Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,384 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:53 AM

It’s Wrong For Christian Leaders To Encourage Reprisals – –JNI Sec-gen, Abubakar - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / It’s Wrong For Christian Leaders To Encourage Reprisals – –JNI Sec-gen, Abubakar (574 Views)

Bible Verses And Quotes To Encourage You In Trying Times / Is It Wrong For A Christian Husband And Wife To Attend Separate Churches?" / Religious Groups, Leaders To Buhari: Nigerians Are Hungry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It’s Wrong For Christian Leaders To Encourage Reprisals – –JNI Sec-gen, Abubakar by maimunat: 8:20am On Jul 30, 2016
Home Hot seat
Hot seatLatest News
It’s wrong for Christian leaders to encourage reprisals – –JNI Sec-Gen, Abubakar-Aliyu
July 30, 2016

JNI Sec-Gen, Abubakar-Aliyu

The Secretary-General of Jama’atu Nasril Islam, Dr. Khalid Abubakar-Aliyu, speaks with GODWIN ISENYO about the recent religious attacks and killings of Christians in northern Nigeria

A Christian, Francis Emmanuel, was recently stabbed by some Muslim youths for not fasting during the period. Some Nigerians have been wondering why Jama’atu Nasril Islam and other Islamic bodies have not reacted to it. Why the silence?

I heard about it based on the reports from the media which are as usual, painful and pathetic, and have been a departure from its code of ethics. This is when people just report things without having to verify. I have heard about that but there was a different version of it. It went viral that a Christian from Kakuri, who was not fasting, was stabbed to death for not fasting. It clearly shows that journalists don’t investigate. They have not gone to the community to find out what really happened. But a press statement was released by Kakuri Community Development Association over false allegations going round the country. The statement said “we wish to inform Kaduna Community and beyond that there was never an incident that occurred in Kakuri, where a Christian was stabbed because he was not fasting. This is the point. We wish to state that Francis Emmanuel, that is the name of the person, popularly known as ‘Boyi’, is a resident of Kakuri. From investigations, under the community platform, we have got the facts about what led to the incident, in which Francis Emmanuel was stabbed.  It was an incident which involved a group of miscreants and hooligans. The incident even took place in the beer parlor. It was based on misunderstanding between them. It has nothing to do with fasting or that one person is a Muslim or a Christian. From what we learnt, it was even Emmanuel that attempted to attack somebody with a weapon and another person outsmarted him and stabbed him. It has nothing to do with fasting but it went viral.” So, you wonder what type of journalism we are practising in this country. It is painful really. It is like crying wolf when there is none. When a misunderstanding between a Christian and a Muslim ensued, they used fasting and the media took it up and it became something else.

But then, is it compulsory, even for a Muslim to fast?

Of course, it is compulsory for a Muslim to fast, but there are concessions for someone who is ill, a woman observing her menstrual period, a woman who has just given birth and aged persons.  There are conditions which may warrant a Muslim not to fast during Ramadan. For instance, for people travelling from Kaduna to Abuja, if you can’t fast, it is allowed. People differ physiologically. From here to Abuja is more than 78 miles. So if you are travelling a distance of 78 miles and you know you can’t fast because of your health condition, you can break the fasting. People with chronic ulcer, who would not be able to stay without eating something, are exempted because they have been medically certified unfit to fast. Such a person pays only ransom. He feeds a poor man daily for not doing it himself.

But what is the punishment for Muslims who refuse to observe fasting?

One, he will be called to explain why he is not fasting. If he says that because he is ill, that is admissible. If he says he is a Muslim and that he doesn’t believe in fasting, that is something else. But as long as he has an admissible excuse in Islamic law, there is no problem. However, a Muslim cannot be a complete Muslim without fasting.

There have been series of attacks across the country, which in most cases are linked to Islam. How do you feel about this?

Our problem in this country is prejudgment.  When things happen, even before security agencies are there, it would have been concluded. Well, so be it. If it has been found that a Muslim has committed a crime, crime is a crime. And they should be punished under the law. But it is a maxim in law that everybody is presumed innocent until the contrary is proved. So, if it is proved, so be it. There are so many criminals who disguise themselves as Muslims and even shout ‘Allah Akbar’ and in the end, they will do something else. If you remember,  about  two or three years ago, during a bank robbery in Saminaka (Kaduna), after some bombers had blown up a bank, they shouted ‘Allah Akbar’ and what was in vogue then was Boko Haram and people then linked it to Islam without allowing those who have the statutory rights to investigate the crime. If it is discovered that a Muslim committed a crime, he or she should face the law.

