Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,519 members, 7,808,895 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:55 PM

Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW (24067 Views)

Buhari Requests N157.75bn To Hire Additional 350,000 Graduates - Presidency / ICT For Change - Huawei Partners FG For Training And Employment Opportunity / Budget 2016 Slashed From 500bn To 75bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Menzy86(m): 7:43pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

What's the difference between what we are spending and what other countries are spending on 1000MW. For 1125 MW, we are actually getting a good deal for our money.

The going rate for 1000MW is $1 billion.

Even the so called 22.500MW $22 billion largest damn you quoted = $1 billion per 1000 MW.

Do a little elementary arithmetic before spewing rubbish and even a little research before spewing ignorance on the internet. Hate and bitterness can not stop us.

if this was chess, this wld be checkmate

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by beadaholic(f): 7:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:
smh...

is it that we lack understanding or the will power to make effective change

For God sakes who builds a 1125 MW plant with $1.75 billion?

You guys may see it as progress, but damn how much do you really know about power generation, its not about the number of stations, rather the capacity. These plants will not be able to deliver up to 45% of their rated capacity to the Grid...

the largest dam in world was built at a cost of $22.5 billion and it generates 22,500 MW of electricity, spare me all the bullshit of littering the whole country with mini-power plants...

build something tangible, power generation is not rocket science all it takes is just some level of responsiveness to the plight of your people

this is how they will keep on taking us for granted, if we just take anything they bring to our table without us questioning them

so much for change...

Oga have you thought about the recent exchange rate factor? Just saying
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Reference(m): 7:53pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:
smh...

You guys may see it as progress, but damn how much do you really know about power generation, its not about the number of stations, rather the capacity. These plants will not be able to deliver up to 45% of their rated capacity to the Grid...

the largest dam in world was built at a cost of $22.5 billion and it generates 22,500 MW of electricity, spare me all the bullshit of littering the whole country with mini-power plants...

build something tangible, power generation is not rocket science all it takes is just some level of responsiveness to the plight of your people

this is how they will keep on taking us for granted, if we just take anything they bring to our table without us questioning them

so much for change...

The reasons are very simple, we don't make anything. You will be surprised that the local content on those projects will not exceed 3 percent. Even screws and pins will be imported because we don't make them. This makes things unaturally overly expensive in Nigeria. The 3% local content may as well be the Dangote cement in the concrete supports and speaking of Dangote, we can see what a good manufacturing output does to the economy and cost of things. Cement has remained rock stable in price despite the crushing inflation of the last one year and despite the fact that other construction components have almost doubled in prices.

There is no way out of economic depression if we donot make things. To compare the cost of building industrial infrastructure such as power, water and other works in China and Nigeria is just senseless. There is nothing in this country to make things cheap.

3 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by aresa: 7:59pm On Jul 22, 2016
musicwriter:

Thank you!.

I wanted to say something along this line when I saw your response.

China generated over 50,000 MW with about $300 Million and here we want to generate little with over $1 Billion!. If the FG give me just $10 Billion I'll solve Nigeria's electricity problem, cause I've discovered myself ''electricity generation is no rocket science'' as you said.

I've built a water powered electricity generator, the first in the history of the world. It's so simple I believe there's an eternal conspiracy to surpress the science by the electricity companies and the powers that control the system of things of this world.

Follow me cause I am going to post the technology here on Nairaland pretty soon.

This is not only a blatant lie, it defies logic and economics....

I was going to ask you to produce facts to back that up with, but I know you can not.

Too many loonies on NL I swear...

6 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by 1wolex85: 8:00pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:

Nah, not today, not now... I won't insult you, Your ignorance has done that to you already

If you could read effectively maybe you'd have had a better understanding of where am driving at

some countries have the luxury of experimenting with solar powered plants, others like Nigeria don't, we currently have an installed capacity of not more than 7,000MW. Instead of building small plants everywhere, why not build something large to generate what can supply the entire country for about 18 hours daily...

You can say all you want, but i won't stoop to your level of immaturity by trading insults... I'd rather trade opinions with you

Thanks

Oga, if only one large plant is built, it means we will have a single point of failure, besides have you considered the cost of transmitting the generated power to all parts of the country? I think I prefer this smaller cluster networks as it looks easier to manage.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by aresa: 8:03pm On Jul 22, 2016
1wolex85:

Oga, if only one large plant is built, it means we will have a single point of failure, besides have you considered the cost of transmitting the generated power to all parts of the country? I think I prefer this smaller cluster networks as it looks easier to manage.

