Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,405 members, 7,808,448 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation (9162 Views)

Electricity Debts Owed By Benin And Togo Gives Nigeria Concerns / FEC Approves N80bn For Second Niger Bridge, Roads Construction In 12 States / Jonathan Approved N80bn Special Funds For Sambo Dasuki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by ijustdey: 12:45pm On Jul 21, 2016
Despite promises to the contrary and stipulations in the power purchase agreements, electricity distribution companies (Discos) have no plan to meter every customer now or in the near future.

Discreet but extensive checks by the Nigerian Tribune at the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE), Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC), Federal Ministry of Power, Works and Housing and Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), in Abuja, revealed a general agreement among the stakeholders that current electricity charges are still below commercial rates despite multiple increases in recent years.

Although efforts by the Nigerian Tribune to obtain copies of Share Purchase Agreement (SPA) between the companies and BPE was unsuccessful, as they were said to be confidential documents, an official said the Federal Government has actually not adhered to its side of the bargain, thus, making it difficult for regulators to also insist on strict adherence to the agreements by the investors.

The source admitted that part of the deal was for distribution companies to progressively minimise power losses by ensuring that every consumer is captured in the revenue sheet and meters provided, but said that it was equally agreed that government ministries, departments and agencies in the federal and sub-national levels must pay off their accumulated debts.

“However, a memo suggesting that the debts be deducted from source was sent to the Minister of Finance, who in turn forwarded it to President Goodluck Jonathan. Jonathan approved it, but nothing happened until that administration ended and since the present government came in, nothing has also been done about it.

“Right now, customers especially governments are owing the companies over N80 billion and they cannot even go to banks to borrow money because they have used their facilities, the Central Bank of Nigeria’s N200 billion loan that is inadequate, to solve their challenges,” the source explained.

Another official in another agency said “Discos prefer to purchase their meters from offshore sources because there, they have opportunity of credit facilities whereas Nigerian meter manufacturers insist on cash payment.”

The source said depreciation of naira has made the N49,000 meter price grossly unrealistic even as the Discos have not been allowed to transfer the increment to customers.

Nigerian Tribune further gathered that the fixed charges that was removed from monthly bills shortly before the 2015 elections was a political decision because the industry was not ripe for such removal.

It was further learnt that the Federal Government was also responsible for a substantial part of the woes in the industry by not expanding transmission facilities as agreed thus suppressing expansion of electricity generation by Generating Companies (Cencos).

Some of the Gencos have doubled their capacity since private investors took over but since transmission capacity is less than 6,000 megawatts, such Gencos are being asked to produce less than their capacity.

Meanwhile, there is serious lobbying by senior civil servants, politicians and businessmen for government to review the power privatisation.

Nigerian Tribune gathered that civil servants and politicians believed they have lost great sources of making extra money and appointments while powerful businessmen who lost out during the privatisation process are pushing for its cancellation so that they could also partake.

However, an official told the Nigerian Tribune that there are some clauses in the SPA that make it difficult for any rash decision “because if the cancellation comes from government without the companies being in default, treasury will, aside returning their purchase fund, calculate the profits that they would have made over a period of five years and pay the companies.

“But if it is proved that the companies were the ones that failed to meet the terms of agreement, government will re-purchase the company for just US$1.”

http://tribuneonlineng.com/n80bn-electricity-debts-estimated-billing-may-persist-investigation/

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by taylor88(m): 12:50pm On Jul 21, 2016
naija don tire me

one day I will just kill mysef and run away

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by Tonitelli: 1:39pm On Jul 21, 2016
taylor88:
naija don tire me

honestly..
Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by maxwelloweezy(m): 2:19pm On Jul 21, 2016
Na աa ooo

1 Like

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by princeakins(m): 2:19pm On Jul 21, 2016
coolspace booked
Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by malbro(m): 2:19pm On Jul 21, 2016
Just negodi lubbish....bt wetin that minister of darkness they do self

2 Likes

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by mopolch(m): 2:20pm On Jul 21, 2016
Just bring back our Nepa

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by Landloard01(m): 2:20pm On Jul 21, 2016
ok

2 Likes

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by yeyeboi(m): 2:21pm On Jul 21, 2016
taylor88:
naija don tire me

My brother are you sure you are not under the influence of alcohol?

