Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:48 PM

Please Don't Scream (PDS) - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Please Don't Scream (PDS) (26218 Views)

Please Don't Scream (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by FrostyButter: 10:18am On Aug 24, 2018
cry
Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by omamush(f): 1:41pm On Aug 24, 2018
nice story, slowest updates ever, its taking years, since 2016, hope u are Good @the writer God is your strength..

2 Likes

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by Tbekz(m): 2:53pm On Aug 24, 2018
Weeell. The story is beautiful, Buh the OP is just like me, can't shuffle time in our real lives with our writing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 4:02pm On Aug 27, 2018
Like I said, to begin to understand what I had seen in Lola's aunts place, it is crucial that I tell this tale. Likewise, It is of the essence you pay rapt attention to every detail as the tale journeys to its all-important point, so if you must blink, sneeze, cough, or do anything that takes your attention away, even for a second, do it now.

I glanced at Ben from the corner of my eyes as she fought sleep. I stole a look at the mirror and observed the kid fast asleep on the back sit and decided to have another look at my daughter since she was probably asleep as well.

" face the road". she shot at me as I tried to turn in her direction.

She was now wide awake. An inner smile couldn't be helped.I loved her with every part of me. I honestly never wanted her to turn out like this. Not the kind of life any father plans for his daughter. I was doing my best, the best way any good father possibly could . What did it even mean to be a good father? No matter how hard you try, you cant cage them up. I tried that by putting her in the monastery, I wondered what even happened there. That was the safest place a child could grow up far from violence. Probably a good topic for conversation between father and daughter.

"So, how is the monastery?"

"The what?"

"The monastery, the one you grew up in?"

She was quiet and continued looking straight ahead like she had not heard me.

"We would be spending about another hour on the road, I figured we could have a friendly chat at least."

She was silent again. I wondered what she might be into. Maybe a favorite sport, or radio program. Speaking of radio, I thought of tuning on the car stereo, maybe I might find out what kind of music she fancied. It's sad when the only thing you know about your child is their name.

I thought against turning on the stereo, it might just set her off. Maybe if I stop by a fast food joint on the road she might be more engaging. A nice meal should loosen her up. But then again, we were on an express way, far from town, the next food stop was at least twenty minutes away if I maintained my current speed. I could endure the silence for that long.

"Where exactly are you taking me to?"

I felt even more sad. She made it seem like I had kidnapped her. I felt like saying home, or maybe somewhere that sounded more reassuringly warm. I wondered what her idea of home was. Probably not what a stranger would call home. Such a paradox as that would make her the visitor. I almost smiled.

"If you wouldn't tell me where, fine."

Silly me, this was the window I was looking for. She had just given me a rare opportunity to make conversation.

"My mansion. It's a very safe place to stay off radar for as long as you want."

"how exactly is a mansion supposed to be 'off the radar'". She said with a huge frown.

Oh my, I might have just set her mood off. My best resolve was to stay quiet and wait for another opportunity for a conversation to come up. From the looks of things, I might not get that for another hour.

I smiled again making a mental replay of the face she made when I spoke about the mansion.

The mansion. If only she knew it was the safest place. I remembered when I first found the mansion.

Yes, you find the mansion, you don't build it, you just find it. There are just two of its kind in the world, the whole wide world. That's how rare it is, and who would imagine it would be behind a scruffy motel. Well, you find the rarest things in the weirdest places.

Placeville motel and bar. How would I ever forget such a name? I freaking named the place myself.

My trip down memory lane came to a stop as I sighted something ominous ahead. I turned to my daughter and quickly placed index finger on her fore head, she tried to say something and fell asleep immediately. I had managed to smear her fore head with a little ink.

The black substance has flown down my right eye through my arm to my palm. No need to waste so much energy on whatever enemy was ahead. There was a war coming, and I needed all the energy I could get . It chose the worst possible time to show it self, and the verdict was already death. Death by excruciating pain. It would wish Rita was around to give it a swift instant death.

I squeezed my fist and the ink that had flown to my palm was just enough. I concentrated and forged it into two well fashioned bullets. I stopped the ink flow and focussed the rest of my abilities on my ocular power.

Picked up the bag at the back sit. At the rate I was driving, given the distance, I had four minutes to make the shot quietly
and not wake the kid at the back. The distance I needed to hit was 750meters. I needed something strong to make the hit perfect

I gently assembled the silencer. The rifle weighed just about 5kg, nice recoil, the French had done a nice one with the FrF1. No much strain on the arm. Not so many great snipe riffles around the time, but once I had seen it while the kid was packing the bag, I made a mental note of it. Who ever my daughters gun dealers were knew, they definitely knew their onion. None of her guns were locally made. Even priests didn't have this quality of artillery.

