Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,717 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:24 PM

Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) (51310 Views)

The Message A Man Received From A Nigerian And An Argentinian Lady Over Culture / Gbebokedi Ajiroba Emerges King In Ondo State (Ex-Militant) / Police Station Built By David Okunato In Ondo State (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by ehikwe22: 1:13pm On Jul 23, 2016
vivaciousvivi:
The Akwa Ibom community unfortunately may not win this one. The body lies in Idanre and it won't be released. They should just let sleeping dogs lie, bury their kin and afterwards ensure the tree cutter is prosecuted. Its unfortunate that's what happens when you live in another man's land. You need to abide by the rules considering you are now a "2nd class citizen" of the State. Life happens. RIP Justina
When did the law of Idanre become supreme to the constitution of Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by saintdennis(m): 1:16pm On Jul 23, 2016
HungerBAD:
Rest in peace.

This is where culture and the modern time clash. It is sad,this is happening when the lady should be given the dignity of a proper burial.

The Idanre Community,cannot force a foreign corpse to be buried in their land.

And why do most of this dumb culture apply to only poor people?the community is saying the corpse can't leave,but protecting the tree cutter from prosecution.

Hopefully,this matter is settled quickly and the body released.

The Governor of Akwa Ibom and Senator Akpabio should intercede please.

When in Rome behave like Romans, when u visit a foreign land, u have to follow the rules of the community, if u don't like it then do not live in the community...go away

But I like that ur final paragraph and would add that a strong delegation(from both states) needs to go and find a way to appease the host community (idanre) gods so they can take the body away.

I can't fault either party. But home team usually have advantage

2 Likes

Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by jide114(m): 1:17pm On Jul 23, 2016
This is a sorry case. One comminuty should bend by recommending some rites to alllow the other community take the body for burial. Led us not into temptation but deliever us from evil.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 23, 2016
Layooluwa:

hahahaha!!cheesy, why are you angry? Nd crying?
angry at the silly tradition

Then i'm crying for the beautiful lady who left her family behind cry its really painful

1 Like

Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by love4rent80s: 1:20pm On Jul 23, 2016
Calabar people: u must marry dead body

Ondo people: u must bury person under tree

It makes no sense, if u died a sinner , it won't stop u from going to hell and if I died righteous, it doesn't stop u from ging to heaven...
All this useless tradition must stop.....
If u like marry all the dead body wey dey cemetery, that one no go make God throw u or her to hell or allow una enter heaven
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Bluette(f): 1:21pm On Jul 23, 2016
D case could be quite difficult to settle cos d man hasn't paid her bride price. And also, d differences between their cultures are so clear.

1 Like

Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jul 23, 2016
witorwitoutyou:
Mio ti e ka,na tragic story,e kan long join
grin grin ; grin
"Mio to e ka"
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Layooluwa(f): 1:23pm On Jul 23, 2016
Berlyn:
angry at the silly tradition

Then i'm crying for the beautiful lady who left her family behind cry its really painful

yes, it is very painfulsad. Nd the woman was pregnantcry

tho you know am angry with you shey sad?
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by AnonymX: 1:24pm On Jul 23, 2016
princechurchill:
been with a woman that you haven' paid her bride price is a risk not worth taking

What does that have to do with anything?
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jul 23, 2016
So pathetic. cry cry
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Bluette(f): 1:26pm On Jul 23, 2016
ehikwe22:

There's what we call customary laws.. Each community has its own laws governing it. But d akwa ibom husband can appeal to higher court of law if d judgement didn't favor dem.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by vivaciousvivi(f): 1:26pm On Jul 23, 2016
ehikwe22:
Where in the constitution of NIGERIA does it say you must be buried in your hometown after death?
The issue is that she should first be laid to rest. I am not from Idanre neither do I support either party. Life happens. Leaving her corpse in the humidity to openly rot is far worse. God bless her soul. The lady should be laid to rest and all this power struggle should just cease. They should focus attention more on the person who caused her death - even though not willfully. Period.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by cktheluckyman: 1:29pm On Jul 23, 2016
Bluette:

There's what we call customary laws.. Each community has its own laws governing it. But d akwa ibom husband can appeal to higher court of law if d judgement didn't favor dem.
Which stupid customary law? To force a man to bury his wife in your community!! How exactly do you people reason?
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by ehikwe22: 1:29pm On Jul 23, 2016
Bluette:

When they say customary law, you think customary laws put such customs into consideration? Do you know there are some customs that supports human sacrifices? Do you think customary laws will rule in favor of such barbaric and diabolic customs?

