Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,851 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

What I Don't Understand - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What I Don't Understand (1201 Views)

Benny Hinn: I Am So Wrong About Prosperity Gospel, I Don't Fly Private Jets / 'I Sold My Soul To Satan So What? I Don't Want No Heaven' - Nigerian Lady Shocks / Do Witches & Wizards Exist? I Don't Think So! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What I Don't Understand by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 29, 2016
Ever since I came across Nairaland, I have noticed that Mr Seun Osewa have never for once supported any biblical principle.
Could it be that Mr Seun is an Atheist or an Apostate?
Re: What I Don't Understand by bullseye90(m): 6:48pm On Jul 29, 2016
only Mr ssun or lala can answer that. if u ask me na who I go ask? FTC.

bullseye
Re: What I Don't Understand by Richirich713: 7:26pm On Jul 29, 2016
He's not a christian.
Re: What I Don't Understand by TomHagen: 8:11pm On Jul 29, 2016
Mrlemuel:
Ever since I came across Nairaland, I have noticed that Mr Seun Osewa have never for once supported any biblical principle.
Na because of this thing you open thread? You deserve correct ban.
Re: What I Don't Understand by Nobody: 8:18pm On Jul 29, 2016
Is that not obvious I mean reading his comments self shows that. It's his life. I don't judge.
Re: What I Don't Understand by kilo4sure: 10:59pm On Jul 29, 2016
It is not totally wrong to be a skeptic, to ask questions and try to find answers. Seun's posts on the bible from what l have seen are just skeptical. The problem is when you begin to trust your skepticism, you become right in your own eyes, you want to confirm your own beliefs doing everything possible to counter the other side, and seeing only what you want to see.
We the religious are sometimes guilty of this, and subconsciously atheists are also guilty of this. This is where the atheists crosses the line of skepticism into pure undiluted bias.
Re: What I Don't Understand by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jul 29, 2016
bullseye90:
only Mr ssun or lala can answer that. if u ask me na who I go ask? FTC.

bullseye
Lol, U For Ask Ifa Nao.
Re: What I Don't Understand by Nobody: 11:37pm On Jul 29, 2016
Richirich713:
He's not a christian.
Thanks Bro, Glad To Know.
Re: What I Don't Understand by Nobody: 11:42pm On Jul 29, 2016
TomHagen:
Na because of this thing you open thread? You deserve correct ban.
I Only Asked A Question, Itz Not As If I Asked For Both Of His Kidneys Anyway, Nd Instead U To Criticize Me, U Should Have Just Kept Quiet.
Thank You All Thesame.
Re: What I Don't Understand by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jul 29, 2016
MissHatey:
Is that not obvious I mean reading his comments self shows that. It's his life. I don't judge.
Thanks Bro, That One Show Say U Be Correct Guy.
Re: What I Don't Understand by Nobody: 11:49pm On Jul 29, 2016
kilo4sure:
It is not totally wrong to be a skeptic, to ask questions and try to find answers. Seun's posts on the bible from what l have seen are just skeptical. The problem is when you begin to trust your skepticism, you become right in your own eyes, you want to confirm your own beliefs doing everything possible to counter the other side, and seeing only what you want to see.
We the religious are sometimes guilty of this, and subconsciously atheists are also guilty of this. This is where the atheists crosses the line of skepticism into pure undiluted bias.
Thanks A Million Bro, Am New On NL, And Have Always Held Mr Seun In High Esteen Ever Since I Heard Of Him, Hence My Reason For Asking The Above Question. You Have Just Opened My Mind To New Ways, God Bless You.
Re: What I Don't Understand by Nobody: 12:03am On Jul 30, 2016
Mrlemuel:

Thanks Bro, That One Show Say U Be Correct Guy.
I am a lady bro angry
Re: What I Don't Understand by Nobody: 1:10am On Jul 30, 2016
MissHatey:
I am a lady bro angry
Silly Me, Didn't Notice That, Sorry, And Thanks One Again... Ma.
Re: What I Don't Understand by honourhim: 9:19am On Jul 30, 2016
Mrlemuel:

Seun is an atheist. He doesn't hide it.
Re: What I Don't Understand by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 30, 2016
honourhim:

Seun is an atheist. He doesn't hide it.
Thanks For The Answer
Re: What I Don't Understand by donnffd(m): 9:53pm On Jul 30, 2016
kilo4sure:

How exactly do someone trust in their skepticism?, i am curious...

