Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,846 members, 7,806,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP (10668 Views)

Makarfi Committee Collects N50m Monthly From Govs – PDP / Ali Modu-Sherrif Forceful Entry Into Party Secretariat Is Illegal - PDP / Court Declares PDP Caretaker Committee Illegal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by chie8: 5:51pm On Jul 29, 2016
LET’S SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT BEING THE CONTENT OF PRESS CONFERENCE BY PRINCE ADEDAYO ADEYEYE MEMBER OF THE PDP NATIONAL CARETAKER COMMITTEE ON 29TH JULY, 2016

Ladies and Gentlemen of the press:

As you are aware yesterday 28th day of July, 2016, the case filed by Sen. Ali Modu Sheriff and 8 other Plaintiffs against the Peoples Democratic Party and the Independent National Electoral Commission i.e. Suit No: FHC/ABJ/CS/464/2016 came up before Hon. Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Abuja Division.

The Plaintiffs filed an application to stop the National Convention slated for 17th August, 2016 at Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

When this matter came for hearing yesterday 28th July, 2016, Learned Senior Counsel Ferdinand Orbih, SAN who was briefed to represent the 2nd defendant, the Peoples Democratic Party announced appearance for the said 2nd Defendant PDP.

O.O. Fakunle, SAN also announced appearance for the PDP claiming to have been briefed by one Barr. Bashir Maidugu who is the 5th Plaintiff in the matter.

In addition, members of the National Caretaker Committee applied to be joined as Parties to the case. The application for joinder was filed by Yunus Ustaz Usman, SAN and Mr. Raji Ahmed, SAN.

That was the only application that was argued yesterday 28th July, 2016, and adjourned to 15th August, 2016 for ruling.

Now on the widely reported “ORDERS” purported to have been made by Hon. Justice Okon Abang, it is important to note the following:

a. The motion seeking to restrain the PDP from conducting the proposed 17th August, 2016 National Convention has not been heard by the Court and no date has been fixed for the hearing of same.

b. What was before the Court yesterday was the issue of who is the authentic legal Counsel for the PDP as between Ferdinand Orbih, SAN and O.O. Fakunle, SAN.

The Court in determining the question of Legal representation held that the appointment of O.O. Fakunle, SAN by Sen. Ali Modu Sheriff was acceptable to the Court.

It must be emphasized that at no stage did the Hon. Judge set aside the judgment of Justice A.M. Liman of the Port Harcourt Division of the Federal High Court, which could have led to the dissolution of the National Caretaker Committee.
An Order validating Sheriff as National Chairman could not have arisen from the issue of proper legal representation.

For the avoidance of doubt, the portion of the ruling relating to this is herein- under reproduced:
“Though I have powers to nullify the decision of the Port Harcourt Division that recognized Makarfi Leadership, I will not do so because there is no application to that effect before me. I will, however allow the Court of Appeal to do justice to that”

This is necessary because proceedings of Courts of Law should not be subject of subjective manipulation. We are a law abiding Committee and will always continue to operate within the ambit of the law.

It is not possible in Law that a Judge of a Court of record will acknowledge the existence of a valid judgment and proceed to make the kind of Orders purportedly attributed to him.

Ladies and Gentlemen; it should be very clear to you now that the ruling of yesterday did not at any point hand over the Leadership of PDP to Sen. Ali Modu sheriff, it did not declare the Sen. Makarfi led Caretaker Committee illegal and did not stop the proposed 17th August, 2016 National Convention.

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/07/court-did-not-declare-sheriff-pdp.html

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by counsellorwiser(m): 5:54pm On Jul 29, 2016
It is disgraceful that pdp has fallen apart just after one year away from the center of power. Everyone would quickly blame federal government for this endless crisis and implosion. Who wouldn't engineer a weakened disorganized opposition? Apc simply are taking dubious advantage of an obvious leadership vacuum and series tactical blunders in a headless party of selfish individuals. Disband it and create a new party.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by TippyTop(m): 6:11pm On Jul 29, 2016
Wake me up when Bubu allows our judiciary to operate independently.
I see the hand of Bubu in all these fiasco.

6 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Integrityfarms(m): 9:55am On Jul 30, 2016
This Justice Abang is just breeding anarchy and negative judicial precedence sandwiched with confusion in the Nigeria Judiciary!

