Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,640 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:39 PM

Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud (3086 Views)

The Fraud In Slot Limited / Free Credit Cheat: How To Get N3869.60 Airtime On Airtel / Spectranet Is A Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by diakim(m): 3:30pm On May 27, 2005
It is fraudulent the way Starcomms, a fixed wireless telephone operator in Nigeria has been eating it's subscriber's credits. If I load my Starcomms' landline (LSP 3000) with N1000 credit, that gives me 15 days access to make calls, provided I did not exhaust the credits before the end of the 15 days.

What currently happens now is that if I failed to recharge my phone by the 15th day, all remaining credits on the phone will be wiped out by Starcomms the following day. Then, I will be permitted to receive calls for another 15 days, following which my phone will be blocked from making or receiving calls if I didn't recharge my phone for another 15 days.

Now I think this issue of wiping out subscribers credits is fraudulent and totally unacceptable to me. My call credits belong to me since I had already paid for them, it does not belong to Starcomms. I can decide to use up all my credits within the first 15 days or retain some. It is totally unacceptable for Starcomms to force me or any other subscriber to use up call credits within 15 days or any other days.

I've discussed this issues with some friends who also have Starcomms LSP 3000 for home use like myself, they all gave the same complaints. So it is not an issue peculiar to myself alone. A female colleague had even taken her phone to Starcomms' head office and challenged them to the disappearance of her credits, and demanded that her credits should be refunded. But it all ended up being a waste of her time as she was informed that that is how the phone operates.

To me, I think this is a fraudulent way of charging consumers daily Access Fees which Starcomms claimed to have been cancelled with the introduction of the phone. The only thing I can do about this is to take this matter to the Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC). If GSM operators are not wiping out credits, why should a fixed wireless operator do so?
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by Seun(m): 4:26pm On May 27, 2005
Very interesting. I know a lot of people in my area who use Starcomms lines. However, they all spend much more than 500 naira per week (business lines) so I doubt that they'll be able to tell me much.

Has anyone else on this forum experienced something like this?
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by Hunter(m): 11:33pm On May 27, 2005
It's common practice in the mobile industary to keep a high turn over of customers and to not exhaust all the numbers. I imagine this is no different, usually however you get a longer period of time to spend your credit (I think the shortest carrier here it lasts for 30 days)
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by motla(f): 10:58am On May 31, 2005
starcomms internet stuff is what baffels me i paid for 4 months now they tell me i paid for only 3 moths of which jannuary was a free deal pls save us 4rm starcomms
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by abubakarshayau: 1:23pm On Jun 01, 2005
i also discover the fraudelent habit of starcomms 3 month later after i purchased their phones in maiduguri , i agree ncc should please come in and force them not to make use of customers money.
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by dominobaby(f): 6:50pm On Jun 18, 2005
well well, i am just getting to hear about this credit eating fraud on this forum, i haven't really heard from someone else, and we are thinking of either getting starcomms or intercellular at home. Now, does this problem still persist, because my brother is so bent on Starcomms?
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by Angelgirl(f): 10:28am On Jun 20, 2005
Have you guys also noticed for those of us that use the starcomms line for business (call centre), there is a daily deduction of N33.33k, they always steal this amount at night, i thought there was nothing like access charge anymore.
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by DMAN(m): 8:05am On Jun 28, 2005
Hi wink ,
I am just about to buy a Starcomms line...... but with what u guys are saying undecided They are doing a lot of marketing these days.... and they have coool Nokia handsets, so I thot they will have improve their act.

Please advice which PTO should I go for I live in Ikeja..... I do not mind access low charges.
Thanks.
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by Bumzy(f): 1:04pm On Jul 21, 2005
You can go ahead and buy Starcomms! its very Good, i would know because i use it at home. You guys don't even bother to buy intercellular, you will sleep off trying to reload your phone!

This issue of Deducting balance is still a bit confusing and i will find out, it has never happened to me cos they always credit me while reloading with my available balance added.

Starcomms line is very good, reliable, u can carry the land line about and you don't loose connection while you move around! u can't do that with most PTOs.