I still had 3minutes to my self. So I studied the being. It walked with so much arrogance. I also observed the color of its aura, as sinister as it gets. My guess, a noble guard to one of the brothers. I placed my eyes on the scope and took another quick look.

Normal bullets wouldn't even make a mark on its skin, but these will, I said to myself as I slid one of my ink forged bullets. It fitted just like it's match grade ammunition. Snipe rifles generally project bullets at the same velocities as every other fire arm . However, their designs consider projectiles that are very aerodynamic. I manipulate my ink to the perfect density when forging the bullets to make a fatal impact. At a thousand meter per second, give the distance about 750 meters, there is no way it could dodge within a fraction of a second, only two creatures I knew could do that , and even if it were possible it was that fast, that was why I had a second bullet to do the final damage and one more card I had up my sleeve. I took a deep breath and tried to regulate my blood lust.

I pulled the trigger!
Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 4:07pm On Aug 27, 2018
Tbekz:
Weeell. The story is beautiful, Buh the OP is just like me, can't shuffle time in our real lives with our writing.

Pretty much... I'm so sorry everyone.

I had this really long updates right after the last. I was so into it. then I lost the phone with all my notes it.
Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by KunleAJ(m): 5:09pm On Aug 27, 2018
darkid1:

Pretty much... I'm so sorry everyone.

I had this really long updates right after the last. I was so into it. then I lost the phone with all my notes it.
It was excruciating to think you won't update again. Thanks for the update, God bless.

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 7:25pm On Aug 27, 2018
My eyes widened in horror, I know that creature very well, and I see why it walked with so much confidence. Only The Ghost Maker would bring a sword to a gun fight. No one knew who his master was, but I had heard a lot about him. We were both legends, and no one that ever saw us use our abilities lived to talk about it. But I met someone who did get to talk to me about it. A ghost actually.

You see, this war is one I plan on wining, so even if I had to question ghosts of those killed by my potential threats, yes I did. The length I would go through to win, these bastards cant even begin to fathom.

I had to put the thoughts aside and end this foe quickly. I didn't want my beautiful daughter to wake. It's bad enough what she is into, it's best never to let her know about other dangers in her world.

The Ghost Maker, was a master swords man. In fact, it's only a trained eye and a focused mind that could see this hand move with the blade. It's like trying to focus on a moving blade of a really good fan . He earned the name by of course making ghosts out of his victims.

His sword was fast enough and sharp enough to cut multiple bullets. Even if I was lucky to use a semi automatic rifle on him and by some stroke of fate, his sword misses a bullet , I would have to get close enough cause of projectile. Getting close to someone like that is suicide. If he trained his arm to be so fast, who knows how fast his legs are. I was processing all these thoughts in a second. My best bet was to use this distance to my advantage still. But the had deflected the bullet with his blade. The sword had to be made of diamond or some crazy material, cause I know how much I modified my ink bullet.

I had to think fast, if I drew closer and crossed any thing less than 700 meters from this guy, my chances of winning is one in a hundred and twenty chances.

He smiled. He must have figured the same thing I was thinking. The brothers were really playing dirty sending this kind of monster after me. Well, It was war, and all is fair in love and war.

I saw a death agent sitting on a tree by the road side as my vehicle passed. It was a sign someone was going to die, and it was there to collect the ghost of one of the two of us or both. One way or another someone was scheduled to die on his list.

I put the thought aside again, about 10 seconds gone. I knew I would kill him, and he knew he would kill me, from color of his aura. So much arrogance. I would definitely make this one suffer before he dies, I thought as I took a deep breathe of Fresh air with my gun sticking out of the window.

I inserted the next bullet, my last card, this time, I require more focus, as I saw him focus also. I couldn't help but smile and that threw him off. I pulled the trigger, and he cut it with he blade.

He let out a breathe of relief, and I made a shocked expression. Now, I was closing in on him. There was no turning back, one way or another, he would have all the advantage. By all indications, I had lost this battle. Except, that I faked the shocked expression. All I needed to do was hope the distance between us was enough. I was counting on it. He charged towards my car at an impressive speed as my car also drew close to him, like two angry rams charging at each other.

Then he fell dead on the floor. I chuckled again, slowing down gently till I stopped. I watch his eyes go black as he held his throat. He was in agony. He arm had rotted away, likewise the rest of his body.

When I made the second shot, I manipulated the state of the ink and it stuck to his blade in a viscous state, and crawled up to his skin while he was charging at me, he didn't notice. My ink has a mind of its own when instructed. It found it way through his skin into his system and damaged anything alive in his body.

The ink burst studies the body of a creature and finds the fastest way to inflict pain while killing the organism. The pain can make a person go clinically insane if it's attacking just one organ at a time. His full body system was under attack. I promised it an excruciatingly painful death.

