Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,013 members, 7,806,949 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:43 AM

Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa (151554 Views)

How to Interprete Dreams (A Basic Introduction For Christians) / Who Can Help To Interprete This Dream? / Ifá Religion: What Is Ifá? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 5:33am On Jul 25, 2016
There are sixteen major Odu ('books') in the Odù Ifá literary corpus. When combined there are total of 256 Odu to solve all problems, situations, circumstances, actions and consequences in life based on the uncountable ese (poetic recitations) attached to the 256 Odu coding. These form the basis of Ifa traditional spiritual knowledge and are the foundation of all Yoruba divination systems.

Where I is an odd count or a "heads" result, and II is an even count or a "tails" result, the sixteen basic patterns and their Yoruba names are set forth in the sidebar.

(Please note this is only one way of ordering them, this changes depending on area within Nigeria, or the diaspora. An alternative order used in Ibadan, and Cuba is: Ejiogbe, Oyekun meji, Iwori Meji, Idi Meji, Irosun Meji, Oworin Meji, Obara Meji, Okanran Meji, Ogunda Meji, Osa Meji, Ika Meji, Oturupon Meji, Otura Meji, Irete Meji, Oshe Meji, Ofun Meji. Heepa Odu! This is important to note as it changes the outcomes of certain parts of the reading).

The babalawo recites a series of poems with proverbs and stories from the Ifa poetry that go with that choice. The final interpretation is made by the person seeking guidance, who decides how the verses that the babalawo has recited should be applied to the problem at hand.

(This may be one style, however other schools of thought with Ifa have the Diviner interpreting what Ifa says and not simply chanting and leaving it to the client)

Ifa poetry is not written down but passed down orally from one babalawo to another. Today, there are many texts that are designed to help Babalawos to learn and retain the huge corpus of knowledge.

Initiation into Ifa requires rigorous study. An aspiring Babalawo must learn AT LEAST four verses from each of the 256 chapters (Odu) of Ifa. The minimum of four verses will of necessity include ebos and ooguns (medicine) that are embedded and relevant to each of the verses, plus other issues that complement divination.

An accomplished Babalawo must know about ten verses of each of the 256 chapters of Ifa (256 Odu Ifa). Regardless of gender, whoever aspires to practice Ifa must have this qualification. In essence, Ifa practice does not preclude a woman provided such woman acquires the required qualification.

A special Orisa can only be received by a Babalawo who decides to perform the special initiation that will allow him access to Odu. In essence, initiation into
Ifa is the first step towards initiation into Odu. A woman cannot be initiated into Odu.

Thank you for reading, drop your comments

www.babalawoweb.com

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by AxeurdaddyIX: 6:13am On Jul 25, 2016
Noted
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by summerflame(m): 7:50am On Jul 25, 2016
Aboru Aboye nile IFA, babalawo da fun ikin.. omo ofusa ni mi n'ile ifa
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 4:19am On Jul 26, 2016
summerflame:
Aboru Aboye nile IFA, babalawo da fun ikin.. omo ofusa ni mi n'ile ifa

Òrúnmìlà Eleri - ipin ibikeji Olodumare. A - je - je - ogun obiriti - a - p'ijo - iku sa. Oluwa mi amoimotan - a ko mo o tan ko se. A ba mo o tan iba se ke. Oluwa mi Olowa aiyere omo Elesin Ile - Oyin. Omo ol'ope kan t'o s'an an dogi - dogi. Oluwa mi opoki a - mu - ide - s'oju ekan ko je k'ehun hora asaka - saka akun. Òrúnmìlà a boru, Òrúnmìlà a boye, Òrúnmìlà a bosise. Ase

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 12:27pm On Jul 26, 2016
Let me start today by teaching Èjì Ogbè

Èjì Ogbè (Baba Ifa) symbolizes all that is known and unknown in the universe. It is an image of all the forces that create the day. The white hole- The light.

Eji Ogbe is the sign of life. A vigorous awakening

Eji Ogbe rules the head---facing east

Physical Element = Water... Water takes precedence of all other Elements. It is recognized as the "Father of the Elements."

Physical body element = Brains and nerves

Children would be disposed to be travelers, pioneers, sailors or heads of organizations

This odu denotes plenty of good and plenty of "evil." Eji Ogbe speaks of the positive and negative forces that permeate the earth. This odu explains that both good and bad aspects of life are interconnected in fulfilling our destiny.

One translation of Eji Ogbe is "eji n mo gbe n go gbe enikan" (I support the positive and negative dimensions of every issue in life).