2 Likes

Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by collitexnaira(m): 1:30pm On Jul 23, 2016
amclimax:
may wetin I no get idea of kill me.... life is never fair...but not being fair to anybody makes it fair.... rip only Jah knows d real story

Oga you just cursed yourself ooh
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by ehikwe22: 1:32pm On Jul 23, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Where in the constitution of NIGERIA does it say you must be buried in your hometown after death?
The issue is that she should first be laid to rest. I am not from Idanre neither do I support either party. Life happens. Leaving her corpse in the humidity to openly rot is far worse. God bless her soul. The lady should be laid to rest and all this power struggle should just cease. They should focus attention more on the person who caused her death - even though not willfully. Period.
Asking such stupid question is like asking where it is in the Bible that one should not smoke or do drugs.

1 Like

Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by ehikwe22: 1:38pm On Jul 23, 2016
saintdennis:

When in Rome behave like Romans, when u visit a foreign land, u have to follow the rules of the community, if u don't like it then do not live in the community...go away

But I like that ur final paragraph and would add that a strong delegation(from both states) needs to go and find a way to appease the host community (idanre) gods so they can take the body away.

I can't fault either party. But home team usually have advantage
What stupid behave like the Romans? did she commit any crime ? someone just got murdered and The murderer is walking free and you're talking about some stupid customs. we're in 21st century and can't believe Nigerians are still supporting such diabolic customs.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by vivaciousvivi(f): 1:39pm On Jul 23, 2016
ehikwe22:
Asking such stupid question is like asking where it is in the Bible that one should not smoke or do drugs.
Responding to your own stupidity (considering you couldn't even answer) puts you in your place - that very deep, dark hole you initially crawled from. Cheers mate!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by ehikwe22: 1:43pm On Jul 23, 2016
vivaciousvivi:

Responding to your own stupidity (considering you couldn't even answer) puts you in your place - that very deep, dark hole you initially crawled from. Cheers mate!
I don't need to answer your stupid question. common sense should tell you that every Nigerian has rights and liberty alive and in death which is embedded in the Nigerian constitution.

1 Like

Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by vivaciousvivi(f): 1:52pm On Jul 23, 2016
ehikwe22:
I don't need to answer your stupid question. common sense should tell you that every Nigerian has rights and liberty alive and in death which is embedded in the Nigerian constitution.
Hahahaha...crawled out of the hole did he? Still tried (in vain) to answer the question did he? Now we are on to common sense - an attribute you so clearly lack. Run along dear. Got no time for your likes this pleasant afternoon. cheesy
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by christal101(m): 2:05pm On Jul 23, 2016
so sad
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by saintdennis(m): 2:05pm On Jul 23, 2016
ehikwe22:
What stupid behave like the Romans? did she commit any crime ? someone just got murdered and The murderer is walking free and you're talking about some stupid customs. we're in 21st century and can't believe Nigerians are still supporting such diabolic customs.

The murderer is seperate from this case...justice must be done in that regard abi community big pass govt?

I referenced only the corpse issue & I specifically put it there that if you don't like a custom LEAVE THE AREA FOR THEM! igbo man with him stubbornness haba.

I urge all other tribes to leave idanre if they don't like any part of their customs, if idanre people see the need for foreigners they will change their customs so u come back.

I didn't talk about the akwa ibom guys tradition which means he has to marry her corpse, or why he must take her home for burial! Because it's their tradition!

Have u finished reforming ALL the traditions of igboland b4 coming here to tag others. 'diabolical'? Mtcheeew
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Bluette(f): 2:08pm On Jul 23, 2016
cktheluckyman:

Which stupid customary law? To force a man to bury his wife in your community!! How exactly do you people reason?

Pls no need for insult.. u can make ur point clearly witout insulting anyone. I have seen so many cases like dat nd most tyms it alws favors d (ladys/wife) side, most especially wen d man hasn't paid for her bride price. But if he had paid.. I am telling u dey won't even d drag d case with d man n if dey did, d man will win d case. Except if d family does not want the woman to Marry d man from d start then there cud be problem. Thank u.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by ehikwe22: 2:22pm On Jul 23, 2016
saintdennis:

The murderer is seperate from this case...justice must be done in that regard abi community big pass govt?

I referenced only the corpse issue & I specifically put it there that if you don't like a custom LEAVE THE AREA FOR THEM! igbo man with him stubbornness haba.

I urge all other tribes to leave idanre if they don't like any part of their customs, if idanre people see the need for foreigners they will change their customs so u come back.

I didn't talk about the akwa ibom guys tradition which means he has to marry her corpse, or why he must take her home for burial! Because it's their tradition!

