Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,892 members, 7,802,875 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:31 AM

A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience (15183 Views)

Guys, I'm Thinking Of Going Into Blogging Out Of Serious Boredom? / How To Go Into Blogging Without Laptop / My Sojourn Into Blogging - A First Hand Experience For Intending Bloggers!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by folks4luv(f): 8:08am On Jul 29, 2016
brianblogmoney:

First Bro.

Nicely done on your part to create a blog.

It's a journey that teaches you a lot of lessons as you learn first hand what your doing right and what your doing wrong.

Like you I start a free WordPress blog and ran it for six months. http://palmpermtations..com

Then I switched it over to a domain. http://the-ahamefulas.com.

Why did I do that?

Not for the traffic, cos I was seeing between 5-8 visitors a day and a bounce rate of 82%

I switched because most people who came to the blog came for the information I offered.

Those 5-8 where constantly returning to the blog.

How did I know this?

I had a contact for where available for those who wanted to get in touch with me and I register with a mailer service to send them updates and new details and reply questions.

When the emails got to a hundred and I was actively engaging them frequently.

I knew I had something worth switching over to a domain for. So I went ahead and did that.

Cue today, where I have over five hundred emails and between 25-60 visitors a day.

Still not much, but when you have a bounce rate of 6% and average time on page at 4-11 minutes.

You know that your visitors are really interested in what your saying.

So what does all this mean?

I see you are a stats guy, just like me.

But you need to pay more attention to what those stats are telling you. Don't just look at the visitors but look at what the are looking at and where they are going.

This will tell you which of your content works and which doesn't.

As I said, I love free blogs like and WordPress. But it doesn't give you much in terms of tracking and monitoring your visitors activities on your site.

Also

Did you notice the way I wrote this.

Readable without making you feel the stress of content overload.

Do the same to all your posts and track your stats again, you should see some improvements.

If you can take the leap to get a domain and hosting plan, then you liked up Google analytics, search console and Bing webmaster tools to it(yes I said bing).

At least it will first make your site indexable by Google and Bing, which also helps improve site traffic by 100% I. E 5 before 10 after.

Then you can monitor what keywords people use to enter your blog and your position per per page for those keywords.

You can really improve your site visitor rates and traffic.

But it does take more than blogs and sharing.

Good luck Bro.

Oh and one more thing.

Do you spend anytime to do keywords research after you write each blog post.

Doing this will help you optimise your post for the best keywords that have high search volumes related to your posts.

Cos by doing so, you will know what people are actually searching regarding that post, plus the volume of people per month that search for that keyword.

Google "keyword planner tool" and sign in with your Google account and get started.
thanks for this, have gained a lot. but a quick question, is Google key word planner like Google analytics that is free?
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 29, 2016
hesilo:
how did u get d freelance writing engagement. I'm interested in it buh dnt knw ow 2 start.

Just advertise yourself here on Nairaland. Although i got my first contract by reaching out to someone here in Nairaland that needed a writer. He requested for a sample by giving me a topic to write on. I did and he was really thrilled lol.

Am still writing for him till now and he kept paying me weekly. He runs a blog and needs daily article which am deriving joy providing.
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Glossyclick(m): 8:13am On Jul 29, 2016
It's really interesting, but am gonna advice u to meet any of ur friends who have high skills in blogging to help arrange and re-modify it. As for traffics hmmm, its not an easy task but you know it's one step at a time.

Glossyclick.com

2 Likes

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by brianblogmoney(m): 8:42am On Jul 29, 2016
folks4luv:

thanks for this, have gained a lot. but a quick question, is Google key word planner like Google analytics that is free?

Totally free Bro.
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Princepoint(m): 8:51am On Jul 29, 2016
nichie and bloggers
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by beautyerhu86(f): 8:57am On Jul 29, 2016
macquis:
My names are Macquis Michelangelo Udochukwu and am a music Blogger.
Blarckbillboard a blog I started with the assistance of a friend and partner (Joshua) came into being on the 11th day of June 2016. In other words, the blog is barely two months old.

Being a music addict and a lover of literature I carefully thought of inventing a channel through which I could connect with music lovers as myself and most importantly contribute my quota to the growth of the Nigerian music industry. At that period in time in the year 2014 I conceived the whole music blogging idea. Though the idea of starting a music blog had been birthed in the year 2014, I never considered materializing the idea until after my service year in 2016.