Every positive thing must be counterbalanced by an equal negative. This is why although we all aspire to be within the energy of EjiOgbe, we must do ebo to protect us from the negative.

Eji Ogbe expresses a need to acquire wisdom and humility. Represent high ethical standards which will be rewared with enlightenment and abundance. Time heals the pain of any matter.

We have cut off our own head to make us grow, like the banana tree. The hands belong to the body, the feet belong to the body. Victory over enemies, spiritual awakenings, long life, and peace of mind.

Eji Ogbe alerts us to the importance of medicines (akose) and incantations (ofo). There are positive ofo - ofo rere or ogede, and negative - asaan.

Herbal concoctions that may also include other elements - animal or mineral, etc., are used in conjunction with the power of the word, ofo ase, to cure illnesses, control natural phenomena, etc.

Incantations are powerful and the awo must protect herself. There are several classes of protection. The following is an incantation fro protection from negative kickback:

Ofu la a pasan

Arabamu la ape ogede

A dia fun Orunmila

Nijo t'iku ohun arun nkan 'le baba ni lilo

Orunmila ni bo ba se pe bi ise ti omo tohun ba ni

Odundun ni ki ibi o ma lee dun nile e mi

Ko ma lee dun lara a mi

Tete lo ni ki ibi o ma lee te ile e mi

Ko ma lee te ona mi

Ibi tutu la a ba rinrin

Ero pese ni tigbin

Igbin o nile olojo o wo

EjiOgbe, gbe ibi kuro lori i mi!

Gbede ni ide igba olorii!

ase

Ofu is the name of asaan (negative incantation)

arabamu is the name we call ogede (positive incantation)

They were the ones who performed Ifa divination for Orunmila

When death and disease besieged his house

All evil forces lurked around his house

Orunmila said if it was for him and his children

Odundun says the evil should not be in my house

And should not come near my body

Tete has said that no evil should befall my house

And that no evil should befall my body

Rinrin is seen only in a cool place

Snail is always cool

Snail has no house where evil forces can enter

Eji Ogbe remove evil from me!

Shea butter container is always at ease

Ase

It is dangerous to use invocations if you are not pretty good at the pronunciation, so one must be careful in this area.

Ejiogbe I originally translated to mean spirit of giving but on further consideration ogbe is more likely an elision of o egbe meaning spirit of the group or spirit of all consciousness that ever existed so because consciousness comes from the Creator I believe ogbe is another word for Olodumare.

The word eji means first so ejiogbe from the elision eji o egbe meaning the first spirit of collective consciousness which is another reference to Olodumare.

The inference is when ejiogbe appears in divination it means the person is in alignment with Olodumare meaning in alignment with destiny.

Ifa says ayanmo ni iwa pele iwa pele ni ayanmo meaning destiny is good character good character is destiny.

That is however a generic translation the elision is ayan mo ni iwa ope ile iwa ope ile ni ayan mo meaning the sacred tree of the ancestors is the way I greet the earth, the way I greet the earth is through the sacred tree of the ancestors.

This is a poetic reference to our connection to all consciousness that has ever existed and that connection is called ogbe in Yoruba.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Skain(m): 9:04am On Sep 20, 2016
Interesting. Pls kindly continue
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 8:31am On Sep 21, 2016
Skain:
Interesting. Pls kindly continue

Thank you! So which area would you like me to touch?
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Skain(m): 11:11am On Sep 21, 2016
Babalawos:

Yes sir, brief meaning to all odu ifa.
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by PastorAIO: 3:23pm On Sep 21, 2016
Babalawos:

What are the ebo of Ejiogbe? especially regarding the Iyami. And also regarding Olokun.
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 1:00pm On Sep 22, 2016
My Ifa Divination post will be of interest to you. Here is what I wrote about Ifa Divination ~ https://www.nairaland.com/3247184/ifa-divination-how-consult-ifa

Skain:

Yes sir, brief meaning to all odu ifa.
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 1:07pm On Sep 22, 2016
I have created a special thread for Èjì Ogbè, you can read it here ~ https://www.nairaland.com/3366001/eji-ogbe-baba-ifa

I will create another separate thread for Olokun

African Tradition Religion is very broad and verse

PastorAIO:

What are the ebo of Ejiogbe? especially regarding the Iyami. And also regarding Olokun.
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Davidbee(m): 10:29pm On Oct 08, 2016
Babalawos:
Let me start today by teaching Èjì Ogbè

Èjì Ogbè (Baba Ifa) symbolizes all that is known and unknown in the universe. It is an image of all the forces that create the day. The white hole- The light.

