Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,753 members, 7,806,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline (9744 Views)

Skye Bank, First Bank Take Over Evans Medical Assets / Budget: FG Targets N100bn From Islamic Bond, And / Man Becomes A Millionaire With Skye Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Truth234(m): 6:59am On Jul 30, 2016
Skye Bank Plc has received over N100bn in liquidity from the Central Bank of Nigeria since July 4 to shore up its operations, its new Managing Director, Mr. Tokunmbo Abiru, has said.

He told reporters on Friday that the CBN staff had been working at the bank for two weeks to support the lender, Reuters reported.

The CBN had said it provided a loan to the lender to boost its liquidity after Skye Bank breached requirements on capital and lending, a development that made the central bank to replace its Board of Directors and management.

The short-term lending facility will allow new management to “ensure that some withdrawals it suffered in the wake of the undue panic of last week do not adversely affect its operations,’’ the Acting Director, Corporate Communications, CBN, Mr. Isaac Okorafor, had said in an emailed response to questions.

He said the CBN had also issued guarantees to the bank’s depositors and creditors as a demonstration of its health.

The CBN had replaced the top managers of the bank earlier.

But while the regulator has moved to calm markets, saying Skye and the industry remained healthy, the bank’s stocks have been plunging to record lows.

The CBN has said it has no plan to sell Skye Bank.

The CBN guarantee will not only enhance Skye Bank’s interbank trading and activities; but will also provide assurance to the other banks to continue to deal with and trade with the bank’s instruments in the interbank market.

Meanwhile, Abiru disclosed that the bank posted pre-tax loss in 2015. Similarly, Learn Africa Plc, Caverton Offshore Support Group Plc and ABC Transport Plc recorded losses of various degrees in their 2016 half-year financial results

Skye Bank recorded a loss of N40.7bn for 2015 financial, which is a drop from N18.7bn profit recorded the previous year.

Learn Africa posted a loss before tax of N352.1m for 2016 H2 versus loss of N167.1m a year ago, according to the figures presented by the firm to the Nigerian Stock Exchange on Friday.

Its half-year ended June 2016 revenue was N135.7m compared to N444.3m a year ago.

Caverton Offshore Support though reported a group half-year revenue of N9.14bn compared to N11.91m a year ago, recorded a group loss before tax of N2.36bn versus profit of N1.76bn a year ago.

ABC Transport also reported a half-year loss before tax of N333.8m for 2016. It had reported a profit of N64.5m a year ago. Its half-year ended June 2016 group revenue was N3.71bn compared to N3.31bn a year ago.

http://investorsking.com/skye-bank-gets-n100bn-cbn-lifeline/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Adesiji77: 7:15am On Jul 30, 2016
Nice move. The N40bn loss is a record for them though...

Cc: lalasticlala, dominique, Mynd44

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Lexusgs430: 1:03pm On Jul 30, 2016
haba
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by HRich(m): 1:03pm On Jul 30, 2016
So that kind money dey Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by bankyblue(m): 1:03pm On Jul 30, 2016
n
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by steffans(m): 1:06pm On Jul 30, 2016
So CBN get dis kind money?

Buhari pays salary slowly..

Rio Olympic athletes have gotten nothing from d FG.. I suppose!

She how dey kept Keshi's family in d sun et Al..

Is d country really broke?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Millz404(m): 1:07pm On Jul 30, 2016
Any which way... My small money in that bank shouldn't be played with... If not na one plasma wey i don d eye for one branch i go use screw driver go loose

14 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by ibkgab001: 1:10pm On Jul 30, 2016
Ok is that not HAKUNA MATATA of a thing
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by jydeskill1(m): 1:15pm On Jul 30, 2016
N40 billion loss in 12 months, Management team changed, 100 billion bail out, and you tell me d Bank is not distressed. Nigerians always taking for granted since 1900....... Thank God my hard earned fund is not there.

3 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by misterchris(m): 1:19pm On Jul 30, 2016
The skye is big enough. Full of possibilities.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by misterchris(m): 1:20pm On Jul 30, 2016
Endless possibilities.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by muller101(m): 1:20pm On Jul 30, 2016
Millz404:
Any which way... My small money in that bank shouldn't be played with... If not na one plasma wey i don d eye for one branch i go use screw driver go loose
ur beatings na computer go record am.

