Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,897 members, 7,806,620 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:14 PM

7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand (938 Views)

“Nigeria Will Continue To Borrow,” Adeosun Says, Days After Warning Against Debt / Gbajabiamila Donates 5 Cars To 5 People In Surulere (pics) / See 7 Photos Of President Buhari & Wife Aisha That Defines A True Relationship (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Eziokwu1: 9:28am On Jul 21, 2016
Speaking more than one language in Nigeria, a country with more than 521 languages, might seem like nothing special. Yet, it is. This is because while most people can usually greet or even insult in more than one language, it is quite uncommon to see people speaking more than one of Nigeria’s native languages frequently. I speak two native languages, Yoruba and Igbo, so let me tell you about a couple of funny situations, the bilingual or multilingual people find themselves in.

1. People automatically assume that you are intelligent: Since the ability to learn and speak more than one language logically suggests a degree of intelligence, it is quite understandable, when people assume this. However, the truth is most bilingual or multilingual people are not that smart. The languages were just what they were exposed to at an early age. So please do not ask us to calculate the mass of the sun, we usually do not know.
[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt2amjms9ovi8.708418b3.jpg[/img]
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Eziokwu1: 9:29am On Jul 21, 2016
2. People fall in love with you: This is closely related to the first situation. If you find yourself in a discussion with anyone you are trying to impress, just throw in your second language. Almost immediately they fall in love, it might be related to how intelligent they think you are, or something else that cannot be easily explained, but you soon have them sighing and mooning over you. This is a big plus, you will have them looking at you like:
[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt56rqadlhl4q.65c57b60.jpg[/img]
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Eziokwu1: 9:30am On Jul 21, 2016
3. Nothing gets past you: Normally in a gathering, where the number of people speaking a certain language is significantly higher, the odd person or persons usually feel lost in the conversation, as the other language flies over their head or heads. However, people who speak other languages are always comfortable in such gatherings, they can’t be ‘sold’ like we say. You cannot even gossip about them while they are there, they can hear everything. This usually infuriates people. Makes you want to throw hands in the air and say:
[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt6lfjkropk8m.f46dc3c8.jpg[/img]
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Eziokwu1: 9:31am On Jul 21, 2016
4. When you let people assume you don’t understand them: Most times you can even pretend you do not understand the other language, and watch people try to make a fool of you. For example, someone could be lying about the interpretation of something, or talking about you and you are just there staring at the person like... Okay, Kwontinuuu.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt6lq6rvs68pi.9bc53222.jpg[/img]
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Eziokwu1: 9:33am On Jul 21, 2016
5. When you become automatic interpreter: Then another funny thing is when you enter a place with a friend, and you have to become the interpreter for everybody. So you are there wondering if you shouldn’t just take a job as an interpreter. Next time you are in a place and people are asking you, what the other party is saying or talking about? Your answer is:

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt70q1c3bfg6l.ff6c7b44.jpg[/img]
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Eziokwu1: 9:37am On Jul 21, 2016
6. When you find yourself mixing languages up: Sometimes you catch yourself mixing languages up. Using different languages in the same sentence, like you are trying to create a new language. Then your speech comes out like: Omoge biko achoro'm hhavgahfagajhgauh baba olowo.

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt4ch931jp4co.5e7aae9e.jpg[/img]
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Eziokwu1: 9:39am On Jul 21, 2016
7. The looks on their faces: People are usually shocked when they hear you speak the other language. You walk into a place, and you are immediately pegged as an Igbo man, then after a while, you open your mouth and speak Yoruba. The look on the face of people at that point is almost always worth it. They are usually like:

[img]http://i.onthe.io/vllkyt5g3ldsp9s7r.0f40a8a5.jpg[/img]
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Eziokwu1: 9:40am On Jul 21, 2016
Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun... pls show us billinguals some love . grin
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Houseofglam7(f): 9:57am On Jul 21, 2016
Hehehehehehe
True that!

1 Like

Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Firmjudge(m): 10:16am On Jul 21, 2016
Yes oo ìn my family all of us are trilingual excluding english language (which makes it four when added ).
including 2 major Nigerian languages plus the language of the largest tribe in the middle belt (north central rejoin)

#FluentAndNatives.
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Ajibel(m): 10:19am On Jul 21, 2016
I do point 4 a lot.

As for point 7, when people see me at first, they think I am Igbo but when I tell them my name, they look shocked that I am Yoruba. But I'll now shock them more when I speak in both Languages (Igbo and Yoruba: beautiful languages cool
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Firmjudge(m): 10:35am On Jul 21, 2016
Ajibel:
I do point 4 a lot.

As for point 7, when people see me at first, they think I am Igbo but when I tell them my name, they look shocked that I am Yoruba. But I'll now shock them more when I speak in both Languages (Igbo and Yoruba: beautiful languages cool

Wish I can add igbo to my list.

my friends aint even helping mattera I only do speak and drop.

I wish to see a nigeria with bilingual people doesnt matter weather the language is major or not.
Re: 7 Photos Only Bilingual People In Nigeria Will Understand by Firmjudge(m): 10:36am On Jul 21, 2016
Houseofglam7:
Hehehehehehe True that!
MyNldr SugarFriend.

(1) (Reply)

The Occupy Nigeria 2016, Political Interest Or Secession Movement? / Breaking news : Ex Kano Deputy Governor dies at 69 - Vanguard / Certificate Forgery: DSS drags Nine Ekiti Assembly Members To Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.