I don't think he was trying to be sensible or contribute anything intelligent or rational with his ignorant and illogical post, he's post was based on the same hate, bitterness and and criticize by any means necessary regardless...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Izontubo(m): 8:15pm On Jul 22, 2016
Reference:

That's what I've been saying all along. The biggest economy in the world, the US has the second world war to thank for all its main manufactiring concerns. The third largest economy in the world, Japan was nuked in 1945, the fourth largest (if I'm not mistaken), Germany was turned to the largest stone quarry on earth by american, british and russian bombers. Why on earth can the black man, the Nigerian not profit from adversity. We are the only country in the world that has fought a civil war and gained nothing from it, rather retrogressing steadily since the war ended in 1971. Even Rwanda has changed for the better, unrecognizable. Why are certain sections so damned incensed, angry that free oil is going when it is the best thing to happen to this country when we all know it will soon run out or technology will overtake its appeal. Why do we resist the inevitable like a junkie resists his crack pipe being taken away......
why you get sense like this....your comment make sense die.... cheesy cool

The NDA in fact is giving us a chance to diversify our damn economy .......The FG needs to let go and embrace regionalism...
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by austentero: 8:16pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

Thanks for the info you provided.
It's a nice and welcome development.

What's the difference between what we are spending and what other countries are spending on 1000MW. For 1125 MW, we are actually getting a good deal for our money.

Even the so called 22.500MW $22 billion largest damn you quoted = $1 billion per 1000 MW.

Do a little elementary arithmetic before spewing rubbish and even a little research before spewing ignorance on the internet. Hate and bitterness can not stop us.

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 22, 2016
locutas:

I beg to differ. "Intellectual finishing" adds no positive value to the Power Sector discussion. The article states (and I quote verbatim)

"The Federal Government on Thursday in Abuja signed a Front-Runner Solar Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) worth 1.75 billion dollars with 14 companies to build 1125 Megawatts(MW) capacity of renewable power in the country."

The worth of a PPA does not directly translate to the cost of the Power Plant (or Plants in this case). The worth is typically the value of the revenue accruable from the tariff over the life of the PPA (typically 20 years). The article is misleading in my opinion; as is most information in the public space on the Power Sector.

The stated amount cannot be the value of the PPAs signed, and I am equally doubtful that it represents the full development cost of the Solar Plants (CAPEX, etc.).

Bro thanks for giving them that insight... A lot of guys have insulted n spat on what I said earlier on, I just look at their comment and I see why unemployment rate is xo high, imagine someone even said that 33kv is the best voltage for energy transmission

Truth is as long as these politicians use this party line politics to divide the Nigerian youths, this country will never progress... They don't understand how these things work in real life, that's why you see them call you ignorant even before they understand your point.

I still stand by what I said, that the true solution lies on mega power plants not small solar farms ...we need every power we can generate, but the government shouldn't stop at that, they should tackle this issue head on

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by michealidowu91(m): 8:21pm On Jul 22, 2016
Is solar durable for such grid transmiSsion.
Research is still on going in this field
I hope its not a wasted resources @ the end
We would we invest in other source such coal ,
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by brenister10: 8:30pm On Jul 22, 2016
nextstep:
"Ouch!"

That was the sound of me falling out of my tree from laughing so hard. $1.75billion, on solar for 1125MW. I'm a *huuuge* fan of solar, but this effort might do us more harm than not. Let me see if I can explain in between stifling my laughter.

First, we know that 1/2 the money will just be eaten, so we're down to $875 million

Second, our minister has not yet learned to successfully manage the hydro and thermal plants we have on ground successfully, but rather than fixing the problem (underperforming plants, woeful grid, and ne'er do well vandals), we're pouring money down the drain on new infrastructure. I know some towns whose transformers have blown for years now.

Third, does this involve huge banks of battery banks or are we only going to see electricity when the sun is shining?

Fourth, solar needs a good amount of maintenance (cleaning the panels regularly, battery replacement) to continue to work. I'm sure there's no money in this budget for maintenance or replacement. How do we dispose of (or recycle) all the used batteries? Are we just going to dump all that lead in our ground, every 2-3 years?

