Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,420 members, 7,808,508 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food (74522 Views)

This Thread is Strictly For DOG LOVERS.. No Selling Of Pups, Commercially. / Plz Advice,is This Ok For Dog? / Info About Dogs For Dog Lovers (in Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Mccarthyal(m): 8:14am On Sep 03, 2016
Hi.

Was it prepared exactly as I explained? Did you get the consistency I described? Also, you left out soya beans in your preparation. May I ask why?

Is this this first time you're introducing it to your pup? If yes, you will have to do so gradually as I stated in the initial post above. Your dog won't accept it as it is relatively new to it.

Try mixing it with something it really likes and would readily consume. What it likes should be more, with a little of the formula. Begin to increase the formula while reducing what it likes gradually until it's just the formula left. That's how to introduce your dog to new foods.

The phasing out should be done slowly but gradually. Do not rush it.
11k is a lot of money right now, especially if you're dealing with more than one dog.

This is the first time I'm hearing of a dog rejecting this meal. If you prepare it well and allow to cook, and phase out your dog's food slowly, I'm sure you will see a difference.

Good luck!

countsparrow:

my 7 weeks pup has refused this combo... i bought 1 bowl of yellow corn, smoked catfish crumb, and kuli kuli, grounded everything to powdered form.... initially, it will eat a little, but as of yesterday, it rejected it totally... It is too young to go on hunger strike, so i was pushed to shell out 11k on booster dry food. .. But negodu goldie, dont worry, i will keep it for you.

I envy those of you your dogs enjoy it o...

1 Like

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by welzyj2(m): 8:29am On Sep 03, 2016
countsparrow:

my 7 weeks pup has refused this combo... i bought 1 bowl of yellow corn, smoked catfish crumb, and kuli kuli, grounded everything to powdered form.... initially, it will eat a little, but as of yesterday, it rejected it totally... It is too young to go on hunger strike, so i was pushed to shell out 11k on booster dry food. .. But negodu goldie, dont worry, i will keep it for you.

I envy those of you your dogs enjoy it o...

You have to intro it in very small quantity. I started it as a treat den u can mix with its normal food. B4 u know it has no prob to lick its bowl patapata.
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by countsparrow: 9:03am On Sep 03, 2016
Mccarthyal:
Hi.

Was it prepared exactly as I explained? Did you get the consistency I described? Also, you left out soya beans in your preparation. May I ask why?

Is this this first time you're introducing it to your pup? If yes, you will have to do so gradually as I stated in the initial post above. Your dog won't accept it as it is relatively new to it.

Try mixing it with something it really likes and would readily consume. What it likes should be more, with a little of the formula. Begin to increase the formula while reducing what it likes gradually until it's just the formula left. That's how to introduce your dog to new foods.

The phasing out should be done slowly but gradually. Do not rush it.
11k is a lot of money right now, especially if you're dealing with more than one dog.

This is the first time I'm hearing of a dog rejecting this meal. If you prepare it well and allow to cook, and phase out your dog's food slowly, I'm sure you will see a difference.

Good luck!

i thought milk was a good substitute for Soya since i cant easily roast the outer part like u said is okay for dog consumption. The dog eats so little, i feel at 7weeks, it should eat so much as to have a rounded funny belly... will try to introduce it little by little again...

Nice and well fed gsd u have there...

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by countsparrow: 9:04am On Sep 03, 2016
welzyj2:

You have to intro it in very small quantity. I started it as a treat den u can mix with its normal food. B4 u know it has no prob to lick its bowl patapata.

i will try it as a treat too, let me see how it works out...

1 Like

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Mccarthyal(m): 10:30am On Sep 03, 2016
The Soya Beans is a major constituent of the formula. I don't know how it will come out when it is removed from it. Was it watery? This may be why your dog didn't like it.

While milk is a good source of protein, it is not a legume, and it won't give the consistency required that soya beans will. Plus, soya beans adds to the aroma of the formula

You can actually roast the soya beans yourself. Just get a pan, pour sand into it and place on fire. When the sand is hot enough, pour some soya beans into it. Begin to turn until the soya beans changes colour from light brown to dark brown. Remove it from the sand using a perforated serving spoon and sieve the sand out. It's as easy as that. You can roast your groundnuts the same way.

I don't want you to give up on this. It is a very nutritious meal and will save you loads of money. It's my dog's staple food at the moment. Thanks for the compliment.

Please let me know how it goes. Good luck.

[quote author=countsparrow post=49031520][/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Mccarthyal(m): 9:46am On Sep 04, 2016
Here's an infographic for those interested...