Such a waste of a great noble guard. By now, his master would have felt it. I picked what I came down from my car to pick; his blade. Souvenir to hang In the mansion. Definitely would look good in my study I thought to myself as I brushed shoulders with the death agent who had come to do his job.

The war officially began.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by Parollawd(m): 9:31pm On Aug 27, 2018
interesting story, you can read interesting stories on www.donsimonii.com
Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by KunleAJ(m): 6:01am On Aug 28, 2018
Wow Update

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by pacifust058(m): 9:26pm On Aug 28, 2018
Wow, just came across this story and I sure love it.. I heard you don't update quick but this one shouldn't be so

2 Likes

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by Adroit144(m): 11:37pm On Aug 29, 2018
i was thinking u had abandoned d story but when i saw the intervals between ur previous updates i was hopeful that sooner or later u will update. it is a very good story dat doesn't follow d regular pattern and also not predictable. u are a great writer. but i hope d next update will not be coming by 2019. God Bless You.

5 Likes

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 4:43pm On Sep 05, 2018
After a few minutes of driving, I noticed the boy was awake. He stared at me through the mirror and we kept staring at each other for a while. I didn't need to wonder what he was thinking. The color of his aura gave him away.

He was very scared of me. Like they locked him and a beast in a cage, but his facial expression was dead and hard. It occurred to him that his boss was unconscious and quickly turned to her.

"she is resting."
Maybe I should have used the word 'sleeping', cause his aura I was reading off him was going off the chart. He was scared out of his mind. He wondered how his boss of all people would loose her guard and be asleep. Perhaps I had done something to her.

" You can wake her if you want".
He slowly tapped her and she woke up swiftly, waving a gun at everyone in the car. I don't know why, but I was not surprised.

"You fell asleep. You can put the gun down now."

A while later we stopped at a fast-food restaurant. We were still far from the city, but the environment was much more alive. I confirmed my wallet was in my jacket and turned off the car. We all got down and no one was more happy to out of the car than the kid. Lawrence, I think that's what she called him.

I turned to Ben, "hope you're not carrying any fire-arm inside?"

She stared at me murderously and looked deeply into my eyes. She might have killed me right at the spot if she thought she had a chance at it. This lasted for over a minute. Her aura was on high alert. Such a temper. She furiously removed her pocket pistol from underneath her dress. she had given up the hiding place of the gun when she waved it at me in the car but seeing as events were turning, I had to be extra cautious. It only takes one accidental discharge at the restaurant and I would have made tracking us down easier for our adversaries. She had the police on her tail, I had the most dangerous existing organization on mine.

I collected the gun from her and put everything in the booth. I signaled Lawrence to come over. He was hesitant at first and turned to Ben for approval. She signaled him a go ahead.

"I and your boss would go in there and get some food."
I pulled out a two 5 kobo coins, and pointed at a payphone close to the car.

"The restaurants number is on a poster glued to the payphone. I want you to watch, if you find anything suspicious, just call the number and ensure it rings three times." It never occurred to me that the kid could be mute. His nodding was all the reassurance I needed that I had communicated effectively.

"I would get you something to eat inside. Just do as I say."

I smiled inwardly, it was a little trick of my own, seeing as time was of the essence I needed to speed things up. I purposely gave him an extra coin so he would place a call through to the final mystery member of their gang. Going by how intelligent and cautious I had taken the kid to be. Also going by his closeness to Ben, he definitely knew who the other gang member was, and given his fear for me, he would definitely place a call to the person, the first chance he gets, telling him/her our location.

It's easier that way to lure the fellow out, cause the little I know about Ben is she was never going to give this person up easily.

I could also leverage on that time to recuperate, and get to know my daughter better. Maybe I can even start by knowing her favorite food, and if I'm lucky, get to know even much more. I like to live my life with very much optimism and a little spice of genius.

We walked into the restaurant and I saw her secretly give Lawrence a look.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by afolabiwunmi: 4:59pm On Sep 07, 2018
Wow
Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 4:55pm On Oct 10, 2018
"I take it that you want to start talking." She had been quiet all through her meal, and I almost thought we wouldn't talk. In fact, I was about breaking the silence. Ben had a beautiful authoritative way fo talking that made a her beauty enhanced. Still, I could not wrap my head around how someone so impatient managed the greatest robbery gang I had ever heard of.

" I don't know what you are, why I even believed you and followed you. Well I guess you didn't give me a choice either. Are you not going to at least say something..."

Her voice trailed off as I watched her lips constantly moving but all I heard was an out of tune piano playing in the background. I looked around and no one seemed disturbed. I realized I was the only one hearing it. It wasn't the regular piano playing, least the sound any thing earthly but ominous.

"Hey, I'm talking to you!"