Eji Ogbe is the sign of life. A vigorous awakening

Eji Ogbe rules the head---facing east

Physical Element = Water... Water takes precedence of all other Elements. It is recognized as the "Father of the Elements."

Physical body element = Brains and nerves

Children would be disposed to be travelers, pioneers, sailors or heads of organizations

This odu denotes plenty of good and plenty of "evil." Eji Ogbe speaks of the positive and negative forces that permeate the earth. This odu explains that both good and bad aspects of life are interconnected in fulfilling our destiny.

One translation of Eji Ogbe is "eji n mo gbe n go gbe enikan" (I support the positive and negative dimensions of every issue in life).

Every positive thing must be counterbalanced by an equal negative. This is why although we all aspire to be within the energy of EjiOgbe, we must do ebo to protect us from the negative.

Eji Ogbe expresses a need to acquire wisdom and humility. Represent high ethical standards which will be rewared with enlightenment and abundance. Time heals the pain of any matter.

We have cut off our own head to make us grow, like the banana tree. The hands belong to the body, the feet belong to the body. Victory over enemies, spiritual awakenings, long life, and peace of mind.

Eji Ogbe alerts us to the importance of medicines (akose) and incantations (ofo). There are positive ofo - ofo rere or ogede, and negative - asaan.

Herbal concoctions that may also include other elements - animal or mineral, etc., are used in conjunction with the power of the word, ofo ase, to cure illnesses, control natural phenomena, etc.

Incantations are powerful and the awo must protect herself. There are several classes of protection. The following is an incantation fro protection from negative kickback:

Ofu la a pasan

Arabamu la ape ogede

A dia fun Orunmila

Nijo t'iku ohun arun nkan 'le baba ni lilo

Orunmila ni bo ba se pe bi ise ti omo tohun ba ni

Odundun ni ki ibi o ma lee dun nile e mi

Ko ma lee dun lara a mi

Tete lo ni ki ibi o ma lee te ile e mi

Ko ma lee te ona mi

Ibi tutu la a ba rinrin

Ero pese ni tigbin

Igbin o nile olojo o wo

EjiOgbe, gbe ibi kuro lori i mi!

Gbede ni ide igba olorii!

ase

Ofu is the name of asaan (negative incantation)

arabamu is the name we call ogede (positive incantation)

They were the ones who performed Ifa divination for Orunmila

When death and disease besieged his house

All evil forces lurked around his house

Orunmila said if it was for him and his children

Odundun says the evil should not be in my house

And should not come near my body

Tete has said that no evil should befall my house

And that no evil should befall my body

Rinrin is seen only in a cool place

Snail is always cool

Snail has no house where evil forces can enter

Eji Ogbe remove evil from me!

Shea butter container is always at ease

Ase

It is dangerous to use invocations if you are not pretty good at the pronunciation, so one must be careful in this area.

Ejiogbe I originally translated to mean spirit of giving but on further consideration ogbe is more likely an elision of o egbe meaning spirit of the group or spirit of all consciousness that ever existed so because consciousness comes from the Creator I believe ogbe is another word for Olodumare.

The word eji means first so ejiogbe from the elision eji o egbe meaning the first spirit of collective consciousness which is another reference to Olodumare.

The inference is when ejiogbe appears in divination it means the person is in alignment with Olodumare meaning in alignment with destiny.

Ifa says ayanmo ni iwa pele iwa pele ni ayanmo meaning destiny is good character good character is destiny.

That is however a generic translation the elision is ayan mo ni iwa ope ile iwa ope ile ni ayan mo meaning the sacred tree of the ancestors is the way I greet the earth, the way I greet the earth is through the sacred tree of the ancestors.

This is a poetic reference to our connection to all consciousness that has ever existed and that connection is called ogbe in Yoruba.

Nice write up. I enjoyed it.

Quick question: what are the ewo (taboos) of eji ogbe? And aw does one consult and appease eji ogbe?

Thanks
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 1:27pm On Oct 09, 2016
You should ask your eji ogbe questions on my eji ogbe thread here ~ https://www.nairaland.com/3366001/eji-ogbe-baba-ifa

Davidbee:

Nice write up. I enjoyed it.

Quick question: what are the ewo (taboos) of eji ogbe? And aw does one consult and appease eji ogbe?