Fifth, show me a government-provided solar installation that worked after six months.

Sixth, have we trained anybody local to install and maintain? Or are we going to see rusted pieces of metal in about 1-2 years time?

Seventh, how are we going to pay for all this? Is it loan, bonds, or existing cash? Will tariffs rise 3x?

Anyways, good job, looking forward to seeing it work, now back up the mango tree I go.

You make sense my oga
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 8:37pm On Jul 22, 2016
dyn1800:
At least they will see a football match in 5 days grin cheesy grin

Put on your googles.cos this is about the be the funniest of coach in the nation's history a coach with a mind like a draught player,make them just enter field sumthin go happen ... watever happened to technocrats like Klinsmann or Diego Simeone who's looking for new experiences and fed up with athletico
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jul 22, 2016
Olabestonic001:

Stop saying things you don't really understand. Its better to generate and supply at 33KV with embedded powers of 8-1000KW. That will help us a lot. Someone have schooled you about the disadvantage of the large plant you're suggesting. Also, a large plant is susceptible to the whims of saboteurs.
Do you know that IKEDC does a lot of this embedded Power plants and you can see that power in their control has improved a lot.

Did you really mean the bolded?

In your quest to name me an ignorant fellow, you just ended up embarrassing your whole lineage with unguarded utterances ... Even a year 2 student knows that as long as you want to supply through the grid to distant load points, high voltage is preferred to reduce losses along the lines...

If large power plants are bad how come most advanced nations have at least one or two of power plants ranging from 5000MW above

Please don't try to play smart in a field you know nothing of, if we want to go solar or harvest winds with wind turbines, we should be serious about it and build a large one then transmit it via HVDC...

You guys are just annoying to say the least, ignorant people calling trying to make a point... Smh
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Bobbybabs(m): 8:38pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:

Bro thanks for giving them that insight... A lot of guys have insulted n spat on what I said earlier on, I just look at their comment and I see why unemployment rate is xo high, imagine someone even said that 33kv is the best voltage for energy transmission

Truth is as long as these politicians use this party line politics to divide the Nigerian youths, this country will never progress... They don't understand how these things work in real life, that's why you see them call you ignorant even before they understand your point.

I still stand by what I said, that the true solution lies on mega power plants not small solar farms ...we need every power we can generate, but the government shouldn't stop at that, they should tackle this issue head on
Don't mind them, all they do is come here to spew rubbish on issues they have no practical knowledge on. I myself don't know much about power generation. However I will definitely choose a plan of setting 10 mega plants all over the country to supply us a total of 50,000MW than having thousands of all these 100mw plants.
Common sense should tell you it is easier to track, maintain and grow these 10 mega plants I am sighting as an example. But everyone here is using the avengers situation as an excuse. So are you telling me now that the government can provide adequate security to important infrastructures in the country. If your answer is No than we are done. Nothing will ever be sustainable, it's only of matter of time before everything packs up.
All these mini power plants are not sustainable in the long run in terms of logistics and maintenance. Won't you rather have your engineers working together maintaining on one plant than moving from one village to another in different state tracking mini power plants.

1 Like

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Skmoda360(m): 8:53pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

1125 MW plant with $1.75 billion and $22.5 billion and it generates 22,500 MW = $1 Billion per 1000 MW = The same thing.

He did not nail anything, he exposed his ignorance and inability to do simple arithmetic, or maybe you yourself no sabi elementary arithmetic..
ok, i don't wanna argue but i know more than elementary arithmetic, oook once again.
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jul 22, 2016
Bobbybabs:

Don't mind them, all they do is come here to spew rubbish on issues they have no practical knowledge on. I myself don't know much about power generation. However I will definitely choose a plan of setting 10 mega plants all over the country to supply us a total of 50,000MW than having thousands of all these 100mw plants.
Common sense should tell you it is easier to track, maintain and grow these 10 mega plants I am sighting as an example. But everyone here is using the avengers situation as an excuse. So are you telling me now that the government can provide adequate security to important infrastructures in the country. If your answer is No than we are done. Nothing will ever be sustainable, it's only of matter of time before everything packs up.
All these mini power plants are not sustainable in the long run in terms of logistics and maintenance. Won't you rather have your engineers working together maintaining on one plant than moving from one village to another in different state tracking mini power plants.

