Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,184 members, 7,807,609 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Blue Velvet And Cream Cheese Icing Cupcakes - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Blue Velvet And Cream Cheese Icing Cupcakes (1464 Views)

Cake Decor:how To Make Fondant Icing. / How To Assemble And Cover A Two Tier Cake With Icing / Red Velvet Cake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Blue Velvet And Cream Cheese Icing Cupcakes by khukhi(f): 12:50am On Jul 27, 2016
Instruments:

(Large muffin pan)
Spatula/butter knife
Fork/Whisk
Measuring jug/spoon
Piping bag

Ingredients
FOR THE CAKE:
2 cups Sugar
150g Butter, Room Temperature
2 whole Eggs
1-½ Tablespoon Liquid Blue Food Coloring
1 Tablespoon Cocoa Powder
1 drop Violet Gel Food Coloring (optional) without this the cupcakes turns dark green instead of a blue velvet colour.
2-½ cups Cake Flour
1 teaspoon Salt
1 cup Buttermilk (home made is okay)
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
½ teaspoons Baking Soda
1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
_____
FOR FROSTING:
150g Cream Cheese, Softened
100g Butter, Softened
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 cups Sifted Confectioners Sugar
1/3 teaspoon red food colouring for the pink frosting. (Without it my frosting was too yellow cause of the butter used.)

Preparation
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare cupcake pan(s) with paper liners/grease the pan.

Cake:
In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, mix until light and fluffy. Add the eggs 1 at a time and mix well after each addition. Mix cocoa and food coloring together to form a paste, and then add to sugar mixture; mix well BUT DO NOT OVER MIX. Sift together flour and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Blend in vanilla. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture.

Pour batter into cupcake papers. Batter will be thick! Fill for 3/4 of each cupcake (i used large muffin pans ). Bake for 25–30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.

Frosting:

The key is not to "over mix" or else the icing might be too runny. I HAD to add some corn maize after my icing became too runny.

In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until incorporated. Mix until light but not too fluffy. Frost the cupcakes with a butter knife or pipe it on with a big star tip. Embellish as desired.

I used a piping bag.The first few cupcakes didnt look good. Frosting is a skill. It gets better with time.

Cupcakes will be moist, and slightly dense. Exactly what you would expect from a Red Velvet Cake- gone BLUE!

The cream cheese icing is so delicious! Much better than your normal icing. TRY IT AND LET ME KNOW.

Note: You can also use 1 tablespoon of Wilton royal blue food coloring gel in place of the liquid.

Re: Blue Velvet And Cream Cheese Icing Cupcakes by mamachops(f): 6:17pm On Jul 27, 2016
Good one....now I know how to maintain the blue color..... well done
Re: Blue Velvet And Cream Cheese Icing Cupcakes by khukhi(f): 8:11pm On Jul 27, 2016
Thank you mamachops cheesy cheesy

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Akara With Vegetables / The Secret Benefits Of Black Palm Kernel Oil / Indomie Cafe: What Do You Think Of The Place

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.