2 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by DorisK(f): 1:30pm On Jul 30, 2016
Tor! Ogbasaram? I have withdrawn all my reasonable money there. Let dem be doing lifeline and death race on the change I left

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by mrvitalis(m): 1:35pm On Jul 30, 2016
The rich gamble with the money of the poor and when they fail the are bailed out with the money of the poor again and if they make profit The poor gets nothing
When will the CBN bail out unemployed graduates with nice business plan that's fantastic employees 2 to 15 people and just need 2 million to 15 million to start??
That's 100 billion will create direct employment for over 20,000 to 50000 entrepreneurs and they can employ 150,000 to 300000 people... If this is done every year for the last 15 years I think we would then be here
We need the peoples money to work for the people not for the rich

12 Likes

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by tboius(m): 1:40pm On Jul 30, 2016
Good move by the Regulator.

This pertinent in the mood for damage control as her announcement for change in the Skye bank's management caused the panic withdrawal hence the need to hurriedly salvage the situation.

For avoidance of doubt a N100b life line is an institutional credit guarantee for the bank's transaction in the money market and not a direct inflow of cash. It's still at a cost but will mean that should in case a number of depositors decide to move N100b at once from the commercial bank the CBN guarantee will allow it to pass without affecting the continuous operations of the bank. In actual fact, this is almost impossible. The direct implication is to guarantee depositors that their funds are safe with the bank which will further stem the bleeding (loss of deposit as blood of the bank). The sound health of these banks is mutually exclusive to financial and economic stability of the country.

P.S: Let's I forget the situation with Skye Bank is not unconnected with the prevailing economic situation of the country , the withdrawal of public sector fund through TSA etc these also affect a few other banks in the country. From confirmed source, CBN has decided to manage the situation with other affected banks as the evolving panic that characterized that of Skye bank was not envisaged.

This is a call for the DMBs to change their strategy and focus more on retail banking and other innovative banking that will stimulate economic growth, aggregate demand,employment generation and reduce the galloping inflationary rate which has reached its ever highest of about 20%.

Often times the economic situation of Nigeria has defiled most economic theories, hence we have to look inwards for indigenous economists with solutions to our peculiar situation.

God bless Nigeria!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by WEWE22(f): 2:03pm On Jul 30, 2016
When will they bailout the masses
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jul 30, 2016
Why does Skye bank need a bailout pls?
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by tboius(m): 2:24pm On Jul 30, 2016
blueseacats:
Why does Skye bank need a bailout pls?

The lifeline, like I said earlier was not an injection of funds to the bank. It was necessary to further mitigate the consequences of massive cash withdrawals from the bank as a result of the announcement of change in the bank's management.

Deposit is the blood of the commercial banks, loss of the deposit will be aneamic to their survival, therefore the life line/ window to continually allow her smooth operations, regain the lost funds, guarantee customers confidence like you and I, Dorisk, Millz404 & co and to get back to business In order to remain healthy as affirmed by CBN. The bank is one of the systemically Imporatnt Banks in Nigeria that cannot fail. This is not to say that we have banks that can fail in Nigeria as at today. The Soludo's CBN Post consolidation era in 2005-2006 has made it difficult for any bank to fail or be liquidated.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by DorisK(f): 2:41pm On Jul 30, 2016
tboius:

The lifeline, like I said earlier was not an injection of funds to the bank. It was necessary to further mitigate the consequences of massive cash withdrawals from the bank as a result of the announcement of change in the bank's management.

Deposit is the blood of the commercial banks, loss of the deposit will be aneamic to their survival, therefore the life line/ window to continually allow her smooth operations, regain the lost funds, guarantee customers confidence like you and I, Dorisk, Millz404 & co and to get back to business In order to remain healthy as affirmed by CBN. The bank is one of the systemically Imporatnt Banks in Nigeria that cannot fail. This is not to say that we have banks that can fail in Nigeria as at today. The Soludo's CBN Post consolidation era in 2005-2006 has made it difficult for any bank to fail or be liquidated.

Yea, right. So they get back to biz....And if per chance they happen to still fall out of biz, What will be my lot? I will start writing letters and memo to CBN and visiting head quarters and stuff. ... or do I look for u here on Nairaland?

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by mradjoy(m): 2:47pm On Jul 30, 2016
I am watching the situation in 4D as it unfolds, I'm afraid something isn't right with this bank at the moment.

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 30, 2016
steffans:
So CBN get dis kind money?

Buhari pays salary slowly..

Rio Olympic athletes have gotten nothing from d FG.. I suppose!

She how dey kept Keshi's family in d sun et Al..

Is d country really broke?

