Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. (8076 Views)

Why Is Nairaland Homepage Looking Like This / Nairaland Homepage Bug / Sourceforge.net Is Down - Only Their Homepage Is Working (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by Seun(m): 9:02am On Jul 25, 2016
Nice! Seems mobile only though.
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by KingEbukaNaija: 9:06am On Jul 25, 2016
lordZOUGA:

It is a prototype.

Can you incorporate social media post sharing ?

I mean if you click on a post , it comes up while the background fades , then you have options to share the OP or even any comment on social media . Your thoughts ?
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by Seun(m): 9:08am On Jul 25, 2016
How will ppl find out what the icons represent?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by KingEbukaNaija: 9:15am On Jul 25, 2016
Seun:

I think its the sections on the forum

Naira icon - Business

Love icon - Romance

etc
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by lordZOUGA(m): 9:17am On Jul 25, 2016
Seun:
Yes, it is mobile only. Targeted at Android.
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by lordZOUGA(m): 9:26am On Jul 25, 2016
Seun:
I agree that will be a problem. There will be a list on the left navigation drawer with text and icons representing each section. This will probably make the tabs irrelevant but in an ideal app, the tabs should only contain sections the user visit frequently.
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by lordZOUGA(m): 9:27am On Jul 25, 2016
KingEbukaNaija:

Can you incorporate social media post sharing ?

I mean if you click on a post , it comes up while the background fades , then you have options to share the OP or even any comment on social media . Your thoughts ?
That is a nice idea but I don't think that feature is available on Nairaland
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by buharisbae(f): 9:57am On Jul 25, 2016
lordZOUGA:
So, I made this UI this morning.

I decided to use Nairaland's current UI palette.

Thoughts?

how would u see ur likes and share? Cuxx that top botton looks like mention only?
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by lordZOUGA(m): 10:15am On Jul 25, 2016
buharisbae:

how would u see ur likes and share? Cuxx that top botton looks like mention only?
That button should go to a page with your profile that should also display your notifications. that number is total notifications.
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by RobinHez(m): 11:06am On Jul 25, 2016
Make sense

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by Codedrock(m): 11:06am On Jul 25, 2016
[size=8pt]
Seun:
So is there any hope Nairaland is ever gonna have an app??
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by abubaka101: 11:13am On Jul 25, 2016
lordZOUGA:

I agree that will be a problem. There will be a list on the left navigation drawer with text and icons representing each section. This will probably make the tabs irrelevant but in an ideal app, the tabs should only contain sections the user visit frequently.
Yh I agree, the nav drawer would make the tabs irrelevant, but note also that Nairaland has many sections, some of which are grouped under a larger section.
I think ideally it should contain sections the user visits the most as you said. But that would mean that on first run, those tabs won't appear, or would you prompt the user to login first before using the app?
That is a key issue.
Beta still, if you get official support, you could just get create icons for each section. But that would cause some accessibility issues as some icons may not be intelligible or intuitive for the user sometimes. For instance, the icon for Web Masters may seem too much like it's a programming section. Nevertheless, users would have to learn to use/recognize the icons.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by lordZOUGA(m): 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2016
abubaka101:

Yh I agree, the nav drawer would make the tabs irrelevant, but note also that Nairaland has many sections, some of which are grouped under a larger section.
I think ideally it should contain sections the user visits the most as you said. But that would mean that on first run, those tabs won't appear, or would you prompt the user to login first before using the app?
That is a key issue.
Beta still, if you get official support, you could just get create icons for each section. But that would cause some accessibility issues as some icons may not be intelligible or intuitive for the user sometimes. For instance, the icon for Web Masters may seem too much like it's a programming section. Nevertheless, users would have to learn to use/recognize the icons.
Exactly, users always learn. An average active user will prefer getting to the content quicker. So, the faster he can get to the content the better user experience for him.

I also think Nairaland have more returning active users daily than new users so when it comes to a compromise between what new users will prefer and what older users will prefer, older users should be given priority
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by gj22(m): 2:04pm On Jul 25, 2016
Yeah, a drawer is better than tabs.

Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by halimi26: 3:36pm On Jul 25, 2016
jidez007:

lol. it's not as if 2026 is that far

This ur comment made me laugh

There used 2 be a former romanceland moderator called 'sexkillz" who used

2 ban monickers till 2362

Atleast my case better pass their own
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by yorex2011: 4:06pm On Jul 25, 2016
Here's what i think
the top navigation tab should have followed topics, likes/shares, mentions, and trending

the sidebar should have the different forums (whic would be arranged based on the users followed boards) or have a default arrangement

the icon bar on the userprofile in the sidebar would have the users dp, then his signature beneath .

click would link to the account/edit profile activity

nairaland may not have a web api of sorts but you can be clever with Curl or something of sorts

eventually Seun should adopt something like this and incorporate his ads in it too.

eventually can even have a premium live chat section in the app if need be

possibilities are endless...

