Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,336 members, 7,808,185 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa (10607 Views)

Many Besiege Akure To Consult ‘wonder Baby’ Born With Healing Powers / Ifa Divination For A Client In My Shrine / Ifa Divination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 5:43am On Jul 25, 2016
Special instruments are used to assist in the divination to transcribe Orunmila's wisdom through the diviner. The items used for divination include:

• a group of sixteen Ikin, commonly known as palm nuts, which are used to create binary data
• Dust from the Irosun tree (Iyerosun)
• a vessel for the seeds (Ajere Ifa)
• a divination tray (opon Ifa).
• a tapper instrument (iroke Ifa)
• a fly whisk (Irukere Ifa)
• beaded belts for the babalawo / iyanifa to wear (this is not required)
• another form of divination is with the Opele, though Ikin is considered superior

The (opon Ifa) or tray and (iroke Ifa) or tapper are used in Ifa divination, a central ritual within Ifa tradition. This tray, adorned with carved images and dusted with powder, serves as the template on which sacred signs (odu) related to the personal concerns of a diviner's client are traced as the point of departure for analysis.

In contrast to those transitory signs, the more permanent backdrop of the carved motifs on the tapper and tray constitutes an artistic exegesis of the forces that shape human experience and the universal needs fulfilled by such quests for enlightenment.

To initiate the ritual, the babalawo / iyanifa places the tray in front of him and taps rhythmically on it with the pointed end of the tapper, invoking the presence of Orunmila, past diviners and other Orisa.

There are a variety of palm nuts that are available, but only specific kinds may be used for Ifa divination and must have at least 3 "eyes" or more. The palm nuts are grouped in one hand, then the diviner attempts to shift them all to his / her other hand at once, and counts the remaining Ikin left, hopefully to discover that either one or two remain.

(Odu, which are the foundation of the binary data, can only be marked with either one or two palm nuts, remaining in the diviner's original hand. As this process goes on, the diviner marks single or double marks in wood powder spread on his divination tray until he or she has created one of the 256 odus that are available.

Each of these odus is associated with a traditional set of Ese (verses), often relating to Yoruba mythology, which explain their divinatory meaning. These verses represent thousands of years of observation and are filled with predictions, and both mundane and spiritual prescriptions that resolve issues found in that Odu. Within Ifa, Believers find all the knowledge of the world past, present and future.

After obtaining the Odu that governs a situation or event, the diviner then determines whether the Odu comes with Ire (which is poorly translated to mean good luck) or Ibi (which could be viewed as obstacles or impediments to success).

After this process the diviner now determines appropriate offerings, spiritual disclipines and / or behavioral changes necessary to bring, keep or compel success for the person receiving divinatory counsel

Thank you for reading, please drop a comment

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by orisa37: 6:35am On Jul 25, 2016
This is the Staff of Moses given to him by God. And for Ifa, you need the Special Light of God to profess it. "Imole Olodumare wa fun IMO IFA". The Light of God is needed for The Knowledge of IFA.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by orisa37: 6:48am On Jul 25, 2016
IFA is a Staff Counsel of Oduduwa given Him by Olodumare for Directions, Knowledge and Goodness
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by oaroloye(m): 7:15pm On Jul 25, 2016
SHALOM!

The Future cannot be predicted- only created.

To beg someone to predict your Future for you, is to allow them to create it for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 4:30am On Jul 26, 2016
oaroloye:
SHALOM!

The Future cannot be predicted- only created.

To beg someone to predict your Future for you, is to allow them to create it for you.

YOU ARE WRONG. All human beings have Ori and all human beings possess "Àyànmô" and are expected to eventually become one in spirit with Olódùmarè. You should strife to know yours!

6 Likes

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 4:33am On Jul 26, 2016
orisa37:
This is the Staff of Moses given to him by God. And for Ifa, you need the Special Light of God to profess it. "Imole Olodumare wa fun IMO IFA". The Light of God is needed for The Knowledge of IFA.