Step 1: Pour some quantity of the formula into a pot.

Step 2: Add some water to it, mix thoroughly and place on fire.

Step 3: Begin to stir. When it's a bit thick, add some more water and continue stirring. Allow to cook. The mixture should have doubled the original quantity when cooked.

Step 4: Serve cool.

I hope this helps. Cc @countsparrow @mrflow1 @Namdeenero

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by countsparrow: 7:00pm On Sep 04, 2016
Mccarthyal:
Here's an infographic for those interested...

Step 1: Pour some quantity of the formula into a pot.

Step 2: Add some water to it, mix thoroughly and place on fire.

Step 3: Begin to stir. When it's a bit thick, add some more water and continue stirring. Allow to cook. The mixture should have doubled the original quantity when cooked.

Step 4: Serve cool.

I hope this helps. Cc @countsparrow @mrflow1 @Namdeenero

thank you for the picture demonstration, seems i dont cook mine well enough, then secondly, i will need to include soya beans into the mixture... i so much like the way yours turned out... will try it out again 2mrw, i hope i get it right this time *fingers crossed
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by tvcatch15(m): 7:24pm On Sep 04, 2016
Mccarthyal:
INGREDIENTS

▪️2 Parts Corn
▪️1 Part Soya Beans
▪️1 Part Groundnuts
▪️Fish (could be crayfish, fish waste, etc and as much as you can afford. You can do 1 part fish of your choice, don't just go overboard as too much protein isn't good).

Roast the soya beans and groundnuts to remove the shaft. Then grind all together until very smooth.
NB; grind the corn first before adding the other ingredients, as corn is the hardest of them.

PROCEDURE FOR COOKING
Into a pot of water on fire, pour some of the formula and stir (e.g 2 tin cups of milk into 1&1/2 glass cup of water). Keep stiring until you get a consistency like pap (Ogi). It takes a little while to get this consistency, so be patient. If it's too thick, you can add some water. For the wee pups, it's shouldn't be thick. For older dogs, you can serve thick. Add a little salt or seasoning when it's ready. You can also add palm oil if you so desire. Serve cool.

NB; Your dogs won't readily eat it, as its new to them so start small when cooking.

Here's a tip from a fellow nairalander @LordRegalia, if you're having trouble getting your dogs to eat something new, mix it with something they really like. In my case I mixed it with pedigree (rice & chicken). The trick is to have more quantity of what your dog likes with little of what you're introducing. Begin to reduce what it likes while adding more of the staple food - in this case the formula, until it's just the staple food they're consuming.

If there's any part you're unclear about, let me know.

Cheers!

What do u mean by part?
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Mccarthyal(m): 8:03pm On Sep 04, 2016
Whatever unit of measurement at your disposal. For example, if you're using the regular "mudu" market sellers use, it will be something like this:

1 mudu of corn
1/2 mudu of soya beans
1/2 mudu of groundnuts &
Fish meal

If you're doing 2 mudu's of corn, the others should be 1 mudu of each.
I hope it's clear now?

tvcatch15:

What do u mean by part?

3 Likes

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Mccarthyal(m): 8:04pm On Sep 04, 2016
Alright then. I hope it comes out well this time.

Good luck!

countsparrow:

thank you for the picture demonstration, seems i dont cook mine well enough, then secondly, i will need to include soya beans into the mixture... i so much like the way yours turned out... will try it out again 2mrw, i hope i get it right this time *fingers crossed
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by mankan2k7(m): 8:45pm On Sep 04, 2016
I love this thread, hope to try it someday
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by countsparrow: 6:23am On Sep 09, 2016
Mccarthyal:
Alright then. I hope it comes out well this time.

Good luck!

been wanting to give you an update but i have been a little busy... the dog has taken a liking to the food now, i have fed it twice, the first i used boiled meat water to prepare, although it only took a little when the food was served, but by morning i discovered the plate was clean, and yesterday too i prepared with normal water, although he finished the first one faster, he did do a good job on that too. thank you for taking time to explain better and graphically.

3 Likes

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Mccarthyal(m): 9:35am On Sep 09, 2016
That's great! You're welcome.

Cheers.

countsparrow:

been wanting to give you an update but i have been a little busy... the dog has taken a liking to the food now, i have fed it twice, the first i used boiled meat water to prepare, although it only took a little when the food was served, but by morning i discovered the plate was clean, and yesterday too i prepared with normal water, although he finished the first one faster, he did do a good job on that too. thank you for taking time to explain better and graphically.

1 Like

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by LeSammy: 11:10pm On Sep 14, 2016
Any news on the dogs size after the meal?

