Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,962 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death (43929 Views)

Amaechi Absent At Rivers State 50th Year Thanksgiving Service / Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback / Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Honoured At The August Meeting In Imo. PICS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ManMountain(m): 4:40pm On Jul 29, 2016
tonquendo4u:
D Chief of staff has seniors.Gowon was chief of staff but Ogundikpe was his senior.There's always order in d army.Nzeogwu n co had d coup.He restored order,arrested d plotters and who do u expect to take over?He was d GOC.There was even a report that Nzeogwu's boys couldn't stop him on his was to Lagos because he's d Oga.Not d chief of staff

Your comment is badly worded. I can't make meaning out of it.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ManMountain(m): 4:41pm On Jul 29, 2016
tonquendo4u:
He should've left d country without a leader?who should have taken over?it was a military coup organised by his junior officers and he was d GOC them.D biggest man in d military.He had to take over

That is the stupid mentality that led him into trouble.

1 Like

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by DobleO7: 4:44pm On Jul 29, 2016
ManMountain:

Where is the military book that you read that the most senior military person MUST take over power from Civilians in the event of a failed military coup. It is the same asswipe thinking that got Ironsi into that deep shytee .

So tell me who was suppose to take over since you have Phd in Hsitory.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by codemaniacs: 4:45pm On Jul 29, 2016
iwadobo:

Aguyi was killed because he introduced unitary system which means all wealth ,be it in the north or south belongs to all Nigerians. That was his undoing . The north felt that their money would be used to run Nigeria and they have to hurriedly kill him . They were about to declare independence when they were advised that the bulk of the money being used to run Nigeria Wass from oil and not groundnut . Unfortunately, those that hated unitary system to the extent of committing mass murder for it, embraced it when they discovered that it is another man's money that is to be shared all over Nigeria. Today, no one loves the unitary system more than the Hausa. That is the Nigeria ,our so called country. Nigeria is a fraud hate.

Most igbos don't know that northern politicians realised that the south was and are still richer them..

Most of Nigeria's revenue was from the SW and the coming of oil would have made the entire south very rich..

Foreigners knew they couldn't control southerners that's why they warned and prevented the north from seceding.

3 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ManMountain(m): 4:45pm On Jul 29, 2016
DobleO7:

[s]So tell me who was suppose to take over since you have Phd in Hsitory[/s].

Stop disturbing my mention if you are really that daft you can't converse intelligently without insult.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by southpole: 4:45pm On Jul 29, 2016
gartamanta:

And when Ojukwu got back that 'true federalism' at Aburi, who are the people who fought Ojukwu to make sure that we still practice unitary rule to this day?
Ojukwu was pushed by the Igbo tribalistic hormone of I must be the head not really to restore true federalism, why didn't he advice Ironsi against demolishing it in the first place? and he never mention it even once during the so called Aburi accord

1 Like

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by logicab: 4:47pm On Jul 29, 2016
DobleO7:

So tell me who was suppose to take over since you have Phd in Hsitory.
Ogbeni this is not history but commonsense. There is always a hierarchy in a democratic government. Now if the president is killed, who takes over? The most senior military man or Vice President? How about if both are killed? Isn't it the Senate Chairman who then succeeds?

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ManMountain(m): 4:47pm On Jul 29, 2016
southpole:
Ojukwu was pushed by the Igbo tribalistic hormone of I must be the head not really to restore true federalism, why didn't he advice Ironsi against demolishing it in the first place? and he never mention it even once during the so called Aburi accord
It is always Ojukwu planned to do this, Ironsi planned to do that. They always come up with very ridiculous conjectures that beats common sense to justify wickedness.

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ManMountain(m): 4:51pm On Jul 29, 2016
logicab:
Ogbeni this is not history but commonsense. There is always a hierarchy in a democratic government. Now if the president is killed, who takes over? The most senior military man? How about if both are killed? Isn't it the Senate Chairman who then succeeds?

They have a terrible mindset of the coup. You can't really blame them, all what most of them know is the story told them by fathers and uncles, without picking up a book.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by southpole: 4:56pm On Jul 29, 2016
iwadobo:

Aguyi was killed because he introduced unitary system which means all wealth ,be it in the north or south belongs to all Nigerians. That was his undoing . The north felt that their money would be used to run Nigeria and they have to hurriedly kill him . They were about to declare independence when they were advised that the bulk of the money being used to run Nigeria Wass from oil and not groundnut . Unfortunately, those that hated unitary system to the extent of committing mass murder for it, embraced it when they discovered that it is another man's money that is to be shared all over Nigeria. Today, no one loves the unitary system more than the Hausa. That is the Nigeria ,our so called country. Nigeria is a fraud hate.
This is the type of reasoning that put the Igbos where they are today, politically retarded tribe that called itself a major tribe

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by rosebowl01(m): 4:59pm On Jul 29, 2016
Eluwilussit:

That was a huge mistake but we must also remember that that was the first time we had to deal with such a situation. So there was no precedent. Brand new situation.