Don't be deceived by Christians. IFÁ and the DIVINITIES are NOT connected to Christianity

3 Likes

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by orisa37: 7:22am On Jul 26, 2016
I haven't said all these you're saying. I simply compared IFA with Christianity to ensure my personal sanity and before you drive me nut. All I'm saying is that "IFA IS IMOLE OLODUMARE LOWO ODUDUWA". Oduduwa here is Jesus greater than Moses. And He is THE BOND AND CHARACTER OF YORUBA. Religion is individual relationship with individual spirit. Ekaaro o: Good morning!
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Almajiri1: 7:46am On Jul 26, 2016
This should be front paged and hotly debated.
Seun lalasticala.
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Rossikk(m): 12:05pm On Jul 26, 2016
orisa37:
Abeg....just leave your christian stuff out of this topic. No christians were existing when these philosophies were developed. Just respect yourself, and don't spoil this lovely thread by references to Moses, Isaiah, or anything like that, pls.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 12:12pm On Jul 26, 2016
Rossikk:
Abeg....just leave your christian stuff out of this topic. No christians were existing when these philosophies were developed. Don't spoil this lovely thread by references to Moses, Isaiah, or anything like that.

Thank you
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Rossikk(m): 12:14pm On Jul 26, 2016
Babalawos:

Thank you
You're welcome sir. Please continue with your knowledge sharing.
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 12:19pm On Jul 26, 2016
Rossikk:
You're welcome sir. Please continue with your knowledge sharing.

Sure I will
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 26, 2016
Abeg, I'm waiting for you to continue the odu ifa oo. I want to learn about the 16 and 256 stuff you're talking about. Now I know I'm not a bastard, I gats to follow my tradition and philosophy to know who I am and what lie ahead of me Till death come calling.

2 Likes

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 1:10pm On Jul 26, 2016
IFA DIVINATION PROCESS

The cowries used for divination are called Owo ero, which is different than the cowries that were once used as money which are called Owo eyo.

The flat mat traditionally used as a surface for casting the shells is called ate. The pieces of bone and stone used to determine the orientation of the Odu are called igbo.

Throw once to get the primary Odu and once to determine the orientation of the Odu. Selection of the right hand is indicated if the second
throw is either; Eji Ogbe, Ofun, Irosun, Ogunda, Eji Oko, Okanran or Ejila Sebora.

These are the senior Odu in the above listed sequence.

If Owonrin, Osa, Odi, Obara or Ose appears on the second throw a third throw is required. If the third Odu is either Owonrin, Osa, Odi, Obara or Ose the right hand is selected.

If Eji Ogbe, Ogun, Irosun, Ogunda, Eji Oko, Okanran or Ejila Sebora appears on the third throw the left hand is selected.

If Ika, Oturupon, Ofun Kanran, Irete or Opria on the second throw the issue of orientation is in the balance and cannot be determined.

IFA DIVINATION ORATORY

Ifa Divination Oratory refers to the question of whether or not the Odu comes with ire or ibi. In simple terms, ire suggests that the good fortune indicated in the Odu is likely to occur, and ibi suggests that good fortune can occur if the proper spiritual work is performed.

The method for determining orientation is the selection of igbo. Those who cast Ifa have a collection of implements that are given to the person who has come to consult Ifa.

The igbo for ire is usually a cowry shell and in some regions it is two or more cowries tied together. The igbo for ibi is usually the bone of a goat.

Before handing the igbo to the person the diviner will take the igbo for ire and touch it to each of the cowries on the mat that are face up.

As this is being done the diviner will call the Odu that has been thrown followed by the phrase; "fun ire, to." For example if eight shells are face up the diviner will say; "Eji Ogbe fun ire, to." As the word to is spoken, breath on the igbo being used for ire.

The igbo is then placed on the right side of the mat. The diviner then takes the igbo for ibi and says; "O te o, to." As the word to is spoken, breath on the igbo designated for ibi.

