Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,131 members, 7,807,425 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:20 PM

Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) (1023 Views)

The Islamic Perspectives On FAMILY PLANNING / Songs Of The Worlds By Johnydon22 / The Untold Story of Job By Johnydon22 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by donnffd(m): 4:44pm On Aug 01, 2016
I cant say for certain if Abortion is moral or not, it would all depend on the situation but i am certain I stand for women being given the right over their own bodies.

When the issue of abortion arises, it becomes very sensitive and people lean towards different views, but i believe that an abortion could not only be carried out but must be carried out when it is absolutely necessary. Some women can have complications in child-bearing costing them their lives, some girls still in school are victims of rape and having that child would be a dream-destroyer.

Now you might say, every embryo has a potential of becoming a human-being, i agree, it has the potential but it is not yet a human(i.e embryo that are not yet fully developed). It doesnt know anything, it cannot feel pain or joy, but the mother can, so i feel the mother's safety and well-being should be put first and if that means terminating a not-yet formed human, then so be it.

cc Johnydon22

NB: I dont condone reckless abortion, only necessary ones.
Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by johnydon22(m): 10:09pm On Aug 01, 2016
donnffd:
I cant say for certain if Abortion is moral or not, it would all depend on the situation but i am certain I stand for women being given the right over their own bodies.

Thank you for opening up this open debate between you and i on the subject of Abortion. I am a humanist to start with and i'd say nothing i say is a universal truth but an opinion based on my moral philosophies as a humanist.

We all do have fundamental rights over our own bodies but when a right entails ridding of someone else's right, that selfish exercision of our own rights becomes detrimental to others.

I do believe we also have the rights to live no matter the age of such human and in this regard knowing fully well that a feotus is already a complex system of cells therefore a living being just like us, i do not support ridding them of that right to live just to satisfy an unruly exercision of right by some folks.

When the issue of abortion arises, it becomes very sensitive and people lean towards different views, but i believe that an abortion could not only be carried out but must be carried out when it is absolutely necessary. Some women can have complications in child-bearing costing them their lives

This is the one time i support abortion - when the life of the feotus is directly detrimental to the survival of the mother.

, some girls still in school are victims of rape and having that child would be a dream-destroyer.

I know this can be a difficult position to be in but i do think that we humans tend to develop an unbound love for offspring no matter how it comes about, Children are like money, always welcome even if it comes in a dirty sack.

Even though i do agree this example is delicate and there is compelling drive to get rid of the feotus, i also implore patience and perserverence, something beautiful may yet come out of the ugly situation after all.

A child is beautiful and deserves love..

Now you might say, every embryo has a potential of becoming a human-being, i agree, it has the potential but it is not yet a human(i.e embryo that are not yet fully developed).
This doesn't negate the fact that it is a living being and in fact i'd argue is human.

It doesnt know anything, it cannot feel pain or joy, but the mother can, so i feel the mother's safety and well-being should be put first and if that means terminating a not-yet formed human, then so be it.

Yes the mother's well being should be put first but only when this well being is threatened, only when her safety is threatened.

Denying a feotus right to live in order to satisfy an uncharted recklessnes from a girl or woman or a couple is something i cannot support.

cc Johnydon22
NB: I dont condone reckless abortion, only necessary ones.

There are instances when abortion is medically recommended to save the mother's life.

even the Igbos has an adage that says let the water pour away and not the pot, as long as we still have the pot we can fetch another water.

So only when the mother's is at stake, let the baby go - anything other than that is consonant with my own opinion and views

1 Like

Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by TomHagen: 10:55pm On Aug 01, 2016
Na almost the same thing una dey talk na. Why una come open thread?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by donnffd(m): 4:45am On Aug 02, 2016
johnydon22:

I know this can be a difficult position to be in but i do think that we humans tend to develop an unbound love for offspring no matter how it comes about, Children are like money, always welcome even if it comes in a dirty sack.

Even though i do agree this example is delicate and there is compelling drive to get rid of the feotus, i also implore patience and perserverence, something beautiful may yet come out of the ugly situation after all.

A child is beautiful and deserves love..

Yes, we do agree on alot of things, i was originally of the opinion that you dont approve abortion no matter the situation. So let us narrow it down to the rape victim scenerio.

