Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,345 members, 7,808,212 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:49 AM

Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF (17231 Views)

IMF: Nigerian Economy May Collapse If… / World Bank, IMF Put Pressure On Buhari To Come Up With Economic Blueprint / IMF Says Nigeria Heading Into Recession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by ijustdey: 2:57pm On Jul 19, 2016
The International Monetary Fund slashed its growth forecast for the Nigerian economy this year on Tuesday, saying a combination of plunging oil revenues and weakened investor confidence will push it into recession.

The IMF said it expects Africa’s largest economy to contract by 1.8 percent this year, after having forecast in April a 2.3 percent expansion.

Nigeria’s stall, and sluggish activity in the number two economy, South Africa, is expected to pull down economic growth across sub-Saharan Africa, the IMF said, forecasting a “dramatic implication.”

“In 2016, regional output growth will fall short of population growth, implying declining per capita incomes,” it said.

Nigeria’s economy has been battered hard by the plunge in oil prices, the main source of the country’s income, as well as prices of other key commodities.

In addition, rebels in the southern oil region have forced crude production cutbacks, and internal unrest, especially attacks by the Boko Haram group in the north, has also hurt the economy.

Inflation hit an 11-year high of 16.5 percent in June as prices of food and energy jumped after the government freed up the naira currency in April, allowing it to plummet against the US dollar.

Also weighing on output have been electricity shortages due to rebels’ sabotage of the gas pipelines that fire power plants.
AFP

http://punchng.com/imf-slashes-nigeria-economic-outlook-forecasts-recession/
Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by psucc(m): 3:07pm On Jul 19, 2016
Expected!!!!

Aside the oil price slump, other factors that induced the recession are the non-articulation of policies and unwarranted utterances by our leaders.

81 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by csamii: 3:11pm On Jul 19, 2016
Really? Mstcheew as if we don't know. I remember what Patience Jonathan said during their campaign period even though I'm not her fan. She said and I quote "after Buhari and APC is done with Nigeria, na change go remain."

As in conductor change o!

150 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by engrsyer(m): 3:15pm On Jul 19, 2016
Pls I wan travel out of this Naija before hunger kpuff me.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 19, 2016
G
Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by Luckylife(m): 3:20pm On Jul 19, 2016
Just one year APC is about to ground our economy.

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by lukecent: 3:21pm On Jul 19, 2016
And all the noise about fighting corruption does not reflect on the economy.
What about TSA savings & petrol subsidy? They also did not boost the economy.
#ChangeTheChange

88 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by iamblisz(m): 3:22pm On Jul 19, 2016
csamii:
Really? Mstcheew as if we don't know. I remember what Patience Jonathan said during their campaign period even though I'm not her fan. She said and I quote "after Buhari and APC is done with Nigeria, na change go remain."

I remembered how someNigerians wanted to kill her with insults when she made that statement

101 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by DIKEnaWAR: 3:23pm On Jul 19, 2016
csamii:

My dear, even GEJ said that Nigeria has passed the level of Buhari being its President. It is now that the statement has made sense to me.

Does anyone observe that while Buhari and his goons are criticising GEJ, they have embarked on a popularity contest with him. Running him down while trying to imitate him.

Kemi Adeosun was simply appointed for a job she is not qualified for because GEJ had a woman finance Minister and seen as gender friendly. Buhari needed to toe that line.

Wearing of Military uniforms? I used to laugh whenever GEJ wore Military uniforms. Why? Because it is just borne out of a need to show strenght and assert himself as C-in-C, having been portrayed as weak. There was no need for Buhari to toe that path. This is because he is already accused of being a Military man in agbada. He need to distance himself from anything military and wear a civilian face and approach to issues.

To topic; those that have elected to protest on behalf of Remi Tinubu for being unruly to a colleague and paid back in her own coin should please protest for the way this government has decided to punish Nigerians for nothing. It is better than defending a woman who thinks her husband owns everywhere and can do anything.

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by csamii: 3:29pm On Jul 19, 2016
iamblisz:

I remembered how some Nigerians wanted to kill her with insults when she made that statement

I laughed at that statement but it's becoming a reality today.

DIKEnaWAR:

My dear, even GEJ said that Nigeria has passed the level of Buhari being its President. It is now that the statement has made sense to me.
Does anyone observe that while Buhari and his goons are criticising GEJ, they have embarked on a popularity contest with him. Running him down while trying to imitate him.
Kemi Adeosun was simply appointed for a job she is not qualified for because GEJ had a woman finance Minister and seen as gender friendly. Buhari needed to toe that line.
Wearing of Military uniforms? I used to laugh whenever GEJ wore Military uniforms. Why? Because it is just borne out of a need to show strenght and assert himself as C-in-C, having been portrayed as weak. There was no need for Buhari to toe that path. This is because he is already accused of being a Military man in agbada. He need to distance himself from anything military and wear a civilian face and approach to issues.

Buhari is on self-destruct mode and he's taking Nigeria down.