Recently, there have been cases of religious intolerance and killing of Christians in the country but Muslim groups including the JNI have been silent. Why is that?

No! No!! No!!!  That is not true. The JNI issued a lot of press releases relating to what happened in Kano and in spite of the half truths about what happened in Abuja, Niger and even Plateau. On June 5, 2016, a day after the  Kano incident, involving Mrs. Bridget, there was a press release by the JNI condemning the dastardly act and I quote: ‘With pains and sobriety, Jama’atu Nasril Islam reacts to the most unfortunate alleged blasphemy that was reported to have happened in Wambai Area of Kano, Kano State and Pandogari, Rafi Local Government Council of Niger State. These ugly incidences utterly stand condemned and are regarded as criminal and un-Islamic, perpetrated by miscreants and criminals. We equally commiserate with Mr. Agbahime of Deeper Life Bible Church of Kano over the death of his wife, Mrs. Bridget Agbahime, as a result of injuries she sustained in the fracas that ensued between her and the hoodlums.

‘Similarly, the husband is commended for swiftly setting the records straight against all odds, by stating that his wife was not beheaded as reported by the media. We commend the various untiring efforts of the Kano and Niger state governments and also the Ulama in nipping in the bud, the unfortunate crises that would have engulfed both states. Likewise, the proactive measures of all the security agencies are also commendable and we implore that same be sustained.’

I personally signed all the press releases.  So, there is no truth in what is being said that the JNI was silent on the attacks. And whoever followed the chains of events that happened will know that the JNI doesn’t keep quiet. What is condemnable has been condemned.

The Sultan of Sokoto, last week, asked Muslims not to take laws into their hands. Don’t you think it came too late?

I really wonder which laws we have. Do we have any other laws than the ones we have in this county– the Nigerian Constitution- and it is not coming too late? It just happened. The incident took place in Plateau where the Sultan went to condole with the people over the killing of their paramount ruler and there, he said let investigation be carried out. And just last week, a palace worker, who was at the scene, gave an eyewitness account. There was reprisal and the Fulani people were being blamed. Even the report that they were going to the farm when the incident occurred was not true. They were actually going to erect a culvert and on their way, they began to hear gunshots. Two men in masks emerged from nowhere and shot at their pick-up van and the Emir, just by reflex, went out, only to be strangled by the river. Before you know, people had started taking laws into their hands by way of reprisals. In this country, people act without thinking of doing the right thing.  There is nothing like the reaction is coming late. Right from the time that I came on board six years ago as Secretary–General of the JNI, I can’t count the number of press releases made to condemn attacks across the country and this is done under the leadership of his eminence, the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar III, except if there is an agenda to smear his name. And whoever is sincere will commend this gentleman for being prompt in being sympathetic to situations.

But is it Islamic for Muslims to kill because other people do not share their faith?

Certainly not! You have always come to the secretariat of the JNI, has anybody ever molested you on account of not being a Muslim? You have always been welcome here and have lived in the midst of Muslims. I wonder if anyone has ever molested you. I think we should not lie whenever we want to achieve certain agenda. Rivalry and unhealthy competition will make people of different ethnic nationalities, religious beliefs to have issues. As human beings, we have a lot in common to share. We should care, love and understand one another as well as allow everyone to practise his own religion. Therefore, about your question, it is not Islamic to do that.

But most of religious killings are attributed to Muslims…

Well, it is easy to insinuate or claim, but is difficult to prove. So, all the killings in the country have been carried out by Muslims? In this country, we need to learn to really purge ourselves of being biased when we discuss issues. Criminal act has no religion or ethnic coloration. That is why our law books don’t say if a Christian or Muslim commits a crime, they say ‘whoever’ commits a crime. Now, the kidnapping that is being carried out in the South, why don’t we call it ‘Christian kidnapping’?  It is done by Christians. So, why don’t we create a picture that it is being carried out by Christians?  As the Niger Delta Avengers are currently bombing and destroying oil facilities in the South-South part of Nigeria, why don’t we refer to them as ‘Christian Avengers’?  Why is it that it is only when a Muslim commits a crime that it is linked to his religion?  They use derogatory words such as ‘Islamic fundamentalists.’  Why is it that if other Nigerians commit heinous crimes, they are not linked to their religions? Then, it means there is an agenda. There is a serious effort to tarnish the image of Islam and Muslims and unfortunately, this cannot succeed. If a Christian steals, for example, do you call the person Christian thief? But if it’s a Muslim, they call it ‘Muslim fundamentalist.’ This is troublesome.

