Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,214 members, 7,807,732 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:14 PM

20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries (47926 Views)

Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad / 11 Mistakes To Avoid When Boarding A Taxicab / 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Totti9(m): 5:21pm On Jul 31, 2016
Don't ask black Americans were is a nigga cuz he gonna beat you up grin
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Nobody: 5:25pm On Jul 31, 2016
half-caste. In all countries where you have mixed race people. You could get punched in the face for using that word.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Emmaino247: 5:27pm On Jul 31, 2016
Pabloosas:
I trust Nigerians, see them ^^^^ grin *Runs out of thread*
RUN far o no just come back
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by MistadeRegal(m): 5:46pm On Jul 31, 2016
Raydos:
Don't Say "SAI" In Nigeria, It Means """Beat Me Up"".

That's Why Many Innocent People Were Beaten Up In A Petrol-Station For Saying ""SAI-baba""

So Avoid This Word!!!!!!

Just as this?

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by KingsJohnson(m): 5:50pm On Jul 31, 2016
While in any part of Nigeria, dnt ever use d word APC or u wil be lynch by people becus it stands for incompetence and dullard.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by God2man(m): 5:53pm On Jul 31, 2016
Noted.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by deparagon(m): 6:13pm On Jul 31, 2016
Calebosko:
udom is a scam,udom out,akpabio come back

[size=18pt] what is this one saying? Wetin concern Udom and Akpabio for this thread?. [/size]
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by druxy(m): 6:44pm On Jul 31, 2016
i farted..i fartedgrin
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Trendin(m): 7:34pm On Jul 31, 2016
Lolz! The piss and toilet part is quite funny.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Donmichaelz(m): 8:09pm On Jul 31, 2016
What does ENGLISH and CONJI have in common?
Them be BAS..TARD

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by ifeomaekol(f): 8:16pm On Jul 31, 2016
Op you have done well, please kindly list out too the words foreigners are to avoid when they come into our beloved nigeria.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by abbeyty(m): 8:31pm On Jul 31, 2016
rubbish, who told you pay day means i farted in Portuguese ? (i peidou ) that is what i farted means in Portuguese
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Pabloosas(m): 8:56pm On Jul 31, 2016
Emmaino247:
RUN far o no just come back
I don't even have that in mind. Thanks for the tip. cheesy cheesy
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Deilluminator(m): 9:23pm On Jul 31, 2016
wonderkid619:
which one should they not say when they come to naija
Sai baba, and Buhari.

Sai baba means beating while Buhari means scam.

2 Likes

Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Blaine756(m): 9:59pm On Jul 31, 2016
O ga o
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Turco: 12:16am On Aug 01, 2016
*lol*

Meaning of the Pronunciation of peach in Turkish is even famous on this forum. Yes, in Turkish Piç means Bastard. Pronunciation is very similar to peach in English. I would definitely recommend you NOT to ask for peach at supermarket if you're not familiar with neighborhood nor able to speak Turkish. You'll become target while you're trying to explain yourself.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by anigold(m): 1:01am On Aug 01, 2016
shoyemiayodeji:
Help in Dothraki means "kill me"......

Dothraki no be game of thrones language.. is there anywhere in earth that dothraki ia spoken?
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by uvalued(m): 8:06am On Aug 01, 2016
wow so where english get this word
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Nobody: 9:20am On Aug 01, 2016
anigold:

Dothraki no be game of thrones language.. is there anywhere in earth that dothraki ia spoken?

You are right bro....it is game of throne's language and not spoken anywhere else.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Richardfred(m): 10:20am On Aug 01, 2016
Don't use the words facebook in London because it means to face your book but in Nigeria is to chat.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by Richardfred(m): 10:23am On Aug 01, 2016
O ga o in Nigeria means its a pity but in Turkish it means AK47 so beware.
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by chillbabe(f): 11:28am On Aug 01, 2016
Lager. It might confuse your Dutch colleagues if you were to ask for a ‘lager’ when having a few drinks with them after work. Lager means ‘storage’ in Dutch. Lager means lower and storage is storage in ducth it's opslagruimte. I dnt know where u found the other meanings of the words
Re: 20 English Words To Avoid When In Other Countries by tck2000(m): 12:29pm On Jul 01, 2019
oh

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Passenger Stuck In Traffic, Missed Indonesia Crashed Flight / The LAGOS STATE They Don't Let You See (video + Photos) / God Is Good Bus Somersaults In Enugu With Passengers Inside (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.