If only he killed the plotters, the north would have been placated. Then again, January to July wasn't too long to assume that he wasted too much time. He would have been seen as being too much in a hurry if he had killed the plotters within a couple of months.

We are not aware of the activities of UN and other human rights then. The picture is fragmented and it is difficult to piece together what dilema these young officers must have faced in those days as regards their decision making.

What is appalling is not the first coup, second coup or the Civil War, but our inability to learn from them and move forward as a united nation. The same problems that we faced in the 50s and 60s are here with us today. It is even worse. Shameful.

All these grammar just to justify why he didn't bring justice to the ethnic coup plotters? by the way, 6 months is not "couple of months", it's half a year.

3 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by EagleNest(m): 5:02pm On Jul 29, 2016
The fact is that a great mistake was made by Nzeogwu and group, but judging by subsequent Military Head of States from the north, one can rightly say that Ironsi was a saint.

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by EazyMoh(m): 5:03pm On Jul 29, 2016
southpole:

This is the type of reasoning that put the Igbos where they are today, politically retarded tribe that called itself a major tribe
Oga leave them like that they have surrendered. The kind of stories and biased accounts of history what they use to tell themselves in oder to sleep well at night is what they think they could post here with reckless abandon.
In as much they would never listen or agree, but we must tell them the truth to their faces!
Nice job.

4 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by 400billionman: 5:09pm On Jul 29, 2016
Mama don old but still hale and hearty..
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jul 29, 2016
On 14 January 1966, Soldiers of mostly Igbo extraction led by Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu, an Igbo from Okpanam near Asaba, present day Delta state, eradicated the uppermost echelon of politicians from the Northern and Western provinces.This and other factors effectively led to the Fall of the Republican Government. Though Ironsi, an Igbo, was purportedly slated for assassination, he effectively took control of Lagos, the Federal Capital Territory.[9] With President also an Igbo Nnamdi Azikiwe refusing to intervene and insure the continuity of civilian rule, Ironsi effectively at Gun point[10] forced the remaining members of Balewa's Government to resign, he then made the Senate president Nwafor Orizu, another Igbo who was serving as acting president in Azikiwe's absence, to officially surrender power to him, staging a coup of his own and ending the First Nigerian Republic.

1 Like

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by DobleO7: 5:18pm On Jul 29, 2016
logicab:
Ogbeni this is not history but commonsense. There is always a hierarchy in a democratic government. Now if the president is killed, who takes over? The most senior military man or Vice President? How about if both are killed? Isn't it the Senate Chairman who then succeeds?

Sure, the vice president is to take over in event the president was unavailable. During that time Nwafor Orizu acted as president while Zik was out the country. On the instruction of the coup plotters he handed over to Ironsi who ranked higher than other officers.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 29, 2016
ManMountain:

Danjuma led the assault that foiled the Dimka coup against Murtala, he was Chief of Army staff, he refused to to assume leadership role, to some people, they will labeled that as an act of cowardice, but to a sensible one, it was a wise decision knowing that Dimka is a Middle Belt man like Danjuma.
Sometimes, the right thing is not always the wise or moral thing.
OBJ was the most senior. He was the Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters equivalent to the present Chief of Defense Staff. While Danjuma was the Chief of Army Staff.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by logicab: 5:21pm On Jul 29, 2016
DobleO7:

Sure, the vice president is to take over in event the president was unavailable. During that time Nwafor Orizu acted as president while Zik was out the country. On the instruction of the coup plotters he handed over to Ironsi who ranked higher than other officers.
Aha. Does that then mean the coup didn't fail after all? If the Acting President can be taking orders from coup plotters, can you call it a failed coup? Historians on this matter have pointed out that it was more or less a coup within a coup. Ironsi had NO reason to take over.

3 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by DobleO7: 5:23pm On Jul 29, 2016
ManMountain:

Stop disturbing my mention if you are really that daft you can't converse intelligently without insult.

I am not daft and if you feel offended by my submission I take it back.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ManMountain(m): 5:23pm On Jul 29, 2016
EngrTunji:

OBJ was the most senior. He was the Chief of Staff, Supreme Headquarters equivalent to the present Chief of Defense Staff. While Danjuma was the Chief of Army Staff.

