Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,290 members, 7,807,983 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:20 AM

Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July - Computers (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July (41197 Views)

A Friend Forget Password To Windows 10 / How To Upgrade To Windows 10: What You Need To Know / Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jul 27, 2016
Temitoppe:

wifi in where I am currently is practically impossible
Sorry bro... use modem then
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jul 27, 2016
oya wereh ni tani babe e? I be ur papa!
jolak5:
rich babe, enjoy den wink
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by jolak5(m): 10:58pm On Jul 27, 2016
angels09:
oya wereh ni tani babe e? I be ur papa!
lol, baba calm down. Na as I see girlish name and dem no show your gender. No vex, but wait u dey mad abi, y u dey call me wereh
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by obomobo: 12:07am On Jul 28, 2016
Shey pesin fit upgrade for desktop computer
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by Nobody: 12:48am On Jul 28, 2016
jolak5:
lol, baba calm down. Na as I see girlish name and dem no show your gender. No vex, but wait u dey mad abi, y u dey call me wereh
Lolz craze guy.... The angels that visited the Egyptians were not girlish.
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by linearity: 12:54am On Jul 28, 2016
2kurupt:

You know this coz you work for both Apple & Microsoft right?

Stop being paranoid!

Dud, I take it that you are knowledgeable and at least know these things are not difficult and am not paranoid, I know how these things work.

These are America companies and you are legally bind to disclose to consumers the type of information you are gathering, how you are gathering that information, who you will disclose that information and the specifics of the information you are gathering. I disclose this to my customer, else I will be in trouble.

Go back and read Apple, Android and Windows 10 User disclosure agreements, the same agreement written in fine print that, you agreed to before installing those OS, they will tell you in details what the type of data they will be harvesting from you and you must agreed to it, before they will allow you to install the OS or upgrade it...then come back and tell us what Apple vs Android vs Windows 10 indicates they will be collecting and you will conclude that, Windows 10's is unprecedented.
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by ideology(m): 2:47am On Jul 28, 2016
Olarewajub:

This serious, this is not suppose to happen as long your pc is compatible with Windows 10.
lol, but it did happen, lol
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by oboy3(m): 7:36am On Jul 28, 2016
Pls,i want to revert back to windows 8,how can i do it,all my games stopped working after i upgraded to windows 10,and it keeps hanging my Laptop
pls ya'll
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by jolak5(m): 8:43am On Jul 28, 2016
oboy3:
Pls,i want to revert back to windows 8,how can i do it,all my games stopped working after i upgraded to windows 10,and it keeps hanging my Laptop
pls ya'll
it's possible if it is not up to a month you did the upgrade
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by oboy3(m): 9:04am On Jul 28, 2016
jolak5:
it's possible if it is not up to a month you did the upgrade
I upgraded yesterday and I am fed up already
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by 2kurupt(m): 11:33am On Jul 28, 2016
linearity:

Dud, I take it that you are knowledgeable and at least know these things are not difficult and am not paranoid, I know how these things work.

These are America companies and you are legally bind to disclose to consumers the type of information you are gathering, how you are gathering that information, who you will disclose that information and the specifics of the information you are gathering. I disclose this to my customer, else I will be in trouble.

Go back and read Apple, Android and Windows 10 User disclosure agreements, the same agreement written in fine print that, you agreed to before installing those OS, they will tell you in details what the type of data they will be harvesting from you and you must agreed to it, before they will allow you to install the OS or upgrade it...then come back and tell us what Apple vs Android vs Windows 10 indicates they will be collecting and you will conclude that, Windows 10's is unprecedented.

I am not disagreeing with the fact that these companies gather & utilise consumer's info for their benefit, heck that's what Google was built on that's why they're the king of internet ads.

But then if you have these views & strongly disapprove their actions then you might as well boycott their devices altogether, switch to core open source systems like Linux, sailfish os etc or better still design your own platform. Mac, Android os, iOS, old Windows versions & indeed Windows 10 are all the same in terms of acquiring data & using same (Fine print or not).

People are not altogether oblivious of these so called "data harvesting" that's why they're urged to divulge as little information as possible.

Lastly I say you're being paranoid coz you seem to put all your focus on Microsoft which is just new to the party, I bet you already own a Facebook account, use whatsapp & probably Instagram too. Do you know just about how much info Facebook alone already got on you? Now that almost all mega tech producers are switching to cloud computing & storage what will you have the consumers do?

If you don't use these services which I doubt, then thumbs up coz you might be regressing to the stone age in a bit to protect your precious data.
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by lilbabyak(m): 10:52am On Jul 29, 2016
GJames:

I am sure you attempted the upgrade using the windows 10 upgrade that appears on your task bar/control panel. That one doesn't work. Download the windows 10 app advisor from their website, install it and it will do the rest for you
Tnx I'm grateful
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by cozy7(m): 4:37pm On Jul 29, 2016
anthonypeters:
“As we near the one year anniversary of the availability of Windows 10, we’re excited to share that Windows 10 is now running on 300 million active devices around the world” quotes Microsoft’s blog.