If the issue raised is true, then we have an issue with them, but this is not enough reason to discard the phone. And ofcourse if you are using your phone as call centre, you will be charged 'acess chage' it depends on the platform you are on. Visit any of the stacomms freindly centre and they will explain. The problem is that most people assume that when they say 'no acess charge' it applies to all the biling platform you are on, not at all, they are not helping matters cos they don't take time to educate people.
Above all, Starcomms is very reliable.
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by Seun(m): 7:45am On Jan 04, 2006
I guess the key is to make sure that credit never runs out on the phone.
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by Farriel(m): 12:46pm On Jan 04, 2006
@Seun. And how possible is such a prospect, considering how bad things could get for the average Nigerian?
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by mobileuser: 7:29pm On Jan 15, 2006
i just want to respond to 'Diakim' and his comments on the credit eating by Starcomms.  i have been using Starcomms and also 2 other GSM services.  the issue he mentions is actually the Valididy period which is linked to the airtime you load.  if you are a very low user then you will face this problem. and this is common to all operators. the trick is to always keep your validity open by loading airtime regularly. this is how i manage my 3 lines.  I also try to accumulate validity which in the case of Vmobile and starcomms is upto 90 days max.

this is normal practice around the world, and this is how networks protect themselves from free-loaders who just subscribe to the network to only receive calls and spend their time flashing people, without actually spending much money.  These customers are not viable for operators, and hence the validity policies followed by all operators.

i am very happy with starcomms, especially since i get to save a lot of money due to their good tariff plans.  their quality is also quite good and i have not faced any problems till date (1 year usage till now).
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by bogunbanjo(m): 12:13pm On Jan 18, 2006
Kudos to Mobileuser and Bumzy, what most fail to do when even they purchase a phone/subscribe to a service is that they do not find out what they need to know; we just buy the phone and begin to use then complain if we do not get results we anticipated, firstly Starcomms has different platform and each has it’s own peculiarities i.e. a particular access charge entitles you to a particular tariff one of which is the “no access platform” and the access charge is inversely proportional to your tariff but if you run a business centre then you’d probably be on the “Telecentre” platform like me and that mean you’ll enjoy the lowest tariff. Also since they do not do negative billing; this deduction is done only when you have credit.
There is also a validity period with every denomination of recharge done; N1,000 gives 15 days validity followed by a further 15days within which if you recharge then the left over credit will be added onto you new recharge to give a cumulative balance, so do not expect that u can leave money on your phone for eons and expect the phone to still be active the even Hunter in far away Australia says the same applies and I personally believe that Starcomms is the most customer friendly of the PTO lot
Diakim, why don’t you call their customer care line and enquire about how your phone is being billed?
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by dafash1: 10:20am On Jan 25, 2006
well i must say that while i have not had personal experinces with credit fraud, i have a friend who has and she says she wrote letters to the management of starcomms and even visited their office. the story was that's their policy and there is nothing they can do about it!!!!!!!! how do you say that to a cucstomer who has just lost her hard-earned money!!!!! anyway, my beef with starcomms is with their validity period. if i happen to load two N1000 naira cards,which have a validity period of 15 days each, i expect that my validity extends by 15 + 15 days. however it doesnt happen like that. the validty days dont add up!!!!!! what's the jist abouts that?
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by REDBOAR(m): 5:04am On Feb 06, 2006
Starcomms is fraudulent,

No matter how hard you try to cover for their lapses, it's inevitable. I have been using starcomms for about 2years and it's still the same old complaint. Currently i am using their 24hrs internet connection and i can't get satisfaction from it. It works for only 6-8hrs in the whole day and this apparently was after i had sent a complaint about them over to punch newspapers. They came to my house 2 days after to admit their fault but till date i can't still browse conviniently. All to no avail bros and sis.