Thanks
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by kolado(m): 12:09am On Nov 04, 2016
Please,i would like to know everything obarairosun in odu ifa?
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Nobody: 4:40am On Nov 04, 2016
I consulted with IFA, and I was told to go and get married. What more advice can you give me? I need advice cos my fiancée is not ready now.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2016
I dont have any advice to give you because I wasn't the one that consulted Ifa for you. Supposedly I was the one that consulted Ifa for you; I could had asked Ifa what should you do since your fiancee is not ready for marriage and Ifa would had given me an accurate answer

Flight07:
I consulted with IFA, and I was told to go and get married. What more advice can you give me? I need advice cos my fiancée is not ready now.

9 Likes

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 21, 2016
Babalawos:
I dont have any advice to give you because I wasn't the one that consulted Ifa for you. Supposedly I was the one that consulted Ifa for you; I could had asked Ifa what should you do since your fiancee is not ready for marriage and Ifa would had given me an accurate answer

What is the odu IFA for the calabash and the gourd, can you please give me a concise explanation?
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 6:13pm On Nov 21, 2016
Magical Calabash Of Sacred Wisdom From The Ancestral Mothers And Magic Inside It We Add Ingredients To Direct Our Intentions To That Which We Want To Birth To Life.

The Intention Is To Offer Practical Guidance To Connect And Work With The Divine Mother Ancestral Wisdom, And To Use It To Empower Lives Today. The Calabash As Symbol For The Womb... Because Of Her Shape, Calabash also Symbolizes The “Womb”. In Both The Sense Of The Female Reproductive Organ As Well As In A Broader Creative Sense.

The calabash shape is taken to represent heaven and earth with an extended meaning representing the entire universe. Within the Calabash there is a mystical zone in the form of an alternate universe or the entrance to another world, and Orisha – Vodun – Spirit immortals and practitioners can travel between these two worlds. The “marriage” of these two substances was a sexual metaphor for the union of semen and menstrual blood to create life.

The top half signifies maleness as well as the sky/heaven–the realm of invisible spirits. The bottom half represents femaleness and the primeval waters out of which the physical world was later created. A mysterious power called Ashe is thought to hold the gourd in space, enabling the sun and moon to shine, wind to blow, fire to burn, rain to fall, rivers to flow, and both living and nonliving things to exist.

This power emanates from a Supreme Deity known as Alashe (‘Owner of Ashe’), Olorun and Olodumare (‘Eternal One and Source of All That Exists’). Assisting Olodumare in administering the universe is a host of deities or nature forces called Orisha Spirit. Said to number four hundred or more, each Orisha personifies an Ashe associated with a natural or cultural phenomenon.

Let me explain further and simplify it. Please overlook my grammatical errors and get the lessons of this teaching......

Odu the female principle imagined as a container, the fourth elemental being to issue forth from the Python’s egg, having grown “Too Old”, expresses her desire to go underground.

Seated on her mysterious cylinder box, she calls her four advisers: “Obatala – Babaluaye – Ogun – Oduduwa”. Gets them to agree on her departure by promising revelations to those of their children ( Awo Orunmila ). who come to solicit her properly in her house in the forest.

This house has become Sphere-Box containing a Calabash (Her Body) which contains in turn the four Calabashes given to her on that occasion by the four advisers.

Obatala gives a Calabash of chalk (Efun) – Babaluaye offers his favorite substance Cam-wood (Osun) – Ogun Offers charcoal (Eedu) – Oduduwa offers Mud (Eere). These gifts imply four roads, four corners of the universe. They are the original four major signs. From one of them will be “born” another first principle, as once Odu from the Python’s egg.

Ofun, the Calabash of Chalk (Efun) who gives himself, produces Obatala the white divinity as: Orisha-nla, greater than, the beginning and the end, first and last, the container of them all. The egg within becomes the womb, passivity becomes creativity personified. Surely this is part of the meaning of the Orisha Obatala as Ofun.

Igbadu becomes an Orisha, the divinity worshiped by Diviners (Olodu) who have attained the highest degree of self-knowledge ( Awo Orunmila ). Only such diviners may install the terribly powerful Calabash of existence.

Irete-Ogbe

“Symbol of the sky and earth in their fecund union, container of the supreme wisdom of Ifa. The Installation of which validates an esoteric principle of universe symbiosis”

Ofun Meji teaches that in the Spiritual Egg, Divine Spirit stands before primordial matter and from their union springs the great Soul of the World. Often connected with the Spiritual Egg is the idea of a sacred bird that drops the Egg into the waters of space.

The Egg was incorporated as a sacred sign in the cosmogony of every humans on the Earth and was revered both on account of it form and it inner mystery. From the earliest mental conceptions of man, it was known as that which represented most successfully the origin and secret of being.

The human egg is the female reproductive element. The egg contains within itself all the essentials for development, leaving the sperm the role of activating an already prepared system.