The Odu is not called prior to the words; "O te o." This phrase simply means the other possibility and is spoken of in this manner so that the diviner does not invoke ibi.

The igbo for ibi is touched to each of the shells on the mat that have fallen face up. Both igbo are then picked up in the hands of the diviner
who does not shuffle them in anyway.

Both implements are dropped into the cupped hands of the person who has come for divination. Once the orientation has been determined it is possible to gain deeper insight into the nature of the orientation through further use of igbo.

Most of Odu have at least one verse that speaks of the blessings of long life, children, and money.

When ire is confirmed it is customary to ask igbo to identify the nature of the ire. This is done by using the same system as used for determining the orientation itself.

The Awo will ask igbo to confirm ire aiku (long life), ire aje (abundance), ire okunrin (husband), ire obinrin (wife), ire omo (children) When the answer to all these questions is no it is assumed that all the blessings are being granted.

When ibi is confirmed it is customary to ask igbo to identify the nature of the ibi. Again this is done by using the same system as used for determining the orientation itself.

The Awo will ask igbo confirm iku (death), arun (illness), ofo (loss), ija (fight) and oran (court case). Each of these forms of ire and Ibi are considered aspects of Esu and they all have spiritual form as roads of the Trickster.

This is one of the reasons why Esu is always feed first when marking Ebo because his emissaries are the key to both the orientation and when necessary the need to change the orientation.

Kindly overlook grammatical errors, feel free to correct my translations. The most important thing is that the message was conveyed to you and you understood it.

Hope you enjoyed the teaching? Drop your comments, thank you

4 Likes

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Rossikk(m): 2:37pm On Jul 26, 2016
op, as an avid reader of Comparative History, I can easily see the similarities between IFA rites and Ancient Egyptian/Nubian religious practices. What is the consensus in IFA regarding those connections or similarities? What do its wisest priests say about it?

2 Likes

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 1:46pm On Jul 29, 2016
Rossikk:
op, as an avid reader of Comparative History, I can easily see the similarities between IFA rites and Ancient Egyptian/Nubian religious practices. What is the consensus in IFA regarding those connections or similarities? What do its wisest priests say about it?

The Yoruba history begins with the migration of an east African population across the Trans African route leading from Mid Nile river area to the Mid Niger. Archaeologists discovered that the Nigerian region was inhabited more than forty thousand years ago or as far back as 65,000 BC.

During this period, the Nok culture occupied the region. The Nok culture was visited by the Yoruba people between 2000BC and 500BC. This group of people was led, according to Yoruba historical accounts by king Oduduwa who settled peacefully in the already established Ile-Ife, the sacred city of the indigenous Nok people.

This time period is known as the Bronze Age, a time of high civilization of both of these groups. The Yoruba, during antiquity, lived in ancient Egypt before migrating to the Atlantic coast.

The Ekiti section of the Yorubas migrated to their present area around 638AD when the Muslims took over Egypt and forced some of the Yoruba people to migrate to their present area.

So, we see that the Yoruba did not come in one migration, but in many different migrations. The first possible migration might be connected with the Hyksos invasion.
Some words in the Yoruban vocabulary echo the words used in Egypt in predynastic times and in the early dynastic periods. Some Egyptian gods of this period have strong identities with Yoruban deities.

Words used in both Egypt and Yoruba:

Adumu "a water god" Adumu "a water god"

Ausar "Ausa"

Beru "force of emotion" Beru "fear"

Bu bi "evil place" Bubi "evil place"

Edjo "cobra" Edjo "cobra"

Enru "fear / terrible" Eru "fear / terrible"

Fa "carry) Fa "pull"

Fare "wrap" Fari "wrap"

Feh "to go away" Feh "to blow away"

Ged "to chant" Igede "a chant"

Hepi "a water god" Ipi "a water god"

Horise "Orise"

Ka "rest" Ka "rest / tired"

Kaf "pluck" Ka "pluck"

Kom "complete" Kon "complete"

Khu "to kill" Ku "die"

Ma "to know" Ma "to know"