Microsoft has confirmed that Windows 10’s free upgrade offer will expire on July 29, 2016. After that, you’ll have to pay $119 (Over NGN 23,800) to upgrade on any computer that hasn’t already made the upgrade.
If you upgraded an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) device to Windows 10 for free, then you can still reinstall Windows 10 on it for the lifetime of the device since that license cannot be legally transferred to any other hardware. If you upgraded a retail version of Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 then after 29 July 2016 you will be unable to fully move that Windows 10 upgrade to a new device using the Windows 7 or 8.1 retail license.

Any new system operating with retail version of Windows 7 or 8.1 license that you may want to move over to windows 10 after 29 July 2016 will not be eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10; that means you will have to purchase a Windows 10 retail license to get that system updated to the new operating system. You can still purchase an upgrade license for Windows 10, which will cost less than a full version of the OS, and then use it to upgrade your retail Windows 7 or 8.1 system at that point.

Three point summary of the whole information is:
1. The free upgrade offer ends on July 29 and will not be extended.

2. Any upgrades completed before that date will be valid for as long as the device lasts.

3. There is a possibility that Microsoft will introduce some new upgrade offers after July 29, but don’t count on it.

We believe one of Microsoft’s goal with this upgrade offer isn’t just to get its installed Windows 10 base to a billion, they also want to reduce the number of PCs running on Windows 7 in an orderly fashion before its extended support commitment ends on January 14, 2020. Some people still use the “dead” windows XP; millions of users (especially here in Nigeria) are still running windows 7 on their PCs and don’t care about a newer operating system. For this set of persons, Windows 7 is perfect, and so they can’t find a reason for new operating system upgrade.
On the other hand, the free upgrade offer never really applied to large businesses that run Windows Enterprise editions. For those customers who also have purchased Software Assurance for those volume licenses, the Windows 10 upgrade offer is, if not free, at least already paid for. The decision of whether and when to upgrade is driven by business needs, not by the cost of an upgrade license.

Source: http://naijalaptopfix.com/blog/2016/07/19/why-you-need-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-before-29th-july/
I upgraded my system after reading your tread. But I noticed sth with my laptop. I connected my flash drive n copied sth, I wanted to eject, but wen I clicked on d notification tray, my flash (hp****) wasn't highlighted. So I didn't see ant option on "ejection". I had to just pull it out. I know d danger of doing so, which is y I would like u to plz explain to me how to eject safely. Thanks.
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by cozy7(m): 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2016
Olarewajub:

First of all you have to consider whether your laptop spec is compatible with Windows 10.

The only mishap i encountered was screen brightness. This can be corrected by performing a system upgrade.

There're lot of advantages. You will definitely love Cortana but hope you've got steady power supply because a lot of people experience battery drain (didn't experience such).

Final verdict ; Upgrade to Windows 10 now.
I've upgraded to 10, but I didn't see cartons, do I hv to download that seperately? I'd luv to hv that.
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by GJames(m): 5:50pm On Jul 29, 2016
lilbabyak:
Tnx I'm grateful
U r welcome
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by cozy7(m): 6:32pm On Jul 29, 2016
jolak5:
I also use widndow 10 qnd it has been fun.
For those complaining about battery, all you need to do is update the software controlling your battery.
Window 10 also comes with a very good anti virus software that you can upgrade for free
If you have any other issue with the O.S just upgrade the cor responding system software.
Lemme know if you encounter any other problem
I'm using Windows 10 n it's really sweet. I'm not having ba3 issues, but I'll like to no how to update d software controlling d ba3 ?
Also, I got a little issue, wen I wanna eject my flash, it doesn't appear on my notification tray, so I had to pull it off. I no d risk of doing that, which is t I'll like u to guide on how to safely eject my flash drive ?
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by cozy7(m): 6:41pm On Jul 29, 2016
roufy235:

after the upgrade if you are not still OK with it you can go back without losing your files,apps etc. have been on windows 10 since last 5months now and everything about the OS is okay, I don't experience any problems.
How do u eject flash drive, does it appear on your notification tray? Mine doesn't. How do u do it sir?
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by roufy235(m): 7:00pm On Jul 29, 2016
cozy7:
How do u eject flash drive, does it appear on your notification tray? Mine doesn't. How do u do it sir?
it appears.
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by Olarewajub: 7:24pm On Jul 29, 2016
cozy7:
I've upgraded to 10, but I didn't see cartons, do I hv to download that seperately? I'd luv to hv that.