I turned my attention back to Ben without making being suspicious. I knew what the sound meant. A ghost was beaconing onto me. I had to see it and sent if off quickly. It was an urgent message I was expecting. These days, ghosts where the best people you could use to deliver delicate information.

If I stood and left Ben alone here to go and pick up my package, she would just disappear and I knew tracking her down would been serious work. I was already behind schedule. If I suspend the consciousness of everyone in the restaurant including hers, too much use of my power, and war times like this, it would be obtuse not conserve all you can. If I put only her to sleep, some good Samaritan might notice and do something funny.

"Ben, how would you like to know all about your mother. Give a moment, and sit put. "

I left her dumb founded and torn between running away or staying back to find out the one thing that had haunted her all her life. One minute was enough to keep her mind battling between running away or waiting. Enough time to return. If she was anything smart, she would sit and await my return.

I made my way to the gents. I found an empty stall, placed a spirit marking on the door, walked in and shut the door. I felt a presence walk into the john, and slowing crept into my stall.

It was a kid, about seven years old at most, but definitely been around for very long, for him to be entrusted to deliver such confidential document. I knew he was a ghost well alright. He had one hand ripped off and part of his head bashed open leaving not much in his skull to imagination.

By now, you're wondering how these ghosts roam around and they don't get collected by death agents. Allow me to digress for a moment.

When a person dies, the typical modus of operation is a death agent arrives grabs the ghost, and does the necessary transport. As simple as that. When dead, there is no fighting a death agent, no running away, no negotiation, no begging, no matter how powerful you are; your death agent gets to you, it's good bye. Death agents are very annoying workaholic beings. No one knows where they come from or where they go with the ghosts. But I know for a fact they they journey from earth with their transport through a number of planes I have been to myself. They hardly ever want to talk to you. As children our mothers would scare us with bed time stories about how bad children that do not bringing honor to their district would pass on and would return as a death agent, and I can remember how terrifying that sounded.

This brings me to their appearance. Death agents are by far the most hideous creatures I have come across yet, and trust me, I have seen all kinds of monsters. The do not have a definite look, as each one has a unique kind of ugliness, but you know them when you see them. Their ugliness is not the kind you forget easily, yet they can take whatever form they want on their off days allowing them to relax anywhere in the world as anyone and do anything . They work round the clock get one off day after 20 years of working. Like I said, they are obsessed with their work, and only a person like me would know all this, cause I pay attention to detail, especially when such information would be instrumental to me.

So the question still is, how are these ghosts roaming about? If death agents are so obsessive and diligent about their work, why is this happening? Like all systems in the universe, there is no perfect system. Perhaps that in its self is the perfection. This amongst many reasons is what led to the war. Legend has it that it started with one man. The glitch had happened to him first. He was a monk for the mountain district. Legend has it that he made it out of his body about moments before he died. Realizing what had happened to him, in his ghost form, he decided to explore the world. The death agent who was his handler arrived at the collection point for his ghost and couldn't find him. Disorientated cause in all his life as an agent he had never missed a name, time nor place. He searched and searched, never to find the ghost.

He wasn't the only one. And there was a second, a third, a forth and more and more cases like this would happen from time to time.

I went through the documents and smiled. It was good news. Great news in fact. I scrolled through the terms of the agreement. Satisfied, I placed my ink on the stamp that had "the order of the alchemists". I smiled. Bello was really a friend I could depend on in times of war like this. A brilliant young man, and a visionary. I was indeed impressed that he was going on with this and was really serious about his dream of unifying all witches in a single, unified and monitored coven which he called "the order of the alchemists."

For the first time in centuries, the witches would have a Nobel. He had all my support in battle, and diplomacy was left for him to execute. I had faith in him, and sure of his abilities. His mother was the most legendary witch I ever knew, and I was sure he must have acquired a lot from her.

I handed the document back to the boy. Bello was going to help me kill some Nobles and I was going to help him kill some witches.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by FrostyButter: 4:58pm On Oct 10, 2018
cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by pacifust058(m): 8:11pm On Oct 10, 2018
Thanks for the update

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 10:11am On Dec 29, 2019
I returned to the restaurant and Ben wasn't at her sit. I looked around the restaurant and she was no where to be found. Why would she leave? What was she thinking to take off like that in the middle of nowhere? I took a deep breath. She couldn't have gone far, after all, I was gone only for a moment. I was feeling hazy and hysterical. Why does the universe keep playing games with me?

I walked up to the couple that took a table close to us earlier. They seemed to be about leaving, and the lady was signaling a waiter and laughing as something the man had said. They looked their 40s and a rich happy couple, judging by the expensive necklace around her nice. She laughed loudly again and her husband did the same like they owned the place.

"Hi, have you seen my daughter. She was sitting just right here a minute ago. Long hair, fair, had a gown..."