54 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by Abeymills(m): 3:52pm On Jul 19, 2016
Bubuhari is a disaster

20 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by Agimor(m): 3:57pm On Jul 19, 2016
IMF or whatever Nigeria is already in recession .prices of goods and services are on the rise while standard of living is going up.So we are stuck in recession already.

30 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by greatgod2012(f): 4:03pm On Jul 19, 2016
Nigeria is not heading into recession. She is already in full blown recession. Imagine, it has gotten into a stage where some people are already exchanging their kids for food.

Imagine a case where pot of soup is now disappearing on the stove.

I was in the market last week, you need to see the way people are rushing to buy coal pot, some cannot even afford using coal pot, they have resorted into using saw dust filled in big tin popularly called abacha stove to cook their food.

It's just like when God is using Buhari and APC to punish Nigerians.

42 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by nezer83: 4:56pm On Jul 19, 2016
greatgod2012:
Nigeria is not heading into recession. She is already in full blown recession. Imagine, it has gotten into a stage where some people are already exchanging their kids for food.

I was in the market last week, you need to see the way people are rushing to buy coal pot, some cannot even afford using coal pot, they have resorted into using saw filled in big tin popularly called abacha stove to cook their food.

I disagree Sir, God is not using Buhari and APC to punish Nigerians, what we are experiencing is the outcome of our choice.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by porka: 5:14pm On Jul 19, 2016
greatgod2012:

I was in the market last week, you need to see the way people are rushing to buy coal pot, some cannot even afford using coal pot, they have resorted into using saw filled in big tin popularly called abacha stove to cook their food.

God allows every human being to exercise his/her freewill.

What we have now is small, compared to what is to come.

By September, some parents will withdraw their children from school (even public schools) having sold all their assets to pay for the previous terms/semesters.

By the end of the raining season, the hunger will move in full scale.

19 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by Amanwulu1(m): 6:01pm On Jul 19, 2016
lukecent:
And all the noise about fighting corruption does not reflect on the economy.

What about TSA savings & petrol subsidy?
They also did not boost the economy.

#ChangeTheChange
which fight against corruptn n TSA? Propaganda being fed to zombie programmed brains.

17 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by dmediator555(m): 6:04pm On Jul 19, 2016
Should I curse those wey vote PMB and APC say Na nemesis go catch them??

16 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by Amanwulu1(m): 6:11pm On Jul 19, 2016
porka:

God allows every human being to exercise his/her freewill.

What we have now is small, compared to what is to come.

By September, some parents will withdraw their children from school (even public schools) having sold all their assets to pay for the previous terms/semesters.

By the end of the raining season, the hunger will move in full scale.
God have mercy! With N40K+ I'm finding it difficult to take care of my wife n 3 kids in d north. Infact I don't hv savings again. But u see hear some idiots applauding these useless n heartless ppl in govt today. Maybe they're in another nigeria.

24 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by justicejay(m): 7:42am On Jul 20, 2016
The change promised is now a promise change.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by Samiceman: 7:42am On Jul 20, 2016
If I talk wetin dey my mind eh, the mods will ban me lipsrsealed

12 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by sanandreas(m): 7:42am On Jul 20, 2016
Poor economic policies.

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by veekid(m): 7:42am On Jul 20, 2016
Waiting already

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by jarkbauer: 7:43am On Jul 20, 2016
Waiting

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by hedocharles(m): 7:43am On Jul 20, 2016
It is well

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by banmee(m): 7:44am On Jul 20, 2016
csamii:

Really? Like this just started today. Things have always been like this in Nigeria since independence. The only reason it was not so obvious was becuase of oil. Now that oil prices have disappointed the country, all the country's lapses have been exposed. There is no more money to cover it up. Or steal, for that matter.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by kingzizzy: 7:45am On Jul 20, 2016
engrsyer:
Pls I wan travel out of this Naija before hunger kpuff me.

Why are you traveling? Just go into your room and shout 'Sai Baba!' Like you guys were doing last year.

GEJ might not have been the best but at least under him, the economy was growing at 6%. Then all of you suddenly decided that a gworo chewing cattle rearer from Daura with a long history of incompetence is the answer to our prayer.

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by dayoungmoney1: 7:46am On Jul 20, 2016
The only solution is true federalism. We need to restructure this country immediately!

#TrueFederalism
#ResourceControl
#RestructureNigeriaNow

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by Nobody: 7:46am On Jul 20, 2016
FACKING LIE! naija economy is blooming. cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Heading Into Recession, Says IMF by Pangea: 7:47am On Jul 20, 2016
Heading?
We are already in a bleeding recession and the government is clueless what to do!
Foolish Nigerians , sorry , fellow Nigerians, brace up!
Suffering has just started!

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASG Seals Chinese Firm, Declares Zero Tolerance For Safety Measures / Timeline Of Marauding Herdsmen Attacks On Benue State From 2013-2018 / Breaking: Onnoghen Loses At The Appeal Court.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.