Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,600 members, 7,801,727 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:15 PM

Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At (1443 Views)

Nigerians Divided Over Proscription Of IPOB / Nigeria Moves To Establish National Guard / Senate Rejects Tinubu's Bill Seeking Special Grants For Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by kodine: 5:07pm On Jul 25, 2016
ABUJA—AHEAD of the establishment of the proposed Nigeria Peace Corps, the Senate has given President Muhammadu Buhari the power to hire and fire the National Commandant General of the corps. Senators are, however, divided over an aspect of its general principles which proposes that only the President can nominate the national commandant of the corps and forward same to the Senate for confirmation. The Senate has also recommended seven years imprisonment or a fine of N100,000 for erring staff of the corps when it finally becomes a new legally-backed organisation by the Federal Government. The recommendations of the Senate were sequel to a report by the Committee on Interior on a bill for the creation of National Peace Corps. Presenting the report in Abuja,weekend, acting chairman of Senate Committee on Interior, Senator Bayero Nafada, said the national commandant of the corps would be answerable to the President and not the Senate as canvassed by the lawmakers. Prior to the presentation of the report, lawmakers, who opposed the proposal of the committee have, however, insisted that the national commandant of the corps should be answerable to the President and not the Senate as proposed by lawmakers. Senators had argued during the earlier debate on the general principles of the proposed law, that the President could only nominate national commandant of the corps and forward same to the Senate for confirmation . In his presentation of the report, Senator Nafada said the Bill for an Act to establish the Nigerian Peace Corps would empower, develop and provide employment for the youths, as well as help facilitate peace and community services as that would give legal backing to the already existing corps nation wide. According to him, when established, besides ensuring peace in the country, it would provide alternative employment for the youths, community development services and nation building. The House of Representatives had earlier passed the bill . The two legislative houses are, however, expected to raise a conference committee to harmonize their differences, if any before it can be forwarded to President Buhari for assent.
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by kodine: 5:09pm On Jul 25, 2016
Dis will create more jobs....FTC
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by Supersuave2(m): 5:13pm On Jul 25, 2016
peace corps ti dobe sha

1 Like

Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by obiageIi(f): 5:23pm On Jul 25, 2016
Creating another nonsense while struggling to pay salaries.

1 Like

Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by Chimarto: 5:31pm On Jul 25, 2016
Rubbish. Very soon they will be like Nigeria police
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by menxer: 5:36pm On Jul 25, 2016
So the Senate President wants to answer the Commander-in-chief of Armed Corps? Smh

Anyways job creation is in order.
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by kodine: 5:38pm On Jul 25, 2016
obiageIi:
Creating another nonsense while struggling to pay salaries.
madam try and get the form....tinz will be fine soon in niaja.
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by obiageIi(f): 5:42pm On Jul 25, 2016
kodine:
madam try and get the form....tinz will be fine soon in niaja.
Commandant General form?
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by kodine: 5:52pm On Jul 25, 2016
obiageIi:

Commandant General form?
I meam the peace corps form....fill it amd sumit in ur state....den pray along for president to sign it on time.
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by Hammefeez: 5:54pm On Jul 25, 2016
I heard from someone that, the house is only "RECOGNIZING" them in the Nigeria constitution as a corp and therefore allow any private organization or government own institution/agency to hire them.

They are not going to recieve salary under government.
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by kuuljay(m): 5:55pm On Jul 25, 2016
Smart job hunters will get the form immediately, my sister was given civil defence Job with two stars and posted to taraba she rejected it,after two months Govt absorbed it she went back and begged to be given even one star and wouldn't mind being posted to Maiduguri. For wiah!!!!
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by seunmsg(m): 6:05pm On Jul 25, 2016
Why do we like duplicating agencies in this country? We already have the Nigeria police and the civil defence corps, why do we need another national peace corps?

We should be thinking about merging most of the current agencies with overlapping duties and not creating more for the fun of it.
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by kodine: 6:07pm On Jul 25, 2016
Hammefeez:
I heard from someone that, the house is only "RECOGNIZING" them in the Nigeria constitution as a corp and therefore allow any private organization or government own institution/agency to hire them.

They are not going to recieve salary under government.
my guy..hv bim folowing the proceedings in the senate....they will be under interior...last sitting it was the police and civil.defense dat was against it...but I kno soonest..it will be signed into law....civil defense went tru such...but today...civil defense job na.hot cake....peace corps will be under interior minitry
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by kodine: 6:09pm On Jul 25, 2016
kuuljay:
Smart job hunters will get the form immediately, my sister was given civil defence Job with two stars and posted to taraba she rejected it,after two months Govt absorbed it she went back and begged to be given even one star and wouldn't mind being posted to Maiduguri. For wiah!!!!
in the 80s.. federal road safty started like dis....so.as civil.defense early 90s....nobodi can tell oo....peace corp has scale second reading...no dull urself
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by Hammefeez: 6:11pm On Jul 25, 2016
kodine:
my guy..hv bim folowing the proceedings in the senate....they will be under interior...last sitting it was the police and civil.defense dat was against it...but I kno soonest..it will be signed into law....civil defense went tru such...but today...civil defense job na.hot cake....peace corps will be under interior minitry

alright, may God help you guys sha.

My advice: Don't spend too much money on it.
Re: Senate Divided Over Bill Seeking To Establish National Peace Corps Read More At by kuuljay(m): 6:13pm On Jul 25, 2016
kodine:
in the 80s.. federal road safty started like dis....so.as civil.defense early 90s....nobodi can tell oo....peace corp has scale second reading...no dull urself
nah!!! Me don work tire sef,thinking of retiring

(1) (Reply)

Buhari's Edo Campaign Visit,issues Arising. / Rivers Rerun: "God Wike Is Just A Thug, He Will Fail In Ogoniland" ~ Amaechi / Inflation Rate Becoming Unbearable, Says Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.