Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,939 members, 7,806,719 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:45 PM

How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria (2119 Views)

2019: Anybody Above 60 Should Go And Rest Peacefully – Yerima / When Igbos Had Their Chance / 11 African Presidents Who Handed Over Power Peacefully (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by LordOfNaira: 4:44pm On Jul 30, 2016
I just finished reading Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun , and it got me thinking about the Nigerian Civil war; a war that could have been avoided.

In 1954, Action Group (The Western Party—Yoruba) demanded, at a constitutional conference held in London, that a right of secession be enshrined in the constitution of the emerging Nigerian nation to allow any part of the emergent nation to option out of Nigeria, should the need arise

This demand was rejected and resisted by the NCNC (The Eastern Party—Ibo). The NCNC would later be backed by the NPC (The Northern Party—Hausa/Fulani) who even threatened to view the demand of the AG as treasonable.

If the demand of the AG had been respected, the Nigerian Civil war wouldn't have happened.

You can read more on it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Civil_War

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by ClitRaider: 4:51pm On Jul 30, 2016
Wisdom!

4 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 30, 2016
hmmmm. Anyway...

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by CSTR12: 5:00pm On Jul 30, 2016
LordofNairaland:
I just finished reading Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun , and it got me thinking about the Nigerian Civil war; a war that could have been avoided.

In 1954, Action Group (The Western Party—Yoruba) demanded, at a constitutional conference held in London, that a right of secession be enshrined in the constitution of the emerging Nigerian nation to allow any part of the emergent nation to option out of Nigeria, should the need arise

This demand was rejected and resisted by the NCNC (The Eastern Party—Ibo). The NCNC would later be backed by the NPC (The Northern Party—Hausa/Fulani) who even threatened to view the demand of the AG as treasonable.

If the demand of the AG had been respected, the Nigerian Civil war wouldn't have happened.

You can read more on it here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Civil_War
Equating the decision of Nnamdi azikiwe to the entire igbo race is foolishness.
If it was left to Nnamdi azikiwe, ndi-igbo would never have secceeded .Which was why he never had any say in the secession that later came.
He lost his relevance to ojukwu.
Nnamdi azikiwe was more or less like an okorocha of the 60s, though much smarter, and more refined. Both of them pursued Nigeria's interests at the expense of igbo interest, unlike awolowo and his northern counterparts who couldn't give two shitts about Nigeria. Nnamdi was probably Nigeria's most patriotic leader ever, but then at what cost?
Sad really.

15 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by gartamanta: 5:36pm On Jul 30, 2016
CSTR12:
If it was left to Nnamdi azikiwe, ndi-igbo would never have secceeded .Which was why he never had any say in the secession that later came.
Nnamdi azikiwe was more or less like an okorocha of the 60s, though much smarter, and more refined. Both of them pursued Nigeria's interests at the expense of igbo interest, unlike awolowo and his northern counterparts who couldn't give two shitts about Nigeria. Nnamdi was probably Nigeria's most patriotic leader ever, but then at what cost?
Sad really.

I couldn't have said it any better. But I want to add that even if secession had been inserted into the constitution, it would have been the first thing the Notherners would have removed after their successful coup.

7 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by tibaonnet: 6:06pm On Jul 30, 2016
The vague idea in their heads is that it's Yoruba that is holding them back. They never sought to know their history, how their fore-fathers all in the name of protecting their interests went in collaboration with the Northerners to blocked their bloodless escape route.
OP thanks for this. Truly aroba ni baba itan.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by ManMountain(m): 6:21pm On Jul 30, 2016
gartamanta:

I couldn't have said it any better. But I want to add that even secession had been inserted into the constitution, it would have been the first thing the Notherners would have removed after their successful coup.

You guys are always looking for an excuse to absolve your own from the mess that Nigeria is. You love seeing others as the bad guys, meanwhile the foundation of everything wrong in Nigeria today is partly due to lack of foresight and wrong judgement on the part of your people.
Azikwe never did anything in the interest of the South, rather he is either pleasing the British or the Northerners, he was rewarded as the first president of Nigeria though, after serially betraying a southern cause

6 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by gartamanta: 6:29pm On Jul 30, 2016
ManMountain:

You guys are always looking for an excuse to absolve your own from the mess that Nigeria is. You love seeing others as the bad guys, meanwhile the foundation of everything wrong in Nigeria today is partly due to lack of foresight and wrong judgement on the part of your people.
Azikwe never did anything in the interest of the South, rather he is either pleasing the British or the Northerners, he was rewarded as the first president of Nigeria though, after serially betraying a southern cause

Wrong bro, the foundation of everything wrong with Nigeria was when Lugard brought incompatible people together.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by LordOfNaira: 6:43pm On Jul 30, 2016
gartamanta:

Wrong bro, the foundation of everything wrong with Nigeria was when Lugard brought incompatible people together.

Agreed, but other decisions made by the nationalists worsened things. Desperation for independence made the Yoruba and Ibo nationalists agree to Northern dominance.