Mu "water" Mu "drink water"

Omi "water" Omi "water"

Oni "title of Osiris" Oni "title of the king of Ife"

Osa "time / tide" Osa "time / tide"

Osiri "a water god" Oshiri "a water god"

Pa "open" Pa "break open"

Po "many" Po "many / cheap"

Sami "water god" Sami "a water god"

Sen "group of worshippers" Sen "to worship"

Shekiri "water god" Shekiri "a water god"

Ta "sell / offer" Ta "sell / offer"

Tebu "a town" Tebu "a town"

Unas "lake of fire" Una "fire"

More than fifty percent of the Yoruboid vocabulary of today can be deduced either directly or indirectly from the ancient Egyptian. These are the original ancient Egyptian language devoid of Arab and Latin words that are very few in the Yoruboid vocabulary

It is not really certain when king Oduduwa came from Egypt. He must have come in one of the many migrations. But since the Yoruba religious discourse has a lot of identities with Egyptian, Oduduwa would have left Egypt at a very early period perhaps after the Hyksos invasion of 2000-1500BC but not later than 30BC.

It should be noted that Abraham "the Arab patriarch of the Jews" learnt circumcision from Hagar, his Egyptian slave wife, whence the custom spread to the Jews.

The towns of ancient Egypt: On (Annu) or Heliopolis, Hermonthis, Dendera, Tebu...etc were developed by Annu, the pre-dynastic blacks of Egypt. Skeletons of the Negro Annu were ubiquitous in ancient Egypt...

Mene, the first pharaoh of the first dynasty, sometimes identified with the God-man Osiris (A black forerunner of Christ) was a Blackman. Zoser, Sesostris, Amenhopis, Khufu, Menthuhotep, Queen Amuses, Nefertari...etc were also all Negroes.

Kindly overlook grammatical errors, feel free to correct my translations. The most important thing is that the message was conveyed to you and you understood it.

Hope I answered your questions? Thank you

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Zenlife: 5:49pm On Sep 25, 2016
Phone# please, or whatsapp if you will.

Do you provide divination services?

If so, cost?
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 9:09am On Sep 26, 2016
Divination is the most important service of a Babalawo and a true babalawo offers divination ranging from Ifa divination, Osun divination, Olokun divination, Ihan divination, Obi divination, Third Eye divination, Water divination, Fire divination, Air divination.......

YES I offer face-to-face divination and remote divination. My face-to-face divination and remote divination are very accurate

For divination fee and inquires? E-mail or call me ~ http://nativedoctor.ml/

Zenlife:
Phone# please, or whatsapp if you will.

Do you provide divination services?

If so, cost?

1 Like

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Zenlife: 8:02am On Oct 02, 2016
Babalawos:
Divination is the most important service of a Babalawo and a true babalawo offers divination ranging from Ifa divination, Osun divination, Olokun divination, Ihan divination, Obi divination, Third Eye divination, Water divination, Fire divination, Air divination.......

YES I offer face-to-face divination and remote divination. My face-to-face divination and remote divination are very accurate

For divination fee and inquires? E-mail or call me ~ http://nativedoctor.ml/

You still haven't responded to my email regarding divination.
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Zenlife: 9:01pm On Oct 04, 2016
Zenlife:

You still haven't responded to my email regarding divination.

And still haven't responded after 1 week with reminders.

Are you for real?
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 6:07am On Oct 05, 2016
If I have not responded to your email after 1 week, it is obvious your email questions were off topic and I will advise you call me because I do not reply irrelevant emails. Alternative; you can contact another babalawo. Thank you

Zenlife:

And still haven't responded after 1 week with reminders.

Are you for real?

