Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,846 members, 7,806,394 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

How Long Was The First Day Of Creation - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Long Was The First Day Of Creation (2905 Views)

Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. / African/blackroots Science Religion. Science Of Creation. / Complete Story Of Creation: When did god create hell fire ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 5:24am On Sep 17, 2009
[quote="Genesis 1:5"]And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a first day.[/quote]
[quote="Genesis 1:8"]And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a second day.[/quote]
[quote="Genesis 1:13"]And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a third day.[/quote]

Without the sun how long was the first day or creation ? How did  this god character  distinguish between evening and morning without the sun ?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by tundejayz: 5:26am On Sep 17, 2009
do you know that i wanted to ask this same question at my church RCCG alagomeji last sunday?na wah oh,
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 5:36am On Sep 17, 2009
This is the question which led me to atheism. Because if the bible is wrong about where we are coming from why should l trust it about where we are going ?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Nobody: 5:49am On Sep 17, 2009
@ Confused Atheist

You rush to Atheism because you "literally" translated the Genesis account in "days". You will be shocked at the revelation of the true story, and i bet you would feel like a fool for embracing Atheism.

*rushes to get a bible and starts writing*
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 6:03am On Sep 17, 2009
@ Babaearly

How else can you translate the Genesis story ? BTW as Genesis clearly pointed out a day consists of evening and morning. There is only one to interpret the Genesis story and that is literally
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mantraa: 10:04am On Sep 17, 2009
Many christians believe in the literal interpretation that one day is a 24 hour day period so the universe was created 6000 years ago in six 24 hour days.

This is Ken Ham's 27 million dollar creation museum in kentuky which was opened in 2007 which supports this view;
http://creationmuseum.org/about/

Bishop Ussher and the date of creation ( from Answers in Genisis).
http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/am/v1/n1/world-born-4004-bc

Some christians believe that a day is 1000 years, so the universe was created in 6000 years. There is no evidence to support this.
Some interpret a day to mean 1 million years, so the universe was created in 6 million years. There is also no evidence to support this.
Others even go so far to say that a day was a billion years! 
This would mean that humans have been on this planet for billions of years. There is also no evidence to support this.

The only rational explanation is that the creation story in genesis was written by people who knew nothing about their origins or the heliocentric nature of our solar system. We now know that one day is caused by the time it takes for the earth to rotate once on its axis (24 hrs). Imagine if a day lasted a thousand years, The side facing the sun would be totally roasted and the side in darkness would be completely frozen. The centripedal forces, tidal forces atmospheric pressures, etc etc would be totally different to what we see today and intolerable to human life.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mantraa: 10:19am On Sep 17, 2009
Bishop Ussher's timeline chart of creation

Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 10:27am On Sep 17, 2009
^^^

This na young earth creationist time line abi na wetin. . .  grin grin. . . .The confusion never ends. . . .
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by tundejayz: 1:51pm On Sep 17, 2009
please dont argue here ,please answer the question,i am a christian and a rccg memeber too,the question says

Quote from: Genesis 1:5
And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a first day.
Quote from: Genesis 1:8
And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a second day.
Quote from: Genesis 1:13
And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a third day.

explain please
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by DeepSight(m): 7:02pm On Sep 17, 2009
@ Poster -

Thanks for your curiousity.

Without scolding you, i must say for the umpteenth time that i am amazed at the hollow interpretations that people attempt to ascribe to things.

Before proceeding, let me make clear that i am neither christian nor muslim, so do not accuse me of bias.

However the Creation Account in Genesis is a simple and and very probable account. Mind you, the sequence of creation as narrated therein is in consonance with evolutionary evidence of the sequence of development of living things, and is also a story that is repeated with staggering precision in thousands of native myths of ancient peoples scattered around the world, apparently one unrelated to the other.

The Account talks of days. It mentions days even before mentioning the sun or moon. This in itself makes it apparent that these are not days as understood by we earthlings.

I am not here to make any of the arguments that people have made - that it refers to 1000 years, 1 million years or any specific period for that matter.

What should be apparent to you is that the active personage within the account is said to be God, a supernatural being, and for this reason the days must refer to whatever HIS conception of days are within HIS own INCOMPREHENSIBLE Divine context. It could be that this refers to divine acts or anything else which we may not understand - but they are HIS days and not earthly days - that should be the key understanding.

So please don't talk about the sun and moon, that is just too simplistic a way to read text which is supposed to be primarily supernatural in nature.

If you ask me, that's a very poor reason to become an atheist. I do hope you are conversant with the correct definition of the word "Atheist" at all events. Because an Atheist is one who positively denies the existence of God, not one who merely finds religion, or any religion, to be incorrect.