But the AG understood that the new country may not hold on for long. You can't just carve out a nation from many differing tribes. I can't understand why anyone will think the amalgamation will work for long. It was an obvious blooper but only the AG allowed rooms for corrections.

3 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by brize(m): 7:06pm On Jul 30, 2016
Nigeria is signatory to the United Nation's right for self determination of Indigenous people. This is an international law and once you are signatory to it, it becomes binding....

7 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by kettle84(m): 7:08pm On Jul 30, 2016
tibaonnet:
The vague idea in their heads is that it's Yoruba that is holding them back. They never sought to know their history, how their fore-fathers all in the name of protecting their interests went in collaboration with the Northerners to blocked their bloodless escape route.
OP thanks for this. Truly aroba ni baba itan.
How there you say Yoloba is holding igbo back. Mr, Nigeria is a British creation. the civil war of the late 60s was a proxy war between Biafra and Britain.

5 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by ManMountain(m): 8:04pm On Jul 30, 2016
gartamanta:

Agreed that lugard brought people that have different orientations together, but why did Ironsi thought it wise to merged the different regions civil service with decree 34?
We will keep puncturing all your attempts to absolve your forefathers from this mess.
90% of the foundation of Nigeria present mess lay squarely on ibo military and political elites of the the 60's

7 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by ikarm17: 8:07pm On Jul 30, 2016
CSTR12:
Sad really.

But it's okay to equate Awolowo's wise war tactic on the Yoruba race? My friend shut up.

You Osus sabotaged yourself.

5 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by CONFAMA: 8:14pm On Jul 30, 2016
ikarm17:

But it's okay to equate Awolowo's wise war tactic on the Yoruba race? My friend shut up.

You Osus sabotaged yourself.

Don't mind them. Most Igbo youths today are psychopantic hypocrites.

They never learn from history...

7 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by rosebowl01(m): 8:36pm On Jul 30, 2016
CSTR12:

In the same vein, the decision by Nnamdi Kanu for biafra agitation has nothing to do with ibos? Biafra war was Ojukwu's decision not ibos.
Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by tibaonnet: 8:41pm On Jul 30, 2016
kettle84:
How there you say Yoloba is holding igbo back. Mr, Nigeria is a British creation. the civil war of the late 60s was a proxy war between Biafra and Britain.
That is what yiboo like you are saying.

1 Like

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by gartamanta: 12:34am On Jul 31, 2016
ManMountain:

Agreed that lugard brought people that have different orientations together, but why did Ironsi thought it wise to merged the different regions civil service with decree 34?
We will keep puncturing all your attempts to absolve your forefathers from this mess.
90% of the foundation of Nigeria present mess lay squarely on ibo military and political elites of the the 60's

Then the question you should ask your self is this. After decree 34, why did all of those who came after Ironsi promulgate and enact worse decree's than decree34? If Ironsi was a bad man for decree 34? What are all those who came after him? Buhari was one of the Northern officers who participated in the counter-coup that killed Ironsi. They said one of the main reasons they did it because of decree 34. The same Buhari is now president after 50 years of that, he is still telling Nigerians that "decree 34" must stay. The same Yorubas who criticise Ironsi that he took away true federalism with decree 34 are the same people who are hailing Buhari who participated in the killing of Ironsi for decree 34 but the same Buhati still stands on decree 34. We all know that Buhari will never agree for true federalism to return, he can't, he is a Northerner. The hypocrisy is just too much.

1 Like

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by bamirotola: 1:01am On Jul 31, 2016
Learning from historians #picksPenAndNotePad #AdjustLens I love this contructive argument...Lalasticala abeg move this page to permanent site

1 Like

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by tosin2013: 3:18am On Jul 31, 2016
gartamanta:

Then the question you should ask your self is this. After decree 34, why did all of those who came after Ironsi promulgate and enact worse decree's than decree34? If Ironsi was a bad man for decree 34? What are all those who came after him? Buhari was one of the Northern officers who participated in the counter-coup that killed Ironsi. They said one of the main reasons they did it because of decree 34. The same Buhari is now president after 50 years of that, he is still telling Nigerians that "decree 34" must stay. The same Yorubas who criticise Ironsi that he took away true federalism with decree 34 are the same people who are hailing Buhari who participated in the killing of Ironsi for decree 34 but the same Buhati still stands on decree 34. We all know that Buhari will never agree for true federalism to return, he can't, he is a Northerner. The hypocrisy is just too much.

Bros, thats exactly what the OP is saying, your forefathers lacked foresight and shot themselves in the foot in the 60s, àll the hausas have been doing was to maintain status quo cos it serves them very well.

When you want apportion blame, remember your grandpapas their greed costed millions of ibo lives!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by kettle84(m): 4:27am On Jul 31, 2016
tosin2013:

Bros, thats exactly what the OP is saying, your forefathers lacked foresight and shot themselves in the foot in the 60s, àll the hausas have been doing was to maintain status quo cos it serves them very well.