The Diviners of the house of Orunmila consulted Ifa in order to know the day that he would take Odu as his wife. The Awos of Orunmila said “Hee.” Odu that you wish to take for your wife. A power is in her hands. They said, because of this power Orunmila must make an offering to the earth. In the interest of all of his people. They said, so that with this power, she will not kill and eat him. Orunmila carried the offering outside. At the arrival of Odu, she found the offering in the street. She said, but she did not wish that they should fight with him. She said, she did not want to fight with Orunmila.

From this day, no Diviner is complete without possessing this Odu. One who does not have Odu will not be able to consult Ifa. The day that one comes into possession of Odu, On that day will he become a person that Odu will not allow to suffer.

When the world was first created, it spread out from an original palm tree that stood at the center of the world at Ile-Ife. The palm tree had sixteen branches, which formed the four cardinal points and the sixteen original quarters of Ile-Ife.

In political terms, Oduduwa, the first Oni of Ife, fathered sixteen sons who founded the sixteen original kingdoms of the Yoruba. These represent the sixteen essential life situations with sixteen possible variations each. Orunmila taught the art of divination (Ifa) to his sixteen sons; they, in turn, passed it down to the Awo-Orunmila who practice Ifa today.

Brigham:

What is the odu IFA for the calabash and the gourd, can you please give me a concise explanation?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Nobody: 7:31pm On Nov 21, 2016
Babalawos:
Magical Calabash Of Sacred Wisdom From The Ancestral Mothers And Magic Inside It We Add Ingredients To Direct Our Intentions To That Which We Want To Birth To Life.

The Intention Is To Offer Practical Guidance To Connect And Work With The Divine Mother Ancestral Wisdom, And To Use It To Empower Lives Today. The Calabash As Symbol For The Womb... Because Of Her Shape, Calabash also Symbolizes The “Womb”. In Both The Sense Of The Female Reproductive Organ As Well As In A Broader Creative Sense.

The calabash shape is taken to represent heaven and earth with an extended meaning representing the entire universe. Within the Calabash there is a mystical zone in the form of an alternate universe or the entrance to another world, and Orisha – Vodun – Spirit immortals and practitioners can travel between these two worlds. The “marriage” of these two substances was a sexual metaphor for the union of semen and menstrual blood to create life.

The top half signifies maleness as well as the sky/heaven–the realm of invisible spirits. The bottom half represents femaleness and the primeval waters out of which the physical world was later created. A mysterious power called Ashe is thought to hold the gourd in space, enabling the sun and moon to shine, wind to blow, fire to burn, rain to fall, rivers to flow, and both living and nonliving things to exist.

This power emanates from a Supreme Deity known as Alashe (‘Owner of Ashe’), Olorun and Olodumare (‘Eternal One and Source of All That Exists’). Assisting Olodumare in administering the universe is a host of deities or nature forces called Orisha Spirit. Said to number four hundred or more, each Orisha personifies an Ashe associated with a natural or cultural phenomenon.

Let me explain further and simplify it. Please overlook my grammatical errors and get the lessons of this teaching......

Odu the female principle imagined as a container, the fourth elemental being to issue forth from the Python’s egg, having grown “Too Old”, expresses her desire to go underground.

Seated on her mysterious cylinder box, she calls her four advisers: “Obatala – Babaluaye – Ogun – Oduduwa”. Gets them to agree on her departure by promising revelations to those of their children ( Awo Orunmila ). who come to solicit her properly in her house in the forest.

This house has become Sphere-Box containing a Calabash (Her Body) which contains in turn the four Calabashes given to her on that occasion by the four advisers.

Obatala gives a Calabash of chalk (Efun) – Babaluaye offers his favorite substance Cam-wood (Osun) – Ogun Offers charcoal (Eedu) – Oduduwa offers Mud (Eere). These gifts imply four roads, four corners of the universe. They are the original four major signs. From one of them will be “born” another first principle, as once Odu from the Python’s egg.

Ofun, the Calabash of Chalk (Efun) who gives himself, produces Obatala the white divinity as: Orisha-nla, greater than, the beginning and the end, first and last, the container of them all. The egg within becomes the womb, passivity becomes creativity personified. Surely this is part of the meaning of the Orisha Obatala as Ofun.

Igbadu becomes an Orisha, the divinity worshiped by Diviners (Olodu) who have attained the highest degree of self-knowledge ( Awo Orunmila ). Only such diviners may install the terribly powerful Calabash of existence.

