Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,047 members, 7,799,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 12:32 AM

Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. (1812 Views)

HND /BSC Dichotomy ... / Vacancies At Citydrive Taxi For Ond, Hnd, Bsc, Nce (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by KennyAyodeji(f): 10:08pm On Jul 24, 2016
HND/BSc Dichotomy Removed.

At last, it is with excitement, capital joy amidst jubilation and celebration of over 20 years struggle of Nigerian Polytechnic students and graduates including the staff unions and heads of Polytechnic in Nigeria.

I am pleased to announce to the public that the COUNCIL OF ESTABLISHMENT which comprises of all the head of service of the 36 States of the Federation and the head of service of the Federation approved the removal of this long overdue dichotomy which hinder the career progression of HND holders in civil service in her meeting held in Minna Niger state capital during the week after an exhaustive deliberation, pro and anti deposition which ended with tie vote of 16 against 16 while the head of service of the Federation voted in support as presiding officer after the tie, to earn the Polytechnic sector the victory.

Making the vote 17 pro against 16 anti. Henceforth, This resolution automatically lift embargo on HND holder career progression in civil service as the holder can now rise beyond Deputy Director in civil service as well enjoy all sort of benefits/promotion to the topmost rank due to BSc holders in civil service.

It is on record that this same Council was the sole obstacle for this struggle since year 2005 when President Olusegun Obasanjo pronounced the removal of this dichotomy, the Council called the then president statement a mere pronouncement with out documentation and refused it adoption nor implementation.

It will be recalled that the last meeting of the council which was held at Ilorin kwara state capital witness heavy presence of Nigeria Polytechnic students which I personally led as the National Senate President of NAPS to the council in protest for the need for the council to reconsider her position on the said matter.

A position paper was submitted after the protest as demanded by the then head of service of Federation who was the chairman of the Council, unfortunately, the matter was completely discussed nor concluded at Ilorin until now in her next meeting in Niger state.

The Council often meets every 3 years, On behalf of the entire West Africa Polytechnic students and most especially the Nigeria Polytechnic students, I express sincere gratitude to the head of service of states and that of the Federation who stood for us and with us, the Federal Ministry of Education, the National Board for Technical Education NTBE, Council of Head of Polytechnic and Colleges of Technology COHEADS, Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic ASUP, past and present leadership of National Association Of Polytechnic Students NAPS and by extension the Nigerians Union of journalist for their support all through the struggle.

We look forward for immediate implementation by all state of the Federation, Federal government agencies and departments while I call on all Polytechnic student to join us as we Commence appreciation/celebration.

Aluta continua, Victoria Ascerta,
No retreat no surrender,
As long as we live, struggle continues.

Amb S A Lukman #AIG
Immediate past Senate President NAPS, Outgoing Regional President WAPSU
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by KennyAyodeji(f): 10:22pm On Jul 24, 2016
BREAKING NEWS!!!
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by guiddoti: 10:42pm On Jul 24, 2016
sai baba! grin embarassed
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by nextofkeen: 10:46pm On Jul 24, 2016
victorious at last
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by chyna4luv: 10:46pm On Jul 24, 2016
KennyAyodeji:
HND/BSc Dichotomy Removed.

At last, it is with excitement, capital joy amidst jubilation and celebration of over 20 years struggle of Nigerian Polytechnic students and graduates including the staff unions and heads of Polytechnic in Nigeria.

I am pleased to announce to the public that the COUNCIL OF ESTABLISHMENT which comprises of all the head of service of the 36 States of the Federation and the head of service of the Federation approved the removal of this long overdue dichotomy which hinder the career progression of HND holders in civil service in her meeting held in Minna Niger state capital during the week after an exhaustive deliberation, pro and anti deposition which ended with tie vote of 16 against 16 while the head of service of the Federation voted in support as presiding officer after the tie, to earn the Polytechnic sector the victory.

Making the vote 17 pro against 16 anti. Henceforth, This resolution automatically lift embargo on HND holder career progression in civil service as the holder can now rise beyond Deputy Director in civil service as well enjoy all sort of benefits/promotion to the topmost rank due to BSc holders in civil service.

It is on record that this same Council was the sole obstacle for this struggle since year 2005 when President Olusegun Obasanjo pronounced the removal of this dichotomy, the Council called the then president statement a mere pronouncement with out documentation and refused it adoption nor implementation.

It will be recalled that the last meeting of the council which was held at Ilorin kwara state capital witness heavy presence of Nigeria Polytechnic students which I personally led as the National Senate President of NAPS to the council in protest for the need for the council to reconsider her position on the said matter.

A position paper was submitted after the protest as demanded by the then head of service of Federation who was the chairman of the Council, unfortunately, the matter was completely discussed nor concluded at Ilorin until now in her next meeting in Niger state.