You have said it all, I needn't say no more... Should you try to shade more light into something, you'll see people attacking you from left right and center , both those who just glanced through Wikipedia or one Ebook or the other, whatever they say still won't change the fact that our government is not responsive enough, they are several ways to generate power, why not invest massively in those means which have proven it's worth overtime

Hydro powered plants have efficiency of over 90% thermal plants ~35% solar and wind below 30% and besides if you've ever worked with solar panels you'll find out that they have a tolerance of about 10% and their efficiency reduces with time

Left us put square pegs in square holes and fix this nation, we can convert translational motion to rotational motion, so why not harness tidal waves like Brazil is already doing, let us do big things and later on focus on this luxuries

1 Like

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by ossowunmi(m): 9:10pm On Jul 22, 2016
shukuokukobambi:

chai!! cheesy cheesy cheesy

See what your desire not to see anything good happen in this country has done to you cheesy

So we should wait until your village elders help us contribute the money to build a 10,000MW plant before we start attempting to help our sorry power situation? abi you hide the billions of dollars needed inside an earthen ware pot in your village square? cheesy

Abeg jes kip kwayet there angry

Thank you for educating haters my brother. .

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by peacecoy: 9:12pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:
smh...

so much for change...
You claim to know so much but I will highlight some basic truth.1.solar energy projects are more expensive than other forms of similar capacity 2.solar energy plants usually come in relatively smaller capacity(technology constraints).The areas where these plants will sited .it is proven the plants will give <70% of rated capacity.Nigeria has advanced in solar power studies,research,pilot plants etc . Check out Unisokoto,ABTU & ABU.
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by aresa: 9:14pm On Jul 22, 2016
Bobbybabs:

1. These are solar panels with almost zero breakable moving engines and little or no maintenance, zero breakdowns and the fact that we have almost year round sunshine means solar has remains the best and cheapest option. They also take little time to complete. The worst is replacing solar damaged or broken panels which takes minutes to replace.

2. The hydro dams you are suggesting are labor intensive and their performance is based on water level, constant maintenance and repairs means shutdowns or reduced output.

Seems you enjoy disputing your own views with your own views..

A little education: Solar is sustainable and renewable energy.

5 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 22, 2016
supersystems:

Lol India South Korea closed their borders and learnt the hardway,when we break things down and do some reverse engineering yu'll be suprised we can do anything we wanna.Trust me,North Korea is a prime example.Did they put up bids for peoeple who can build solar panels and they didnt get.

Monocrystallite
Polycrystallite it's not hard.I've been understudying this in a while besides myself i've seen geniuses todoing well in mother land in this field bro

I hear you.

Here is the thing, economic strategy has to be set in context with the socio political climate. Nigeria is currently a very divided country and the poor economy is feeding these divisions. The countries you mention had/have hostile neighbours that ensure that the country is United enough to take the short term pain necessary to turn them into manufacturing nations. In Nigeria self interest comes first, then tribe, then region and possibly Nigeria if there is a football match.

It's sad but we are consigned to short term fixes because the population isn't prepared to a) trust ( with some justification and b) Take short term pain else this would be a moment of great opportunity.

You listen to the way tribalism and it's division work on this forum. It would take a brave leader to buck that trend. A leader fully prepared to lose the next election as a result.

It's not going to happen. Sad but reality.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jul 22, 2016
peacecoy:
You claim to know so much but I will highlight some basic truth.1.solar energy projects are more expensive than other forms of similar capacity 2.solar energy plants usually come in relatively smaller capacity(technology constraints).The areas where these plants will sited .it is proven the plants will give <70% of rated capacity.Nigeria has advanced in solar power studies,research,pilot plants etc . Check out Unisokoto,ABTU & ABU.

Mind you I never claimed I know so much, am a certified hybrid systems engineer both in training and practice, and am into power systems and power electronics now, am just telling you the little I know, if there's something you know that I don't, feel free to share, you don't need to make it seem like am competing with you... Thanks
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

i was about to reply that man, but you already did justice to his post. Circa 1 billion dollars is what some power distribution company spend per year just to maintain their power generation facilities. Fashola is doing his best with the little he has access to. kudos to him.
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Bobbybabs(m): 9:31pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

1. These are solar panels with almost zero breakable moving engines and little or no maintenance, zero breakdowns and the fact that we have almost year round sunshine means solar has remains the best and cheapest option. They also take little time to complete. The worst is replacing solar damaged or broken panels which takes minutes to replace.