Irete-Ogbe

“Symbol of the sky and earth in their fecund union, container of the supreme wisdom of Ifa. The Installation of which validates an esoteric principle of universe symbiosis”

Ofun Meji teaches that in the Spiritual Egg, Divine Spirit stands before primordial matter and from their union springs the great Soul of the World. Often connected with the Spiritual Egg is the idea of a sacred bird that drops the Egg into the waters of space.

The Egg was incorporated as a sacred sign in the cosmogony of every humans on the Earth and was revered both on account of it form and it inner mystery. From the earliest mental conceptions of man, it was known as that which represented most successfully the origin and secret of being.

The human egg is the female reproductive element. The egg contains within itself all the essentials for development, leaving the sperm the role of activating an already prepared system.

The Diviners of the house of Orunmila consulted Ifa in order to know the day that he would take Odu as his wife. The Awos of Orunmila said “Hee.” Odu that you wish to take for your wife. A power is in her hands. They said, because of this power Orunmila must make an offering to the earth. In the interest of all of his people. They said, so that with this power, she will not kill and eat him. Orunmila carried the offering outside. At the arrival of Odu, she found the offering in the street. She said, but she did not wish that they should fight with him. She said, she did not want to fight with Orunmila.

From this day, no Diviner is complete without possessing this Odu. One who does not have Odu will not be able to consult Ifa. The day that one comes into possession of Odu, On that day will he become a person that Odu will not allow to suffer.

When the world was first created, it spread out from an original palm tree that stood at the center of the world at Ile-Ife. The palm tree had sixteen branches, which formed the four cardinal points and the sixteen original quarters of Ile-Ife.

In political terms, Oduduwa, the first Oni of Ife, fathered sixteen sons who founded the sixteen original kingdoms of the Yoruba. These represent the sixteen essential life situations with sixteen possible variations each. Orunmila taught the art of divination (Ifa) to his sixteen sons; they, in turn, passed it down to the Awo-Orunmila who practice Ifa today.

Thank you very much!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 11:00pm On Nov 23, 2016
You are welcome

Brigham:

Thank you very much!
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by jameslovely: 4:17pm On Jan 21, 2017
Please what's is the meaning of the ifa Odu Otura Tiku
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by fckmn24seg(m): 10:06pm On May 01, 2017
Babalawos:
There are sixteen major Odu ('books') in the Odù Ifá literary corpus. When combined there are total of 256 Odu to solve all problems, situations, circumstances, actions and consequences in life based on the uncountable ese (poetic recitations) attached to the 256 Odu coding. These form the basis of Ifa traditional spiritual knowledge and are the foundation of all Yoruba divination systems.

Where I is an odd count or a "heads" result, and II is an even count or a "tails" result, the sixteen basic patterns and their Yoruba names are set forth in the sidebar.

(Please note this is only one way of ordering them, this changes depending on area within Nigeria, or the diaspora. An alternative order used in Ibadan, and Cuba is: Ejiogbe, Oyekun meji, Iwori Meji, Idi Meji, Irosun Meji, Oworin Meji, Obara Meji, Okanran Meji, Ogunda Meji, Osa Meji, Ika Meji, Oturupon Meji, Otura Meji, Irete Meji, Oshe Meji, Ofun Meji. Heepa Odu! This is important to note as it changes the outcomes of certain parts of the reading).

The babalawo recites a series of poems with proverbs and stories from the Ifa poetry that go with that choice. The final interpretation is made by the person seeking guidance, who decides how the verses that the babalawo has recited should be applied to the problem at hand.

(This may be one style, however other schools of thought with Ifa have the Diviner interpreting what Ifa says and not simply chanting and leaving it to the client)

Ifa poetry is not written down but passed down orally from one babalawo to another. Today, there are many texts that are designed to help Babalawos to learn and retain the huge corpus of knowledge.

Initiation into Ifa requires rigorous study. An aspiring Babalawo must learn AT LEAST four verses from each of the 256 chapters (Odu) of Ifa. The minimum of four verses will of necessity include ebos and ooguns (medicine) that are embedded and relevant to each of the verses, plus other issues that complement divination.

An accomplished Babalawo must know about ten verses of each of the 256 chapters of Ifa (256 Odu Ifa). Regardless of gender, whoever aspires to practice Ifa must have this qualification. In essence, Ifa practice does not preclude a woman provided such woman acquires the required qualification.

A special Orisa can only be received by a Babalawo who decides to perform the special initiation that will allow him access to Odu. In essence, initiation into
Ifa is the first step towards initiation into Odu. A woman cannot be initiated into Odu.