My blogging experience so far ?

Blogging is quite difficult and time consuming, except you are nothing more than a plagiarist blogger.
Considering my blogging nitch the stress and difficulty is even doubled. Blarckbillboard most importantly deals with music news and reviews, and you will agree with me that the music industry both locally and internationally is always buzzing with one news update or the other.

Understanding the way things work in the media and blogosphere, the experienced news blogger strives to have a particular breaking news published on his/her blog first. If the news is hot enough, with adequate promotion of the blog post it could fetch the blog a lot of traffic. So I’ve had to constantly source for hot music news, rewrite them before publishing; write a detailed review on a new hit single; announce an upcoming music event and above all promote my blog posts on every available social media. Consequently, I’ve had to blog everyday, either in the sense of writing a new post or promoting one of my already published blog post, in other to make my baby-blog relevant to readers.

I recall nights when I’ve had to sleep for just 2 hrs owing to my sourcing for fresh music news to publish on the blog, and during the day spending long hours in a particular sitting position rewriting or typing a new post. The few hours I put into sleeping and relaxing my body both during the day and night began to take its toll on me as I fell ill few weeks into blogging. But my broken body wasn’t going to discourage me from pressing on. Even when the daily results I got paled in comparison to the hardwork and dedication I was putting into blogging.

Is my Blog being Successful ?

According to one source: “There are more than 164 million blogs… Most of these blogs get less than 1,000 visitors per month, and the harsh reality is, the majority of those blogs are, for lack of a better word, failures”.

Well, judging my blog’s success in the light of
Linda ikeji’s blog success from a traffic perspective would definitely spark up depression within me and kill my blogging drive, so I don’t ever make such insane comparisons. The problem with most newbie bloggers is that they make the mistake of comparing the traffic of their baby blogs with that of older blogs or bigger blogs. It’s no wonder most individuals who kick off a career in blogging throw in the towel 2 – 3 months into blogging. I have also understood that blogging success doesn’t come overnight and there is certainly hardwork that needs to be put in to eventually bring success.

As for my baby-blog’s traffic I’ve had great days when I got over a hundred visitors, days when I recorded between 5-8 visitors, and even days I recorded no visitor or reader at all, terrible days. The pressure builds up to the point whereby you continue to look at your blog stats to see if anybody has visited your blog. Such days alone were enough to make me quit blogging but my passion and interest in music has been the anchor holding me fast and keeping me from falling. The process of writing a blog post, editing, adding pictures and then proof reading is definitely time consuming! Not to talk of the longer minutes one has to spend publishing a single post in a country like Nigeria due to bad network. And so to feel that no one has read your post apart from yourself is undeniably quite upsetting.

During down times and periods I’ve considered quitting blogging, God has somehow always sent an angel in the guise of friends Felix Brambaiyefa, Idris Aliyu and Otosirieze Obi-Young. Their words of encouragement have been my strength and kept me going. The success stories of established bloggers have also been a source of inspiration and motivation for me.

As a newbie Blogger I’ve learnt that pressure will always remain as you want to do well and have people read and benefit from your blog. That is the reason you blog in the first place, so people read it and comment on your opinions and thoughts and so I try to reassure myself that people will come, and that I need to promote my blog more and not give up easily. I also tell myself that regardless of the Nigerian blogosphere being overly crowded, everyone has their position and followers, and if I work hard enough, make my blog posts more unique and stay focused on achieving my goals, I on the long-run will definitely establish myself as one of the most successful music bloggers in Africa.

Source:
https://blarckbillboard./2016/07/27/a-month-and-two-weeks-into-blogging-my-experience/

My name is and not My names are. Ok?

2 Likes

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Grammywinner: 9:06am On Jul 29, 2016
bedfordng:
my advice for you, if you want to build not just a blog but a brand. Get a domain name. I don't usually recommend wordpress free blog, instead get switch to blogger and add a domain name to it.blogging is not as easy as most people paints it, especially when your utmost reason is making millions overnight. As for traffic, it all starts from zero to millions which is not overnight.

