tie inputs to outputs (Carrot and stick relationship). Then the worth of a man can be explained by submitting him to Educational and Psychological test. The best ways of knowing better candidates (or best candidates) is to subject them to test. This means that since the best candidate would emerge, then he worth and dignty is known. More so, even if the best candidate did not emerge, the person who (whether by fluke, nature or design) is assumed the best. He earn earnsns his dignity. This is to say that the worth of a person is earned.

Argument Against
Test of any kind cannot be true test of knowledge, woth and dignity of human person. An inidividual fails a test or did badly in a course does not. Mean he is less of worth and dignity. A humble grocer who is known in her locale as being trust worthy can be said to have being dignified by her people. Deeds and mass consent can earn an individual dignity. This is to say that simple virtues such as truth and perspiration can earn an individual dignity. The capitalism conception of life as made it a thinking that dignity and worthy of an individual be measured by material possession at their disposal. Can this be right? No!
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Danzakidakura(m): 6:21pm On Jul 18, 2016
@ Op this is a simple question. what it mean is that psychological thinking and your educational reasoning as a person is determined by your believe and social status which he means as dignity, its a straight logical and apply question. the ways you handle situations both rational and academically is mostly influence by your believe and experience. example you discovers that no mater how educated you grow up to be your child hood experience still control most of your actions.
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by tens4real(m): 6:24pm On Jul 18, 2016
hmmmm this one is strong indeed
but let's Analyse this
psychological testing: are written visual or verbal evaluations administered to access the cognitive and emotional functioning of a child or and adult and the purpose is to access a variety of mental abilities and attributes including achievement and abilities
whereas educational testing are test like GMAT and the rest to to measure once knowledge skill aptitude physical fitness and base on so many subject
so the question is more like a debate is either u write on the fact that psychological testing is consistent or dependable wit a believe in the dignity of an individual or u say educational testing is better off more dependable on the dignity of an individual with a strong point to back up claim!!
I don't even if what am saying even make sense I just want to make a common sense sha
my 2 cent OP
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by RobinHez(m): 6:28pm On Jul 18, 2016
God! I've been laughing uncontrollably.... The comments being made so far.... grin
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by tuasefemi(m): 6:28pm On Jul 18, 2016
Speak for and also against the motion that says : Education and psychological/emotional balance can be used to measure the dignity of a man!
Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by Oluwalosheleyi(m): 6:44pm On Jul 18, 2016
Its quite simple bro.To write in support of that statement: as humans we believe in dignity,self worth and pride, and this sense of dignity is often determined by our achievements our level of competence,our acceptability in the society,our percieved importance and some other things. Psychological and educational testing provides an avenue for us to appraise ourselves if we are worthy,if we have fulfilled the requirements for "dignity".Furthermore it also gives the society a means of identifying the elite or grade people into classes of failures,average people and successful people thereby reinforcing the notion of dignity and motivating others to attain higher levels socially.
SPEAKING AGAINST: psychological and educational tests are not consistent with the believe in dignity or worth, especially in africa because human dignity entails a lot of ideas/values such as honour,courage,honesty,loyalty,patriotism,etc which cannot be adequately tested with current psychological or educational tests.

1 Like

Re: Help A Nairalander Explain This Exam Question To Be Faced In Two Days Time. by evansjeff(m): 6:49pm On Jul 18, 2016
dovetark:
Ever corrosive Uniben student!!! Abeg bro's what's your major?
Evaluation and Counselling Psychology

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Crash: OOU Students Block Sagamu-ore Highway, Curse Driver / Dilapidated Structure: Edo School Children Kneel To Beg Obaseki For Help (video) / 2018/2019 Lasu Admission Guide Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.