Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,949 members, 7,799,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje (35495 Views)

PLEASE HELP(UNILAG TRANSCRIPT): How Do I Get My Transcripts Processed / 8 Common Academic Related Slangs In Nigerian Universities / 150 Courses Unaccredited In Nigerian Universities — FULL LIST (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by CoCoLav(f): 6:39pm On Jul 27, 2016
People who graduated from certain schools often wish that their business with their alma mater ends with throwing up graduation caps into the air. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Pursing postgraduate education and job search both have a way of sending one back there. And for some, trying to get a transcript will have them reliving the hell they suffered as undergraduates. Many graduates from Nigerian universities go through a lot of difficulty to get a transcript. Some people I know who otherwise have good morals resorted to forging transcripts to avoid the frustration and delay that characterize application for transcripts in Nigeria. But processing a transcript application shouldn’t be a hassle. Here are some suggestions, based on what some premium universities are already doing, on how higher institutions can cut their costs and process transcript applications more efficiently.

1. Digitize Students’ Records

As obvious as it is that digitizing students’ records is the first step towards ensuring that graduates obtain their transcripts hassle-free, many Nigerian universities still keep their students’ records on paper, sometimes in loose sheets, which occasionally get lost or misplaced while in the care of a careless civil servant. In Imo State University for example, a former student couldn’t get his transcript because his file was missing.

Besides being less prone to damage and loss, digitized records can be more easily searched for specific contents than records on paper. The difference between having records in digital form or on hard copy is demonstrated by my experience with different land registries as a young attorney in Eastern Nigeria . In Abia State, because registrations and titles to land have been digitized, it took only minutes or at most a couple of hours to apply for and get the result of a title search. In Imo State however, because they still have their records on paper (as at three years ago), the staff had to look through piles of dusty files that have turned brown due to age. The effect was that conducting a title search in Imo State took days and thus several trips to Owerri, and was much more expensive and inconvenient. Needless to say that the additional cost, financial and otherwise, was invariably transferred to clients.

2. Have Relevant Information Online

While writing this article, of the several Nigerian universities’ websites I visited, I found only two universities which have information on how to apply for a transcript with them. Nigerian Law School does too. It bothered me that though many of the universities had alumni sections, they had no information on how to obtain a transcript. If a school is not committed to the welfare of their graduates, what will motivate such graduates to go back to them to attend a fundraising event or to give back to the school? It is embarrassing that one can get more information on how to get a transcript from Nigerian universities on chatrooms like Nairaland than from the universities’ websites. These schools unwittingly leave it to others to define who they are. I know of a university in Nigeria which when you google, the first pages that come up are loaded with disparaging comments from their disgruntled students. I do hope that schools like that one get their IT departments to use Search Engine Optimization (SEO) to improve their online reputation or they may soon be out of business.

Although it is ideal that students be given the opportunity to order and pay for their transcripts online, I will come to that later, it is unlikely that all Nigerian universities can afford to do that at this time. What is attainable however is Nigerian universities putting up information on their websites informing prospective applicants of how much they charge to send a transcript to each country, the average processing time, a sample of the application form and details of what documents an applicant needs to attach if applicable. For one school I tried to reach however, (their website was more useful than most in this regard), they had an email address available for transcript inquiries on their website. When I sent them an email, they replied that I must send someone to the school to apply for my transcript if I couldn’t come myself. A subsequent email to them inquiring about the cost of the transcript and what documents my proxy will need for the application was not replied. I tried calling the number listed on their website for the Exams and Records department but it was not functional. The one listed for the Registrar went through. When I inquired how much the fee for the transcript was, he said that I must send someone. I pointed out to him that there was no information online of what was required for transcript application to which he said something along the lines of: ‘If you were a student here, you should know that we DON’T do anything online, you must come down here’. When I reasoned that I should at least know what to give to the person making the application on my behalf, he said: ‘He will let you know whatever information you need when he comes here’ after which he hung up the phone. I sensed a reprimand n his voice when he stated that I should have known that they don’t do things online. And this is 21st century!

I guess that, like is obtainable in most Nigerian universities, the school expects applicants to make several trips to the school; the first to make inquiries, the second to come with what is required for the application, and then several more trips that will invariably involve: ‘tipping’ the Exams and Records staff who will locate the file, giving lunch money or money for ‘malt’ to the one who will type out the transcript, and finally coming with some money in a brown envelope to ‘appreciate’ the big oga or madam who has the very important job of sealing the transcript. It is Nigeria after all where public servants expect the people they are meant to serve to ‘tip’ them for doing the very job they are employed to do.