The worst part was that i paid for 3months internet acess and i didn't enjoy 1month straight. Then they tell me that i can't get a refund on the remaining 2months? That's shit! IT'S FRAUD!. When i spoke with MWEB nigeria, they promised refund anytime i am not satisfied. Tell me then what makes starcomms unique? Ofcourse! what makes them unique is their fraud technique which is painted in gloss and cream. MWEB is far off better than them, offering me a VSAT connection that is faster than theirs for just an additional N1,000 extra to what i pay starcomms which is even dial-up connection. angry
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by snltec(m): 12:57am On Feb 09, 2006
This company has not changed, b/cos I run an office in Port Harcourt and I had them purchase a Starcomms internet phone. An employee of the company came by the office and installed it on one of the PCs (computers) in the office & it worked for 3 days only. We have 6 PCs in the office and my staff have had to carry each of these to the Starcomms office for a reinstallation and the answer is that the systems which are PIII-1000Mhz are too old, so the modem won't install. Today one of the sales staff went there with his laptop for the starcomms technician to install the modem on his laptop he was informed that the laptop was too old too and this is a PIII-850Mhz laptop. I think we need to take to the media so as to protect the rest of Nigeria from these ill mannered fraudsters
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by REDBOAR(m): 12:47pm On Feb 09, 2006
shocked I"M SHOCKED!

When will Starcomms stop all this rubbish. Very.....soon, i say, very.....soon. Currently i have just compiled an article against them and i have sent it over to the 4 editors of Guardian Newspapers. I will go and see them in person so as to make sure that Starcomms doesn't bribe them out of publishing it as i suspect that they did with punch.

Using a P3 1Ghz (1000Mz) system. THAT IS NOT ANYWHERE AT ALL TOO OLD for installation of the modem. I am a system Engineer as well. All you must make sure that you have is a COM (serial) port, and Windows 2000 professional or Windows XP runing on the systems. I installed mine myself after several times of complaints when their engineers couldn't help me to install it. They should admit that they do not know how and stop saying crap!!!!!

As for the Laptop, all he needs is a USB port which i beleive every laptop computer has and he has to buy a USB to Serial converter for just about N3,000 and install in on the Laptop. Then he will install the Phone as you would on a normal system that has a COM (serial) port. Afterall, i'm currently using my Laptop to browse and send you this message. The connection i must admit is DAMNED TOO SLOW AND BREAKS OFF FOR SEVERAL MINUTES!!!!! BBAAAAAAADDDDDD!!!!!!

Now you have paid for internet and they can't get it to work for you?? Is that a strategy for them to reduce conjestion on the network and still get their pay? We'll see about that. I'll take then down completely before they can see their behind (ASS).
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by eliztoy(f): 9:22am On Feb 10, 2006
I am quite shocked to read Redboar's accusations against Starcomms.
Frequent users of this link will agree with me that more kudos goes to Starcomms than any other PTO in Nigeria.
REDBOAR,do you have a personal issue against starcomms OR are you working for one of starcomms competitors?
Always remember this link is meant for us to discuss issues and not for corporate Espionage.
i use starcomms both at home and in my office,i can say Starcomms is the best PTO company we have presently in Nigeria.
Try to talk to them on their Helpline,Maybe it has to do with your configuration or location.
Nice weekend! smiley
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by REDBOAR(m): 5:46pm On Feb 10, 2006
Eliztoy or whatever you call yourself,

What's all this that you say? Why not just SIMPLY ADMIT THAT YOU ARE A STARCOMMS STAFF. I know that no ordinary customer will say this. I have no other grudge with starcomms than what they have done to frustrate me and other users whom you must have read their complaints i beleive.

It's way too obvious that you work in Starcomms office as i gave starcomms officials this link and besided with, this forum is free for all so you must have tucked yourself under our sheets.