Thank you for reading, drop your comments

Can you telll me about ogbe ika
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by kodeya(m): 11:17am On May 14, 2017
Pls could you explanciate on the Odu Ifa called Oserosun
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 6:56am On Aug 09, 2017
kodeya:
Pls could you explanciate on the Odu Ifa called Oserosun

Ogboato Aboru Aboye

Oserosun are the two Odu combined together during IFA divination and these two Odu IFA are Ose and Irosun. The stories, ebos (sacrifices) and interpretations of Ose and Irosun are told to the divinee by the Babalawo.

Thank you for reading, leave a comment

Babalawos

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 6:58am On Aug 09, 2017
fckmn24seg:

Can you telll me about ogbe ika

Ogboato Aboru Aboye

Ogbe Ika are the two Odu combined together during IFA divination and these two Odu IFA are Ogbe which is also known as Ejiogbe or Ogbe Meji and Ika or Ika Meji. The stories, ebos (sacrifices) and interpretations of Ogbe and Ika are told to the divinee by the Babalawo.

Babalawos

1 Like

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by hoodmenconcept(m): 1:42am On Sep 17, 2017
Please, could you tell me about ogundabede..

Thank you.
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 1:15pm On Sep 17, 2017
hoodmenconcept:
Please, could you tell me about ogundabede..

Thank you.

Aboru Aboye

Ogunda is the nineth Odu Ifa, He was the only Odu that did not die, He went to heaven with his physical body. He was the only Odu that did not come to earth through child birth. He mystically appeared to earth and started life afterwards. When other Ojugbonas, Babalawos, Iyanifas, Orisa Priests and Priestesses could not solve problems, they call Ogunda and He always solve the problems. There was no problem Ogunda could not solve. Even Death himself was scared of Ogunda. I will stop here.

Ogbe is the first Odu Ifa, He is the King of the day. He did great miracles on earth. He is regarded as one of the greatest Odu Ifa. He did extra ordinary works during His life time on earth. He made the blind to see, the lame to walk, the deaf to hear, the barren to conceive.... etc. He was extremely kind, generous, nice, simple but very powerful. He was extremely rich and wealthy during His life time on earth but He had problem with marriage. I will stop here.

Ogunda Ogbe is two Odu Ifa combined together during IFA divination. This Odu is also known as Ogundabede. It is the Odu that is in charge of all that concerns deceit, lies, fraud, forgery and mockery. This Odu covers all that you need to know about criminals.

If this Odu comes out during IFA divination for a client, the Babalawo will tell his client to use tortoise, yam and other items to offer ebo and the Babalawo will also tell his client to stay away from criminal activities like fraud, deceits, forgeries... etc.

There are several itans (stories) attached to this Odu "Ogundabede" but a skilled Babalawo should know which itan (story) to tell his client that will be meaningful and beneficial to his client.

Thank you for reading, leave your comments

Babalawos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by hoodmenconcept(m): 3:45pm On Sep 17, 2017
Thank you for enlightening me about this Odu.
There was a time I went to Babalawo and the Odu that came out for me is Ogundabede and the Babalawo told me, that, it is called. Olori ole, its related to what you have mentioned here but my concern is, you are saying something different cos the Babalawo told me that... I will succeed in life by lies and fraud but I don't want to believe that cos I wonder why someone will only have to succeed from doing frauds. Please, kindly enlighten me more.
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 10:03am On Sep 18, 2017
hoodmenconcept:
Thank you for enlightening me about this Odu.
There was a time I went to Babalawo and the Odu that came out for me is Ogundabede and the Babalawo told me, that, it is called. Olori ole, its related to what you have mentioned here but my concern is, you are saying something different cos the Babalawo told me that... I will succeed in life by lies and fraud but I don't want to believe that cos I wonder why someone will only have to succeed from doing frauds. Please, kindly enlighten me more.

MY REPOST

Aboru Aboye

Ogunda is the nineth Odu Ifa, He was the only Odu that did not die, He went to heaven with his physical body. He was the only Odu that did not come to earth through child birth. He mystically appeared to earth and started life afterwards. When other Ojugbonas, Babalawos, Iyanifas, Orisa Priests and Priestesses could not solve problems, they call Ogunda and He always solve the problems. There was no problem Ogunda could not solve. Even Death himself was scared of Ogunda. I will stop here.

Ogbe is the first Odu Ifa, He is the King of the day. He did great miracles on earth. He is regarded as one of the greatest Odu Ifa. He did extra ordinary works during His life time on earth. He made the blind to see, the lame to walk, the deaf to hear, the barren to conceive.... etc. He was extremely kind, generous, nice, simple but very powerful. He was extremely rich and wealthy during His life time on earth but He had problem with marriage. I will stop here.