2. The hydro dams you are suggesting are labor intensive and their performance is based on water level, constant maintenance and repairs means shutdowns or reduced output.

Please stop this ignorance, you are not helping yourself trust me.
The last time I checked I never stated the use use of hydro dams. All I said is pick what is best and build 10 mega power plants of lets say 5000mw each.

Lastly if you can process information well you should know that i clearly stated that all these 100mw mini power plants combined will be more expensive to sustain at the long run. And it is not just about solar plants.

I will still stand by what I said earlier, it is better to have 10 mega plants than having hundreds of mini plants all over the country. And please spare me the avengers excuse.

Is it not better providing full security for 10 mega plants than providing security for many mini plants.
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

Have you ever worked in a power plant before... You think it's just one generator unit they have,

You have no idea bro, you don't even know jack about power generation transmission nor distribution in this country, from your write ups one can easily tell you are quoting from PDFs

Lemme burst your bubble a bit, do you know that hydro powered plants are renewable energy sources Ohh you thought it's just solar and wind... Hydro plants are sustainable, they are what the whole national grid system relies on for black starting the grid, quit your game of playing the wise one here, just look at what Indian books have done to your life

Talking about solar powered plants, you think it's just the normal series and parallel connections they thought you back in school that they use in designing such systems, you think you just walk into the plant and replace any damage panel just like that without shutting down... Lol you must really be ignorant, time and energy will always be lost no matter the type of plant you operate as long as you have to carry out maintenance actions, so it's not just hydro plants it affects only... Mind you solar panels looses its efficiency as time goes by

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by GuyfawkesAB(m): 9:40pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:
What was I expecting from youths who only read PDFs and have never practiced shit

I feel sorry for your thought process though...

I don't need to prophesy, but it appears to me that you may not amount to much in this life and thereafter. After all the explanations that some posters have lent you, that even myself had learned a lot from, you are still arrogant and noisy, not ready to admit that your idea doesn't fit into current and future power programs.

A proud and arrogant person doesn't achieve much in life

4 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jul 22, 2016
nextstep:
"Ouch!"

That was the sound of me falling out of my tree from laughing so hard. $1.75billion, on solar for 1125MW. I'm a *huuuge* fan of solar, but this effort might do us more harm than not. Let me see if I can explain in between stifling my laughter.

First, we know that 1/2 the money will just be eaten, so we're down to $875 million

Second, our minister has not yet learned to successfully manage the hydro and thermal plants we have on ground successfully, but rather than fixing the problem (underperforming plants, woeful grid, and ne'er do well vandals), we're pouring money down the drain on new infrastructure. I know some towns whose transformers have blown for years now.

Third, does this involve huge banks of battery banks or are we only going to see electricity when the sun is shining?

Fourth, solar needs a good amount of maintenance (cleaning the panels regularly, battery replacement) to continue to work. I'm sure there's no money in this budget for maintenance or replacement. How do we dispose of (or recycle) all the used batteries? Are we just going to dump all that lead in our ground, every 2-3 years?

Fifth, show me a government-provided solar installation that worked after six months.

Sixth, have we trained anybody local to install and maintain? Or are we going to see rusted pieces of metal in about 1-2 years time?

Seventh, how are we going to pay for all this? Is it loan, bonds, or existing cash? Will tariffs rise 3x?

Anyways, good job, looking forward to seeing it work, now back up the mango tree I go.
If Solar was that bad, i dont think more countries would be investing into it.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by GuyfawkesAB(m): 9:46pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:

Mind you I never claimed I know so much, am a certified hybrid systems engineer both in training and practice, and am into power systems and power electronics now, am just telling you the little I know, if there's something you know that I don't, feel free to share, you don't need to make it seem like am competing with you... Thanks

A few more Dumbo engineers likes you and we will never ever come ut of our power troubles. With all you think you know, you are still not well informed. Your arrogant air also makes you act more duller than you really are

6 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
GuyfawkesAB:

I don't need to prophesy, but it appears to me that you may not amount to much in this life and thereafter. After all the explanations that some posters have lent you, that even myself had learned a lot from, you are still arrogant and noisy, not ready to admit that your idea doesn't fit into current and future power programs.