" Yes yes, I did. She payed for her meal and left, if you're fast you should catch up with her..."

I didn't let her complete her sentence as I dashed towards the door out of the restaurant. I stopped abruptly as I noticed the newspaper on one of the empty tables. I grabbed on to it as I made my way past the door.

The car was parked where it was and she was leaning on it with her arms folded.

"You gave me a scare. I told you not to leave."

" So something can scare you."

" Just get in the car and let's go." I turned to the boy as well. " You too."

"You know, I think you're running from something too. Something worse than the police. Maybe you're even the police and you're working under cover. Maybe nothing you have told me since we met is real. Not like you've told me anything significant anyway. So why should I get in the car? ".

I held the news paper over her face.

" You see this? It's real. Can you read the headline? "

She snatched the newspaper off my hands quickly.

" Now let's go. I would tell you everything you need to know. But we need to move."

There was a sketch of a man on the front page of the news paper described as the famous Humble Ben. Clearly Alice did not completely rat them out, but he did get them all killed. He was protecting Ben and Lawrence.

There was so much mystery surrounding their story. So many unanswered questions. By now, Rita probably has all the answers.

" I knew it! I knew he wouldn't betray me like that. But why would he rat out the rest? Something is not right." Ben has just put my thoughts to words.

We were back on the road and Ben was silently consuming the papers. When she was done, she folded the papers and dropped on the dashboard. She picked them again. And passed them to the kid at the back.

" We need to get Alice. I can pull it off. I've pulled off more impossible missions. I need to get Alice."

" I'm already on it. I told you I'm here to help you. Just sit put."

We were both thinking the same thing. She might be ill tempered, but smart. Smarter than I thought. Only stupid criminals underestimate the police. Sooner or later, they would realise the man sketched on the papers is a dead end. Perhaps even arrest an unfortunate look alike and that, I couldn't let happen.

Good thing I have a master plan I thought to myself as we drove off.

" So what do you want to know? I'm ready to answer all your questions."

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by fattprince(m): 6:05pm On Dec 29, 2019
darkid1:
I returned to the restaurant and Ben wasn't at her sit. I looked around the restaurant and she was no where to be found. Why would she leave? What was she thinking to take off like that in the middle of nowhere? I took a deep breath. She couldn't have gone far, after all, I was gone only for a moment. I was feeling hazy and hysterical. Why does the universe keep playing games with me?

I walked up to the couple that took a table close to us earlier. They seemed to be about leaving, and the lady was signaling a waiter and laughing as something the man had said. They looked their 40s and a rich happy couple, judging by the expensive necklace around her nice. She laughed loudly again and her husband did the same like they owned the place.

"Hi, have you seen my daughter. She was sitting just right here a minute ago. Long hair, fair, had a gown..."

" Yes yes, I did. She payed for her meal and left, if you're fast you should catch up with her..."

I didn't let her complete her sentence as I dashed towards the door out of the restaurant. I stopped abruptly as I noticed the newspaper on one of the empty tables. I grabbed on to it as I made my way past the door.

The car was parked where it was and she was leaning on it with her arms folded.

"You gave me a scare. I told you not to leave."

" So something can scare you."

" Just get in the car and let's go." I turned to the boy as well. " You too."

"You know, I think you're running from something too. Something worse than the police. Maybe you're even the police and you're working under cover. Maybe nothing you have told me since we met is real. Not like you've told me anything significant anyway. So why should I get in the car? ".

I held the news paper over her face.

" You see this? It's real. Can you read the headline? "

She snatched the newspaper off my hands quickly.

" Now let's go. I would tell you everything you need to know. But we need to move."

There was a sketch of a man on the front page of the news paper described as the famous Humble Ben. Clearly Alice did not completely rat them out, but he did get them all killed. He was protecting Ben and Lawrence.

There was so much mystery surrounding their story. So many unanswered questions. By now, Rita probably has all the answers.

" I knew it! I knew he wouldn't betray me like that. But why would he rat out the rest? Something is not right." Ben has just put my thoughts to words.

We were back on the road and Ben was silently consuming the papers. When she was done, she folded the papers and dropped on the dashboard. She picked them again. And passed them to the kid at the back.

" We need to get Alice. I can pull it off. I've pulled off more impossible missions. I need to get Alice."

" I'm already on it. I told you I'm here to help you. Just sit put."

We were both thinking the same thing. She might be ill tempered, but smart. Smarter than I thought. Only stupid criminals underestimate the police. Sooner or later, they would realise the man sketched on the papers is a dead end. Perhaps even arrest an unfortunate look alike and that, I couldn't let happen.

Good thing I have a master plan I thought to myself as we drove off.