Are the results the same or even better than diamond or royal canine?
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by emeka2847: 6:44pm On Oct 03, 2016
The remaining three.

I am very much satisfied. Nice result so far. The mother was on Diamond, as a kid and I do not think there's much difference between her size then and their size now. They're at 11 weeks now.

Though, there's none taking diamond so far to compare. But one of them is somewhere with different home on mostly can food now. In some weeks from now, I'll compare. I'll be back.

I remaining grateful to the two pals above who responded to my request and shared this fine recipe. The "big boys" only know how to advertise puppies here. God dey!

LeSammy:
Any news on the dogs size after the meal?

Are the results the same or even better than diamond or royal canine?

1 Like

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by fabulouskay(m): 7:14pm On Oct 03, 2016
Uwc bro. So happy to see that it worked for you...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Falcone52x: 9:32pm On Oct 03, 2016
I am sure you guys will do well as writers if you apply smiley

Here is an opportunity: http://www.breed9ja.com/write-for-us/

Goodluck!

fabulouskay:
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by emeka2847: 11:04pm On Oct 03, 2016
Sorry, Bros. I just realised that I made a mistake. They're 11 weeks (plus 2 days), not 16 weeks. I have corrected it above. I was probably thinking about their date of birth when I wrote, 16/7/2016.

Thanks.

fabulouskay:
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by tvcatch15(m): 3:24pm On Oct 05, 2016
emeka2847:
I used to give Diamond, but it's now too expensive. I changed to Binggo to save cost, but I'm still doubting its quality in terms of value for money. Worse still, my GSD just littered nine, and I'm worried about cost of feeding as they start growing.

Please can anyone share with me local recipe and step by step instruction on how to make NUTRITIOUS but CHEAP food to help my puppies grow well?

Thank you in advance.

Pls I wld like to know if one has to grind the crayfish with other ingredients.
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by welzyj2(m): 3:26pm On Oct 05, 2016
tvcatch15:

yerp
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by emeka2847: 7:11am On Oct 06, 2016
I think the most important thing is for it to enter the food. For me, I use dry fish, and I usually grind it separately in my blender and mix it. I don't grind the fish too fine so that they can see and know it's there. It discovered they are happy if they know it's in the food.

tvcatch15:

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Punstar: 3:43am On Nov 01, 2016
Mccarthyal:
Hi.
Place in an air-tight container and you're good. I don't know how long it takes before it gets bad, but it has an extremely long shelf-life.

fabulouskay:

Pls guys, Can I give this recipe to a 3weeks old puppy ?. If not, Pls suggest any recipes or feed I can give. I appreciate you inputs both of you. I'm a new dog owner and I need your response pls
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by fabulouskay(m): 12:05pm On Nov 01, 2016
Punstar:

Pls guys, Can I give this recipe to a 3weeks old puppy ?. If not, Pls suggest any recipes or feed I can give. I appreciate you inputs both of you. I'm a new dog owner and I need your response pls

No! Wait till mid of the 4th week before u start giving them and it must be watery. If I may ask, why do u want to wean them now?

For now, the dam's milk alone should be enough as long as she's eating well, not sick and the litter size is normal. Otherwise, use NAN milk and feeder to feed each pup personally.

3 Likes

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by GospelOkonye(m): 1:38pm On Nov 01, 2016
i read this a while ago and screen shot it as it would come in handy some day, i have a Cane corso and German Shepherd, and i have been feeding them Pedigree kibbles since birth, currently 7months and eight months respectively; although expensive but the outlook of the dogs was amazing; but currently the bag of Pedigree 15kg costs #19,500 and those dogs finish them in a month. Last week i decided to try this meal here and i went to the market and got them all prepared, the first day i served it, these dogs did not eat it. So i kept the food and mixed it with canned meat; and the dogs ate it like sugar, they licked the entire plate clean. The next day, i served it too and they finished it, i serve them twice daily currently; in the morning by 7:am and by 4pm. and they always licked it clean, i mix with rice, soup, stew, more fish, meat broth, yam, pawpaw, crackers, and alot of other things. But this cooking of Local feed, its the best; they have gained good weight, their feaces is very good, solid feaces and does not smell much and they lick ever thing up. I want to add Fish feed to the cooking, the dogs cannot be over "nutrified". Thanks once again chiefs

