Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,752 members, 7,806,061 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa (151498 Views)

How to Interprete Dreams (A Basic Introduction For Christians) / Who Can Help To Interprete This Dream? / Ifá Religion: What Is Ifá? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Krosslife(m): 4:24pm On Oct 13, 2017
Thanks for this opportunity Babalawo.

I am a new IFA initiate. I did my ITEFA last week. Can you please help me with the detailed interpretation of the Odu Ifa - Osebi Irete.

Thanks.
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by MurphyInc(m): 1:07am On Oct 16, 2017
Hello Priest,

I never believed in deities or any religion aside Islam and Christianity until last week Friday when I came in contact with one IFA priest. I was amazed when he told me everything about me, the genesis of my problem through IFA. He didn't only tell me about my problems but he mentioned of the solution. To my amazement he proffer a solution immediately and the next day I saw a change.

We Yorubas don't appreciate what we have, we believe too much in Western religion . in those days when they people say Yorubas has the greatest culture in the world I don't understand what that means. It's high time we look inward and find solutions to our problems. Consulting IFA priest for devine solutions does not mean you are a sinner. IFA priest will not ever ask you to join them is worshipping or ask you to abandon your religion.

I'm not saying God does not exist or religion is not important or you should stop praying to God, all am saying is that sometimes God gives our problem solution in the hands of some other mini gods. I know a Christian lady got healed of a serious illness by a Muslim cleric (alfa) and Alfa child healed by a pastor. Harberlists has heals many people. Nothing is in this world if we can find solutions to our spiritual problems.

Cheers

8 Likes

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by fckmn24seg(m): 1:26pm On Nov 04, 2017
Babalawos:

Ogboato Aboru Aboye

Ogbe Ika are the two Odu combined together during IFA divination and these two Odu IFA are Ogbe which is also known as Ejiogbe or Ogbe Meji and Ika or Ika Meji. The stories, ebos (sacrifices) and interpretations of Ogbe and Ika are told to the divinee by the Babalawo.

Thank you for reading, leave a comment

Babalawos

Can we call a new IFA initiate a babalawo? Eniti o te ifa
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 9:32am On Nov 05, 2017
fckmn24seg:

Can we call a new IFA initiate a babalawo? Eniti o te ifa

Before someone is considered a Babalawo, he must undergo rigorous IFA training.

He must be able to divine with ikin, opele, cowries and four mouth kola.

The ikin is the traditional IFA divination tool followed by the opele divination tool and the next in line is the cowries divination tool and the least divination tool is the four mouth Kola.

The four mouth kola divination is often carried out in venues like traditional marriages, child naming ceremonies... where the Babalawo is not properly dressed like a Babalawo without his medicine bag where charms and divination tools are kept.

The Babalawo uses the four mouth kola to pray for guests, breaks the kola and divine for guests with it and prescribe ebos.

So an IFA initiate who can't divine is not fit to be called an IFA Priest because all IFA Priests are diviners.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 9:33am On Nov 05, 2017
MurphyInc:
Hello Priest,

I never believed in deities or any religion aside Islam and Christianity until last week Friday when I came in contact with one IFA priest. I was amazed when he told me everything about me, the genesis of my problem through IFA. He didn't only tell me about my problems but he mentioned of the solution. To my amazement he proffer a solution immediately and the next day I saw a change.

We Yorubas don't appreciate what we have, we believe too much in Western religion . in those days when they people say Yorubas has the greatest culture in the world I don't understand what that means. It's high time we look inward and find solutions to our problems. Consulting IFA priest for devine solutions does not mean you are a sinner. IFA priest will not ever ask you to join them is worshipping or ask you to abandon your religion.

I'm not saying God does not exist or religion is not important or you should stop praying to God, all am saying is that sometimes God gives our problem solution in the hands of some other mini gods. I know a Christian lady got healed of a serious illness by a Muslim cleric (alfa) and Alfa child healed by a pastor. Harberlists has heals many people. Nothing is in this world if we can find solutions to our spiritual problems.

Cheers

Thank you so much for this amazing comment
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by fckmn24seg(m): 9:41pm On Nov 05, 2017
Babalawos:

The ikin is the traditional IFA divination tool followed by the opele divination tool and the next in line is the cowries divination tool and the least divination tool is the four mouth Kola.

The four mouth kola divination is often carried out in venues like traditional marriages, child naming ceremonies... where the Babalawo is not properly dressed like a Babalawo without his medicine bag where charms and divination tools are kept.

The Babalawo uses the four mouth kola to pray for guests, breaks the kola and divine for guests with it and prescribe ebos.

So an IFA initiate who can't divine is not fit to be called an IFA Priest because all IFA Priests are diviners.