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Wize1: 3:27pm On Jul 30, 2016
tboius:
Good move by the Regulator.

This pertinent in the mood for damage control as her announcement for change in the Skye bank's management caused the panic withdrawal hence the need to hurriedly salvage the situation.

For avoidance of doubt a N100b life line is an institutional credit guarantee for the bank's transaction in the money market and not a direct inflow of cash. It's still at a cost but will mean that should in case a number of depositors decide to move N100b at once from the commercial bank the CBN guarantee will allow it to pass without affecting the continuous operations of the bank. In actual fact, this is almost impossible. The direct implication is to guarantee depositors that their funds are safe with the bank which will further stem the bleeding (loss of deposit as blood of the bank). The sound health of these banks is mutually exclusive to financial and economic stability of the country.

P.S: Let's I forget the situation with Skye Bank is not unconnected with the prevailing economic situation of the country , the withdrawal of public sector fund through TSA etc these also affect a few other banks in the country. From confirmed source, CBN has decided to manage the situation with other affected banks as the evolving panic that characterized that of Skye bank was not envisaged.

This is a call for the DMBs to change their strategy and focus more on retail banking and other innovative banking that will stimulate economic growth, aggregate demand,employment generation and reduce the galloping inflationary rate which has reached its ever highest of about 20%.

Often times the economic situation of Nigeria has defiled most economic theories, hence we have to look inwards for indigenous economists with solutions to our peculiar situation.

God bless Nigeria!

Thanks for the insightful comment. Definitely learnt a thing or two. Cheers!

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by tboius(m): 4:05pm On Jul 30, 2016
DorisK:

Yea, right. So they get back to biz....And if per chance they happen to still fall out of biz, What will be my lot? I will start writing letters and memo to CBN and visiting head quarters and stuff. ... or do I look for u here on Nairaland?

@DO RISK! learning is of focus on Nairaland. If you haven't taken anything from my posts, you can as well save all your kobo kobo under your mat! Certainly you can't do more than your "best"....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by tboius(m): 4:18pm On Jul 30, 2016
Wize1:

Thanks for the insightful comment. Definitely learnt a thing or two. Cheers!

@wise1. Your compliment is encouraging ,but your name says it all.

1 Like

Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Ndolarr: 4:24pm On Jul 30, 2016
The time has come for CBN to give account of all the bailouts and intervention funds it has given to various sectors of the economy! Jimoh Ibrahim says he did not benefit from the Aviation sector intervention fund, so who did? Very soon, Tunde Ayeni will deny ever receiving any bailout from CBN for Skye Bank!! A lot is wrong with our public service mentality in this country. Until a government institution like CBN is doggedly requested to account for how our money is spent, this practice of profligacy will continue un-abated!! Yet, we are sweating about high interest, inflation and exchange rates!!! More stupid spendings will soon be forced on Nigerians. Pity indeed!
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by DorisK(f): 4:31pm On Jul 30, 2016
tboius:

@DO RISK! learning is of focus on Nairaland. If you haven't taken anything from my posts, you can as well save all your kobo kobo under your mat! Certainly you can't do more than your "best"....

definitely. so why sweating in the first place
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by yongnoble(m): 4:38pm On Jul 30, 2016
Not Suprised since Buhari has a sizable number of shares in the bank
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Nobody: 6:11pm On Jul 30, 2016
Good
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Wolex143: 7:08pm On Jul 30, 2016
Choii if NDA hear this nw them go vex o........
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by dudet(f): 10:04pm On Jul 30, 2016
Abeg CBN should not say they are not aware there are two brothers of the same parents running the bank now; so how is what is going to happen if this continues different from what has happened before? Hypocrites!
Re: Skye Bank Gets N100bn CBN Lifeline by Nobody: 1:47am On Jul 31, 2016
tboius:

What you are describing is a typical western bank. Eg. Bank of America , wellsfargo, hsbc and co. No Nigerian bank is doing their responsibility to the economy, they give 70% of their loans to oil sector and reserve less than 30% to the real economy even the 30% they give to the real economy they give it at above 20% interest rate. The reason western countries issue bailouts to banks is so that banks can turn around and circulate the money through loan issuance so the populace can borrow and boost the economy.

Now let me ask you , who they get loan for Nigeria?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

FG, BOI Frustrate Yes-P Scheme As Participants Share Sad Experiences / How To Make $400+ Per Month For Life On Amazon Kdp (learn The Smart Way) / Attention: Take A Look At My Bank Account In This Hard Times (screenshot)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.