When you want apportion blame, remember your grandpapas their greed costed millions of ibo lives!
It was never an Igbo affair as is being
peddled to find relevance. Now take a
look at the list of the '66 coup plotters
and render your own judgement; 1.
Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu
(Delta Igbo) 2. Major Adewale
Ademoyega (Yoruba) author of "Why we
struck" 3. Capt. G. Adeleke(Yoruba) 4.
Maj. Ifeajuna (Igbo) 5. Lt. Fola Oyewole
(Yoruba) author of "The reluctant rebel"
6. Lt. R. Egbiko(Esean) 7. Lt. Tijani
Katsina(Hausa/ Fulani) 8. Lt. O.
Olafemiyan(Yoruba) 9. Capt. Gibson
Jalo(Bali) 10. Capt. Swanton(Middle
Belt) 11. Lt. Hope Harris Eghagha
(Urhobo) 12. Lt. Dag Warribor(Ijaw) 13.
2nd Lt. Saleh Dambo(Hausa) 14. 2nd
Lt. John Atom Kpera (Tiv). So, to an
unbiased observer, what evidence can
one provide to show that Igbos actually
carried out the coup in order to
exterminate other tribes.

2 Likes

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by EzeNri(m): 7:34am On Jul 31, 2016
Nnamdi Azikiwe? Another Owelle? I don't know him.

Tell me about Ojukwu or Kanu and I'll listen attentively.

#Thanks
Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by Prince081: 7:55am On Jul 31, 2016
Nnamdi Azikiwe supported one Nigeria for his selfish interest. He already bragged while studying abroad that he will rule the biggest black nation (Nigeria)
Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by Prince081: 8:05am On Jul 31, 2016
Nnamdi Azikiwe supported one Nigeria for his selfish interest. While studying abroad, he bragged that he will rule the biggest black nation being Nigeria

1 Like

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by gwales: 8:33am On Jul 31, 2016
gartamanta:

stop apportioning blames to other tribe while absolving your own. It only shows how hypocritical you are.

1 Like

Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by KINGinVAHALA: 7:40am On Aug 02, 2016
LordofNairaland:

Agreed, but other decisions made by the nationalists worsened things. Desperation for independence made the Yoruba and Ibo nationalists agree to Northern dominance.

But the AG understood that the new country may not hold on for long. You can't just carve out a nation from many differing tribes. I can't understand why anyone will think the amalgamation will work for long. It was an obvious blooper but only the AG allowed rooms for corrections.

Boss how far na? I guess you are aware that voting for Mr Nairaland started yesterday and continues today?
I didn't see you yesterday
Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by LordOfNaira: 7:54am On Aug 02, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

Boss how far na? I guess you are aware that voting for Mr Nairaland started yesterday and continues today?
I didn't see you yesterday

I am sorry, baba. I am here now. When is it starting?
Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by KINGinVAHALA: 8:00am On Aug 02, 2016
LordofNairaland:

I am sorry, baba. I am here now. When is it starting?

Hmmm, where you go yesterday, you follow woman abi? hahahah
Its gonna be normal bro, starting 10am and ends 6pm. Hope I'm gonna see your vote henceforth bro? you na my real guy na
Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by idensko(m): 8:09am On Aug 02, 2016
kettle84:
It was never an Igbo affair as is being
peddled to find relevance. Now take a
look at the list of the '66 coup plotters
and render your own judgement; 1.
Major Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu
(Delta Igbo) 2. Major Adewale
Ademoyega (Yoruba) author of "Why we
struck" 3. Capt. G. Adeleke(Yoruba) 4.
Maj. Ifeajuna (Igbo) 5. Lt. Fola Oyewole
(Yoruba) author of "The reluctant rebel"
6. Lt. R. Egbiko(Esean) 7. Lt. Tijani
Katsina(Hausa/ Fulani) 8. Lt. O.
Olafemiyan(Yoruba) 9. Capt. Gibson
Jalo(Bali) 10. Capt. Swanton(Middle
Belt) 11. Lt. Hope Harris Eghagha
(Urhobo) 12. Lt. Dag Warribor(Ijaw) 13.
2nd Lt. Saleh Dambo(Hausa) 14. 2nd
Lt. John Atom Kpera (Tiv). So, to an
unbiased observer, what evidence can
one provide to show that Igbos actually
carried out the coup in order to
exterminate other tribes.

U still dey disturb urself on top this AFONJAS stupidity

As long as dey have a fantasy to masturbate on dey will maturbate until dey suffocate themselves

And dey cm here and call it sophistication.

How do u expect them 2 justify d counter coup if dey don't term it IGBO coup..

IGBO AMAKA
Re: How The Ibos Destroyed Their Chance Of Seceding Peacefully From Nigeria by LordOfNaira: 8:09am On Aug 02, 2016
KINGinVAHALA:

Hmmm, where you go yesterday, you follow woman abi? hahahah
Its gonna be normal bro, starting 10am and ends 6pm. Hope I'm gonna see your vote henceforth bro? you na my real guy na
Lol...na dat evegran I been dey look for throughout yesterday.
Henceforth, bro. You will be seeing my votes.

(1) (Reply)

Igbos Need Accommodation Not Biafra – Nwodo / Fear Grows Over Governor Wike's Assasination / Nigerian Constitution: Islam Vs Christianity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.