I'll do that sir
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by macquis(m): 9:14am On Jul 29, 2016
newsphase:
First of all you blog has a problem..... You need to insert page break (it is called jump break in blogger) This cuts your post so that everything is not lined out the way it is in your blog..

Secondly, are you writing according to SEO.. because if you are then when you buy a domain you wouldn't have to complain about traffic (thats if you are really good in literature and writing unique contents)

Thirdly, before you just spot on into blogging in music .... you have to understand your audience.. what motivates them.... In my blogs I have plans which will entertain my users and keep them coming... I have free giveaways and so much stuff in store for them....

Now this will implant them in my blog..

My Name Is Paul Samuel
CEO/Editor in Chief Newsphases (just search newsphases in google)

Brov how do I apply page breaks ? Cuz am finding it difficult from my end
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Emeka71(m): 9:14am On Jul 29, 2016
macquis:
Blarckbillboard a blog I started with the assistance of a friend and partner (Joshua) came into being on the 11th day of June 2016. In other words, the blog is barely two months old.

Being a music addict and a lover of literature I carefully thought of inventing a channel through which I could connect with music lovers as myself and most importantly contribute my quota to the growth of the Nigerian music industry. At that period in time in the year 2014 I conceived the whole music blogging idea. Though the idea of starting a music blog had been birthed in the year 2014, I never considered materializing the idea until after my service year in 2016.

Blogging is quite difficult and time consuming, except you are nothing more than a plagiarist blogger.
Considering my blogging nitch the stress and difficulty is even doubled. Blarckbillboard most importantly deals with music news and reviews, and you will agree with me that the music industry both locally and internationally is always buzzing with one news update or the other.

Understanding the way things work in the media and blogosphere, the experienced news blogger strives to have a particular breaking news published on his/her blog first. If the news is hot enough, with adequate promotion of the blog post it could fetch the blog a lot of traffic. So I’ve had to constantly source for hot music news, rewrite them before publishing; write a detailed review on a new hit single; announce an upcoming music event and above all promote my blog posts on every available social media. Consequently, I’ve had to blog everyday, either in the sense of writing a new post or promoting one of my already published blog post, in other to make my baby-blog relevant to readers.

I recall nights when I’ve had to sleep for just 2 hrs owing to my sourcing for fresh music news to publish on the blog, and during the day spending long hours in a particular sitting position rewriting or typing a new post. The few hours I put into sleeping and relaxing my body both during the day and night began to take its toll on me as I fell ill few weeks into blogging. But my broken body wasn’t going to discourage me from pressing on. Even when the daily results I got paled in comparison to the hardwork and dedication I was putting into blogging.

According to one source: “There are more than 164 million blogs… Most of these blogs get less than 1,000 visitors per month, and the harsh reality is, the majority of those blogs are, for lack of a better word, failures”.

Linda ikeji’s blog success from a traffic perspective would definitely spark up depression within me and kill my blogging drive, so I don’t ever make such insane comparisons. The problem with most newbie bloggers is that they make the mistake of comparing the traffic of their baby blogs with that of older blogs or bigger blogs. It’s no wonder most individuals who kick off a career in blogging throw in the towel 2 – 3 months into blogging. I have also understood that blogging success doesn’t come overnight and there is certainly hardwork that needs to be put in to eventually bring success.

As for my baby-blog’s traffic I’ve had great days when I got over a hundred visitors, days when I recorded between 5-8 visitors, and even days I recorded no visitor or reader at all, terrible days. The pressure builds up to the point whereby you continue to look at your blog stats to see if anybody has visited your blog. Such days alone were enough to make me quit blogging but my passion and interest in music has been the anchor holding me fast and keeping me from falling. The process of writing a blog post, editing, adding pictures and then proof reading is definitely time consuming! Not to talk of the longer minutes one has to spend publishing a single post in a country like Nigeria due to bad network. And so to feel that no one has read your post apart from yourself is undeniably quite upsetting.

During down times and periods I’ve considered quitting blogging, God has somehow always sent an angel in the guise of friends Felix Brambaiyefa, Idris Aliyu and Otosirieze Obi-Young. Their words of encouragement have been my strength and kept me going. The success stories of established bloggers have also been a source of inspiration and motivation for me.