Imagine this scenerio, we are friends, and i come tell you, i have an invisible pink unicorn in my house, but you cant see it, you obviously dont believe this because from what you know about the real world, unicorn doesnt exist now talkless of an invisible one. You then tell me that until i provide evidence for my invisible unicorn, you wont believe in it...

From the scenerio above, how exactly are you trusting in your skepticism?

4 Likes

Re: What I Don't Understand by kilo4sure: 12:39am On Jul 31, 2016
donnffd:

How exactly do someone trust in their skepticism?, i am curious...

Imagine this scenerio, we are friends, and i come tell you, i have an invisible pink unicorn in my house, but you cant see it, you obviously dont believe this because from what you know about the real world, unicorn doesnt exist now talkless of an invisible one. You then tell me that until i provide evidence for my invisible unicorn, you wont believe in it...

From the scenerio above, how exactly are you trusting in your skepticism?
When you keep comparing the concept of God( the ultimate) to unicorn, then you do not allow for any meaningful discussion.

1 Like

Re: What I Don't Understand by donnffd(m): 7:42am On Jul 31, 2016
kilo4sure:

When you keep comparing the concept of God( the ultimate) to unicorn, then you do not allow for any meaningful discussion.

First of all, i ddnt compare any concept, i asked a simple question, how do one trust in skepticism?!

Secondly, God (the ultimate) as you like to call him is only that to you, i would assume you are a christian, your God is as real as a unicorn to a muslim, hindu, buddhist, jew, taoist, and yes, an atheist. Not all religious people even believes your God is real, and would gladly compare him to a unicorn just the same way you would compare their gods to an imaginary object.
So, if you get annoyed that one doesnt believe your God exists, then you wont have any meaningful discussion with anybody on earth who isnt a christian...

1 Like

Re: What I Don't Understand by kilo4sure: 9:11am On Jul 31, 2016
donnffd:

First of all, i ddnt compare any concept, i asked a simple question, how do one trust in skepticism?!

Secondly, God (the ultimate) as you like to call him is only that to you, i would assume you are a christian, your God is as real as a unicorn to a muslim, hindu, buddhist, jew, taoist, and yes, an atheist. Not all religious people even believes your God is real, and would gladly compare him to a unicorn just the same way you would compare their gods to an imaginary object.
So, if you get annoyed that one doesnt believe your God exists, then you wont have any meaningful discussion with anybody on earth who isnt a christian...
Lol, why should l get annoyed? The concept of God goes beyond religion and is a viable concept in philosophy, and only ignorant atheists still sprout that old worn out line of the likes of Betrand Russell who compare the God concept to a material entity, so l think you do not even understand the discussion in the first place.
To answer your question, putting trust in your skepticism (maybe not the best way to put it) means you think the other positions are dumb, and when you disbelieve something, you become so sure that your doubt is warranted and cannot be cured, you go ahead to shield your non belief from every possible answer. This is no longer free thinking or skepticism, an example is how atheists conjure up all sort of silly explanations to explain away the experiences of those who see things around them even when they are unconscious. I am not saying atheists must believe in the possibility that the brain does not totally control the mind, or that the natural is not all there is, but having the super intelligent air and confidence about your worldview in cases like this is not reasonable.Let's just all keep searching with an open mind.
I defend your right to believe that the material world you see is all there is, but it is also reasonable to believe that there is something beyond us which we continually seek.
Re: What I Don't Understand by donnffd(m): 10:10am On Jul 31, 2016
kilo4sure:

Lol, why should l get annoyed? The concept of God goes beyond religion and is a viable concept in philosophy, and only ignorant atheists still sprout that old worn out line of the likes of Betrand Russell who compare the God concept to a material entity, so l think you do not even understand the discussion in the first place.