Even the Secretary-General of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Rev. Musa Asake was quoted as having said that he would like to be challenged if there was any record of when a Christian killed Muslim for not sharing his faith. What is your view on that?

There are a lot of instances. In Jos, Plateau State, Christians were not only killing Muslims, they were being cannibalised. They killed them in numbers for no just cause. They were going for their Eid prayers at Eid prayer ground, legally acquired with documents and papers when they were brutally killed. These people had been observing there prayers on the same ground for years.  They were attacked, maimed, killed, roasted and cannibalised. It went viral all over the world. But as if there is a consensus in the Nigeria media, nobody took it serious. If it were Muslims that carried out the acts, the whole world would have heard about it. It is there if you google it and the widows of those killed are still in pains. It happened in September, 2011. Over 200 vehicles were burnt and dozens of Muslims were killed, maimed, roasted and eaten. Where is the media in this country? I stand to be corrected if any Nigerian media published it but the British Broadcasting Corporation did. There was no fight; they were just Muslims going to pray. And that time, they sent warnings that Muslims should not attempt to observe prayers in Nigeria on their legally acquired land. They surrounded them and killed them in dozens. Tell me where a Muslim cannibalised a Christian in this country? So, when people talk, let them be careful on what they say. Thank God, it is on records and can never be deleted. And up till this moment, no Christian was brought to justice for doing it. So, I challenge Rev. Asake on this.

Rev. Asake said that there will be need for Christians to defend themselves in the face of some of these attacks. Do you support this?

Certainly not, because we are people of peace, and as human beings, we cannot solve problems like that.  There are lots of calls by Christian leaders for Christians to take up arms. It is not only Rev. Asake. During the reign of Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor as the National President of the CAN, he called on Christians to defend themselves. How many times did he call on Christians to defend themselves when we were calming nerves?  I don’t and I believe that the JNI does not share the idea that Nigerians should take up arm as a way of solving problems. This really shows their short-sightedness as leaders. A leader is supposed to mend and call for peace. It doesn’t matter what happened. Already, with that call, he (Asake) has charged Christians. Maybe, they are stockpiling arms, who knows? And just waiting for the time when their leaders will call on them (Christians) to go out and kill Muslims. A Muslim had been eaten raw because the perpetrators enjoyed these but the blames are always heaped on Muslims, but when Muslims do it, then, there is no problem.

What do you think will happen if Christians take up arms against the killings?

It is unfortunate. It is unfortunate.

Some people say the recent cases of religious violence have been happening because Presidnt Muhammadu Buhari, a Muslim, is the leader now. Do you think so?

That reasoning is childish. I think when people are short of ideas, they begin to talk anyhow. They talk like uninformed people. That is childish. Is President Buhari elected on the platform of a religious political party? Is his vice (Prof. Yemi Osinbajo) not a prominent Christian leader? Did Christians not vote on platform of the same party? It is when people don’t have something to say that you hear something like this.

What is JNI’s position on the killing of Shiites and the detention of their leader? Some people say the JNI has been quiet as if Shiites are not Muslims.

I think the JNI condemned the action when it happened. We sent out a press release. In the release sent out on December 16, 2015, on the precarious state of insecurity in Zaria, ‘Kaduna State’ was the heading.  It read, ‘the JNI, after following the event as it unfolded reiterates in line with its previous related releases that lives are sacred and must be treated as such and restrain should always be exercised in the cause of discharging one’s civil, official or religious duties.’

Nigeria is currently struggling with challenges of security and economy. What are your thoughts on the situation?

One of the beauties of our dear country is that it is full of religious people. All we are supposed to do as leaders is to think before we act; take a deep breath before we utter utterances or statements; behave like religious  leaders, elders, and learned people and not like miscreants.  This is the crux and the most important role of clerics or religious leaders in trying moments and difficult times like now when we have problems of poverty, insecurity, hunger, starvation, unemployment and so on. Leaders are not supposed to heat up the polity. What a leader is supposed to do is to appeal to the followers and not to foment trouble or get into blame games. When you look at the issues of the Redeemed Church woman, late Mrs. Eunice, the report also went viral. You would see: ‘Muslims killing Christian; when will the Church fight back’. And it was already there. ‘They remove her head and two legs, says the husband.’ And it was not so.  Even the picture showed that her body was intact. And that of the Kano woman killed for blasphemy, they said she was beheaded and the husband said it was not true. When we begin to tell lies as religious leaders, what are we doing? We are overheating the polity and when you overheat the polity, you call for crisis. When you do that, then you are calling on people to get arms to kill themselves.  It is quite unfortunate. I think leadership is supposed to be aboveboard, better than the followers.