Ogunda Ogbe is two Odu Ifa combined together during IFA divination. This Odu is also known as Ogundabede. It is the Odu that is in charge of all that concerns deceit, lies, fraud, forgery and mockery. This Odu covers all that you need to know about criminals.

If this Odu comes out during IFA divination for a client, the Babalawo will tell his client to use tortoise, yam and other items to offer ebo and the Babalawo will also tell his client to stay away from criminal activities like fraud, deceits, forgeries... etc.

There are several itans (stories) attached to this Odu "Ogundabede" but a skilled Babalawo should know which itan (story) to tell his client that will be meaningful and beneficial to his client.

Babalawos

Notice the bolded, a babalawo can also tell you that you will succeed in life by lies but the fact about this Odu IFA is that it covers everything about fraud, lies, deceits, forgeries... etc. It depends on how the Babalawo interprets it to his clients and the interpretation is entirely based on his clients Ori.

You can believe whatever you want to believe. IFA doesn't lie, IFA is infallible, IFA words never falls to the ground. If you are here to ask me to discredit a Babalawo divination report to you?

I will not because even Eledumare (Almighty God) doesn't have the right to question or doubt IFA, even the Orisas (Gods and Goddesses) doesn't have the right to question or doubt IFA, even the Ancestors doesn't have the right to question or doubt IFA, I am not qualified to question or doubt IFA, no babalawo have the right to question or doubt my IFA.

Do you know what is IFA? I dont think you do because if you did, you would not question or doubt your IFA divination report.

Infact it is a taboo and a sacrilege to question or doubt IFA. I will advise you quickly offer ebo to Esu, Ogun and IFA for questioning and doubting IFA. Failure to do so, the misfortunes that will befall you will be unimaginable.

Babalawos
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Raintaker(m): 10:15am On Sep 18, 2017
Babalawos:

MY REPOST

Aboru Aboye

Babalawos

Notice the bolded, a babalawo can also tell you that you will succeed in life by lies but the fact about this Odu IFA is that it covers everything about fraud, lies, deceits, forgeries... etc. It depends on how the Babalawo interprets it to his clients and the interpretation is entirely based on his clients Ori.

You can believe whatever you want to believe. IFA doesn't lie, IFA is infallible, IFA words never falls to the ground. If you are here to ask me to discredit a Babalawo divination report to you?

I will not because even Eledumare (Almighty God) doesn't have the right to question or doubt IFA, even the Orisas (Gods and Goddesses) doesn't have the right to question or doubt IFA, even the Ancestors doesn't have the right to question or doubt IFA, I am not qualified to question or doubt IFA, no babalawo have the right to question or doubt my IFA.

Do you know what is IFA? I dont think you do because if you did, you would not question or doubt your IFA divination report.

Infact it is a taboo and a sacrilege to question or doubt IFA. I will advise you quickly offer ebo to Esu, Ogun and IFA for questioning and doubting IFA. Failure to do so, the misfortunes that will befall you will be unimaginable.

Babalawos
So you mean because IFA said he should go and commit fraud and steal then he should do that?
IFA lies most times just like some pastors.

1 Like

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 7:48pm On Sep 18, 2017
Raintaker:
So you mean because IFA said he should go and commit fraud and steal then he should do that?
IFA lies most times just like some pastors.

I dont know the babalawo that consulted IFA for him and I certainly cant speak for the babalawo that consulted IFA for him. I will advised him to contact the babalawo that consulted IFA for him.

Certainly I can speak for IFA because I am an IFA priest. IFA dont lie but some babalawos lie using IFA just like how some pastors lie using Jesus.

3 Likes

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by billynoni(m): 12:40am On Oct 13, 2017
Babalawos:

Ogboato Aboru Aboye

Ogbe Ika are the two Odu combined together during IFA divination and these two Odu IFA are Ogbe which is also known as Ejiogbe or Ogbe Meji and Ika or Ika Meji. The stories, ebos (sacrifices) and interpretations of Ogbe and Ika are told to the divinee by the Babalawo.

Babalawos
Talking about Ika meji........Asking this because a friend woke up one day only to draw what he saw in the dream as ika meji
11 11
1 1
11 11
11 11
11 11 ....something like this and allegedly told by a priest man in the dream to pour a lot of "water" here and there. Whats the sacrifice here and how can that be done? And what's the interpretation of the "water" here?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Book Of Enoch / Jesus Quoted It And So Did Apostles / The Journey Of Soul / How To Deal With Eating In The Dream And Others Dream Types

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.