" So what do you want to know? I'm ready to answer all your questions."

angry
We hope you would finish this now. Common an update after more than a year. But nice story all the same

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 8:51pm On Dec 29, 2019
My plan was very simple. Bello would prove himself useful to me in this coming war, but first I need to put my house in order and I have to start with my family. I needed to first get all attention away from my daughter. Bello... I would need his help to solve this little problem first.

I picked up the news paper ; Daily times New paper, Sunday edition, front page. I noted the date as well. It had referred to page three for more of the story being covered. I would require of Bello to get me a dead body with a perfect resemblance to the fellow sketched on this paper. I would need the body also positioned somewhere the police would find it. 'Humble Ben' needed to die, and If Humble Ben is dead, one problem off my list.

Of cause it would be hard to find someone that looks just like the man sketched. It would require a number of spells and rituals. Something Bello could do easily.

By tomorrow, the police should find this dead Humble Ben's body, a suicide note and wards of cash stacked in his apartment. It would bring the dramatic story to its end. As after climax, stories tends to fall flat, lacking in dramatic intensity. This would give every follower of the Humble Ben story their closure and draw its final curtains. Most importantly, the police would be satisfied they have their man. It would be and open and shut case.

The boy and whomever he placed a call to was another issue I needed to address. I had a plan for that as well, but one thing at a time. Right now, I needed to bond with my daughter.

I turn to Ben who was expecting a response. I tend to forget what she asked now, I thought to myself. I had been walking through my plans in my head, amongst a many other plans and a thousand problems in my life. Like I said, one problem at a time. I had to ask her what her question was again, cause clearly I wasn't paying attention.

"I asked how you knew my mother"

" I loved her."

"Are we related?"

" Yes"

"Are you my father?"

"Yes"

" Okay."

Okay? She took that rather well. I was expecting anything but that. I stole a glance at her. The girl is full of surprises.

" Are you okay?"

"Sure... Don't bother explaining. The monks said you would always come back for me. I didn't know it would take so long."

The monks? What the hell was she talking about. We really had a lot to catch up on.

A long part of the ride was silent. At some point, She brought out packs of food we had bought for the road trip and handed a packed meal to Lawrence and settled to consume hers. I watched the creepy child eat his food whilst our eyes made contact through the rear view mirror. Such a creepy boy.

She later would turn the radio on, and tune from frequency to frequency. I figured she was trying to listen in if anything had surfaced in the media about her gang, but nothing. Just religious music, game shows and talk shows.

"I heard she died while giving birth to me. I'm sorry you went through that".

She reclined her chair and closed her eyes.

"You know, when I shot you and you wouldn't die, I figured you were my father. While i was at the monastery, all the nuns did were hume, sleep and gossip; and through gossips, I learnt you were a very powerful person. I always imagined they meant rich or something like that " she signed, and continued." But even then, I sensed it was more than that. I just have one last question for you".

In the little time I had spent with her, I never heard her speak so affirmative. She picked her words carefully like all her life she had lived just for this moment. To say those words and deliver them effortlessly. She wasn't faking this level of calmness. Her aura read complete honesty. She was articulate as she was stern-faced.

"Whats your question?"

2 Likes

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 8:52pm On Dec 29, 2019
fattprince:

We hope you would finish this now. Common an update after more than a year. But nice story all the same

I'm sorry embarassed
Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by fattprince(m): 8:55pm On Dec 29, 2019
darkid1:

I'm sorry embarassed
You don't need to be sorry at least to me because honestly I just started reading it today. And because it is interesting I finished the last update today too. So I'm not offended but please update quickly and consistently so as to bring back your fans. The story is really cool
Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 8:23am On Feb 10, 2020
"How solid is your plan?"

"Well, I would say 9 out of 10 times, my plans always work." I took my eyes off the road for a moment and met with hers staring intensely at me.

" Why are you staring at me like that?"

" We look nothing alike."

I pulled the glove compartment with one hand and pointed at a folder. She pulled it out and a picture fell right out of it. She picked it and studied it carefully. I wanted her to see what her mother looked like.

" You look like her. That's the only picture we all took together. "

"This place, I've seen this place in my dreams before." She studied it further quietly.

In her dreams she said. Good thing I got to her before she gets stuck there. Never been so glad in my life.

" When did you start having these dreams?"

" A year ago. It started out like once a week and it's been more more frequent recently." She went quiet again, still studying the picture.

It was a picture I had taken of myself, her and her mother.

" This place, it's a beach right?" I almost answered, before she continued what seemed to be a conversation she was having with herself

" It's so beautiful. I've never seen a sea look so crystal clear blue. You know, when the dreams started, I became so obsessed with finding where this beach is " she paused.

" Where is it?"

" I thought you would be more excited to know what your mother looked like. " I picked the photographer from her and kept it on the dashboard.