Have u finished reforming ALL the traditions of igboland b4 coming here to tag others. 'diabolical'? Mtcheeew
Who the hell told you I'm Igbo. Yes Igbos have some barbaric customs like the Osu slavery and some others, but I'm not igbo. I don't see much wrong in asking someone to marry a corpse because it discourage wife stealing and there's always an exception to it as in this case, they're not asking the guy to marry the corpse. In the olden days this is what causes communal clashes but we're not living in such medieval times. We have few things we forbid in my hometown but nobody keeps those things now both indigene and strangers, but that does not mean I wouldn't keep other villages laws if I find myself in such places where they keep their ancient laws. If it's something too hard to keep and I can't do without it, I'll leave that place except I'm on a very essential duty there where I'm needed there, then in that case I would get ready for the consequences before doing it. if I'm caught, I'll beg and plea for leniency on the fine. But in this case, this woman is innocent, she's a victim. This is a very wrong tradition that needs to be scrapped. The government needs to help put an end to this kind of nonsense tradition that doesn't have any obvious benefit to humanity.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jul 23, 2016
vivaciousvivi:
The Akwa Ibom community unfortunately may not win this one. The body lies in Idanre and it won't be released. They should just let sleeping dogs lie, bury their kin and afterwards ensure the tree cutter is prosecuted. Its unfortunate that's what happens when you live in another man's land. You need to abide by the rules considering you are now a "2nd class citizen" of the State. Life happens. RIP Justina
I beg to differ here. Are the customs of Idanre people stronger than the constitution of Nigeria? I'd like you to shed more light on their "second class status".
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Bluette(f): 2:34pm On Jul 23, 2016
ehikwe22:
When they say customary law, you think customary laws put such customs into consideration? Do you know there are some customs that supports human sacrifices? Do you think customary laws will rule in favor of such barbaric and diabolic customs?

Human sacrifices and killing of another human is an offense against the state that's crime. I am also asking myself why the policemen released d tree cutter. I want him to be prosecuted. But concerning d wifes burial, dats a different issue.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Horpeyemi93(m): 2:39pm On Jul 23, 2016
[quote author=Zehner post=47811694]O God! Can they just bury her already.....Take the corpse to her family and let them do the needful.

RIP. TWO PEOPLE GONE. so sad. :'. Am not from Ondo state but u must abide by d culture of ur host community,for instance If someone die in a beach or River @ Lagos state they normally tell the family to bury such corpse @ the bay of d River jst to avert such re_Occourance .so how do we go about this?
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by saintdennis(m): 2:46pm On Jul 23, 2016
ehikwe22:
Who the hell told you I'm Igbo. Yes Igbos have some barbaric customs like the Osu slavery and some others, but I'm not igbo. I don't see much wrong in asking someone to marry a corpse because it discourage wife stealing and there's always an exception to it as in this case, they're not asking the guy to marry the corpse. In the olden days this is what causes communal clashes but we're not living in such medieval times. We have few things we forbid in my hometown but nobody keeps those things now both indigene and strangers, but that does not mean I wouldn't keep other villages laws if I find myself in such places where they keep their ancient laws. If it's something too hard to keep and I can't do without it, I'll leave that place except I'm on a very essential duty there where I'm needed there, then in that case I would get ready for the consequences before doing it. if I'm caught, I'll beg and plea for leniency on the fine. But in this case, this woman is innocent, she's a victim. This is a very wrong tradition that needs to be scrapped. The government needs to help put an end to this kind of nonsense tradition that doesn't have any obvious benefit to humanity.

Mr ehikwe what tribe are u?

Per the bolded, you've driven home my point.

As for the tradition tell the akwa ibom people, deltan, and igbo people infact most southern traditions to scrap their tradition of insisting indigenes be buried home and not in foreign lands. @least that will settle this case.

After they scrap the tradition then idanre people will scrap this one. Thank you.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by habsydiamond(m): 2:56pm On Jul 23, 2016
Which kind of custom and tradition is this? Why can't they let the dead rest in peace by allowing the family to give her a proper burial. Some custom and tradition needs revisiting.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jul 23, 2016
Just wondering how both tradition die-hard sides were okay with having babies without a marriage in the first place.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by Omonigeriarere: 3:06pm On Jul 23, 2016
HungerBAD:
Rest in peace.

This is where culture and the modern time clash. It is sad,this is happening when the lady should be given the dignity of a proper burial.

The Idanre Community,cannot force a foreign corpse to be buried in their land.

And why do most of this dumb culture apply to only poor people?the community is saying the corpse can't leave,but protecting the tree cutter from prosecution.

Hopefully,this matter is settled quickly and the body released.

The Governor of Akwa Ibom and Senator Akpabio should intercede please.

Both are fighting to protect their cultures: ignorance of law/tradition of host cannot be an excuse.

Besides, this might affect the peace of other Akwa Ibomites who might have invested heavily in the host community.

They should let the sleeping dog lies.
Re: Death By Fallen Tree: Pregnant Woman Rots In Ondo Mortuary Over Culture (photo) by delishpot: 3:20pm On Jul 23, 2016
And people wonder why some villagers turn to foreign religions? What kind of stupid custom is this? Some gods sure do put their people in bondage and the people are proud to be tied and fettered by their gods. Tufiakwa. If say Na custom wey make sense, dem for Don mourn her and burry her and her poor unborn baby by now. Shiooorrr.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Begins Plan To Take Another Wife, 24 Hours After Marrying New Wife / Where Was Africa When The World Was Developing ? / The Origin Of Urhobo People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.