I guess you mean Cortana. Activate your location and change from Nigeria to U. S. A and then restart your pc.
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by moscyt(m): 9:21pm On Jul 29, 2016
Olarewajub:

I guess you mean Cortana. Activate your location and change from Nigeria to U. S. A and then restart your pc.
I was about installing the os before power surge spoilt my power pack, I will like to know if I can still install and if there is trial period to use it or if I can use activator wif it. Thanks
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by jolak5(m): 9:30pm On Jul 29, 2016
cozy7:
I'm using Windows 10 n it's really sweet. I'm not having ba3 issues, but I'll like to no how to update d software controlling d ba3 ?
Also, I got a little issue, wen I wanna eject my flash, it doesn't appear on my notification tray, so I had to pull it off. I no d risk of doing that, which is t I'll like u to guide on how to safely eject my flash drive ?
search for"device manager"and you will see the battery software and other software you can update. As for ejecting, I'd you can't find it there den eject from you file manager
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by Olarewajub: 10:48pm On Jul 29, 2016
moscyt:

I was about installing the os before power surge spoilt my power pack, I will like to know if I can still install and if there is trial period to use it or if I can use activator wif it. Thanks

You have from now till 11:59pm to Upgrade to Windows 10 for free.
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by abzeemao(m): 10:59pm On Jul 29, 2016
finally found a solution

GloryIsaac:

Thats bad mehn, these guys may be able to help...

Cc 2kurupt
ITbomb
computerboy
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by Nobody: 6:53am On Jul 30, 2016
abzeemao:
finally found a solution
Wow!.. Nice one bro, Whats the solution?
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by abeynoni: 7:05am On Jul 30, 2016
Now that the free upgrade it over. Is there any way around upgrading without having to pay? Also, can one still install the windows without activation and what are the cons?

1 Like

Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by abeynoni: 7:05am On Jul 30, 2016
Now that the free upgrade it over. Is there any way around upgrading without having to pay? Also, can one still install the windows without activation and what are the cons?

1 Like

Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by cozy7(m): 7:25pm On Jul 30, 2016
Olarewajub:

I just did it n got it now. I changed to US. Thanks u so much. I'm really enjoying this.
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by Mykcool(m): 8:15pm On Jul 30, 2016
oboy3:
pls ya'll
update your pc, every game I had still play on win10, I had same issue with you. I've been on win10 since the very week it was released
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by Olarewajub: 8:20pm On Jul 30, 2016
cozy7:
I just did it n got it now. I changed to US. Thanks u so much. I'm really enjoying this.

I'm glad i could be of help.

Every body loves Cortana but the thing can disgrace someone a times.

1 Like

Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by abzeemao(m): 11:05am On Jul 31, 2016
Step 1. Keep Calm, I have a fix that works.

Step 2. Search the internet with [url]Bing.com[/url] for your driver for your WiFi (e.g. Lenovo) and download it (this is a backup for the next step). Note: You may have to use a spare PC/ phone or borrow a friend's computer in order to get the backup of the driver for your specific model of PC (e.g. Lenovo).

Links to OEM Drivers (Note: This is not an exhaustive list, if your PC brand isn't listed below, search online with Bing - Example search: "Lenovo W530 drivers"wink: am not allowed to put links up, please go to your laptop manufacturers website to download drivers. ( never download drivers from 3rd parties)

Step 3. Go to "Device Manager" > "Network Adapters" > Find your Wireless driver (likely named atheros/broadcom/intel) and right-click, "Uninstall" driver. (Now I know what you're thinking... This dude is trying to troll me. I'm not. It goes against what you'd think but thankfully you made a backup just in case in step #2). Make sure you select "Remove driver software" - click "OK"
Step 4: Once it uninstalls, reboot your PC.
Step 5: Once rebooted, click on the wireless icon in your system tray and reconnect to your WiFi. It worked for me, hopefully it will work for you. At this point you should be good to go. If this did not work for you, reinstall your WiFi driver you downloaded as a backup. USB internet will work until a better fix or update comes out.

Best of luck!

GloryIsaac:

Wow!.. Nice one bro, Whats the solution?
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by Jaymaestro(m): 11:25am On Jul 31, 2016
I couldnt download it due to unstable network even after many trials. if there is way to upgrade without crack.. cant risk OS cracks
Re: Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July by chamberlin1(m): 1:35pm On Jul 31, 2016
menxer:

Right click start > run > type gpedit.msc

Computer configuration > administrative templates > windows components > store >double click on options displayed on the right, read the instructions on the pop up window and disable accordingly.

Repeat for windows update, maps, or any app you don't want running in the background.
Windows cannot find gpedit.msc. Make sure you've typed the name correctly, then try again. That's the prompt I got

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Experience With A Zinox Laptop / Latest Free Browsing Trick Using Airtel With This Edited Simple Server Config / USA Grade One Laptops.amazing Deals, Rush In!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.