3 Likes

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by Flets: 2:21pm On Jul 21, 2016
Nigeria's gas reserves is immense for gas energy, infact Nigeria substructure is made of gas reserves with some oil in it
Nigeria has one of the strongest winds on its coastal lines for wind energy
Nigeria has tons of fast moving water bodies for hydro energy
Beneath Enugu state lies massive deposits of coal energy
The solar energy from the sun in Northern Nigeria is unimaginable

Nigeria can comfortably generate energy to power the whole of west Africa but there is a problem.

The problem is Nigeria's structure. We must embrace true federalism today. Let SS generate power from its gas turbines, let SE generate from its coal deposits, let the coastal region partner with wind energy companies, let the north generate solar energy in partnership with solar energy companies, let the middle belt with fast moving water bodies generate hydro energy from our water bodies.

Without true federalism, No region will invest in these alternative but robust energy sources because of over dependence on oil and gas and we will continue to sabotage efforts aimed at generating these energies under this non-functional unitary system.

The Only Hope for a united Nigeria is True Federalism QED.

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by ayobase(m): 2:21pm On Jul 21, 2016
Of course, some Nigerians are not helping matter.

An average typical Nigerian is a cheat.

And the same set of of corrupt persons will be the first shouting "corruption", "kill him", "where is fuel and tire", "prosecute him"...

Imagine, a company buys electricity worth of N50m from transmission, but more than 50% of the customers bypass. And the company is expected to make interest from the cost price of N50m. There must be estimated billing to make up.

A bypassing customer who consumes about N15,000 worth of electricity per month, but being billed just N2,500. How is the Company expected to make up for the outstanding N12,500.

And the ones that bypass most are the pre-paid metre owners, because they are not monitored often. Even those with analog metre no dey carry last.

The customers with analog meters pay for about 30%, while customers without metre pay about 70% of the outstanding.

In this case, Nigerians and the Companies have a lot to work on.

My guy, no be by force to use air conditioner(s)n not plates and the likes if you know you can't pay for the service. Fan, gas cooker or kerosene stove and the likes will do as well.

Power sectors had really decayed before being privatized.

As some people do say that it is not possible for Buhari to make right the wrong of PDP's mis-ruling for the past 16 years, so the same people should exercise patience with this present Discos, cos it is virtually impossible to make right the wrong of about 30 years in years to come.

N.B

please, if you have paid for pre-paid metre in the last 3 months and not given, you have the choice if not paying for electricity.

And always do endeavour to report any corrupt "NEPA" official to the nearby office.

7 Likes

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by SEMO007(m): 2:23pm On Jul 21, 2016
Up Nepa...dem jxt d bring our light... Sorry if una no get..
Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jul 21, 2016
ijustdey:

Nigerian Tribune further gathered that the fixed charges that was removed from monthly bills shortly before the 2015 elections was a political decision because the industry was not ripe for such removal.

I bet many people didn't see this or intentionally decided to ignore.

Later, some underinformed will blame Fasola for our power failure.

I stand to be corrected, GEJ never meant well for this country, the decision to vote him out was the best Nigerians have ever made after June 12.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jul 21, 2016
We go fight if he continue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by BE811APP: 2:27pm On Jul 21, 2016
No Light... But increased tarrifs angry

1 Like

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by tuoyoojo(m): 2:31pm On Jul 21, 2016
only in nigeria do u pay more and get less

1 Like

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by itsik(m): 2:35pm On Jul 21, 2016
Am not calling for a revolution, but at this rate, its inevitable.
Haba. It has gotten to a point where the common man can't even feed.

1 Like

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by Goke7: 2:39pm On Jul 21, 2016
until the cabal desires for us to have power, we will continue to hear stories like this.

Regular power is just bad business for many elites and the cabal in Nigeria
Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by joeslimwize: 2:41pm On Jul 21, 2016
To hell with una light,generator sure pass. Dats why i prefer CANDLE to NEPA,my opinion dough

1 Like

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by yjgm(m): 2:44pm On Jul 21, 2016
Use*less people. Am tired of this electricity brouhaha

3 Likes

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jul 21, 2016
The ordinary revenue-collector working for the power companies are usually thieves! Always collecting bribes and defrauding the power distribution companies. They should go and ensure that the revenue-collectors pay more attention to collect debts for thier companies reather than into their pockets.
Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by proxillin(m): 2:49pm On Jul 21, 2016
Jonathan did a shabby job on the privatization.