The question is which documented part did OBJ participate in foiling the coup?
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ManMountain(m): 5:27pm On Jul 29, 2016
DobleO7:

I am not daft and if you feel offended by my submission I take it back.
I am sorry if you feel offended by my comment too.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by gartamanta: 5:28pm On Jul 29, 2016
southpole:

sorry and very unfortunate that you Igbos will go to any length to justify the foolish actions of your brothers. If you really know what true federalism is, then you should know that you don't get it outside your shores. assuming you are right why didnt ojukwu implement it in 3 years of biafra? may be that was why he killed Emmanuel Ifeajuna undecided

Funny. You guys are more interested in who introduced unitary rule but careless about those have kept it going for 50 years. Sweet reasoning. Anything to please the Northern madters. I'm glad Ojukwu fought, if anything, it told the North that not everyone is willing to be their slaves.

3 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by gartamanta: 5:30pm On Jul 29, 2016
southpole:

If read the transcripts of the Aburi accord, you would know that Ojukwu did mention it.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by DobleO7: 5:30pm On Jul 29, 2016
logicab:
Aha. Does that then mean the coup didn't fail after all? If the Acting President can be taking orders from coup plotters, can you call it a failed coup? Historians on this matter have pointed out that it was more or less a coup within a coup. Ironsi had NO reason to take over.

Well from the very little that I have read the Northern military officers were not aggrieved by Ironsi's take over.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by DobleO7: 5:32pm On Jul 29, 2016
ManMountain:

I am sorry if you feel offended by my comment too.

Thank you bro.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ManMountain(m): 5:32pm On Jul 29, 2016
DobleO7:

This is the part of the story that many still have the opinion that the Igbo elites were neck deep into the coup.
Rather than approve the appointment of of Zanna Bukar Dipcharima, a Northerner as the acting PM after the death of the PM, Nwafor Orizu handed over power to Aguiyi Ironsi.

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by gartamanta: 5:33pm On Jul 29, 2016
ManMountain:

Igbos actually showed the sweetness of the Unitary system to the North and they've perfected the use.

If the above is true, the who is to be blamed for unitary rule we practice today? If someone introduces you to smuggling and you make a career of smuggling, who is to be blamed when you get caught? The person who introduced you to it or your self?

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by logicab: 5:33pm On Jul 29, 2016
DobleO7:

Well from the very little that I have read the Northern military officers were not aggrieved by Ironsi's take over.
There was enough reason for suspicion going by the pattern of the murders. If he hadn't taken over, he may well be still alive today. Danjuma learned a very important lesson from this.

2 Likes

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by ManMountain(m): 5:35pm On Jul 29, 2016
logicab:
There was enough reason for suspicion going by the pattern of the murders. If he hadn't taken over, he may well be still alive today. Danjuma learned a very important lesson from this.

Very true.

1 Like

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by logicab: 5:36pm On Jul 29, 2016
gartamanta:

If the above is true, the who is to be blamed for unitary rule we practice today? If someone introduces you to smuggling and you make a career of smuggling, who is to be blamed when you get caught? The person who introduced you to it or your self?
Funny analogy. Have you "caught" the Northerners? As long as they continue to enjoy Unitarianism, they are yielding all the dividends of the idea given them by Ironsi.
Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by DobleO7: 5:38pm On Jul 29, 2016
logicab:

I don't blame the North for the counter coup because everything had Igbo written all over it. They had to stand for something.

1 Like

Re: Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death by oglalasioux(m): 5:38pm On Jul 29, 2016
Faguyi was part of the first coup. Though Ironsi wasn't, his apparent shielding of the coup plotters was his waterloo. Those who participated in subsequent coups in Nigeria were summarily shot according to military tradition no matter which part of the country they came from. If anyone can understand Chimamanda Adichie, it's obvious that the problems of Nigeria started when the Igbos wanted everything.

Truly, the northerners were fostering corruption at the time but who taught them corruption? Okotie Eboh remains the architect of all corrupt practices in the Nigerian system. The only thing the northerners wanted was power. Southerners were making all the money and amassing industries. The January 1966 coup was one mistake too many.

I don't think that wound healed with Ironsi's death. I don't think it will ever heal. Nigeria will continue to thrive in corruption and suspicion until it's peoples divide and form their separate nations.

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Atiku Was Searched By Presidential Security Agents At Abuja Airport / See The Cost Of Shutting Down The Internet Per Day (A Must Read) / How Southern Ijaw People Transport Their Luggage In Bayelsa (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.