What is your take on the current military onslaught against Boko Haram?

It is quite commendable. I tell you, from 2009 until 2016, the Sallah ceremony was enjoyed in Maiduguri, Borno State.  Worshippers went out peacefully to pray and returned peacefully. This is really what we want. The government has done well and deserves some accolades, support, and encouragement from the citizenry.

What do you think about the activities of the Niger Delta Avengers and other militants in the Niger Delta area?

I think as human beings, we are supposed to live aboveboard and forgo the animalistic approach to issues. Why we are given intellect is for us to sit down together and dialogue. Even if you have a genuine and good case; when you want to put it in a violent way, then you are killing the sympathy and the merit of your agitation. So, it is important to dialogue. We have to respect the government and come to terms and discuss. And I think the problem is not beyond solution. It can be solved. Therefore, I call on them to eschew violence and embrace peace and dialogue.

What is the position of the JNI on the current anti-graft war of the Buhari administration? Do you also think the anti-graft campaign is a one-sided war?

First of all, the JNI applauds the current giant strides of the Buhari administration in fighting the scourge and epidemic of corruption. Nigerians are very special species of creation. We look like other people but we are not the same. Certainly, fighting corruption has to start from somewhere. It has to start somewhere and it doesn’t matter whose ox is gored. Does it mean if a Muslim is found to be corrupt and because he is Muslim, he will not be dealt with? Then the Muslim will say, ‘oh, it is because he is a Muslim’. If somebody commits a crime, let us try and remove that gab or gown of religion. When we begin to interpret abnormal acts by the religions of people, then, we cannot make headway as a country. By this, it means that all Christians or Muslims must not be touched or certain political parties must not be touched. Among all these, on whose head is the joker, Col. Sambo Dasuki.  Is he not a Muslim?  The whole thing revolves on Dasuki, a Muslim. But what did Muslims say? Nothing!  What do we really want Nigeria to be? If we don’t want corruption to be fought, let us say it and allow people to become criminals in the country. Let the war be total.

http://punchng.com/wrong-christian-leaders-encourage-reprisals-jni-sec-gen-abubakar-aliyu/
Re: It’s Wrong For Christian Leaders To Encourage Reprisals – –JNI Sec-gen, Abubakar by cornel994(m): 8:22am On Jul 30, 2016
Atleast condemn attacks on Christians via speech or any medium
Re: It’s Wrong For Christian Leaders To Encourage Reprisals – –JNI Sec-gen, Abubakar by saintkel(m): 8:31am On Jul 30, 2016
Make I go buy my ak47 de wait for dis retards..... Islamab..... Help me complete it
Re: It’s Wrong For Christian Leaders To Encourage Reprisals – –JNI Sec-gen, Abubakar by ikorodureporta: 10:51am On Jul 30, 2016
I no read am, bt make i buy space...
Re: It’s Wrong For Christian Leaders To Encourage Reprisals – –JNI Sec-gen, Abubakar by annunaki2(m): 1:04pm On Jul 30, 2016
Muslims and al taquiya are like bread and butter.

1 Like

Re: It’s Wrong For Christian Leaders To Encourage Reprisals – –JNI Sec-gen, Abubakar by Presbulg(m): 7:27pm On Jul 30, 2016
Very well said. Allah will soon bring down all these criminals hiding under religion. Insha Allah
Re: It’s Wrong For Christian Leaders To Encourage Reprisals – –JNI Sec-gen, Abubakar by Presbulg(m): 7:36pm On Jul 30, 2016
cornel994:
Atleast condemn attacks on Christians via speech or any medium

Yes infact he mentioned it

maimunat:

What is JNI’s position on the killing of Shiites and the detention of their leader? Some people say the JNI has been quiet as if Shiites are not Muslims.

I think the JNI condemned the action when it happened. We sent out a press release. In the release sent out on December 16, 2015, on the precarious state of insecurity in Zaria, ‘Kaduna State’ was the heading.  It read, ‘the JNI, after following the event as it unfolded reiterates in line with its previous related releases that lives are sacred and must be treated as such and restrain should always be exercised in the cause of discharging one’s civil, official or religious duties.’

(1) (Reply)

Stop Hiding! / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 01/09/16 / Muslim Cleric Butchers 25-year-old, Dumps His Parts On Expressway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.