Thanks IFA a gbe wa
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 7:50am On Nov 06, 2017
fckmn24seg:

Thanks IFA a gbe wa

May IFA support us on our journey here on earth and after life Ase

1 Like

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by ally08055(m): 4:22pm On Nov 14, 2017
I have enjoyed this thread.... pls would like to have a personal chat with face to face or via phone .. pls kindly email me your contact... Thanks hoping to hear from you.... Best thread ever....
ally08055@gmail.com
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by ally08055(m): 4:26pm On Nov 14, 2017
i have enjoyed every bit of this thread.. pls would like to have a face to face or phone chat with you pls kindly email me on how i can reach you...... Your knowledge is vast and would desire to tap from it..... Thanks and hoping to hear from you soon...
ally08055@gmail.com
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Babalawos(m): 8:42am On Nov 15, 2017
ally08055:
i have enjoyed every bit of this thread.. pls would like to have a face to face or phone chat with you pls kindly email me on how i can reach you...... Your knowledge is vast and would desire to tap from it..... Thanks and hoping to hear from you soon...
ally08055@gmail.com

Thanks for your compliments.

You can get my contacts from www.babalawoweb.com/contact-us
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Ayomide8341(m): 7:20pm On Dec 09, 2017
I have enjoyed every bit of your post and comments I have my own personal ifa which my dad did for me when I was very young it's named eji ogbe I am yet to fully. under stand how it works pls kindly help me out my email. is samuelmark007@gmail thanks will be expecting. ur reply
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by luizlmarins(m): 2:39pm On Jan 10, 2018
Ifa was formed from the union of Arab geomancy + traditional Yoruba mythology. From the Arabs came the signs, and from the Yorubas came the myths.

To learn more about geomancy, visit: https://geomancysite./

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Kosabillion22: 12:42pm On Jan 29, 2018
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by TMemos: 9:31pm On Mar 26, 2018
Babalawos:

Thanks for your compliments.

You can get my contacts from www.babalawoweb.com/contact-us

I have noticed that the opele is usually thrown twice which gives 16 possibilities. But each of the odus on the chart you provided contains 8 possibilities.

Kindly explain this. Thank you.
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Ayomidegbenga1(m): 6:37pm On Aug 17, 2018
Babalawos:
There are sixteen major Odu ('books') in the Odù Ifá literary corpus. When combined there are total of 256 Odu to solve all problems, situations, circumstances, actions and consequences in life based on the uncountable ese (poetic recitations) attached to the 256 Odu coding. These form the basis of Ifa traditional spiritual knowledge and are the foundation of all Yoruba divination systems.

Where I is an odd count or a "heads" result, and II is an even count or a "tails" result, the sixteen basic patterns and their Yoruba names are set forth in the sidebar.

(Please note this is only one way of ordering them, this changes depending on area within Nigeria, or the diaspora. An alternative order used in Ibadan, and Cuba is: Ejiogbe, Oyekun meji, Iwori Meji, Idi Meji, Irosun Meji, Oworin Meji, Obara Meji, Okanran Meji, Ogunda Meji, Osa Meji, Ika Meji, Oturupon Meji, Otura Meji, Irete Meji, Oshe Meji, Ofun Meji. Heepa Odu! This is important to note as it changes the outcomes of certain parts of the reading).

The babalawo recites a series of poems with proverbs and stories from the Ifa poetry that go with that choice. The final interpretation is made by the person seeking guidance, who decides how the verses that the babalawo has recited should be applied to the problem at hand.

(This may be one style, however other schools of thought with Ifa have the Diviner interpreting what Ifa says and not simply chanting and leaving it to the client)

Ifa poetry is not written down but passed down orally from one babalawo to another. Today, there are many texts that are designed to help Babalawos to learn and retain the huge corpus of knowledge.

Initiation into Ifa requires rigorous study. An aspiring Babalawo must learn AT LEAST four verses from each of the 256 chapters (Odu) of Ifa. The minimum of four verses will of necessity include ebos and ooguns (medicine) that are embedded and relevant to each of the verses, plus other issues that complement divination.

An accomplished Babalawo must know about ten verses of each of the 256 chapters of Ifa (256 Odu Ifa). Regardless of gender, whoever aspires to practice Ifa must have this qualification. In essence, Ifa practice does not preclude a woman provided such woman acquires the required qualification.

A special Orisa can only be received by a Babalawo who decides to perform the special initiation that will allow him access to Odu. In essence, initiation into
Ifa is the first step towards initiation into Odu. A woman cannot be initiated into Odu.