3. Make Provision for Mail or Online Application

Automating transactions help reduce corruption, corruption which is the bane of development in Nigeria. If Nigerian Universities make provision for students to order their transcripts online or at least apply for them by mail, electronic or otherwise, it will reduce the incidence of corrupt civil servants asking for money from already struggling and unemployed graduates. In other words, if graduates can apply for their transcripts without having to be physically present in schools, there will be no opportunity for civil servants to ask them for extra fees that never make it to the school coffers. It will also make it easier for Nigerians in diaspora to apply for their transcripts without having to bother anyone to go to their almae matres on their behalf. Again my experience when I tried to get a certificate of good standing from the Supreme Court of Nigeria for submission to another jurisdiction illustrates this point.

When I applied for the certificate, I couldn’t visit Abuja so my only option was to look at the Supreme Court of Nigeria’s website to see what information I could find on how to make the application. I had braced for the worst knowing how nonfunctional most Nigerian government websites are and how dated their last updates could be. Although I didn’t get any information on how to get a certificate of good standing from the Supreme Court’s website, after series of emails to contacts I found on the website, I got a reply from no other than the Registrar of the Supreme Court himself. Perhaps because I got through to him directly, in less than ten days, I got an email from the IT department telling me my certificate of good standing was ready for pick up. I didn’t spend a dime in the whole application process. I didn’t have any one do a legwork for me. I simply sent my application letter via email with a copy of my call to bar certificate attached. (To read my experience in detail, see here). I believe the only reason I had this pleasant experience was that I didn’t have to deal with several civil servants who are good at creating artificial bureaucracy that only gets lifted when they are tipped. The story would have been different if I had walked into the Supreme Court to make the application. Till today, I look back to the whole experience and assure myself that Nigeria can be better, that we know how to cut through the bureaucracy and give decent service to Nigerian citizens.

Regrettably, my experience with the Supreme Court is uncommon in Nigeria. The situation is even more hopeless for Nigerians in diaspora. Except they have a reliable relative or friend to make their application and do the follow-up for them, they are forced to go back to Nigeria for their transcripts. I know someone whose job prospects in the United States was delayed for years because it took two years to get her transcript from a Nigerian university. While researching for this article, I read of a man in the United States who had someone doing the application for him in Nigeria. Once the university employees learnt that he was in the United States, they kept on demanding money and telling stories to delay his application.

I understand that Nigerian universities may be wary of processing transcript applications made by mail because of the prevalence of fraud in Nigeria. I appreciate that that may require a way to verify the identity of applicants. In my opinion, the issue can be easily addressed by requiring people applying for transcripts to attach a copy of their degree certificates. That way, someone who has no business requesting for it cannot apply successfully as they will not have the certificate to prove their identity.

Moreover I know a very hardworking Nigerian lady in her early thirties who have two successful online businesses. For one of her stores which carries wholesale products, individual transactions run into hundreds of thousands of Naira. If a young woman, an individual, is able to manage such a huge business with all the risk involved, there is no reason Nigerian university should hesitate to use efficient means to serve their graduates. A university ought to be a beacon of light and take the lead in bringing great ideas and innovations in its community.

4. Reduce the Fees

If the suggestions above are followed, it will lead to a reduction in human labor required to process a transcript and so cut cost for universities. When the savings are transferred to applicants and transcript fees are reduced, more graduates will apply for their transcripts and resist the temptation to forge them. The following example shows that reduced cost naturally comes with efficiency. A young Nigerian needed transcripts from two universities, Imo State University (IMSU) and Nnamdi Azikiwe University (NAU). He spent N30,000 plus tip to apply for his transcript in IMSU and after months, he still hadn’t got it because the school had lost his file – apparently they still keep their records on paper. However, he got the one from NAU for only N10,000, with no tips, within two weeks. In the United States, because most of the records are digitized, students get their transcripts for as little as $3(N480).

A Stellar Example from University of Nigeria Nsukka

I was thrilled when in the course of writing this blog I discovered that the University of Nigeria, Nsukka has already introduced I-Transcript Service. A publication on their website reads in part:

“The introduction of the service is to ease the burden of students who often have to travel from within and outside the country for the sole purpose of getting a transcript of their academic records for graduate records or employment.

This (I-Transcript Service) will enable alumni /alumnae of the university all over the world to apply for their transcripts from the comfort of their homes and conclude transcript request online and in real time. It would also improve efficiency in transcript processing, enabling transcript to be generated, printed, endorsed and dispatched via a courier company within 24 hours”.

