Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,518 members, 7,808,889 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

African Time Syndrome: A National Disease - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / African Time Syndrome: A National Disease (1411 Views)

Who Knows Where I Can Get A National ID Card / African Time & The Entrepreneur / Nairalander On The Cover Of A National Newspaper (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

African Time Syndrome: A National Disease by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 01, 2016
African time syndrome is a perceived cultural tendency, in some parts of Africa and the Caribbean towards a more relaxed attitude to time. This is sometimes used in a pejorative sense, about tardiness in appointments, meetings and events. This also includes the more leisurely, relaxed, and less rigorously-scheduled lifestyle found in African countries, especially as opposed to the more clock-bound pace of daily life in the western world. As such, it is similar to time orientations in some other non-Western culture regions.
This has been adopted as cultural belief and some has made it a lifestyle. It all started from ceremonies punctuality and later transpired to every sector of our lifes, ranging from work to our worship place. It is now almost generally acceptable.
It’s very rampant in Nigeria. I was once passing by a business enterprise, and I saw an inscription on their notice board which reads ” All workers must resume to work before 8 am, No worker will be forgiven, after exceeding the stipulated African Time. N.B African Time extension is 9am” I was shocked, because this enterprise happens to be one of the best in my locality.
The westerners always mock our attitude towards time to the extent they called it black people’s time .
This non-challant attitude of ours has affected us alot.
It will be so funny that in the Nigerian Professional Football League, a match was fixed for 4pm, and without any hindrance, the match started 4.30 pm. That was not funny enough, but the match started without the commentator apologizing for their misdeed. In the western world it’s not like that.
I once saw a lady late for her church service, I was so concerned that I inquired from her what she was still doing in her room since the service starts by 5pm and it’s 5:20 pm already. Her reply was invigorating, she said “Our pastor will not start the service until around 5:30pm, don’t you know Afrcan time?” she opined, I was shocked. This careless attitude of ours has destroyed many lifes and have rendered many hopeless.
A lady was once invited for an interview after five years on the job street. She was very happy, then the D-day came. The instruction in her invitation letter was that every interviewee should arrive at the venue by 10am. She got dressed up by 9am and said “I can’t go to that office and be looking around, I will wait till 9:30pm before starting my journey since am going on cab” Really, she did as she said. But unfortunately, she ran into a traffic congestion which lasted 40mins and she lost the job. The last time I checked she was still a job hunter.
The most devastating part of it, is that event organiser also succumb to it by saying Lets add African Time to our alloted time Bad!!!
I almost lost my admission chance due to African Time
Time na money , this is one singular fact we must all know.
If there’s is an event by 9am go there 30mins before time, 5mins after time, if the program has not started, leave there. Be principled.
Every body is guilty of this sin, even our president. The last presidential media chat started 5 mins after time. We can improve.
African time is killing Africa lets fight it
When I wrote UTME, I slept for 2hrs after the time stipulated for the exam before the exam commence. It’s detrimental to our economic growth. People see individuals who don’t follow time as unserious.
Watch your self today, No more
African Time, Let it be Specified time

https://scholarzine./2016/07/31/african-time-a-national-sin/

lalasticlala
seun , obinoscopy

1 Like

Re: African Time Syndrome: A National Disease by babalonshee(m): 6:18am On Aug 01, 2016
NORMS
Re: African Time Syndrome: A National Disease by youngest85(m): 6:24am On Aug 01, 2016
we'r all guilty.....

In peak milk's voice; it's in you(us)

(1) (Reply)

Rotary Youth Leadership Awards RYLA 2016 / How To Book Dana Air Flight Online - Fly Dana / Nairalanders Schooling And Living In Hannover Germany

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.