Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? (528 Views)

Economic Crisis: We Won’t Bail Out Banks With Public Funds – FG / Buhari Didn’t Use Public Funds For Presidential Campaign, Stop Calling For Probe / Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by onoerime: 7:58am On Jul 20, 2016
Elder statesmen and lawyers comment on whether or not treasury looters should get capital punishment

Yes, capital punishment is necessary. But that should depend on the level and degree of the offence. Some categories of corruption should carry the death sentence, if that is the only thing that can serve as deterrence. This is because selfishness has become extremely high. The level of selfishness is so high that if we do not take a desperate measure, the country will not move anywhere.

The punitive measures in our existing laws are not sufficient deterrence. So, capital punishment should be seriously considered and debated. It should be widely debated.

High-degree corrupt practices should attract capital punishment. For instance, somebody who steals a billion naira has done sufficient damage to Nigeria to warrant capital punishment. The stolen money could have been used to build hospitals, construct roads and purchase security equipment. Meanwhile, the absence of these facilities might have caused the death of many people.

People die on bad roads across the country daily because money budgeted for rehabilitation has been misappropriated. Such a misappropriation has a direct impact on the lives of the people. The impact of corruption should determine whether an individual found guilty should get the death penalty or not. –• • Baralabe Musa (A former Governor of old Kaduna State)

I would not want to comment on whether corruption should attract the death penalty because our problems are not the lack of laws in this country. One or two sentences cannot explain how deep we are in this problem (of corruption). It is a pity, but we pray. And we have to pray hard. I am involved in some organisations that are working at seeing how we can begin a change in the attitude of the people. We need to be more positive in nation-building.

What we are suffering is not as a result of lack of laws. We are suffering from a situation where people know what is right but look the other way when they are transgressing. My concern is how to get everybody to be committed to attitudinal change. People should not be only concerned about their selfish interests.

Nobody under 50 has met this country in good order. Those who were born after 1966 have heard nothing edifying about this country. All the things they have heard have been terrible. We need to get a critical mass to begin to key into the efforts to change the attitude of the people.- • Philip Asiodu (An ex-Minister of Petroleum and Economic Adviser to the Federal Government)

Personally, I am not in support of the death penalty. But I am in support of very stringent sentences. The fact is that we have not even convicted anybody, not to talk of considering the death penalty. Who are the people that have been convicted already? People are being prosecuted and it could go on for years.

What I think is important is to set a limit within which people who are accused must get judgment. The appropriate punishment should be given to those found guilty. It could be very disheartening when cases continue for several months or years. Yet, another person steals a goat and gets a sentence in six months.

It is clear that justice is not the same for everybody, and this is not acceptable. There must be a time limit within which pending cases must be treated. The same practice in election cases should apply to the prosecution of those accused of corruption. Such people should be convicted quietly and given the appropriate punishment. They could get 21 years in jail without an option of fine. Then, the money they stole must be recovered. There should not be an option of a fine because some of them might have killed other people. The money they stole might have led to the death of many people. That is why they deserve to be jailed without an option of a fine. I support stringent punishment, but not the death penalty.- • Prof. Remi Sonaiya (Ex-presidential candidate, KOWA Party)

What is your take on this? As for me, any one that has stolen above 500m deserve death
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by Oluwasaeon(m): 8:07am On Jul 20, 2016
before nko
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by UyiIredia(m): 8:10am On Jul 20, 2016
They deserve death. People have been killed for stealing less. Besides their loot has caused the death of many who should have benefitted from the use of such funds.
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by blackpanda: 8:15am On Jul 20, 2016
The truth is that corruption is an ingrained part of the nigerian psyche. Its not the severity of the punishment that deters corruption, but the certainty. The knowledge that u will definitely be caught.

Actually death penalty will even work against the anti-corruption fight, with numerous appeals and refusal of the governor to sign the death warrant. In d end the convict will be freed.
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by csamii: 8:19am On Jul 20, 2016
blackpanda:
The truth is that corruption is an ingrained part of the nigerian psyche. Its not the severity of the punishment that deters corruption, but the certainty. The knowledge that u will definitely be caught.

Actually death penalty will even work against the anti-corruption fight, with numerous appeals and refusal of the governor to sign the death warrant. In d end the convict will be freed.

Which kind person you be sef? Simple yes or no question. Did it work for china?

Yes o! Death penalty for all public office looters.
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by ollymoore: 8:24am On Jul 20, 2016
Are dey still alive? no no no don't tell me dey still alive u know how many people don die for steeling ordinary comon things. (Abeg kill dem all)
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by blackpanda: 8:26am On Jul 20, 2016
csamii:

Which kind person you be sef? Simple yes or no question. Did it work for china?

Yes o! Death penalty for all public office looters.

There is nothing simple about taking another human being's life. And no, it doesnt work for china. There is still corruption there!
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by csamii: 8:29am On Jul 20, 2016
blackpanda:

There is nothing simple about taking another human being's life. And no, it doesnt work for china. There is still corruption there!

Chai! You want to compare China with this black hole now? Between them both, which is likely to be corruption free in the next 5years?
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by buharisbae(f): 8:37am On Jul 20, 2016
IN S/KOREA

LOOTERS GET DEATH PENALTY

SO WHAT STOP NIGERIA?
ANSWER = NEPOTISM FAVORITISM

THE TRUTH IS THAT CORRUPTION IS PART AND PARCEL OF NIGERIA
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by Topestbilly(m): 8:54am On Jul 20, 2016
undecided

To death by hanging and firing square... embarassed

If a theft is dealt with after collecting what he/she has stolen, I see no reason these pot-bellies thieves should be set free after returning looted funds.

Collect the money, throw them to the streets and they will receive the beating of their lives... I support jungle justice on this.
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by blackpanda: 8:56am On Jul 20, 2016
csamii:

Chai! You want to compare China with this black hole now? Between them both, which is likely to be corruption free in the next 5years?

China is thousands of years old. Nigeria is just a baby struggling. If after all their many years they are still unable to rid corruption, then there is no basis of comparison with nigeria
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by Qmerit(m): 8:57am On Jul 20, 2016
No comment.
In your poll op count me as neutral!
Re: Should Looters Of Public Funds Get The Death Penalty? by csamii: 9:02am On Jul 20, 2016
blackpanda:

China is thousands of years old. Nigeria is just a baby struggling. If after all their many years they are still unable to rid corruption, then there is no basis of comparison with nigeria

You're right! See it this way, death penalty will checkmate many kleptomaniac in public office.

(1) (Reply)

Is What Abiola Complained About 22 Years Ago Playing Out Today? / FG, 14 Companies To Build N466,666 Per Kilowatt Solar Power Project / Hillarious….Checkout This Donald Trump’s Bluetooth Speaker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.