Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

How To Treat Your New Puppy - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / How To Treat Your New Puppy (985 Views)

Petlanders .... Say Hello To My New Puppy.. Pet Dog... / Got Myself A New Puppy Today / Say Hello To My New Puppy (cookie Baby) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Treat Your New Puppy by DogLover24(f): 8:06pm On Jul 25, 2016
http://wooflinepets.com/2016/07/24/how-to-treat-your-new-puppy/

The idea of having a puppy and starting your ‘pet-parenting’ journey can be very exciting, your thoughts are usually focused on how cute the puppy is, how you get to play with it and so on. People very rarely remember that puppies also whine, chew on stuff, poop and pee on carpets. Eventually when the deed gets done reality sets in, it isn’t as easy and rosy as you expected.

The first nights are usually the toughest for the puppy and his owner, just like babies animals experience separation anxiety. On his first night away from his mother and litter-mates, a pup is most likely to cry the night through. One way to deal with this is to remember that your new friend is less likely to cry and whine if he doesn’t feel isolated. When we have a new pup in the house, and he starts to whine, either I or my sister take him to our room and the crying stops. However as the puppy grows and gets adapted to his new environment, it is best to train him accept isolation and accustom him to being left by himself.

When picking up your pup from the breeder it’s important to remember to also collect his vaccination papers, so that you know all the shots he’s been given and the ones he’s yet to receive. One of the most important things to do is finding a good vet, it’s good to get your dog comfortable at the vet’s at an early stage. At the vet’s your new pooch will get necessarily vaccinations depending on his age of course, remember to request for him to be micro-chipped. In Nigeria getting a good Veterinary hospital can be a challenge, if you need help with this I will be happy to recommend.

How many times should he be feed? Puppies should be fed three to four times a day. At around six months you may start feeding twice a day for convenience. You may feed him protein rich meals like shredded beef, fish (ensure are you remove all the fish bone, failure to do so could kill your dog) and eggs or you could just get some puppy food at a pet store.

Lastly, as you begin to train your puppy remember to encourage good behaviour and ignore bad ones. Avoid using physical punishment, asides from the fact that you could injure your dog , Studies have shown that physically punishing your puppy actually increases aggression. You can find more information on how to disciple your puppy here .

If you have a new pup you may share his pictures by tagging @wooflinepets on Instagram and it could be posted here.

READ SIMILAR POSTS HERE

http://wooflinepets.com/2016/07/24/how-to-treat-your-new-puppy/

http://wooflinepets.com/2016/06/30/swimmer-puppy-syndrome/

Re: How To Treat Your New Puppy by Flexherbal(m): 8:09pm On Jul 25, 2016
Good one!
Re: How To Treat Your New Puppy by hakinze00(m): 8:37pm On Jul 25, 2016
Thanks 4 d info,I am about getting a female rot pup,can u give me list of recommended food to give it nd also will like to know d vet hospital u want to recommend
Re: How To Treat Your New Puppy by DogLover24(f): 12:06am On Jul 26, 2016
Flexherbal:
Good one!

Thank you!
Re: How To Treat Your New Puppy by DogLover24(f): 12:08am On Jul 26, 2016
hakinze00:
Thanks 4 d info,I am about getting a female rot pup,can u give me list of recommended food to give it nd also will like to know d vet hospital u want to recommend

Oh nice. Alright i will get back to you on that via email

(1) (Reply)

A 7ft Great Dane Who Weighs The Same As A Baby Elephant / Rottweiler Puppies / Rottweiler Puppies For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.