Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,938 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:27 AM

Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) (11953 Views)

Top 20 Best Polytechnics In Nigeria 2016 / Federal Scholarship Board Of Nigeria 2016 Scholarship Awards / Top 11 Best School Of Nursing In Nigeria 2016 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 1:56pm On Jul 19, 2016
Overtime, Nigerians have grown to believe that their fatherland cannot and will never be able to afford standard education for her medical students. This is why those who can afford it go to other countries to take medical courses. With a critical analysis of the Nigerian Medical sector, you will find out that this opinion is just true to a small extent. Nigeria has been doing a lot recently to see that the Nigerian Universities offering Medical courses are well equipped to meet the standard. Therefore, citizens who intend taking medicine related courses should be rest assured that there are actually schools who have what it takes to give them the desired and expected education and training.

The top ten medical schools in Nigeria are as follows:
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 1:59pm On Jul 19, 2016
10. Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma (AAU)
It is the last in our list, but that does not mean that it is relatively ill equipped. It ranks as one of the best at the moment, if not, it would not have made it to this list. One very interesting thing about AAU is that they hardly go on strike, so you are assured of a smooth and uninterrupted program.
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 2:02pm On Jul 19, 2016
9. University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN)
University of Nigeria remains one of the best Universities in Nigeria at the moment. The federal government who owns and runs the schools are really doing a lot to see that it is well equipped to produce professionals in the area of medicine. UNN has a very impressive Teaching hospital.

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 2:04pm On Jul 19, 2016
8. Delta State University, Abraka (DELSU)
The Delta State University is among the Nigerian Universities that have a standard teaching hospital. In fact, critical Medical cases like kidney transplant is being well taken care of now at the Delta State University Teaching Hospital.

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 2:07pm On Jul 19, 2016
7. Lagos State University (LASU)
The Lagos University Teaching Hospital and the Medical School Complex grew out of a Cabinet decision of April, 1961 when the Council of Ministers set up a Cabinet Committee to consider the recommendations of Sir Eric Ashby’s Commission on Post-Secondary Education in Nigeria. Since then, the Lagos State University has continued to rank top in the list of best Universities in terms of studying Medical sciences.

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 2:10pm On Jul 19, 2016
6. University of Benin (UNIBEN)
The University of Benin School of Medicine was established in 1973, then Faculty of Medicine to run a 6-year Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) full-time degree program. Uniben is among the Nigerian Universities that are doing tremendously well in the area of medicine over the years.
connectnigeria
medigist
ubth.org

1 Share

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 2:12pm On Jul 19, 2016
5. University of Lagos (UNILAG)
Established in 1962, the University of Lagos (Unilag) sought to train professionals for the newly independent Nigeria. With an emphasis on research, the University’s faculty has published over 1,700 papers, with the most publications coming out of the medical, science, and engineering faculties. The university was recently one of seven institutions to receive a share of a $1.2 million research grant awarded by the Lagos State government. A great part of it goes to the funding and improvement of the medical school.

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by TRAY2(m): 2:12pm On Jul 19, 2016
Following ......
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 2:17pm On Jul 19, 2016
4. Ahmado Bello University, Zaria (ABU)
Ahmadu Bello University is well known for having adequate facilities, devoted lecturers and standard structures that makes it one of the best places to study critical courses like Medicine. Unless you do not want to go North, if not, I bet you, ABU has no rival in Northern Nigeria when it comes to medical studies.

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 2:21pm On Jul 19, 2016
3. University of Ilorin
University of Ilorin is one of the best places to study medicine in Nigeria as they have virtually all it takes, and more interestingly, does not go on strike. There is near absolute concentration in the education system there.

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 2:25pm On Jul 19, 2016
2. Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
OAU has a renowned college of medicine where so many critical illnesses have been successfully taken care of. This really ascertains the opinion that it is a wonderful place to get equipped as a prospective doctor in Nigeria.
Its teaching hospital was the first in sub Saharan Africa to successfully separate Siamese twins.

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Orezy5(m): 2:29pm On Jul 19, 2016
1. University of Ibadan (UI)
At the moment, UI is yet to have a rival in the list of best schools to study medicine in Nigeria. This university is one of the best in Africa and also when compared to some other non-African countries. UI has close ties with international institutions, including the Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine in the United States that sends its medical students to UI’s teaching hospital. The major challenge here is that you need to work extra-hard in order to make it to the admission list as there is usually untold competition.

http://buzznigeria.com/about-to-study-medicine-you-must-see-these-best-10-medical-schools/2/

Cc: Fynestboi, Obinoscopy, dominique, Seun , lalasticlala, mynd44

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Fynestboi: 2:35pm On Jul 19, 2016
Nice.
cool
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Mediapace: 2:44pm On Jul 19, 2016
Where is BUMESCHO? Buhari medical shcool where he kept all looted funds?
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Mediapace: 2:44pm On Jul 19, 2016
Where is BUMESCHO? Buhari medical shcool where he kept all looted funds?
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by McJane(f): 3:17pm On Jul 19, 2016
No picture for Unilag??