Finally, if you read carefully Genesis 1:1 - 5, you may see signs that the first words refer to a spiritual creation and not this physical universe. The physical creation only kicks in from Verse 6. Check it out
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mantraa: 7:38pm On Sep 17, 2009
12-14 billion years ago god created the Universe
5 billion years ago he started with our Earth
3 million years ago he started with humankind
150,000 years ago he started with the current version of humankind
5,000 years ago he revealed himself to humankind (so they say)
And for only 2,000 years he has been able to "enjoy" Christian people
On a timescale of the Universe (100 percent):
the Earth has existed for 42 percent of the time
Apeman existed since 0.025 percent of the time
Humankind itself has existed for 0.00125 percent of the time
The Christian faith has existed for 0.000042 percent of the time (rounded upwards)
The time God has been able to enjoy Christian people is 0.000017 percent (rounded upwards).
Thus, god has, for 99,999982 percent of time (rounded downwards = 1,199,999,784,000 years), been bored, has done nothing. He has been waiting for us, only to leave us behind "alone" once again. Why? For eating an apple, that's why! I know time is nothing to God, but this is preposterous.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 8:20pm On Sep 17, 2009
Deep Sight:

@ Poster -

Thanks for your curiousity.

Without scolding you, i must say for the umpteenth time that i am amazed at the hollow interpretations that people attempt to ascribe to things.

Before proceeding, let me make clear that i am neither christian nor muslim, so do not accuse me of bias.

However the Creation Account in Genesis is a simple and and very probable account. Mind you, the sequence of creation as narrated therein is in consonance with evolutionary evidence of the sequence of development of living things, and is also a story that is repeated with staggering precision in thousands of native myths of ancient peoples scattered around the world, apparently one unrelated to the other.

The Account talks of days. It mentions days even before mentioning the sun or moon. This in itself makes it apparent that these are not days as understood by we earthlings.

I am not here to make any of the arguments that people have made - that it refers to 1000 years, 1 million years or any specific period for that matter.

What should be apparent to you is that the active personage within the account is said to be God, a supernatural being, and for this reason the days must refer to whatever HIS conception of days are within HIS own INCOMPREHENSIBLE Divine context. It could be that this refers to divine acts or anything else which we may not understand - but they are HIS days and not earthly days - that should be the key understanding.

So please don't talk about the sun and moon, that is just too simplistic a way to read text which is supposed to be primarily supernatural in nature.

If you ask me, that's a very poor reason to become an atheist. I do hope you are conversant with the correct definition of the word "Atheist" at all events. Because an Atheist is one who positively denies the existence of God, not one who merely finds religion, or any religion, to be incorrect.

Finally, if you read carefully Genesis 1:1 - 5, you may see signs that the first words refer to a spiritual creation and not this physical universe. The physical creation only kicks in from Verse 6. Check it out

You say you are not a christians or a jew but you are now taking time to explain the christian/jewish creation myth. . . Using Prahes like "His conception of days are within HIS own INCOMPREHENSIBLE Divine context."

You claim not to believe in christianity or judaism when then hold onto their creation myth? Does you own god not have his own creation story or must you hang unto the creation stories of other gods?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 9:53pm On Sep 17, 2009
@DeepSight

Genesis clearly says a day consisted of a evening and morning. Don't try to be a spin doctor. BTW why would God communicate to us in language which is that vague ?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Nobody: 9:55pm On Sep 17, 2009
Atheists:

Without the sun how long was the first day or creation ? How did  this god character  distinguish between evening and morning without the sun ?

If he is the creator then it makes no sense to ask him how he distinguished between evening and sun. Its just like asking the inventor of the aircraft how he distinguished between the wings and fuselage just before he built the first plane.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by KAG: 11:29pm On Sep 17, 2009
Atheists:

You're reading the story wrong. It's meant to be an allegory.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by tundejayz: 11:35pm On Sep 17, 2009
athesim is not the best religion after christian,you can try being a muslim,hindusm or other religions,you can even choose satanism .look come to RCCG just opposite kingstone joe,my pastor has all answers to your question,you better stop all of this except you want to die soon and i am not jokin ,do you have the right to question God ?you just think you are smart and tough but you are wrong,
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 11:35pm On Sep 17, 2009
KAG:

You're reading the story wrong. It's meant to be an allegory.