It is accessible on the university website alumni.unn.edu.ng/itranscript. Users are expected to fill a form with their names, matriculation number as well as email address. They can provide details of the institution to which they want the university to send the transcript’

The website went on to state that the i-transcript service was borne out of the on-going work on digitizing academic records in the institution. The first part of the exercise was the digitization of records of the last 30 years up to 1980. The school has digitized records of students’ academic work for the last 20 years. In the second phase, the university would compile records up to its inception in 1960.

It was good to know that the university has identified the problem and, like a premium university it is, has taken the lead in proffering a solution.

EXT-NG (Electronic Transcript Exchange and Certificate Verification System for Nigeria)

My research also shows that Covenant University has a similar system but carries it out through EXT-NG. EXT-NG it appears is a one stop shop for all Nigerian universities for efficient transcript issuance. Its website shows that it partners with National Universities Commission and NBTE.

On its website, EXT-NG articulated the difficulty faced by Nigerians in diaspora seeking to get their transcripts as follows: ‘Aside from the official fee to be paid to the school, facilitators within the school system would also need to be paid or “greased”. Moreover, friends and relatives who spent their time going back and forth must also be compensated. Transcript (and postage) that ordinarily should cost no more than N10,000 for example, may end up costing the requester upward of N40,000. You can’t even quantify the cost of time spent, along with the stress and other incalculable resources. And indeed, there is no guarantee that the requested documents will arrive, or arrive in a timely fashion to its required destination’.

EXT-NG’s website further shows how efficient their service is which includes: providing Convenient 24/7 Access so that graduates can make their applications from the comfort of their homes; making it possible for applicants to track their transcripts once it is sent; instantaneous delivery so that official transcripts can now be sent and received anywhere in the world (for participating institutions) within seconds.

While the EXT-NG is a welcome development and may fill a void many universities created, it is doubtful they can be of any use to students whose almae matres have yet to digitize their records.

Conclusion

I understand that there are some unique challenges universities may face in implementing these suggestions which, as an outsider, I may not be aware of. I hope that this article at least starts the conversation.

Finally, while the focus of this bog was on universities, the recommendations made can be applied in all government and private establishments for increased efficiency. I have showcased the success some universities have had in this regard in the I hope that others who desire to provide quality service to their students will consult them for ideas on how to get it right.

I am sure that if transcript processing becomes efficient in Nigeria, we will have first-rate schools able to compete favorably with other global institutions. We will also have more confident and happier graduates. However, I cannot guarantee wealthier Exams and Records staff.

Source: https://annemmeje./2014/07/21/how-nigerian-universities-can-process-transcripts-promptly-and-efficiently/

cc: Lalasticala

cc: Lalasticala

Snake

38 Likes 5 Shares

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by babyfaceafrica: 6:51pm On Jul 27, 2016
Unilag also engage in online transcripts processing,but it takes time a little..like 6 to 8 weeks

4 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by davide470(m): 9:13pm On Jul 27, 2016
Please i need a sumarized version of that long post cry

4 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by CoCoLav(f): 1:28pm On Jul 28, 2016
davide470:
Please i need a sumarized version of that long post cry

So we wasted our tuition on you?
Kindly return it so we can use it to feed the fishes

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by davide470(m): 7:19pm On Jul 28, 2016
CoCoLav:

So we wasted our tuition on you?
Kindly return it so we can use it to feed the fishes
Who's we?

No respect again in this perilous times..

8 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by CoCoLav(f): 7:35pm On Jul 28, 2016
davide470:
Who's we?

No respect again in this perilous times..

I see what you did there embarassed

4 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by CoCoLav(f): 7:37pm On Jul 28, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Unilag also engage in online transcripts processing,but it takes time a little..like 6 to 8 weeks

Yeah, ordering my transcript from UNILAG was so easy but other schools you will have to make trips there. So annoying...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by babyfaceafrica: 7:41pm On Jul 28, 2016
CoCoLav:

Yeah, ordering my transcript from UNILAG was so easy but other schools you will have to make trips there. So annoying...
how many weeks did you get yours and to which school?
Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by CoCoLav(f): 7:50pm On Jul 28, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
how many weeks did you get yours and to which school?

It took roughly 4-5 weeks from when I applied to when it got to my school in North America.
Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by davide470(m): 8:12pm On Jul 28, 2016
CoCoLav:

I see what you did there embarassed
What did i do?

1 Like

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by CoCoLav(f): 8:17pm On Jul 28, 2016
davide470:
What did i do?

Perilous angry sad

1 Like

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by babyfaceafrica: 8:21pm On Jul 28, 2016
CoCoLav:

It took roughly 4-5 weeks from when I applied to when it got to my school in North America.
nice courier right?
Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by CoCoLav(f): 8:23pm On Jul 28, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
nice courier right?