As a newbie Blogger I’ve learnt that pressure will always remain as you want to do well and have people read and benefit from your blog. That is the reason you blog in the first place, so people read it and comment on your opinions and thoughts and so I try to reassure myself that people will come, and that I need to promote my blog more and not give up easily. I also tell myself that regardless of the Nigerian blogosphere being overly crowded, everyone has their position and followers, and if I work hard enough, make my blog posts more unique and stay focused on achieving my goals, I on the long-run will definitely establish myself as one of the most successful music bloggers in Africa.

Source:
https://blarckbillboard./2016/07/27/a-month-and-two-weeks-into-blogging-my-experience/
Get domain.
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by macquis(m): 9:18am On Jul 29, 2016
Wow... I truly bless God and everyone of y'all who took out time to view this post on Nairaland and even visited my blog.

This is the first time a post I penned is receiving Nairaland's front page honour... Am so filled with joy.

2 Likes

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by macquis(m): 9:21am On Jul 29, 2016
Emeka71:
Get domain.
I will. But do you have any idea of how much a domain will cost me.
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Emeka71(m): 9:32am On Jul 29, 2016
macquis:

Depending on the source; the thing should be about N7,000.00

1 Like

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by ITbomb(m): 9:38am On Jul 29, 2016
Emeka71:
Depending on the source; the thing should be about N7,000.00
Blood of Buhari shocked shocked shocked

Domain name could be as low as N500 if you use a coupon especially from Godaddy and 1and1 .
Part of being a blogger is knowing how to get information, so don't expect me to tell you how.

And my friend, if you want to host your blog for free, never go to WordPress. WordPress is the best ONLY when you are paying for host

1 Like

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Emmysky(m): 9:49am On Jul 29, 2016
blogging aint easy at all. you invest to harvest.
me i have been blogging for 1 week now and so far i have accomplished 900+ earned views(almost 1000 )emmytechs.com

1 Like

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by macquis(m): 10:03am On Jul 29, 2016
politicalcritik:
Am beginning to think that all bloggers have similar beginning.
I don't know you, but deep within me when I was reading your post I thought you were narrating my story. The hustle is real bro. Keep your head up. We shall make it to the top.

This is my own baby blog
www.politicalcritics.com.ng

I'm really glad the article resonated with you
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by LovesonBlezz(m): 10:03am On Jul 29, 2016
Hw do bloggers make their money?
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Emeka71(m): 10:10am On Jul 29, 2016
ITbomb:

Blood of Buhari shocked shocked shocked

Domain name could be as low as N500 if you use a coupon especially from Godaddy and 1and1 .
Part of being a blogger is knowing how to get information, so don't expect me to tell you how.

And my friend, if you want to host your blog for free, never go to WordPress. WordPress is the best ONLY when you are paying for host
I know blog is cheaper compared to bigger websites.
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by D34lw4p(m): 10:14am On Jul 29, 2016
It can be easier to succeed if you're doing the right thing of your're in the right community. Join the community of Bloggers and Webmasters. Visit www.nct.com.ng Where you relate with other bloggers and webmasters you can easily share ideas with yourselves.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by ITbomb(m): 10:17am On Jul 29, 2016
Emeka71:
I know blog is cheaper compared to bigger websites.
Sir, I think he said just a domain name.
Domain name is same price, doesn't matter whether blog or website. I think you are confusing it with hosting
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Emeka71(m): 10:44am On Jul 29, 2016
ITbomb:

Sir, I think he said just a domain name.
Domain name is same price, doesn't matter whether blog or website. I think you are confusing it with hosting
Okay that is true; I thought he was asking for both domain and hosting which I know can be done for about N3,000.00 but I only gave him a safe budget margin.