2 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 30, 2016
grin

7 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 30, 2016
TippyTop:

PDP internal matter....PDP problem.

APC has nothing to do with it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by richidinho(m): 9:56am On Jul 30, 2016
I think its our media not Justice Abang that is the problem

7 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by cyberdurable(m): 9:56am On Jul 30, 2016
grin grin I pledge to Nigeria my zoo....

To be an Igbo...the land of the rising sun...

5 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Zico5(m): 9:57am On Jul 30, 2016
Why can't these people put their house in order and work for the benefit of Nigeria. The way things are going it will be difficult for PDP to win even local government post. Two kings cannot rule a town and where such happens, it is tantamount to destruction.

1 Like

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by jkaro(m): 9:59am On Jul 30, 2016
Nigeria politics is like error.. Dnt believe politicians wordwide

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Toeyoursea(m): 10:01am On Jul 30, 2016
PDP: We are coming back 2019

Me:

1 Like

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by 2eggs1goal: 10:01am On Jul 30, 2016
Buhari,Tinubu and oshi baba are behide all these, Trying to kill the opposition from within. from change to progress thinking they can deceive us.

5 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Franchise21(m): 10:02am On Jul 30, 2016
Noted grin

1 Like

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by idealuv: 10:02am On Jul 30, 2016
cry of a drowning man.

1 Like

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by babdap: 10:02am On Jul 30, 2016
PDP is dying ooooooo.

2 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by arijay(m): 10:03am On Jul 30, 2016
Confusion every where in PDP and APC is laughing. God de.

2 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by sayyid(m): 10:04am On Jul 30, 2016
imagine they are even fighting on which lawyer is to represent the case or not
Smh for PDP

1 Like

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Epiczi(m): 10:06am On Jul 30, 2016
OK na
Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Blacky287(m): 10:07am On Jul 30, 2016
You better put your house in order PDP to avoid confusion in the subsequent elections holding in some states so you can come up with victory as one party not as a divided house

2 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by senator000: 10:13am On Jul 30, 2016
chie8:
LET’S SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT BEING THE CONTENT OF PRESS CONFERENCE BY PRINCE ADEDAYO ADEYEYE MEMBER OF THE PDP NATIONAL CARETAKER COMMITTEE ON 29TH JULY, 2016

Ladies and Gentlemen of the press:

As you are aware yesterday 28th day of July, 2016, the case filed by Sen. Ali Modu Sheriff and 8 other Plaintiffs against the Peoples Democratic Party and the Independent National Electoral Commission i.e. Suit No: FHC/ABJ/CS/464/2016 came up before Hon. Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Abuja Division.

The Plaintiffs filed an application to stop the National Convention slated for 17th August, 2016 at Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

When this matter came for hearing yesterday 28th July, 2016, Learned Senior Counsel Ferdinand Orbih, SAN who was briefed to represent the 2nd defendant, the Peoples Democratic Party announced appearance for the said 2nd Defendant PDP.

O.O. Fakunle, SAN also announced appearance for the PDP claiming to have been briefed by one Barr. Bashir Maidugu who is the 5th Plaintiff in the matter.

In addition, members of the National Caretaker Committee applied to be joined as Parties to the case. The application for joinder was filed by Yunus Ustaz Usman, SAN and Mr. Raji Ahmed, SAN.

That was the only application that was argued yesterday 28th July, 2016, and adjourned to 15th August, 2016 for ruling.

Now on the widely reported “ORDERS” purported to have been made by Hon. Justice Okon Abang, it is important to note the following:

a. The motion seeking to restrain the PDP from conducting the proposed 17th August, 2016 National Convention has not been heard by the Court and no date has been fixed for the hearing of same.

b. What was before the Court yesterday was the issue of who is the authentic legal Counsel for the PDP as between Ferdinand Orbih, SAN and O.O. Fakunle, SAN.

The Court in determining the question of Legal representation held that the appointment of O.O. Fakunle, SAN by Sen. Ali Modu Sheriff was acceptable to the Court.

It must be emphasized that at no stage did the Hon. Judge set aside the judgment of Justice A.M. Liman of the Port Harcourt Division of the Federal High Court, which could have led to the dissolution of the National Caretaker Committee.
An Order validating Sheriff as National Chairman could not have arisen from the issue of proper legal representation.