Thank you for reading, drop your comments

Pls Sir,i want to know about okanran Irosun Thank you Sir
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by empressthywo(f): 5:57pm On Sep 01, 2018
Can you pls tell me about ifa “Ogbe Ola” thank you
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Nation00: 10:30pm On Sep 05, 2018
Hello good day. Pls can someone tell me about Oturaosa (otura ma sa). Sacrifices and more about this odu. What are d dont and dos of dis odu. Ths
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Biode: 9:14am On Oct 21, 2018
My odu IFA is ogundabede. Does it mean if I consult another Babalawo for my IFA divination, it Will not change to another odu IFA? Please enlighten me further.
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by vaxx: 9:31am On Oct 21, 2018
Biode:
My odu IFA is ogundabede. Does it mean if I consult another Babalawo for my IFA divination, it Will not change to another odu IFA? Please enlighten me further.
how do you know your odu ifa that is ogubdabede elewe obi...
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Biode: 10:55am On Oct 21, 2018
I consulted an IFA priest recently and he told me that.
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by tyinfinity: 2:41am On Nov 06, 2018
Please someone should consult ifa for me
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Torkwase41(f): 5:02am On Nov 09, 2018
Greetings Family!
I am new to the site and all the information can be overwhelming. I received an odu that came in ire of okaran oyeku. I just want to know more about it. Can anyone here provide more insight?
Ekabo
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by oladkab90: 8:59am On Jan 07, 2019
Pls, can I get full explanation of odu ifa 'osa fun'

1 Like

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by wealthkata: 7:56am On Jul 01, 2019
Good morning pls can I get a text on ifa
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by SKINDOGGY: 2:17pm On Jan 06, 2022
MurphyInc:
Hello Priest,

Cheers

Pls Can you refer me to the Ifa

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by SKINDOGGY: 2:21pm On Jan 06, 2022
How can I know if you're real Ifa priest?
Babalawos:

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Lvgirl: 2:30pm On Apr 28, 2022
Can you please shed light on Otura-meji pls
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by sharpwriter(m): 8:45am On May 30, 2023
Krosslife:
Thanks for this opportunity Babalawo.

I am a new IFA initiate. I did my ITEFA last week. Can you please help me with the detailed interpretation of the Odu Ifa - Osebi Irete.

Thanks.
How much did you do itefa as at 2017?
Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by iAMGODPLUG: 10:01am On Nov 16, 2023
PLEASE CAN YOU HAV ME A BRIEF EXPLANATION ON HOW ODU IFA
ANSWERS YES OR KNOW TO QUESTIONS

HAVE SEEN PEOPLE CONSULTING IFA JUST TO
PICK EITHER YES OR NO

SO PLS HOW DOES THAT WORK ?

1 Like

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Dsimmer: 7:09pm On Nov 21, 2023
iAMGODPLUG:
PLEASE CAN YOU HAV ME A BRIEF EXPLANATION ON HOW ODU IFA
ANSWERS YES OR KNOW TO QUESTIONS

HAVE SEEN PEOPLE CONSULTING IFA JUST TO
PICK EITHER YES OR NO

SO PLS HOW DOES THAT WORK ?

While I haven't really delved into Yoruba religion (IFA), even though I came from a core IFA family (all Yoruba ancestors practice IFA as a matter of fact), I have always understand the fact that IFA is all about enlightenment and education apart from the fact that it contains the history of Yoruba race. However, I will always say that people should rather focus on the historical, educative & enlightenment perspective of it than other stuff. Because it's all about the educative perspectives of it, not jazz and charm nonsense which aren't even part of IFA to begin with. IFA is against magic as a matter of fact. So I hope people focus on the educative perspectives of IFA because that should be what it should be about 📍

One of the educative perspectives of it for example are the medicinal vegetable, tree roots and barks which are medicinal which learned people can improve further on, through pharmaceutical research and all. That's where the combination of modern western technical breakthrough comes in. I remembered a time I had a ringworm on my lap or was it a boil? while I was little and my grandmother brought some natural leaves she had plucked and applied the squeezed juice on it, the Ringworm or boil dried up immediately. I can't even remember the name of the leave sef. Lol. These are the medicinal part I'm talking about, which can be further researched on.

There are also the creative art and technological aspects of it such as, metal and steel works etc which I had previously talked about. Combine such educative knowledge with the western modern technological advancements, and we can have a major technical/technological breakthrough. That was how the Asian started. They combined their own Asian knowledge with the western technical advancement.

As a matter of fact, IFA is more or less asking people out there to go and research.. It's not about charms and jazz. For example, it talks about medicinal leaves, tree root, barks etc which ended up making the older folks to realise that natural leaves, root barks etc are medicinal thus our older folks went to research on it and found out that some trees are indeed medicinal. All what the modern pharmaceutical researchers, scientists such as microbiologist, biochemists, chemical engineers etc need to do is find out the potent chemicals that makes such particular vegetable leaves, tree and root barks medicinal for a particular purpose and work on it to produce such chemicals in large quantities!