What are you saying?, i ddnt even mention God in my question, why are you jumping the gun?...smh

To answer your question, putting trust in your skepticism (maybe not the best way to put it) means you think the other positions are dumb, and when you disbelieve something, you become so sure that your doubt is warranted and cannot be cured, you go ahead to shield your non belief from every possible answer. This is no longer free thinking or skepticism, an example is how atheists conjure up all sort of silly explanations to explain away the experiences of those who see things around them even when they are unconscious. I am not saying atheists must believe in the possibility that the brain does not totally control the mind, or that the natural is not all there is, but having the super intelligent air and confidence about your worldview in cases like this is not reasonable.Let's just all keep searching with an open mind.
I defend your right to believe that the material world you see is all there is, but it is also reasonable to believe that there is something beyond us which we continually seek.

Firstly, atheism is not a belief system, so perspective changes from atheist to atheist, so your first line of action should have been to ask my views on certain things instead of speaking generically.

Next, I asked you that question and used an example to illustrate my point, in the example, you ddnt say i ddnt have an invisible unicorn, you only said you wouldnt believe it until i brought sufficient evidence.
Now thats how i view my own scepticism, There hasnt been a single shred of undeniable evidence supporting any claims of the supernatural and the immaterial world, so why should i believe in such things?.
People claim God is immaterial and outside space and time, but how do those people know if they are also bound by space and time, and has never left space and time to see whats beyond?

So is it trusting in my disbelief to not agree until given reasonable evidence?
Re: What I Don't Understand by kilo4sure: 10:36am On Jul 31, 2016
donnffd:

What are you saying?, i ddnt even mention God in my question, why are you jumping the gun?...smh

Firstly, atheism is not a belief system, so perspective changes from atheist to atheist, so your first line of action should have been to ask my views on certain things instead of speaking generically.

Next, I asked you that question and used an example to illustrate my point, in the example, you ddnt say i ddnt have an invisible unicorn, you only said you wouldnt believe it until i brought sufficient evidence.
Now thats how i view my own scepticism, There hasnt been a single shred of undeniable evidence supporting any claims of the supernatural and the immaterial world, so why should i believe in such things?.
People claim God is immaterial and outside space and time, but how do those people know if they are also bound by space and time, and has never left space and time to see whats beyond?

So is it trusting in my disbelief to not agree until given reasonable evidence?
So what would then be reasonable evidence to you? Do you mean evidence in terms of matheematical proof? In my view the arguement is all about reasonable belief given the evidence and not a form of scientific evidence which l believe you are asking for. But first tell me, what is reasonable evidence?
Re: What I Don't Understand by donnffd(m): 11:39am On Jul 31, 2016
kilo4sure:

So what would then be reasonable evidence to you? Do you mean evidence in terms of matheematical proof? In my view the arguement is all about reasonable belief given the evidence and not a form of scientific evidence which l believe you are asking for. But first tell me, what is reasonable evidence?

If we saw an amputee grow back their limbs
If we saw new species forming from the dust
If we saw virgins giving birth
If we saw people walking on water
If we saw snakes and donkeys talking

That would be a start...
Re: What I Don't Understand by kilo4sure: 7:37pm On Jul 31, 2016
donnffd:

If we saw an amputee grow back their limbs
If we saw new species forming from the dust
If we saw virgins giving birth
If we saw people walking on water
If we saw snakes and donkeys talking

That would be a start...