For the avoidance of doubt, the portion of the ruling relating to this is herein- under reproduced:
“Though I have powers to nullify the decision of the Port Harcourt Division that recognized Makarfi Leadership, I will not do so because there is no application to that effect before me. I will, however allow the Court of Appeal to do justice to that”

This is necessary because proceedings of Courts of Law should not be subject of subjective manipulation. We are a law abiding Committee and will always continue to operate within the ambit of the law.

It is not possible in Law that a Judge of a Court of record will acknowledge the existence of a valid judgment and proceed to make the kind of Orders purportedly attributed to him.

Ladies and Gentlemen; it should be very clear to you now that the ruling of yesterday did not at any point hand over the Leadership of PDP to Sen. Ali Modu sheriff, it did not declare the Sen. Makarfi led Caretaker Committee illegal and did not stop the proposed 17th August, 2016 National Convention.

Source: http://www.trezzyblog.com/2016/07/court-did-not-declare-sheriff-pdp.html
could it be that APC is taking advantage of the situation in PDP by spreading fake rumors all over the press just to distract the PDP faithful? Nawaooooo this people won't stop at nothing... Why would they come up to say that the Markafi led committee have been suspended and the convention has being canceled?

3 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by sunnymaja(m): 10:17am On Jul 30, 2016
Nigerians should wake up against all lawyers that deliberately misinterprete court judgement and thereby misleading people. Lawyers abroad plead for leniency when they know their clients actually committed the offence but in Nigeria they will claim law and deliberately frustrate the judicial process. That is one of the problems confronting the parties.

2 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by valiantheartprod(f): 10:19am On Jul 30, 2016
PDP did you chop witche in a way that your party is scattering abroad sad cry

1 Like

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by uzoenry: 10:41am On Jul 30, 2016
TippyTop:
brother pls wake up to reality ur pdp is dieing, so dnt blame anybody fr it

1 Like

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by ransomed: 10:43am On Jul 30, 2016
TippyTop:
:::---Whenever judgment favours Fee Dee Fee it is democracy and rule of law but, whenever it against the Umbrella, it is injustice and handiwork of Buhari. I put it to you that; it was Fee Dee Fee that appointed the current crop of judges and judicial officers. Let them perform their legitimate duties without fear or favour. Remember that Ali Modu Sheriff was on his own when your "political prodigal sons" beckoned on him to come rescue, salvage and re-position your defeated, sick and bankrupt party. He gave it a lifeline and your use and dump mentality got activated to excuse him out but, he tactically and "boko-haramly" pays you back in your own coins. Leave Mr. President out of your implosion and pardition. Thanks.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Pidggin(f): 10:43am On Jul 30, 2016
counsellorwiser:
It is disgraceful that pdp has fallen apart just after one year away from the center of power. Everyone would quickly blame federal government for this endless crisis and implosion. Who wouldn't engineer a weakened disorganized opposition? Apc simply are taking dubious advantage of an obvious leadership vacuum and series tactical blunders in a headless party of selfish individuals. Disband it and create a new party.

Must you post? Falling apart indeed. Wait till they take over in 2019

1 Like

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by PhockPhockMan: 11:11am On Jul 30, 2016
OK
Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Ijaya123: 11:13am On Jul 30, 2016
2eggs1goal:
Buhari,Tinubu and oshi baba are behide all these, Trying to kill the opposition from within. from change to progress thinking the can deceive us.

The kind of comment you get when people are lazy upstairs and can't apply that stuff between their ears to good use.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by Abdul4trust1(m): 11:15am On Jul 30, 2016
TippyTop:
must You Put Every Blame On Buhari?

1 Like

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by 2eggs1goal: 11:24am On Jul 30, 2016
Ijaya123:

The kind of comment you get when people are lazy upstairs and can't apply that stuff between their ears to good use.
Mr will you shut up there, thats my personal opinion, you can as well give yours since you have something upstairs without mentioning me.
Or you need my comment to express yourself. Ode

2 Likes

Re: Court Didn't Declare Sheriff PDP Chairman Or Makarfi Committee Illegal: PDP by EmmaOgbu(m): 11:45am On Jul 30, 2016
V

(1) (2) (Reply)

APC Chairman Promises To Work Towards Tinubu Presidency / Okorocha Visits House Of Representatives, Pictured With Dogara (photo) / Multiple Suicide Bombings Rock University Of Maiduguri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.