1 Like

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by dadaijboy: 11:15am On Jul 29, 2016
Ok
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by therealchase(m): 11:19am On Jul 29, 2016
This is great am glsd you are persistent and your blog is well detailed which is cool ..I Would advise you to get a domain name a commercial one(.com) because its mostly used then keep advertising your blog on any social media possible ..e.g nairaland has millions of registered users try using nairaland keep posting real stuffs sit back smd watch your users grow day by day its a matter of time.... It takes time to make time

1 Like

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by newsphase(m): 11:43am On Jul 29, 2016
macquis:

Brov how do I apply page breaks ? Cuz am finding it difficult from my end

If you are using blogger it is very easy.... But if for wordpress... I have to go back to my wordpress blog since I have forgotten where it is... But when you look at the formatting options in which you can make text Bold or Italic or edit you will see an option which is either jump break or page break..

just click on where you want the words to break then click on that jump break or page break.. and thats all ... save and publish
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by newsphase(m): 11:43am On Jul 29, 2016
frankmoney:
how do insert this in blogger ??

insert what?
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by macquis(m): 12:49pm On Jul 29, 2016
newsphase:

If you are using blogger it is very easy.... But if for wordpress... I have to go back to my wordpress blog since I have forgotten where it is... But when you look at the formatting options in which you can make text Bold or Italic or edit you will see an option which is either jump break or page break..

just click on where you want the words to break then click on that jump break or page break.. and thats all ... save and publish

Thank you so much Sir
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by macquis(m): 12:50pm On Jul 29, 2016
therealchase:
This is great am glsd you are persistent and your blog is well detailed which is cool ..I Would advise you to get a domain name a commercial one(.com) because its mostly used then keep advertising your blog on any social media possible ..e.g nairaland has millions of registered users try using nairaland keep posting real stuffs sit back smd watch your users grow day by day its a matter of time.... It takes time to make time

Thank you for checking my blog out. I'll see to getting a domain name soonest.
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by newsphase(m): 12:52pm On Jul 29, 2016
macquis:

Thank you so much Sir

Just remember to stay healthy and wise with newsphases

1 Like

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by bedfordng(m): 12:56pm On Jul 29, 2016
VocalWalls:

SEO fora music blog is not beans... There are hardly any search terms and LSI.
then you are wrong. They have lots of search terms and lsi.entertainment search terms is even mostly searched than other niche. You even get more weired hidden search terms for celebrities and their music. Some one searching for when did micheal jackson died. Most entertainment blogs don't add seo to their articles probably because they follow the bandwagons. If you do keyword research on entertainments, then you will know they have more search terms than any other niche. Instead of writing 2face just released a new single, there is a search term people are using to search for that single while those who followed the bandwagons gets zero traffic because they only write what they copied, no lsi, no keyword for what people are searching..check this example search term for 2face from a keyword research tool and you will understand that lots of searches are done by people but most bloggers only copy and paste in entertainment blogs without adding the search terms and lsi. The tool even have the ability to automatically do a domain name availability search for the keywords

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by macquis(m): 2:44pm On Jul 29, 2016
SEO is truly a must learn for every blogger

1 Like

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by macquis(m): 2:45pm On Jul 29, 2016
bedfordng:
then you are wrong. They have lots of search terms and lsi.entertainment search terms is even mostly searched than other niche. You even get more weired hidden search terms for celebrities and their music. Some one searching for when did micheal jackson died. Most entertainment blogs don't add seo to their articles probably because they follow the bandwagons. If you do keyword research on entertainments, then you will know they have more search terms than any other niche. Instead of writing 2face just released a new single, there is a search term people are using to search for that single while those who followed the bandwagons gets zero traffic because they only write what they copied, no lsi, no keyword for what people are searching..check this example search term for 2face from a keyword research tool and you will understand that lots of searches are done by people but most bloggers only copy and paste in entertainment blogs without adding the search terms and lsi. The tool even have the ability to automatically do a domain name availability search for the keywords

Hmmm. very educative
Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Nobody: 3:21pm On Jul 29, 2016
macquis:

Source:
My dear friend,

Blogging is cool,especially when you know what you came for.I have always advised people not to open a COPY AND PASTE blog because they are obviously wasting their time in the name of blogging.

I think this little tutorial will help you out alittle and brighten you up.»» https://infogossips..com.ng/2016/07/viral-google-adsense-cheat-that-yields-money.html

1 Like

Re: A Month And Two Weeks Into Blogging:- My Experience by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 29, 2016
macquis:

Register for a domain at www.domainking.com.
They offer the following features• Free email forwarder
•2 free custom email I.e info@yourname.com
•free whois
So its very cool and cheap,just for N3000 for a year...for .com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Facebook To Announce Large-scale Job Cuts / Types Of Websites | Softplace.com.ng / Most Web Developers Are Guilty Of This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.