1 Like

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Zenlife: 2:23pm On Oct 05, 2016
Babalawos:
If I have not responded to your email after 1 week, it is obvious your email questions were off topic and I will advise you call me because I do not reply irrelevant emails. Alternative; you can contact another babalawo. Thank you

Addressed to nativedoctor@gmail.com
Will a divination request be considered irrelevant?
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 3:22am On Oct 07, 2016
That is a wrong e-mail address and that is certainly not my e-mail address. Cross check my email address here ~ http://nativedoctor.ml

Zenlife:

Addressed to nativedoctor@gmail.com
Will a divination request be considered irrelevant?
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Kenshinmunac(m): 8:59pm On Jan 24, 2017
Babalawos:

Don't be deceived by Christians. IFÁ and the DIVINITIES are NOT connected to Christianity

Finally a true traditionalist I have been looking for. Please who exactly is olodumare in yoruba? Is it the christian god?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by iPopAlomo(m): 11:10pm On Mar 03, 2017
Babalawos:

The Yoruba history begins with the migration of an east African population across the Trans African route leading from Mid Nile river area to the Mid Niger. Archaeologists discovered that the Nigerian region was inhabited more than forty thousand years ago or as far back as 65,000 BC.

During this period, the Nok culture occupied the region. The Nok culture was visited by the Yoruba people between 2000BC and 500BC. This group of people was led, according to Yoruba historical accounts by king Oduduwa who settled peacefully in the already established Ile-Ife, the sacred city of the indigenous Nok people.

This time period is known as the Bronze Age, a time of high civilization of both of these groups. The Yoruba, during antiquity, lived in ancient Egypt before migrating to the Atlantic coast.

The Ekiti section of the Yorubas migrated to their present area around 638AD when the Muslims took over Egypt and forced some of the Yoruba people to migrate to their present area.

So, we see that the Yoruba did not come in one migration, but in many different migrations. The first possible migration might be connected with the Hyksos invasion.
Some words in the Yoruban vocabulary echo the words used in Egypt in predynastic times and in the early dynastic periods. Some Egyptian gods of this period have strong identities with Yoruban deities.

Ausar "Ausa"

Fa "carry) Fa "pull"

Fare "wrap" Fari "wrap"

Horise "Orise"

Kaf "pluck" Ka "pluck"

Khu "to kill" Ku "die"

Omi "water" Omi "water"

More than fifty percent of the Yoruboid vocabulary of today can be deduced either directly or indirectly from the ancient Egyptian. These are the original ancient Egyptian language devoid of Arab and Latin words that are very few in the Yoruboid vocabulary

It is not really certain when king Oduduwa came from Egypt. He must have come in one of the many migrations. But since the Yoruba religious discourse has a lot of identities with Egyptian, Oduduwa would have left Egypt at a very early period perhaps after the Hyksos invasion of 2000-1500BC but not later than 30BC.

It should be noted that Abraham "the Arab patriarch of the Jews" learnt circumcision from Hagar, his Egyptian slave wife, whence the custom spread to the Jews.

The towns of ancient Egypt: On (Annu) or Heliopolis, Hermonthis, Dendera, Tebu...etc were developed by Annu, the pre-dynastic blacks of Egypt. Skeletons of the Negro Annu were ubiquitous in ancient Egypt...

Mene, the first pharaoh of the first dynasty, sometimes identified with the God-man Osiris (A black forerunner of Christ) was a Blackman. Zoser, Sesostris, Amenhopis, Khufu, Menthuhotep, Queen Amuses, Nefertari...etc were also all Negroes.

You're good!!!

You're really good...

1 Like

Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by Babalawos(m): 8:40am On Mar 04, 2017
Thank you

iPopAlomo:

You're good!!!

You're really good...
Re: Ifa Divination ~ How To Consult Ifa by AlphaJazz: 8:54am On Jun 22, 2021
Babalawos:

Ausar "Ausa"

Fa "carry) Fa "pull"

Fare "wrap" Fari "wrap"

Horise "Orise"

Kaf "pluck" Ka "pluck"

Khu "to kill" Ku "die"

Omi "water" Omi "water"

Cool stuff!

(1) (Reply)

Is It Right For Christians To Eat Sallah Meat? / Nasarawa Mysterious Cross Near Mosque-photos / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.