A proud and arrogant person doesn't achieve much in life

Thank you mr. Prophet, I'll let my God decide how I fare in life, it's not up to you, someone said to me when I lost my father at age 12, that I will not finish secondary school,that I'll drop out and learn welding... But today I have a B.eng and Msc. In view, am I deterred by your comment, answer is NO!!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by BABAODU: 9:56pm On Jul 22, 2016
I don't know why he won't just try and focus on the standard way of generating electricity, before going for alternative source, just another way to embezzle Nigeria money. All these new technologies requires good maintainance culture which we don't have as a nation.

Pls Mr Fashola, invest in big gas turbines, set up gas turbine farms in the areas that has aboundant natural gas that we are stupidly flaring up at the moment. That way we can generate electricity at cheaper rate and you can reduce tariff.
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by aresa: 10:02pm On Jul 22, 2016
Bobbybabs:

Please stop this ignorance, you are not helping yourself trust me.
The last time I checked I never stated the use use of hydro dams. All I said is pick what is best and build 10 mega power plants of lets say 5000mw each.
Lastly if you can process information well you should know that i clearly stated that all these 100mw mini power plants combined will be more expensive to sustain at the long run. And it is not just about solar plants.
I will still stand by what I said earlier, it is better to have 10 mega plants than having hundreds of mini plants all over the country. And please spare me the avengers excuse.
Is it not better providing full security for 10 mega plants than providing security for many mini plants.

About Dam, that was a mix up, I was going to reference the other poster.

To address your post.

10 Plants X 5000MW @ $1 Billion/1000MW = $50 Billion

Do you have $50 Billion or do you think Nigeria have N50 Billion?

You plan based on unique situations and available resources, not on fairy tales and what you can not do to sole your immediate problems..

Pakistan to build world’s Largest Solar part of 1000 MW generation

Entire solar park, with 1000 MW production ability is estimated to cost around US 1.5 billion dollars

http://germanystudy.net/pakistan-to-build-worlds-largest-solar-part-of-1000-mw-geneartion/

Here are some key highlights of Qaid-e-Azam Solar Park:

Overall capacity: 1,000 Mega Watts
Phase 1 Capacity: 100 MW
Completion of Phase 1: December 2014
Phase II Capacity: 300 MW
Phase III Capacity: 600 MW
Final Capacity: 1,000 MW
Completion of final phase: Dec 2016
Dedicated Area: 6500 Acres (Phase 1 Area: 500 Acres)
Boundary Wall: 9 KM
Annual solar Energy after final phase: 2,000 kWh/m2

Pakistan is building a collection 10/1000MW solar plants for almost the same amount we are spending so your point is kind of mute..

And about maintenance, this is just ridiculous, Solar is sustainable energy and requires little or no maintenance..

3 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by aresa: 10:07pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:

Have you ever worked in a power plant before... You think it's just one generator unit they have,

You have no idea bro, you don't even know jack about power generation transmission nor distribution in this country, from your write ups one can easily tell you are quoting from PDFs

Lemme burst your bubble a bit, do you know that hydro powered plants are renewable energy sources Ohh you thought it's just solar and wind... Hydro plants are sustainable, they are what the whole national grid system relies on for black starting the grid, quit your game of playing the wise one here, just look at what Indian books have done to your life

Talking about solar powered plants, you think it's just the normal series and parallel connections they thought you back in school that they use in designing such systems, you think you just walk into the plant and replace any damage panel just like that without shutting down... Lol you must really be ignorant, time and energy will always be lost no matter the type of plant you operate as long as you have to carry out maintenance actions, so it's not just hydro plants it affects only... Mind you solar panels looses its efficiency as time goes by

1. The fact that Hydro is renewable doesn't mean solar is not.

2. Solar is movable and easy to maintain

3. Solar is not prone to environmental and ecological damage

4. A busted dam means disastrous flooding and deaths..

3 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Onyemabright(m): 10:16pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

GOD bless my brother, That is money well spend

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

COVID-19: Abia Relaxes Lockdown, Work Resumes, Worship Centres, Markets To Open / Kemi Olunloyo: Twitter Obidient, Firstladyship Is A Man & Former SA To GEJ / Kaduna: Uba Sani Celebrates As Tribunal Affirms His Election As Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.