i'm not so good in programming yet, but my mind works like a computer in thinking and/or problem solving

i go bad wella when i don good for programming sha grin grin

only the small php i know sef with my little sql and javascript i can program a forum like this from scratch. at least i already know all i need to do. just implement/syntax thigs which i can always get

60:40 things

know how to solve the problem : implement the solution
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by abubaka101: 10:12pm On Jul 25, 2016
yorex2011:
Here's what i think
the top navigation tab should have followed topics, likes/shares, mentions, and trending

the sidebar should have the different forums (whic would be arranged based on the users followed boards) or have a default arrangement

the icon bar on the userprofile in the sidebar would have the users dp, then his signature beneath .

click would link to the account/edit profile activity

nairaland may not have a web api of sorts but you can be clever with Curl or something of sorts

eventually Seun should adopt something like this and incorporate his ads in it too.

eventually can even have a premium live chat section in the app if need be

possibilities are endless...

i'm not so good in programming yet, but my mind works like a computer in thinking and/or problem solving

i go bad wella when i don good for programming sha grin grin

only the small php i know sef with my little sql and javascript i can program a forum like this from scratch. at least i already know all i need to do. just implement/syntax thigs which i can always get

60:40 things

know how to solve the problem : implement the solution
Yh, den spend hundreds of hours debugging code, writing algorithms, understanding advanced concepts you need but don't yet know. Guy, you won't know until you spend your first 4 weeks debugging a code that "use to work well" but stopped.
And if Devil one wicked persin, you Google the problem but the only Stack Overflow question about it has had no reply in 5 years.
God programming is fun and annoying at the same time.
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by abubaka101: 10:21pm On Jul 25, 2016
gj22:
Yeah, a drawer is better than tabs.

Nice idea. But then what about the Sections? Where should they be kept/displayed? If you place a link in them in the drawer it could do the trick but not everybody would clearly see it.

Instead, I think the tabs should still be there so the user can swipe to see all the Nairaland sections and the top three sections already most viewed by the user.
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by gj22(m): 7:05am On Jul 26, 2016
abubaka101:

Yh, den spend hundreds of hours debugging code, writing algorithms, understanding advanced concepts you need but don't yet know. Guy, you won't know until you spend your first 4 weeks debugging a code that "use to work well" but stopped.
And if Devil one wicked persin, you Google the problem but the only Stack Overflow question about it has had no reply in 5 years.
God programming is fun and annoying at the same time.

Haha. I have spent 2 days on a code that "used to work well" . Very terrible experience.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by gj22(m): 7:16am On Jul 26, 2016
abubaka101:

Nice idea. But then what about the Sections? Where should they be kept/displayed? If you place a link in them in the drawer it could do the trick but not everybody would clearly see it.

Instead, I think the tabs should still be there so the user can swipe to see all the Nairaland sections and the top three sections already most viewed by the user.

Each section has a lot of subsections. I have put the sections as tabs in a forum drawer item menu in an update i am working on. Only problem is where to put the subsections.

Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 26, 2016
This navigation drawer is a very fantastic one.
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by Seun(m): 10:15pm On Jul 26, 2016
gj22:
Haha. I have spent 2 days on a code that "used to work well" . Very terrible experience.
There is a way you write code that makes it hazardous to modify it, and then there's the right way. We used to discuss this a lot on my team.
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by ClassCaptain(m): 11:06pm On Jul 26, 2016
Seun:
There is a way you write code that makes it hazardous to modify it, and then there's the right way. We used to discuss this a lot on my team.

saw ur hospital and patient script,,, its very very nice and original...

Plus u gats pay boys some cool money to flex this holiday oo.. Lol

am sorry , i dont even know why i did this sad
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by yunglary(m): 11:34pm On Jul 26, 2016
I would tell you that it is marvellous so i decided to make a nairaland app using your design, but am totally worst in designing things so please can you design the ui for how people read posts, thanks in advance. or is there copyright?
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by lordZOUGA(m): 12:18am On Jul 27, 2016
Seun:
There are multiple ways to write good code and multiple ways to write bad code.
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by lordZOUGA(m): 12:23am On Jul 27, 2016
yunglary:
I would tell you that it is marvellous so i decided to make a Nairaland app using your design, but am totally worst in designing things so please can you design the ui for how people read posts, thanks in advance. or is there copyright?
I am pleased you want to use the design but I think you should first of all confirm from Nairaland's CEO that you are allowed to make a Nairaland app before proceeding.
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by yunglary(m): 8:31am On Jul 27, 2016
lordZOUGA:

I am pleased you want to use the design but I think you should first of all confirm from Nairaland's CEO that you are allowed to make a Nairaland app before proceeding.
I already sent a mail to Seun about doing an unofficial app but he hasn't replied me yet buh i don't think unofficial apps needs permission
Re: Nairaland Homepage Concept UI. by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 27, 2016
izzit my siggy that is funny? i am proud of my nairaland title anytime mind you.
- proudly TROLL KING

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Programming With Arduino / Differences Between Testing And Debugging In Programming Of Software Application / Basics Of PHP Programming?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.