Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,364 members, 7,808,270 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:40 AM

Sierra Leone Discovers Oil - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sierra Leone Discovers Oil (2089 Views)

Ebola Victims Arrives Lagos From Sierra Loen, People Scampered. / India, Nigeria's Biggest Consumer, Discovers Oil / Nigeria Secret Service Discovers Wired Bomb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by Beaf: 12:25am On Sep 17, 2009
Very soon Nigeria will move from sleeping giant to dead giant. Our sole claim to glory, oil is being discovered like water across W.Africa.

'Oil discovered' off Sierra Leone 

A recent oil discovery off Ghana sparked huge optimism in the region
A US oil firm has announced the discovery of a deepwater oil well off the coast of Sierra Leone.

Anadarko Petroleum Corporation said it confirmed the existence of an "active petroleum system" in the Sierra Leone-Liberian basin.

Two years ago, oil was discovered off Ghana by the same drillers.

Sierra Leone is one of the poorest countries in the world and still faces the challenge of reconstruction after a brutal civil war which ended in 2002.

The country is also rich in diamonds and other minerals, but the trade in illicit gems, known as "blood diamonds" for their role in funding conflicts, perpetuated the civil war.

Anadarko Petroleum said the new well - called Venus - is one of more than 30 identified prospects across 10 blocks offshore of Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast and Ghana.

"We are optimistic that the continued success of our West African Cretaceous program will create substantial value for our stakeholders as well as the people of West Africa through continued investment and increased activity," said Bob Daniels, Andarko vice-president.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8259335.stm
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by sjeezy8: 12:26am On Sep 17, 2009
they shouldn't make the same mistake twice
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by udezue(m): 1:41am On Sep 17, 2009
make em discover oil n more countries jare
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by babapupa: 1:50am On Sep 17, 2009
There's oil all over the coast of Africa, it's just a matter of time before the rest of Africa discover theirs,

Beaf, abeg go look for better news and quit wasting my time jare,
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by Beaf: 2:25am On Sep 17, 2009
udezue:

make em discover oil n more countries jare

I second that.
I also hope that as oil is discovered elsewherein abundance, so ours should dry up as quickly as possible. That is the only way we will ever come to our senses.
I can bet you that in the next 5 years, Ghana will solidly be the power in West Africa, with countries like Sierra Leone not far behind. We will soon be asking Sierra Leone for permission or aid to do things.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by Kobojunkie: 2:29am On Sep 17, 2009
Soon, the world will not care if Nigeria chooses to blow itself up. OH GOSH!!! This is bad news oo!!! Roflmap!!
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by ezeagu(m): 2:34am On Sep 17, 2009
May God guide them and have mercy on them, oil can easily turn into a curse, we all know from first hand experience. Congratulations anyway if it's true.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by babapupa: 3:09am On Sep 17, 2009
so ours should dry up as quickly as possible.

lol,

we never even discover or touch a quarter of our reserve.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by ezeagu(m): 3:14am On Sep 17, 2009
babapupa:

lol,

we never even discover or touch a quarter of our reserve.

The may alternative energy rise up and smash oil dependency (which I doubt grin).
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by udezue(m): 3:15am On Sep 17, 2009
Beaf, my brotha I pray it dries up jare so then we'll know who and who is naija for real.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by ezeagu(m): 3:17am On Sep 17, 2009
udezue:

Beaf, my brotha I pray it dries up jare so then we'll know who and who is naija for real.

Better yet, let's hope there's oil in the Chad Basin. . . . .
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by udezue(m): 3:21am On Sep 17, 2009
Can they discover it all over Arewa? Chaiiii I go thank God so they can just go.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by Beaf: 3:30am On Sep 17, 2009
ezeagu:

Better yet, let's hope there's oil in the Chad Basin. . . . .

udezue:

Can they discover it all over Arewa? Chaiiii I go thank God so they can just go.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Specifically in Emir of Sokoto's palace! . . .The very next day 9ja will cease to exist. Let them have oil fountains. Then we can have peace.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by udezue(m): 3:36am On Sep 17, 2009
lol^^^^^^^ Islamic Fountain of Oil.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by babapupa: 3:57am On Sep 17, 2009
The may alternative energy rise up and smash oil dependency

Good thinking grin

No doubt, green is the way to go. Unfortunately, there's so much dollars and Infrastructure Investment around oil and gas exploration to make green energy look like pipe dream for decades to come.