The management of starcomms on the other hand have admitted responsibilities and i hope to see it done else i will take other measures to iron it out.
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by eliztoy(f): 7:56am On Feb 13, 2006
Hello,How was your weekend?
MR.REDBOAR,i am not a new user to this site like you.you can confirm from my profile.
STARCOMMS is good,i dont have to work with a company before i defend them when they are wrongly accused.i tell my friends about nairaland Cos it's a wonderful site where you can express yourself on topics,even educate yourself.
i responded to this particular topics because your accusation against starcomms was not only discouraging but shows detestation against the company.
My username is ELIZTOY,seems you didn't get it.
Nice week wink
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by REDBOAR(m): 3:54am On Feb 14, 2006
Eliztoy - I believe that this means Elizabeth's Toy.
Obviously, a toy can't say anything more than what it has been programmed to say.
Have you seen any man who steps on a BOAR's tail and stands there to brag about it? He will surely die!
Do not dip your fingers into Acid my friend, else your fingers will get wrinkled and burnt off completely.
This is my last response to you particularly. When men talk, boys watch and learn from them. If you are not sure of what to say, then shut up! And listen. Ok?
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by eliztoy(f): 7:46am On Feb 14, 2006
REDBOAR,na so e pain u reach?chill out!ok?
The blood of Jesus is greater than the tail of what so ever you called it.
HaPpi VaLeNtInE grin
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by bogunbanjo(m): 2:04pm On Feb 17, 2006
Dear Mr. REDBOAR
I really think you should take it easy before you bust a vein in your skull o! You are being far too vindictive about this. Firstly, Starcomms could not have become and also remain the largest PTO if it treats it’s customer with such disdain as you let on, just pay a visit to any of there Service Centres and you’ll always meet with a large crowd of people queuing to either join up or renew there accounts and this is a far better indicator of their good services than all the malicious hogwash you drum up. However I am not saying you do not have a legitimate right to seek redress if indeed you are not receiving the services you paid for but also have you eliminated all other extraneous factors like your location, signal strength, the presence and status of your anti-virus….?? I have a friend who had a similar problem and when he installed the latest edition of Mcafee and presto! He has been browsing ever since.
You also should give them kudos for sending their crew over to your house! How many other PTOs do that? That shows how responsive they are. It is very saddening how the initial subject matter has been forgotten and taken over by your personal campaign. I am happy to inform Diakim and Dafash1 that Starcomms validity now cumulates for up to 90days
Lastly Redboar, I think you are just all bark and no bite and you are free to assume that I work for Starcomms too ( since you have a 1 track mind) you might also concur that mobileuser, Hunter and Bumzy, all work for Starcomms since we are the only ones offering any sort of rebuttal to your claims
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by REDBOAR(m): 7:51pm On Feb 17, 2006
bogunbanjo;

Nice speech son. Who taught you? Your dad?

Firstly, you don't seem to understand that this is not a personal crash against starcomms. You are mistaken even so much that i guess you can't even see your hands till you put food into your nose.

Do you know why this country will never be better than what it is? IT's BECAUSE OF PEOPLE LIKE YOU! Who credit those who don't deserve to be credited. America gets better everyday but you'll never know how since you have eyes but can't see, ears but can't hear. Don't you know that criticism is what makes things better? I criticized VMobile as well when they first started and now they are the best mobile network in this country.

THINK FOOLS before you speak. When american SUE a company to court, they get results and this makes the company sit up tight!!!! How will you know??

You don't go before the four walls of this country. So your eyes are shot off. And your thinking is behind stone ages.
So cool for me.

Cause i continue to get the results i desire and nobody can ever stop me, EVER!!!

CRITICISM IS FOR BETTER SERVICES. Fools!!!!!!!

How can starcomms after a month of bleeped up service tell me that i can't get a refund on the remaining 2 months? Bullshit!!!

Well, for now thought, i have fought them unto death and they are giving me a full refund and i will swap over to MWEB. MWEB is giving me VSAT 24hrs at N16,000 a month (128kbps upload and 256kbps download) as against starcomms (115.2kbps upload and 115.2kbps download). Free 7 days trial too MWEB too.

FOOLS. YOU CAN't SEE THE TRUTH.
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by bogunbanjo(m): 10:11am On Feb 20, 2006
I have just been vindicated grin! You really are a malicious, slime spitting greaseball tongue! You really should get a life or maybe what you need is a hobby or better yet, get a girlfriend (though I feel sorry for the poor hapless lady already) cry
I also think you have a problem reading, I said YOU HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO SEEK REDRESS IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING THE SERVICE YOU PAID FOR angry, I just have a problem with the way and fanaticism with which you are doing it which is reminiscent of one with a personal vendetta. As you will soon learn (even from MWEB) there are a lot of unsatisfied customers everywhere in service delivery companies rather it is their ability to respond and adapt that sets the good ones apart wink.
I also noticed that you did not give us the full 411 on MWEB: what hardware would you be buying and at what price? And you need to know that Starcomms is offering a DAIL-Up connection so do not set your standards too high, you need to realize that you will be losing the mobility you had with Starcomms as the VSAT is a stationary connection and you will be needing a lot of support as the dish is very susceptible to redirection at the slightest wind not to mention a storm
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by REDBOAR(m): 6:30pm On Feb 20, 2006
Well for all you munchy fellos.