The Council often meets every 3 years, On behalf of the entire West Africa Polytechnic students and most especially the Nigeria Polytechnic students, I express sincere gratitude to the head of service of states and that of the Federation who stood for us and with us, the Federal Ministry of Education, the National Board for Technical Education NTBE, Council of Head of Polytechnic and Colleges of Technology COHEADS, Academic Staff Union of Polytechnic ASUP, past and present leadership of National Association Of Polytechnic Students NAPS and by extension the Nigerians Union of journalist for their support all through the struggle.

We look forward for immediate implementation by all state of the Federation, Federal government agencies and departments while I call on all Polytechnic student to join us as we Commence appreciation/celebration.

Aluta continua, Victoria Ascerta,
No retreat no surrender,
As long as we live, struggle continues.

Amb S A Lukman #AIG
Immediate past Senate President NAPS, Outgoing Regional President WAPSU

Well, this is cool. I pray it works, because this has been on ground before I gained admission to Poly. But it can't affect banking industry now or will it?

HNDs have suffered discrimination so much from their peers and offices, more importantly, Banking industry. I hope one day banking work will be a forgotten thing in my life.

Meanwhile, op please what is your source?

Regards,

Chyna.

1 Like

Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by Naturallyme: 12:09am On Jul 25, 2016
Then HND curriculum should be reviewed or they adopt that of university. But honestly engineering is not engineering technology
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by chyna4luv: 6:42am On Jul 25, 2016
Naturallyme:
Then HND curriculum should be reviewed or they adopt that of university. But honestly engineering is not engineering technology

Reviewing curriculum or adopting that of university is not the solution here. The dichotomy should be removed, because HND go for NYSC with Bsc. so why the embargo? common sense!

What is engineering technology again? engineering whether you obtain the certificate from university or Polytechnic is same. Most engineering firms prefers hiring HND engineering graduates to BSc because in poly, it more of practical.

This also applicable to NCE graduates, they are easily sourced for teaching jobs than university because basically is on pure teaching practice.

For me to obtain my HND in Banking and Finance, I spent four years plus one year thorough industrial training in a financial institution while Bsc is just four years and yet there is dichotomy. Even the Bscs and HNDs, how many of them are gainfully employed?

God help us.

Regards.

Chyna.
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by EFGH: 7:01am On Jul 25, 2016
Source pls
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by connectikut89(m): 7:03am On Jul 25, 2016
Will they also change their names from Polytechnics to Unversities and start awarding degrees instead of diplomas

Will an HND student now proceed directly to do his/her masters like the BSc grad or still go through the PGD route?

Will an HND grad still be called a Technologist after his COREN certification instead of an Engineer like his BEng friends?

These are some of the many pertinent questions we need to ask

If you ask me, i'd say Universities >>> Polytechnics cos I've tasted both worlds from two of the best federal institutions in this country of ours. Whoever has had such opportunity will tell you same.

It doesn't change the fact that our standard of education is abysmally low tho.
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by Osunnyt(m): 8:11am On Jul 25, 2016
Well,if this is true then it's a welcome development. I graduated from Kwara state polytechnic, Ilorin,but the truth of the matter is there are lot of things that need to be changed in Nigeria polytechnic. The curriculum needs to be upgraded,collection and buying of HND form after a year I.T. should be cancelled,Lecturers with high profile should be employed. I think these will go a long to help our polytechnics.
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by KennyAyodeji(f): 9:22am On Jul 25, 2016
Google it. It real! But google to confirm
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by KennyAyodeji(f): 10:36am On Jul 25, 2016
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by Naturallyme: 12:15pm On Jul 25, 2016
Very obvious you know nothing about engineering/ education. I cannot argue with a dumb like you. Go to advanced countries. What we call engineering here is engineering is engineering technology. All you people are concerned about is money, salary and wages. Just to put everyone in the same pedestal. Even if abolished, organisations will still act it. I have passed through the two systems and know the difference. I can bet you that a lot of theories you be have not heard about are existing in your field as poly student but curriculum does not cover it. I know what am saying dude. Most companies employ poly graduate because they don't major in design. Poly graduates are cheap too and they have limited knowledge, hence their cheap worth.
chyna4luv:

Reviewing curriculum or adopting that of university is not the solution here. The dichotomy should be removed, because HND go for NYSC with Bsc. so why the embargo? common sense!

What is engineering technology again? engineering whether you obtain the certificate from university or Polytechnic is same. Most engineering firms prefers hiring HND engineering graduates to BSc because in poly, it more of practical.

This also applicable to NCE graduates, they are easily sourced for teaching jobs than university because basically is on pure teaching practice.

For me to obtain my HND in Banking and Finance, I spent four years plus one year thorough industrial training in a financial institution while Bsc is just four years and yet there is dichotomy. Even the Bscs and HNDs, how many of them are gainfully employed?

God help us.

Regards.

Chyna.
Re: Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed. by demolinka(m): 12:44pm On Jul 25, 2016
Why not just change their certificates to B.Tech instead of the outdated HND tag The dichotomy doesn't even make sense; wetin we dey learn for Nigerian tertiary institutions?!

(1) (Reply)

ICSL Interview For Transaction Officer / Good Morning,n-health Beneficiaries,everything Working Okay Out There? #npowerng / Gm Global Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.