6 Likes

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by fabulouskay(m): 4:27pm On Nov 01, 2016
GospelOkonye:
i read this a while ago and screen shot it as it would come in handy some day, i have a Cane corso and German Shepherd, and i have been feeding them Pedigree kibbles since birth, currently 7months and eight months respectively; although expensive but the outlook of the dogs was amazing; but currently the bag of Pedigree 15kg costs #19,500 and those dogs finish them in a month. Last week i decided to try this meal here and i went to the market and got them all prepared, the first day i served it, these dogs did not eat it. So i kept the food and mixed it with canned meat; and the dogs ate it like sugar, they licked the entire plate clean. The next day, i served it too and they finished it, i serve them twice daily currently; in the morning by 7:am and by 4pm. and they always licked it clean, i mix with rice, soup, stew, more fish, meat broth, yam, pawpaw, crackers, and alot of other things. But this cooking of Local feed, its the best; they have gained good weight, their feaces is very good, solid feaces and does not smell much and they lick ever thing up. I want to add Fish feed to the cooking, the dogs cannot be over "nutrified". Thanks once again chiefs

UWC sir....our pleasure

1 Like

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Punstar: 4:38pm On Nov 01, 2016
fabulouskay:

No! Wait till mid of the 4th week before u start giving them and it must be watery. If I may ask, why do u want to wean them now?

For now, the dam's milk alone should be enough as long as she's eating well, not sick and the litter size is normal. Otherwise, use NAN milk and feeder to feed each pup personally.
Alright, Weldone thnks
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Mccarthyal(m): 6:06pm On Nov 01, 2016
Punstar:

It might be too early at 3 weeks as they should still be taking milk from their mother. If their mother isn't available or isn't producing enough milk, you can introduce commercially produced milk to the puppy.

However, you can introduce the formula to your pup at 4/5 weeks.

Cheers!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by Wristler: 5:42pm On Nov 26, 2016
Mccarthyal:

It might be too early at 3 weeks as they should still be taking milk from their mother. If their mother isn't available or isn't producing enough milk, you can introduce commercially produced milk to the puppy.

However, you can introduce the formula to your pup at 4/5 weeks.

Cheers!

Cc fabulouskay

You've been helpful on this thread all along.. .i appreciate. But I tried the feed out and it was a hard time shelling the soybeans. The skin wasn't coming off easily and I burnt half the groundnuts and the soybeans. Pls can you help with details on preparing the soybeans or is there any other substitute for the soybeans?

I'll appreciate your responses.
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by fabulouskay(m): 9:56pm On Nov 27, 2016
Wristler:

Cc fabulouskay

You've been helpful on this thread all along.. .i appreciate. But I tried the feed out and it was a hard time shelling the soybeans. The skin wasn't coming off easily and I burnt half the groundnuts and the soybeans. Pls can you help with details on preparing the soybeans or is there any other substitute for the soybeans?

I'll appreciate your responses.

To shell the S-Beans, you have to soak it for least 2-3hours before. And u don't even need to roast it in this dry season; just sun-dry it for abt 2 to 3 days. For the groundnut, I always oven dry it for a few hours at mid temperature.
As for the substitute, you can buy FULL SOYA FAT(not soya meal) for the beans and Groundnut cake from feedmeals. It should be noted that these substitutes aren't as nutritious as the real ones.
Lastly, some petshops sell the ready made grinded wheat, beans and nut... you could do some search as it is cost-effective compared to the stress. Where are u located?
Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by countsparrow: 7:18am On Nov 29, 2016
GospelOkonye:

Please where can i buy the fish feed?
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by beewhy009(m): 10:47am On Dec 03, 2016
I just got a 4 weeks old GSD pup, i would like to know what to give it besides d pup feed and take note so it would have a proper growth. Its my first time having a puppy so young. Since his arrival, i have bn giving it golden morn, milk, eggs and pap so far to supplement its meals...
Re: Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food by fabulouskay(m): 11:00am On Dec 03, 2016
beewhy009:
I just got a 4 weeks old GSD pup, i would like to know what to give it besides d pup feed and take note so it would have a proper growth. Its my first time having a puppy so young. Since his arrival, i have bn giving it golden morn, milk, eggs and pap so far to supplement its meals...

To be sincere with u sir, nothing is as good as all these imported dry feeds(or even our own Binngo); it has EVERYTHING u need. We are only improvising cos of the cost. Since it's a GSD, a 10kg puppy feed would be Ok for a month. Just be adding milk and egg
Golden morn and pap are simply a waste of money.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dog Breeders List Your Dog Kennel Or Current Puppy Litter Here / Mark Zuckerberg's Goats 'Max' And 'Bitcoin' (Photo) / Man Breeds Albino Ball Python That Smiles Right Back At You (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.