IFA talks about Iron/metal and steel works thus asking people to go research on it which ended up making the older folks to realise that metal can be produced and worked on. As a matter of fact, IFA is asking people to believe in themselves while asking them to go do educative research on things. Point is if Ogun could work on metal, why can't you make an educative research on it and work on it? It's all about education and enlightenment.

If Shango and Oya could work and bring forth electricity with storm, wind, smoke, lightening etc why can't you?

If Shango could ensure commerce and industrialization, why can't you as a leader do it for the people? And etc. All these are scientific!

It's all about making the world an innovative better place. It shouldn't be about all sorts of nonsense.

Another example is IFA talking about preservation of forests, tree planting and preservation of natural resources such as air, rivers etc which are all scientific.

It's all about the education, innovation and creativity. It's against all forms of retrogression. It's about innovation and creativity!

IFA is an enlightenment, educative ideas, creativity and a fact seeking question! It's not about jazz and charm and all sorts of evil nonsense! These are not part of IFA! The only Yoruba God is Olodumare. While the orisas/deities are symbols of fact seeking educative & innovative ideas, as much as they were beings with special talents & creativity. All the orishas are under IFA.

1 Like

Re: Odù Ifá: Learn How To Interprete Ifa by Dsimmer: 10:40am On Nov 22, 2023
Dsimmer:

While I haven't really delved into Yoruba religion (IFA), even though I came from a core IFA family (all Yoruba ancestors practice IFA as a matter of fact), I have always understand the fact that IFA is all about enlightenment and education, apart from the fact that it contains the history of Yoruba race. However, I will always say that people should rather focus on the historical, educative & enlightenment perspective of it than other stuff. Because it's all about the educative perspectives of it, not jazz and charm nonsense which aren't even part of IFA to begin with. IFA is against magic as a matter of fact. So I hope people focus on the educative perspectives of IFA because that should be what it should be about 📍

One of the educative perspectives of it for example are the medicinal vegetable, tree roots and barks which are medicinal which learned people can improve further on, through pharmaceutical research and all. That's where the combination of modern western technical breakthrough comes in. I remembered a time I had a ringworm on my lap or was it a boil? while I was little and my grandmother brought some natural leaves she had plucked and applied the squeezed juice on it, the Ringworm or boil dried up immediately. I can't even remember the name of the leave sef. Lol. These are the medicinal part I'm talking about, which can be further researched on.

There are also the creative art and technological aspects of it such as, metal and steel works etc which I had previously talked about. Combine such educative knowledge with the western modern technological advancements, and we can have a major technical/technological breakthrough. That was how the Asian started. They combined their own Asian knowledge with the western technical advancement.

As a matter of fact, IFA is more or less asking people out there to go and research.. It's not about charms and jazz. For example, it talks about medicinal leaves, tree root, barks etc which ended up making the older folks to realise that natural leaves, root barks etc are medicinal thus our older folks went to research on it and found out that some trees are indeed medicinal. All what the modern pharmaceutical researchers, scientists such as microbiologist, biochemists, chemical engineers etc need to do is find out the potent chemicals that makes such particular vegetable leaves, tree and root barks medicinal for a particular purpose and work on it to produce such chemicals in large quantities!

IFA talks about Iron/metal and steel works thus asking people to go research on it which ended up making the older folks to realise that metal can be produced and worked on. As a matter of fact, IFA is asking people to believe in themselves while asking them to go do educative research on things. Point is if Ogun could work on metal, why can't you make an educative research on it and work on it? It's all about education and enlightenment.

If Shango and Oya could work and bring forth electricity with storm, wind, smoke, lightening etc why can't you?

If Shango could ensure commerce and industrialization, why can't you as a leader do it for the people? And etc. All these are scientific!

It's all about making the world an innovative better place. It shouldn't be about all sorts of nonsense.

Another example is IFA talking about preservation of forests, tree planting and preservation of natural resources such as air, rivers etc which are all scientific.

It's all about the education, innovation and creativity. It's against all forms of retrogression. It's about innovation and creativity!

IFA is an enlightenment, educative ideas, creativity and a fact seeking question! It's not about jazz and charm and all sorts of evil nonsense! These are not part of IFA! The only Yoruba God is Olodumare. While the orisas/deities are symbols of fact seeking educative & innovative ideas, as much as they were beings with special talents & creativity. All the orishas are under IFA.

Basically, Ifa is simply an enlightenment, innovation and creativity, aside from the fact that it contains the history of Yoruba race. It's not about retrogressive ideas and shouldn't be. I feel that's what a religion should be about. Any religion that doesn't champion innovation and creativity but champion retrogressive ideas should be invalidated.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Book Of Enoch / Jesus Quoted It And So Did Apostles / The Journey Of Soul / How To Deal With Eating In The Dream And Others Dream Types

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.