Well with all this I think the best teaching hospital in Nigeria is in uyo!

Anambra!

And Delta!

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Rukkydelta(f): 5:44pm On Jul 19, 2016
I rep DELSU
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Donpre(m): 8:46pm On Jul 19, 2016
Well this is definitely the OP's opinion, cus there is no way lasu and delsu would be better med schools than UNN, which had aspirants of 12k in the 2016 utme, a good teaching hospital and its host of professors, not to mention its teaching hospital is funded and maintained by the FG

BTW, wah dah hell is AAU doing in a top 10 when we've got federal universities with better lecturers and hospitals

Lastly, move OAU to the 10th position(or even out of the list), incessant strike isn't a feature of a good med school

infact, this is a better list;
UI
Unilorin
Unilag
Uniben
UNN
ABU
Lasu
Uniport
Delsu
Uniuyo(or OAU)
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Emilokoiyawon: 10:11pm On Jul 19, 2016
grin
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Lushka(m): 11:15pm On Jul 19, 2016
Donpre:
Well this is definitely the OP's opinion, cus there is no way lasu and delsu would be better med schools than UNN, which had aspirants of 12k in the 2016 utme, a good teaching hospital and its host of professors, not to mention its teaching hospital is funded and maintained by the FG

BTW, wah dah hell is AAU doing in a top 10 when we've got federal universities with better lecturers and hospitals

Lastly, move OAU to the 10th position(or even out of the list), incessant strike isn't a feature of a good med school

UI
Unilorin
Unilag
Uniben
UNN
ABU
Lasu
Uniport
Delsu
Uniuyo(or OAU)
Better list. The op is silly and selfish.
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by hardbody: 11:52pm On Jul 19, 2016
Donpre:

UI
Unilorin
Unilag
Uniben
UNN
ABU
Lasu
Uniport
Delsu
Uniuyo(or OAU)

I will rather die than allow any medical graduate from any of these schools to use me as an extended practical item. God forbid ekwensu
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by kennynelcon(m): 7:33am On Jul 20, 2016
Person go wake up, comot phone dey spread rumor.
Are u NMA? Are you NUC?

Then why are you lying.

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Donpre(m): 9:08pm On Jul 20, 2016
hardbody:

I will rather die than allow any medical graduate from any of these schools to use me as an extended practical item. God forbid ekwensu
I doubt you'd have a choice when you're really down and in need of a doctor's help

1 Like

Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by hardbody: 9:22pm On Jul 20, 2016
Donpre:

I doubt you'd have a choice when you're really down and in need of a doctor's help

Naa. I have never had a cause for surgery. That is the only thing a doctor can do for me.

Every other symptom can be googled and the medication and dosage is provided online. I simply go to my trusted pharmacy and buy the drugs. Even if the drugs are not across the counter stuff, i can scribble in those deliberate illegible hieroglyphics that doctors write and it will be treated as doctors prescription. Guess what? I usually get well. I also own a machine that i use in running periodic tests. With a laser in my palms, i run a test and view the outcome on my laptop and thereafter i analyse the result. Clinical jargon are quickly googled.

God bless the founder of this thing called internet which is even why I am able to respond to you from a bar as I chat. cheesy grin

If it's just me, doctors will be out of business. Truth be told, it's all trial and error

Doc....guy how are u feeling

Me.....I feel bloated

Doc....when did you first feel that way

Me.....after my meal today

Doc....what did you eat

Me......rice and salad

Doc.....scribbling

I could type bloated tummy and get all the possible options and guess what, my system rejects something. If it's lactose based for instance, drugs are prescribed.

Anyways....to each his own
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Donpre(m): 9:11pm On Jul 21, 2016
hardbody:

Naa. I have never had a cause for surgery. That is the only thing a doctor can do for me.

Every other symptom can be googled and the medication and dosage is provided online. I simply go to my trusted pharmacy and buy the drugs. Even if the drugs are not across the counter stuff, i can scribble in those deliberate illegible hieroglyphics that doctors write and it will be treated as doctors prescription. Guess what? I usually get well. I also own a machine that i use in running periodic tests. With a laser in my palms, i run a test and view the outcome on my laptop and thereafter i analyse the result. Clinical jargon are quickly googled.

