Stats: 3,149,875 members, 7,806,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:31 PM

Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under (34870 Views)

People With Incredible Bodies Featured In The Guinness World Records / Mass Grave With 200 Bodies Found Under Supermarket In Central Paris(photos). / Man Takes Selfie With Dead Kano Quiz Students Bodies (2) (3) (4)

Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by spartoo: 7:14pm On Jul 21, 2016
I have pondered on this for a while so I decided to make a little research.

The "six-feet" idiom came to be during the Great Plague of London in 1665. With 20 percent of London’s population succumbing to the Bubonic plague, the death rate had reached over 8,000 per week. The disease continued to sweep the country due in part to the shallow graves that bodies were buried in, or so they believed at the time.
In an effort to limit the outbreak, The Lord Mayor of London enacted a series of rules in regard to the plague, which included a mandate that all graves be buried a minimum of six feet deep.
The law fell into disuse for a time as dead bodies were not responsible for the spread of the disease.
The law was eventually overturned in England and its colonies, but this didn’t last long. By the 19th century medical science had seen a huge increase in the use of human cadavers for teaching purposes. While most bodies used were executed criminals, the indigent or donated bodies, the increasing demand led to a shortage of corpses. This demand created a new type of criminal, the Resurrectionists; criminals who stole corpses, also known as “body snatching.”
Grave robbing became a lucrative business.
Grave robbing became a very profitable business. Some grave robbers were able to dig up four corpses per night in less than two hours to sell to the medical colleges. They could perform this task so quickly because during this period many bodies were buried only six inches below the surface. As the fear of being exhumed and displayed in an anatomical theatre for dissection haunted the aristocracy, the law reverted to the old standard of being buried six feet deep.
Modern American burial laws vary from state to state, with many states requiring just a minimum of 18 inches of soil on top of the casket or burial vault. Given an 18-inch dirt buffer and the height of the average casket, a grave as shallow as four feet would be sufficient, but old habits die hard and six feet deep is now standard.

34 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by sinaj(f): 7:31pm On Jul 21, 2016
Nd I didn't knw all this while

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 21, 2016
I will prefer cremation when i die very soon/sooner. smiley grin

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by tsamson(m): 8:44pm On Jul 21, 2016
Hmm
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by babyfaceafrica: 9:00pm On Jul 21, 2016
Noted

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by spartoo: 9:26pm On Jul 21, 2016
crotonite:

I like ur spirit.. not scared of death, yea?
I read that cremation is more hygienic

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:35pm On Jul 21, 2016
spartoo:

why should one fear death when [s]he must surely die. well, i don't think cremation is the most hygienic mode of corpse disposal, it is just an instant decomposition and that is why i prefer it.

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 21, 2016
spartoo:

Me I intend donating my vital organs soon as the doctor certify me flat line. There are lives to be saved, Think about that.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by spartoo: 9:50pm On Jul 21, 2016
aaronson:
Me I intend donating my vital organs soon as the doctor certify me flat line. There are lives to be saved, Think about that.

u hav a point.. jst keep ur vital organs in good shape

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by spartoo: 9:52pm On Jul 21, 2016
crotonite:
why should one fear death when [s]he must surely die. well, i don't think cremation is the most hygienic mode of corpse disposal, it is just an instant decomposition and that is why i prefer it.

jst don't worry about th decomposition part my friend .. ur loved ones will take care of that grin

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jul 21, 2016
spartoo:

jst don't worry about th decomposition part my friend .. ur loved ones will take care of that grin

.....grin spending so much money throwing parties (funeral) on my behalf hell no!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by izsmike: 11:09pm On Jul 21, 2016
Just to prevent theft.. And we Africans r just copy copy. We dnt knw why dey do it yet we practice it like we own it....

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by spartoo: 11:39pm On Jul 21, 2016
izsmike:
Just to prevent theft.. And we Africans r just copy copy. We dnt knw why dey do it yet we practice it like we own it....

most of our daily activities are borrowed, even eating with a spoon grin

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by dynamo77(m): 12:33am On Jul 22, 2016
This is a very reasonable topic

I have always thought about it too and whenever I ask questions, I never get direct answers
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Talk2evan(f): 12:58am On Jul 22, 2016
Same here

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 1:51am On Jul 22, 2016
Thanks. Very educative

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Hadeya(m): 3:42am On Jul 22, 2016
Nice one!!
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 4:43am On Jul 22, 2016
Op, so yhu want to hear stories that touches the heart after burying the dead in a shallow grave abi? Dont yhu know scavengers like hyena and HUMAN BEINGs with hyena like behaviours can dug out the dead and do something nasty with it??!

Abeg park well small

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Psalmuel92(m): 5:19am On Jul 22, 2016
Never knew!
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Layooluwa(f): 5:50am On Jul 22, 2016
Wow, I didn't know too
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by pendusky(m): 6:37am On Jul 22, 2016
crotonite:

just checked ur dp, seems u have cheated dead since a decade ago grin

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by haryomikun(m): 7:30am On Jul 22, 2016
crotonite:
I swear down. Burial seems so lonely.
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by power900: 8:13am On Jul 22, 2016
why even bury a human being, cremate the fucking being and smoke the fucking ashes men!!
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by spartoo: 8:41am On Jul 22, 2016
power900:
why even bury a human being, cremate the fucking being and smoke the fucking ashes men!!

so u also prefer cremation?

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 22, 2016
sinaj:
Nd I didn't knw all this while

Please sad just one round
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by chudyprince: 8:45am On Jul 22, 2016
crotonite:
your entourage might probably smoke your ashes too grin
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by sinaj(f): 8:58am On Jul 22, 2016
mrkayusfit:

Please sad just one round
of wot
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 8:59am On Jul 22, 2016
sinaj:
of wot

Of hot s*x sad

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:05am On Jul 22, 2016
haryomikun:

I swear down. Burial seems so lonely.
exactly, 1 man big coffin in a deep underground. especially when the perverted exhumers target ur grave God forbid.

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 22, 2016
mrkayusfit:

Of hot s*x sad
do you fear death

Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:11am On Jul 22, 2016
pendusky:

just checked ur dp, seems u have cheated dead since a decade ago grin
lol... dat is not me ooo. me still young wink
Re: Why Do We Bury Dead Bodies Six Feet Under by Nobody: 9:12am On Jul 22, 2016
crotonite:
do you fear death

Because u be cultist bah? Wetin concern u for who i chose to fuccck

TASUED Fresh Graduate Commits Suicide Over Possible Carryover (Photos) / 10 Pictures You Will Relate To If You Ever Schooled In A Boarding School. / Walden University Is On My Neck.