Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:21 PM

Top 7 Reasons For OAU's Consistent Closure - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top 7 Reasons For OAU's Consistent Closure (515 Views)

Top 7 Most Beautiful Campuses In Nigeria / List Of Top 7 Universities In Africa (photos) / Entry Requirements For OAU "Omega Chicks Circle", Ladies-Only Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 7 Reasons For OAU's Consistent Closure by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 19, 2016
It's no longer news that the most storied university in Nigeria- Obafemi Awolowo University is presently under lock for almost 3 weeks (3 months of no academic activities) due to industrial actions by the Non Academic Staff Union of the University on the so-called faulty election of a new vice-Chancellor.

I looked at some reasons why OAU, despite it's popularity, strike has become a annual ritual.

Every member of the institution is an activist

Every member of the university is an activist in their own right, from the most qualified professor to the Market women.
Sometimes last year the Students' Union embarked on protest against bad welfare.
It will be surprising that just after 3 months, the ASSU protested to go on a 53 working days leave, which made students to spend 3 months at home. On resuming, NASU embarked on indefinite strike based on VCship position election. It was surprising the day a cleaner slapped a guy for accusing her of theft.
Activism here and there when you are not Nelson Mandela

Legacies of our Past Heroes
The legacies that the university heroes left behind always spur the students to action. For example the assassination of Afrika.

Unfulfilled Promises Made on our Matriculation Day
I can remember in the university hall in my part one days, the promises of university management about our welfare condition and basic infrastructures like Internet services-which were never met and clean drinkable water. On the long run, if the promises are not actualized, they go awire.

Bad Communication Link Between The Management and Students
In recent times, the Management has failed to come out openly- in person to address the students during any form of protest, but always threaten the students with school closure and suspensions.
But they always address the press.

Overexpectation of Students
Immediately you hear the school's anthem and the line that says Africa's most beautiful campus eclipses you ear. Your expectation is to see "Africa's Havard" where everything available are exotic.
So they tend to alway revote when their welfare deteriorates.

The School's Anthem

Towards the end of the anthem a line says
for sports and struggle
So we always struggle to graduate, to pass and the likes and when the Management overides us, we also struggle with them.

It has become Habitual
Many of the students are so used to it that they can pray for any form of strike.

We pray God help OAU

Feel free to add yours.

https://scholarzine./2016/07/19/ten-reasons-for-oau-consistent-strike/

cc lalasticlala , Fynestboi
Re: Top 7 Reasons For OAU's Consistent Closure by Doyin400l(m): 1:52pm On Jul 19, 2016
I give glory to God for making me see this day. Nothing gladeans the heart than for one to be FTC on Nairaland. I thank my fans for supporting me this far.
Re: Top 7 Reasons For OAU's Consistent Closure by clockwise(m): 4:14pm On Jul 19, 2016
well said. hmmm i cant just imagine dat admission seekers still deem it fit to make OAU as their school of choice.
Re: Top 7 Reasons For OAU's Consistent Closure by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 19, 2016
clockwise:
well said. hmmm i cant just imagine dat admission seekers still deem it fit to make OAU as their school of choice.

Abi
that's what makes OAU the best jare.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

World Economic Forum List 9 Ways To Make Education Fit For The 21st Century / Oau New Resumption Date:7th August 2016 / JAMB Withdraws 2016 Admission List From All Institutions In The Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.