God bless the founder of this thing called internet which is even why I am able to respond to you from a bar as I chat. cheesy grin

If it's just me, doctors will be out of business. Truth be told, it's all trial and error

Doc....guy how are u feeling

Me.....I feel bloated

Doc....when did you first feel that way

Me.....after my meal today

Doc....what did you eat

Me......rice and salad

Doc.....scribbling

I could type bloated tummy and get all the possible options and guess what, my system rejects something. If it's lactose based for instance, drugs are prescribed.

Anyways....to each his own
seems like you've got it all figured out... Unfortunately, not all illnesses can be diagnosed by your numerous machines, more so, doctors do more of treating than diagnosis. So I hope you're one hell azz writer and every sickness has a drug prescription, cus its gonna be funny when you'd walk in my hospital saying these words "doc, I need your help"... Stay well my friend
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by hardbody: 11:18pm On Jul 21, 2016
Donpre:

seems like you've got it all figured out... Unfortunately, not all illnesses can be diagnosed by your numerous machines, more so, doctors do more of treating than diagnosis. So I hope you're one hell azz writer and every sickness has a drug prescription, cus its gonna be funny when you'd walk in my hospital saying these words "doc, I need your help"... Stay well my friend

Never will i, you can take that assurance to the bank.

I have never trusted your people and their professional know-how. At least not in this country.

Their negligence and incompetence killed my cousin. I should hate to remember what i want to forget. My cousin was that sick and your guys were doing trial and error. When my cousin was flown out, he was taken straight from the airport to the hospital, alas, the drugs that were prescribed for him in larger doses were the same drugs i googled for him, but then it had become too late.

Please let this slide, I have a personal dislike for the medical profession in Nigeria. This is not in the least personal, it is just my experience. Stay well.
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Donpre(m): 1:25am On Jul 22, 2016
hardbody:

Never will i, you can take that assurance to the bank.

I have never trusted your people and their professional know-how. At least not in this country.

Their negligence and incompetence killed my cousin. I should hate to remember what i want to forget. My cousin was that sick and your guys were doing trial and error. When my cousin was flown out, he was taken straight from the airport to the hospital, alas, the drugs that were prescribed for him in larger doses were the same drugs i googled for him, but then it had become too late.

Please let this slide, I have a personal dislike for the medical profession in Nigeria. This is not in the least personal, it is just my experience. Stay well.
I'm sorry for your loss pal, I'm sure it sucks... well let's not derail this thread any further.

Bear in mind tho, no one is perfect, not even doctors... some mistakes can't be corrected, it doesn't make them any less mistakes. Try not to judge any entire colony by the act of few, could save your life you know. #SleepWell
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by luckyguy2: 8:36am On Jan 16, 2017
Donpre I Guess you Are A Kid Right, Do You Know That O.A.U Is One Of The Best Universities In Nigeria Don't Joke With O.A.U, Any Way U Are A Kid U Don't Know What You Are Saying, When It Comes To Listing Best Medical Schools In Nigeria O.A.U Should Take The First Or Second Position, If You Had Known O.A.U When It Was Known As Great Ife You Would Not Be Saying The Rubbish You Are Saying
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Donpre(m): 8:59am On Jan 16, 2017
luckyguy2:
Donpre I Guess you Are A Kid Right, Do You Know That O.A.U Is One Of The Best Universities In Nigeria Don't Joke With O.A.U, Any Way U Are A Kid U Don't Know What You Are Saying, When It Comes To Listing Best Medical Schools In Nigeria O.A.U Should Take The First Or Second Position, If You Had Known O.A.U When It Was Known As Great Ife You Would Not Be Saying The Rubbish You Are Saying
Personal opinion dude, we are all entitled to it.

Your opinion however is somewhat biased. You mean OAU is better than UI, UNILAG, UNN, UNILORIN?... seriously?shocked

Anyway, I get you gotta defend your school, but being biased about it and calling me a kid doesn't change the facts.
Re: Top Ten Medical Schools In Nigeria(2016) by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 18, 2018
luckyguy2:
There is nothing about OAU. I was there for 5years. Tell us something else

(1) (Reply)

Elizade University Gets Full License To Operate / Jamb Denies Deducting Marks From Candidates Scores / Kwara State Polytechnic, Ilorin 2016/2017 Aspirants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.