Check this out. There is a lesson for sorry motherfuckers who give up on their goals. YOU WILL NEVER ACHEIVE YOUR DESTINY!

I'm just coming back from the Starcomms head office at V.I and i've gotten the full refund from their Bank.

True that i didn't give you'all the full 411 on the MWEB as you will have to purchase their equipmets worth N360,000 but it's worth the quality of service.

The starcomms service i was using was not mobile either even though they use the Mobile data card. The reception on it is also limited if you don't know.

I prefer MWEB anyway or ACCELON.
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by bogunbanjo(m): 7:58pm On Feb 21, 2006
shocked what was all that about mother what angry? Please, please, please, somebody tell me if nobody's monitoring the logs by members so I can stay off this forum! I thought this was a medium for "intelligent” discussions not swearword-swapping well this will be my last reply to the perennial “Redboar” now that your payment has been refunded I hope we all can breath now and let things settle and return to normal.
You said MWEB costs a whopping N360, 000 and you sit there and go on and on about Starcomms? Men! That’s so unfair you paid Starcomms a paltry N15, 000(or thereabout) for hardware and you are pitting them against a VSAT connection costing N.36million? haba! And point of correction the Starcomms connection is Mobile even if it is the table top phone you are using you can easily carry it about as we all know but I very much doubt if you can move your MWEB connection. Anyway I wish you happy browsing and please let us know (objectively) how MWEB performs
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by REDBOAR(m): 10:29pm On Feb 21, 2006
Sounds unfair but it's not. They shouldn't promise what they can't deliver. Starcomms promises a 115.2kbps but when it was benchmarked, it read only around 10kbps to 20kbps and it drops as low as 0.1kbps which is confirmed by the starcomms engineers who benchmarked it in my presence. So say something new. :-l that's waste of money to me.

I'll launch my MWEB connection soon so chill. Cheap payment brings cheap results.

Explore
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by Seun(m): 6:59pm On Mar 30, 2006
Multilinks Internet 8 kilobytes per second download speed. Consider them.
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by naseer(m): 11:19am On Mar 31, 2006
The topic is quite interesting as it expose the blood sucking PTO's who are vent on exploiting Nigerians. Starcomms have made a giant strides but nevertheless they are engaged in gimmicks and trickish tendencies that are at detriment to consuming public. Intercellular and Multilinks will make a good choice
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by seyiox(m): 12:45pm On Apr 07, 2006
In asmuch as i am not in support of the manner he put it, I'll have to agre with redboar.
I mean if you are a starcomms user, you will understand thier bitterness.
Those who subscribed for starcomms internet know that it is a dialup line as as such paid for it but even for a dial up cnxn. Starcomms is way below standard. That's not even the issue i want to raise.

Its about the credit eatng fraud. I'm surprised that no one has experience their latest MADNESS. After 2 or 3 months without charging, my line will be disconnected and i have to pay =N=2500 (or thereabout) to recover it and even at that, i dont keep my previous line number. Which other PTO does such rubbish.

I mean i travel so when i'm on a trip, should what i'm thinking be "ye i haven't rechargend my phone"? presently i'm disconnected ad i don't think i want to pay that crap. I'm even thinking of writing to those consumer rights people sef.
Re: Starcomms' Credit-Eating Fraud by otokx(m): 5:32pm On Apr 08, 2006
i find the all funny. after my experience with intercellular first and reltel in port harcourt, i did not bother trying either VGC or Starcomms when they stormed the garden city because they are all the same. No apologies but their infrastructures are inadequate and fail when there is a massive request for service. There are so many hidden charges that you will only discover after you have subscribed to their services.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Got The Mtn 3gb #6000. / Tapping Another Person's Call / Free Browsing On Visafone Networks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.