" Where is it? "

"Nowhere you can find kid."

She turn towards the window as the warm air blew against her turban, now wrapped around her neck.

" Who took the picture?"

" You mean the photographer?"

"Yes."

" Your aunt." I took my eyes off the road and turn towards her. I expect some questions, but non came and so I faced the road once more, with my eyes checking in the kid at the back from time to time.

That was the last question Ben would ask till we arrived at Placeville motel.

There was a small band playing juju music at the outdoor lounge. It was typical for different bands to perform at evenings till early mornings. Not the particularly successful kind of performers. They performed at taverns, dance halls, brothels and any place of relaxation one could find. Most bands will only perform during the weeknights, leaving the weekends free for more lucrative gigs.

Recently, I had started to take a likeness this particular genre of music.

" Hey, what do you think about this music" I asked Ben as I turned the car off.

She stared at me for a while, like she was trying to decide if the music was good or not. Then we both laughed.

" it's not so bad, trust me. You listen to it long enough, and it grows on you."

Abass, the inn manager had sent a boy to pick up our luggages.

" Sir, good to have you back sir." Abass said as he fumbled with a bunch of keys.

Ben, myself and Laurence were now at the reception.

" Hey, you didn't tell me your mansion is a motel." Ben whispered. She had now tied her turban around her head and wrapped around part of her face.

" Ben, what you're about to see in a few minutes, I need you to be prepared. Cause things are going to move very fast from here. "

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by Dybala11(m): 2:27pm On Feb 10, 2020
OP please don't go into another round of hiatus. I'm anticipating the next update of this wonderful story!

2 Likes

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 1:46pm On Apr 01, 2020
She nodded her head. I picked my keys from Abass and we moved into the room. I took one look around before I shut the door.

I walked briskly to the cupboard and knocked. Then I turned to Ben.
" So what you're about to see, I need you not to be scared, nor worried. Lakin is my house keeper, and has been working for me for years now, so be nice and don't try to attack him. He is quite different, I mean in appearance, so try not to let that upset you and..."

The cupboard cracked open. Speak of the man...

Lakin folded himself out of the cupboard as he crept out. Lakin was a skinny ridiculously tall man, whose bones could bend, Which he was often forced to do due to his height.

At about 11 feet , he would need to bend his body around the room, which he often did in regular sized places. His head was bald, but managed to keep a few loose stands. He would always clad himself in a dark three piece suit, which had a way of bringing out the darkness in his eyes. He had large dark shriveled eyes, that sat in sockets that seemed to always have been over worked with dark rings around them. It would almost appear like he had not slept for days.

His face was oval and always had a warm smile, which could be disturbing whenever he was silent. He was very well aware of his unique appearance and would put an effort to ensure he wasn't scaring anyone. He pointed his long fingers towards the bags Abass had dropped in a corner of the room.

"Should I get that for you Sir".

I turned to Ben, whose turban had dropped fallen off her head.

My body was wet from sweat and the water rain drops had left on my skin.
Perspiration ran down my face in drops to Rita's palms and down to the carpet floor. Rite had her palm wrapped around my mouth.

On the floor was Lola with a first aid kit, searching for something hysterically. Across the room was a freakishly tall lean man in a three piece suit smiling and waving at me. Behind him was another strange looking creature holding a note pad.

And then came another heavy downpour of rain on the roof sheets.

"Rita, please tell me you're seeing all I'm seeing."

" What do you see?"

" There is a freakishly tall bald man bent around the room. There is a thing!! Behind him... What the hell is that thing!"

" A tall man? Lakin? "

The man had vanished like smoke, and I saw the repulsive creature take Lola's grand mother by the hand and pull her up. Just like that, they had leapt out the window at incredible speed.

But there she was again on the floor as Lola was injecting a substance into her chest.

"Chika, what you just witnessed is a death agent transporting a ghost." Rita whispered into my ears.

"She is dead, and there is nothing Lola can do... I am more interested in the tall man you saw. Where was he seated?"

I tried to process all she had said. I watched Lola struggle with her grand mothers body. The whole concept of life became so meaningless before me. She was dead, and nothing changed. Life was as it was...

" Chika Chika! " Rita jolted my consciousness that was experiencing some sort of existential metamorphosis.

"He was seated right there. On the single couch."

The house was a really small one and there was only one single couch in the living room. There was also a three sitter couch, but that's all that could fit into a room that small.

There was a picture of a couple hanging on the wall, an old Christmas tree that not taken off, a cassette player, a small television set, a plastic center table and an aroma of food.

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 1:47pm On Apr 01, 2020
Rita ignored the dead lady on the floor and Lola and walked across the room towards the couch. The picked a note that seemed to have been left behind by the strange tall man and walked back to me.