That is what mordern day jews and christians say. . but I don't think that's what the people that wrote it meant. . .The people that wrote it never meant for it to be an allegory. . .there are still many christians and jews that still believe in its literal translation. . .
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 11:37pm On Sep 17, 2009
tundejayz:

athesim is not the best religion after christian,you can try being a muslim,hindusm or other religions,you can even choose satanism .look come to RCCG just opposite kingstone joe,my pastor has all answers to your question,you better stop all of this except you want to die soon and i am not jokin ,do you have the right to question God ?you just think you are smart and  tough but you are wrong,

Thanks for letting us know that fear in imaginary myths is what rules your life. . next. . .
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by tundejayz: 11:42pm On Sep 17, 2009
you need deliverance ,lol
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 11:49pm On Sep 17, 2009
tundejayz:

you need deliverance ,lol

More mythical dogma. . . next. . . .
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by tundejayz: 11:57pm On Sep 17, 2009
ha ha i am small god ha ha ha ha
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 11:58pm On Sep 17, 2009
tundejayz:

ha ha i am small god ha ha ha ha

Nice to know. . . . wink
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by kolaxy(m): 12:22am On Sep 18, 2009
@ Deep Sight,

Honestly I'm surprised/amazed at the way you interpreted the creation above.Honestly,I cant add or remove anything to that as a christian but that's my own submission.Thanks.Jesus loves you wink
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 12:32am On Sep 18, 2009
kolaxy:

@ Deep Sight,

Honestly I'm surprised/amazed at the way you interpreted the creation above.[b]Honestly,I cant add or remove anything to that as a christian but that's my own submission.[/b]Thanks.Jesus loves you wink

Do you believe in the creation story becauise it is true factual and accurate or do you believe it because you want it to be the truth?. . . .
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by KAG: 3:00am On Sep 18, 2009
mazaje:

That is what mordern day jews and christians say. . but I don't think that's what the people that wrote it meant. . .The people that wrote it never meant for it to be an allegory. . .there are still many christians and jews that still believe in its literal translation. . .

I disagree. From what I understand, the creation accounts were originally written and presented in a poetic form that inclines one to read them as a mythos created to challenge the creation accounts (i.e. also allegories) of the Jews neighbours. The focus of the Genesis myths weren't to give an historical account but to edify the god(s) of the Israelites or whatever they were at the time. They were often read as in that way.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 7:58am On Sep 18, 2009
KAG:

I disagree. From what I understand, the creation accounts were originally written and presented in a poetic form that inclines one to read them as a mythos created to challenge the creation accounts (i.e. also allegories) of the Jews neighbours. The focus of the Genesis myths weren't to give an historical account but to edify the god(s) of the Israelites or whatever they were at the time. They were often read as in that way.

I have seen so may rabbi's say this. . .they even laugh at people that say it is supposed to be taken literally. . . .But I still disagree with their position based on the fact that so many people believe in its literal translation. . .
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Krayola2(m): 9:55am On Sep 18, 2009
Mazaje, i think u are guilty of overgeneralizing. U keep lumping all Christians n a box, all Muslims in a box, all Jews in a box, etc. Not every one is a fundamentalist, u know?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 7:13am On Sep 20, 2009
This is the question which led me to atheism. Because if the bible is wrong about where we are coming from why should l trust it about where we are going ?

What does the absence of the sun on the first day of creation have to do with each day being 24 hours long? The sun didn't make the day. God did. The sun as an created entity itself was given to help us measure the day, among its varied purposes.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 20, 2009
Atheists:

Genesis 1

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

4 God saw that the[b] light[/b] was good, and He separated the light from the darkness.

5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day

I dont know what your understanding of[b] light[/b] is?

Neither am I sure of your comprehension skills?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Tudor6(f): 8:02am On Sep 20, 2009
Krayola2:

Mazaje, i think u are guilty of overgeneralizing. U keep lumping all Christians n a box, all Muslims in a box, all Jews in a box, etc. Not every one is a fundamentalist, u know?
Box, carton or plate e no matter!
Whether literal or not literal no one cares. . . . The main thing is the ridiculous creation story is a MYTH therefore all LIES!
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by petres007(m): 4:28pm On Sep 20, 2009
Bobbyaf:

What does the absence of the sun on the first day of creation have to do with each day being 24 hours long? The sun didn't make the day. God did. [/b]The sun as an created entity itself was given to help us measure the day, among its varied purposes.

[b]GBAM!
  grin

tpia.:

Genesis 1

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

4 God saw that the[b] light[/b] was good, and He separated the light from the darkness.

5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day

I dont know what your understanding of[b] light[/b] is?

Neither am I sure of your comprehension skills?

Another resounding GBAM! grin
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 6:50pm On Sep 20, 2009
What does the absence of the sun on the first day of creation have to do with each day being 24 hours long? The sun didn't make the day. God did. The sun as an created entity itself was given to help us measure the day, among its varied purposes.

This is bound to happen when you use the bible as a science textbook. I can't even argue against this kind of stupidity.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Will The Jews Accept Jesus? / City Of Glory Redemtion Ministries Senior Pastor Apostle Esosa Emuze Dead!! / Is It Not Prudent To Do Away With Doctrins That Are In Conflict With Bible ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.