Nope NIPOST.

It took 2 weeks from when I got an email about the dispatch to when my school officially recorded it as received. Note that this was during the xmas/new year period and so it could have been delivered earlier if not for the holidays in between.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by babyfaceafrica: 8:58pm On Jul 28, 2016
CoCoLav:

Nope NIPOST.

It took 2 weeks from when I got an email about the dispatch to when my school officially recorded it as received. Note that this was during the xmas/new year period and so it could have been delivered earlier if not for the holidays in between.
wow....that's nice..I have requested for mine ,hope ist reaches school on time..greatest akokite!!

3 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by CoCoLav(f): 7:33pm On Dec 15, 2016
Lalasticala, Seun, Snake
Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by davide470(m): 8:20pm On Dec 15, 2016
CoCoLav:
Why should it make FP? *rme*

1 Like

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by CoCoLav(f): 1:02am On Dec 16, 2016
davide470:
Why should it make FP? *rme*

I knew you were going to comment. My personal stalker
Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by Winifred468(f): 4:48am On Dec 16, 2016
That was how I went to the Academic affairs office in my school and applied for a transcript to process the scholarship which I was shortlisted for.
You won't believe I almost cried out of the office coz of the enormous amount I was asked to pay : almost half of my fees (50,000NGN) just to get a document.

Na so we c ham

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by veekid(m): 6:26am On Dec 16, 2016

this country sef
Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by herzern(m): 6:27am On Dec 16, 2016
Followinq.
Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by Chocogold: 6:27am On Dec 16, 2016
Uniprt stressed me buh finally I got it at a cheap rate...though I waited 17months...lol

2 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by flyca: 6:28am On Dec 16, 2016
Biko tell UNN that my current school is still waiting to receive my transcript ~ 3 years after.
And to think I paid 70K for 2 schools and non of the schools have recieved any transcript yet angry

2 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by Naijalabel(m): 6:30am On Dec 16, 2016
Most Federal schools dont give out transcripts
Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by Chocogold: 6:30am On Dec 16, 2016
Winifred468:
That was how I went to the Academic affairs office in my school and applied for a transcript to process the scholarship which I was shortlisted for.
You won't believe I almost cried out of the office coz of the enormous amount I was asked to pay : almost half of my fees (50,000NGN) just to get a document.

Na so we c ham
Sorry, that should be either state or private university...no federal university will charge such amount....they might stress you before you get it buh highest u gonna pay is 20k...with 11k I got mine

2 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by Lukgaf(m): 6:30am On Dec 16, 2016
A school like EKSU is not easy to get. it may take a year in processing.
They collect 10,000# excluding other expenses.
even, to get student copy, it is a problem.
I hate that school.

2 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by oseiwe(m): 6:34am On Dec 16, 2016
Just try my own school, transcript request is an offence, while certificate is not to be requested. Even to get 100L results in 500L is super cumbersome!

5 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by math2000: 6:34am On Dec 16, 2016
.[size=28pt]view of the whole of port harcourt[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fucbrhb7zz0

[size=28pt]view of the whole of onitsha[/size]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDgAskQDGeM
Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by obamd: 6:35am On Dec 16, 2016
First thing to do is try getting an unofficial transcript ahead of time.
Request the transcripts sent to your workplace, then pick it up from the secretary.
Yabatech took about three months to send transcripts to kano state. That's after tipping the right people.

The college of medicine LASU is quite fast, about two weeks on the average, and costs ₦2000.
The issue really is getting these things digitised.

Nigerian universities should start giving student copies of transcripts as practised in other parts of the world.
If we can't solve basic problems, we may not move to complex ones.

1 Like

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by TINALETC3(f): 6:39am On Dec 16, 2016
cool.

4 Likes

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by Pavore9: 6:40am On Dec 16, 2016
The stress no get part two!
Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by thunderbabs: 6:40am On Dec 16, 2016
Olabisi Onabanjo University is a typical ''who cares if you need it before deadline''.

Some schools are just enemies of progress. Applied for transcript since 6 months, yet to get it.

Until you bribe and tip, tip and bribe which doesnt even guarantee promptness either.

Transcript requests from Nigerian schools can be suicidal sef.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Problem Of Getting Transcripts From Nigerian Universities By Ann Meje by Fogman(m): 6:41am On Dec 16, 2016
University of Ibadan, stand out as the worst institution to seek for a transcript.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNN Student Creates A Motorcycle From Palm Fronds And Fibre / OAU Sacks Professor Richard Akindele Over Sex For Mark Scandal / Meet Unilag Best Graduating Student

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.