This argument goes beyond religion, the question of God's existence is also a philosophical argument, but from what you are saying, you want God to perform magic to your face to convince you, if truly God exist. Let me ask, what would convince you of the Deist God?
Re: What I Don't Understand by donnffd(m): 8:43pm On Jul 31, 2016
kilo4sure:

This argument goes beyond religion, the question of God's existence is also a philosophical argument, but from what you are saying, you want God to perform magic to your face to convince you, if truly God exist. Let me ask, what would convince you of the Deist God?

Beautiful question!

The difference between a deist God and no God at all is absolutely nothing.

There is no point if he wasnt responsible for anything whatsoever except for starting the universe, so whats the point?
Re: What I Don't Understand by kilo4sure: 9:13pm On Jul 31, 2016
donnffd:

Beautiful question!

The difference between a deist God and no God at all is absolutely nothing.

There is no point if he wasnt responsible for anything whatsoever except for starting the universe, so whats the point?
Well maybe to overcome death, who knows? And to find meaning and hope from that ultimate being to conquer a universe so indifferent. #Just thinking #
Re: What I Don't Understand by donnffd(m): 6:51am On Aug 01, 2016
kilo4sure:

Well maybe to overcome death, who knows? And to find meaning and hope from that ultimate being to conquer a universe so indifferent. #Just thinking #

If so, then the belief in this kind of being is not based on fact, rationality or reality rather its based on sentiment and emotions.
If we believe things just because they feel good or sound right, then we would believe the world is a paradise.
Is that rational?
Re: What I Don't Understand by kilo4sure: 7:09am On Aug 01, 2016
donnffd:

If so, then the belief in this kind of being is not based on fact, rationality or reality rather its based on sentiment and emotions.
If we believe things just because they feel good or sound right, then we would believe the world is a paradise.
Is that rational?
Way to twist my words, you said if the deist God exist there is no need to search for him. I gave you reasons why there may still be a need to search for him.
Re: What I Don't Understand by donnffd(m): 8:26am On Aug 01, 2016
kilo4sure:

Way to twist my words, you said if the deist God exist there is no need to search for him. I gave you reasons why there may still be a need to search for him.

Alright, but if he wasnt responsible for anything that happened in the universe, if everything was just a cosmic accident and nothing was planned except the starting of the universe, what is the assurance he would care about what happens to us when we die?, he obviously doesnt interfere with the workings of the universe as it is!!!
Re: What I Don't Understand by kilo4sure: 8:32am On Aug 01, 2016
donnffd:

Alright, but if he wasnt responsible for anything that happened in the universe, if everything was just a cosmic accident and nothing was planned except the starting of the universe, what is the assurance he would care about what happens to us when we die?, he obviously doesnt interfere with the workings of the universe as it is!!!
But since he was able to start the universe, knowing him and his nature would help our science a lot, and would at least hurt no one, or don't you think so?
Re: What I Don't Understand by donnffd(m): 9:11am On Aug 01, 2016
kilo4sure:

But since he was able to start the universe, knowing him and his nature would help our science a lot, and would at least hurt no one, or don't you think so?

I agree, it would if it was proven that there was indeed a being behind the kick-starting of the universe, but the fact still remains that there hasnt been any tangible reason to believe that the cause of the big-bang was even conscious.

In my opinion, God as always been the answer for our ignorance:

2000years ago

Who created the sun?, i dont know so God did it
Where did humans come from?, i dont know so God did it
Why is the sky blue?, i dont know so God did it
Where did the universe come from?, i dont know so God did it

Present day
Who created the sun?, - Gravity was the main reason why stars and planets form
Where did humans come from?, Evolution
Why is the sky blue?, Nitrogen is the most abundant element in the atmosphere and its scatters blue light
Where did the universe come from?, The big bang
How did the big bang start?, i dont know so God did it

God only starts where our knowledge stops...

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Judgement Of Islamic And Christian Religion On Incision (gbere) In Y / The Great Tribulation Has Ended. / Let's Pay Our Tithes To Nairalanders In Need. Drop Your Account Numbers Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.