"She was right when she said the motel had been trashed. Lakin has moved the mansion somewhere else. Somewhere safe and here is how we find it."

I did not understand a word of what she said, but I watched her memorize content of the paper. Afterward, she handed it over to me to destroy when I can.

" What do we do about the girl and her dead grandmother now?" I asked Rita.

" No idea... I'm sure we would come up with something."

We both stared at Lola cry into the night.

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 2:11pm On Apr 01, 2020
It was late into the night and Lola had made food and was now setting the table. I lost count of how long she cried, but she eventually stopped.

We had all taken turns to take a shower in a single bathroom the house had, and everyone was quite relaxed. Lola had prepared change of clothes for us, even though the clothes were not fit, but it felt nice to be in clean clothes.

I had dug a small grave in the backyard and we planned to move the body in the night's darkness. I had no moral issues with that, since it was purely an accident. Not like I was fit for any platform to lunch sanctimonious morals, but my conscience was clear.

Often times when it rains, the electric distribution company would shut down power, and it was at such time like this, we were.

Lola had set the table and a lantern on that illuminated the room. We sat around the table like perfectly normal people in the little dining room as the old lady's body, now wrapped in sheets laid behind us in the living room.

Everyone had a plate of yam porridge before them, and we all ate quietly.

I had destroyed the note Rita had told me to by flushing it down the toilet after a brief period of being one with nature. It was a long day and I needed to do something that felt normal and relaxing.

" I wish she didn't die like that" Lola broke the silence.

"Well, it was an accident. It wasn't your fault." I said.

"No, you don't get it. I wanted to kill her myself... Slowly." Lola said staring intensely at the flame of the lantern.

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by bikassava: 12:51am On Apr 02, 2020
Following

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by scott04: 10:02pm On Apr 02, 2020
hope u wont go on another long hiatus. anyway we dey follow bumber 2 bumber

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by darkid1(m): 8:07am On Apr 03, 2020
I stared at Lola and Rita across the table. It was a small wooden dining table. The kinds that came with four chairs.

Rita seemed unconcerned about what Lola had just said, and everyone ate their dinner in silence .

After the meal, I had had joined Rita to clear the table and signalled her to meet me in the kitchen.

"I think this girl has a psychological problem. She might just kill us in our sleep. Once we help her burry her grand mother, we get out of here quickly." I said in hushed tones.

"I'm coming with you guys"

Lola had been eves dropping. I realised the house was too tiny for sounds not to travel around, or perhaps she was just standing at the jamb of the door and I did not notice her.

" No, you can't come with us."

I turned to Rita who was busy washing her plates.

It was about 1 am now and we were all whispering in the house, while the old ladies body still laid in the sitting room.

"if you're bothered about what I said early, perhaps if I told you my story you think otherwise of me."

"You can't come with us, and that's it"

"I can be of help." Lola spoke up again. She stared at me intensely, like she had stared at the fire.

"You just got your life back, dont you want to live it? Okay, let say you come with us, how can you possibly be of help?"

"Let's burry my grandma first and I would show you something."

I turned to Rita who was already done with the dishes. She smiled and turned to the body.

"she is right, we better get rid of that quietly, before the neighbors wake up. It's a close nit neighborhood."

I and Lola had moved the body to the grave Rita had quietly covered it. She was quite strong for her small body frame. She was slim and tall for a girl. Taking a first look at her, the first thing that comes to mind is 'beautiful and fragile", but here she was moving the now heavy corpse with me impressively. I was glad there was no power supply, and the darkness helped. Lola had cleaned the carpet and and I was set to sleep.

" We live very early in the morning Chika, so try not to sleep for too long." Rita had said after we buried the woman.

I took a spot on the three sitter couch and Rita took the single couch. I couldn't make much of that. I had never seen her sleep, so I just went with that.

Lola joined us in the sitting room with a mat. I would have thought she would take a room to herself.

" I can't sleep in any of those rooms by myself." No one answered her.

" I promised to show you people something." my eyes that were slowly closing opened. I was in some ways curious. She had stared at me intensely the other time. This had better be good.

I noticed besides the mat on her hand, she had a bag on her shoulder. She dropped the bag on the floor, and now I was wide awake.

Rita and I moved closer toward the bag and watched Lola roll the mat, sit on the floor and slowly unzipped the bag. Rita held the lantern above us

It was money. The bag was filled with more money than I had ever seen in my life.

"Plus I can cook, so I'm coming with you".

1 Like

Re: Please Don't Scream (PDS) by hidhrhis(m): 3:14pm On Apr 03, 2020
Op please complete this story
Dont waste your talent bro uve got a great story here

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

SHADOWS: A published legal & crime NOVEL by a NAIRALANDER / Why Do Most Nigerians Fail To Pronounce These Words Correctly? / The Lost Key

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.