NEPA was better off
Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by nickxtra(m): 2:50pm On Jul 21, 2016
taylor88:
naija don tire me

How possible to kill yourself and run away at the same time?

1 Like

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by ayobase(m): 2:57pm On Jul 21, 2016
themall:
The ordinary revenue-collector working for the power companies are usually thieves! Always collecting bribes and defrauding the power distribution companies. They should go and ensure that the revenue-collectors pay more attention to collect debts for thier companies reather than into their pockets.

With those idiots who do help customers to bypass.

How I wish Nigerians can as well report corrupt Disco staff as they do to police as well, but an average Nigerian will like to cheat.
Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by tivta(m): 2:58pm On Jul 21, 2016
Flets:
Nigeria's gas reserves is immense for gas energy, infact Nigeria substructure is made of gas reserves with some oil in it
Nigeria has one of the strongest winds on its coastal lines for wind energy
Nigeria has tons of fast moving water bodies for hydro energy
Beneath Enugu state lies massive deposits of coal energy
The solar energy from the sun in Northern Nigeria is unimaginable

Nigeria can comfortably generate energy to power the whole of west Africa but there is a problem.

The problem is Nigeria's structure. We must embrace true federalism today. Let SS generate power from its gas turbines, let SE generate from its coal deposits, let the coastal region partner with wind energy companies, let the north generate solar energy in partnership with solar energy companies, let the middle belt with fast moving water bodies generate hydro energy from our water bodies.

Without true federalism, No region will invest in these alternative but robust energy sources because of over dependence on oil and gas and we will continue to sabotage efforts aimed at generating these energies under this non-functional unitary system.

The Only Hope for a united Nigeria is True Federalism QED.

I concur, unfortunately tribalism and greed won't allow such to happen...
Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by adebayo201: 3:08pm On Jul 21, 2016
nickxtra:
How possible to kill yourself and run away at the same time?

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 21, 2016
An many blissfully ignorant are so desperate for a prayer in Hell to change Nigeria's fortunes..
1: Consumers are paying Fuel Subsidies to suppliers to buy petrol at profitable rates and sell back to consumers at profitable rates - Double Payment
2: Consumers are paying for Gas to be supplied to PHCN so PHCN can in turn sell back to consumers - Double Payment

Soon DEATH will charges us to keep us dead when we die.

1 Like

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by kolaish(m): 3:35pm On Jul 21, 2016
taylor88:
naija don tire me

PLEASE WE NEED U AROUND TO SHARE THIS NIGERIAN BURDEN. IT WILL BE TOO MUCH FOR THE REMAINING OF US TO BEAR IF YOU KILL YOURSELF AND RAN AWAY.

1 Like

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by kolaish(m): 3:41pm On Jul 21, 2016
ayobase:

With those idiots who do help customers to bypass.

How I wish Nigerians can as well report corrupt Disco staff as they do to police as well, but an average Nigerian will like to cheat.
EVEN THEIR OGAS IN THE OFFICE ARE WORST. ALMOST 90% OF WORKERS IN THE SO CALLED PHCN OR IS IT NEPA IS CORRUPT. GO AND LOOK AT THE BIG BIG HOUSES THAT THEY HAVE BUILT FOR THEMSELVES.
Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by Omonigeriarere: 3:44pm On Jul 21, 2016
Y did GEJ privatized this sector for God's sake? This is like moving from frying pan to fire because I don't think the stakeholders have enough capital to finance this sector.

Anyway, his manhood lives.......

Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by SaintUlot: 3:45pm On Jul 21, 2016
Make money daily directly into your bank account. Check my signature to get started
Re: N80bn Electricity Debts: Why Estimated Billing May Persist —investigation by love4rent80s: 3:52pm On Jul 21, 2016
taylor88:
naija don tire me

Person wey don die dey run away ?

Run away and then kill ur self is better, do it quickly so that I can minus one person from naija

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Invite Omoyele Sowore, Again / South South Taught Obi A Lesson He Will Never Forget / Beautification Of Lagos: Pains & Losses Of Petty Traders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.