Long Live Crude Oil

Long Live Bonny Light

grin
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by puskin: 6:06am On Sep 17, 2009
Oil in Sierra Leone!!
OMG.
More problems 4 Naija
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by udezue(m): 6:12am On Sep 17, 2009
Naw time for Nigeria to wake up
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by hollandis(f): 6:45am On Sep 17, 2009
Great news for freetown.I was there many years back and didn't like what I saw.I pray this oil liberates them from poverty.Apart from the domination by the greedy labenese in their own land,Sierraleoneans are law abiding ,peaceful and not a trace of corruption can be found in them.However with the discovery of ,oil this is bound to change.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by back2back(f): 7:05am On Sep 17, 2009
Great news for freetown.I was there many years back and didn't like what I saw.I pray this oil liberates them from poverty.Apart from the domination by the greedy labenese in their own land,Sierraleoneans are law abiding ,peaceful and not a trace of corruption can be found in them.However with the discovery of ,oil this is bound to change.

well said.

I welcome Sierra Leone to club of oil rich but poor countries
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by dayokanu(m): 7:08am On Sep 17, 2009
Mukina2 time to go home
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by blacksta(m): 7:10am On Sep 17, 2009
Oil boom In Africa = Rent Seeking

Cause for concern.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by Nobody: 7:14am On Sep 17, 2009
98% of Africans are a bunch of lazy, cowardly and violent set of people; they like the easy way out. They think that the easiest way to develop and have a good life is to have oil. Unfortunately, their wickedness and corrupt lives had never allowed them make good use of the oil. e.g the "giant" of Africa.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by hollandis(f): 7:15am On Sep 17, 2009
back2back:

well said.

I welcome Sierra Leone to club of oil rich but poor countries

Can't the nationalities of other oil- producing African country be as rich as Angola and Libya,or is poverty necessary for the corrupt to survive?
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by Nobody: 7:18am On Sep 17, 2009
hollandis:

I would have agreed with you if I dont have a bunch of sierra leonean friends who usually tell me the real situation on ground. undecided
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by hollandis(f): 7:20am On Sep 17, 2009
dayokanu:

Mukina2 time to go home
but there is oil in Nigeria  abi?how come foreign embassies are jam packed and there is great emigration and mass exodus from Nigeria,whether by hook or crook?
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by hollandis(f): 7:26am On Sep 17, 2009
nuzo:

I would have agreed with you if I dont have a bunch of sierra leonean friends who usually tell me the real situation on ground. undecided
Maybe there is a widening gap between the rich and the poor ,but the tendency to be greedy ,cheat on your neighbour or be a participant of greed and corruption is virtually non existent amongst sierra leonans.I dont know about the government but koroma is a crusader of peace and honesty.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by Nobody: 9:44am On Sep 17, 2009
hollandis:

Maybe there is a widening gap between the rich and the poor ,but the tendency to be greedy ,cheat on your neighbour or be a participant of greed and corruption is virtually non existent amongst sierra leonans.I dont know about the government but koroma is a crusader of peace and honesty.

What causes the widening gap between the rich and the poor?

Did you hear of the massive corruption in their power sector spearheaded by their president?
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by mukina2: 1:11pm On Sep 17, 2009
ewoooooo shocked

No God no please let it not be true sad

very worrying news cry
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by naijaway(m): 3:40pm On Sep 17, 2009
Kudos
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by 9ijaprince(m): 4:19pm On Sep 17, 2009
Thats the begining of problems for them. But wait! The name of that company sounds like our attorney general .(laughs)
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by Nobody: 4:20pm On Sep 17, 2009
well, not a bad thing if it will reduce dependence on Nigerian oil.
Re: Sierra Leone Discovers Oil by Goldmind1(m): 5:44pm On Sep 17, 2009
Nigeria a good 4 nothing country!

(1) (2) (Reply)

David 'misadventure' Mark And The Shooting Of Lawrence Onoja / London “kpeke” Business / Senator Abe; Time To Unbundle Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.