This is difficult and the choice ultimately falls back to the victim, but i would stand beside and support a victim who chooses to abort, why?

Well, let start with what you said about a foetus being a human, i disagree, i dont claim to be an expert on it but i do know that at some stage, a human foetus is no different from a fish foetus, at a stage it still has gills, tails and many features from our evolutionary past. Can it really be called a human?, i doubt it. Now you might ask, so at what point does it become a human?, i dont know and i am sure there is no universal answer,but if i was to bet, i would go for the time the brain has formed well enough to register pain.

Which brings me to my second point, personhood. Who is a person?, i dont think people are given right to live just because they are humans(hitler was a human, serial killers are humans), i think they are given right to live because they are persons(again, my opinion).
Whats the difference?, Well, a one month old baby is as much a human as a 32 year old, but not as much a person. The 32 year old has a complex array of emotions, knowledge, relationships, goals and beliefs that surpasses that of a one month old and would gladly give his or her life to save that baby from harm, thats personhood.

If we go further back into the development of a foetus, we realize that its not much of a person as the victim who was raped and as goals, and plans for the future. Like i said earlier, the sole choice would rest on the hypothetical victim, but if she decides not to keep it, she would be justified because first and formost, she is far more of a person than a 2week foetus and her future should be considered first.

Lastly, many fertilized eggs fails to get implanted on the womb wall!, Many women naturally abort more times than they know it, but noone notices, so why should a victim of rape not be allowed to choose how she wants her future to be shaped just because she has a foetus growing in her?!.
Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by nwamehn: 5:33am On Aug 02, 2016
donnffd:

Yes, we do agree on alot of things, i was originally of the opinion that you dont approve abortion no matter the situation. So let us narrow it down to the rape victim scenerio.

This is difficult and the choice ultimately falls back to the victim, but i would stand beside and support a victim who chooses to abort, why?

Well, let start with what you said about a foetus being a human, i disagree, i dont claim to be an expert on it but i do know that at some stage, a human foetus is no different from a fish foetus, at a stage it still has gills, tails and many features from our evolutionary past. Can it really be called a human?, i doubt it. Now you might ask, so at what point does it become a human?, i dont know and i am sure there is no universal answer,but if i was to bet, i would go for the time the brain has formed well enough to register pain.

Which brings me to my second point, personhood. Who is a person?, i dont think people are given right to live just because they are humans(hitler was a human, serial killers are humans), i think they are given right to live because they are persons(again, my opinion).
Whats the difference?, Well, a one month old baby is as much a human as a 32 year old, but not as much a person. The 32 year old has a complex array of emotions, knowledge, relationships, goals and beliefs that surpasses that of a one month old and would gladly give his or her life to save that baby from harm, thats personhood.

If we go further back into the development of a foetus, we realize that its not much of a person as the victim who was raped and as goals, and plans for the future. Like i said earlier, the sole choice would rest on the hypothetical victim, but if she decides not to keep it, she would be justified because first and formost, she is far more of a person than a 2week foetus and her future should be considered first.

Lastly, many fertilized eggs fails to get implanted on the womb wall!, Many women naturally abort more times than they know it, but noone notices, so why should a victim of rape not be allowed to choose how she wants her future to be shaped just because she has a foetus growing in her?!.

@ op, I think Johnydon22 meant that the foetus is a living being but not necessarily a human. If u happen to watch a video or documentary of what happens in the womb of a woman during abortion, then u will realise that the foetus itself has life and the abortion process involves brutally taking life off the living being. I know it's very hard to encourage the rape victim to keep the baby but I see it as a better alternative than taking a life, unless the victim's life is also at risk.
Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by donnffd(m): 8:32am On Aug 02, 2016
nwamehn:

@ op, I think Johnydon22 meant that the foetus is a living being but not necessarily a human. If u happen to watch a video or documentary of what happens in the womb of a woman during abortion, then u will realise that the foetus itself has life and the abortion process involves brutally taking life off the living being. I know it's very hard to encourage the rape victim to keep the baby but I see it as a better alternative than taking a life, unless the victim's life is also at risk.

I do acknowledge that its a living being, i only said it wasnt yet a human until it has developed pain receptors. Before that time, terminating it cant be regarded as "brutal" because it wont feel anything whatsoever.

Although when it is fully developed, then we can all agree that its just plain murder but my argument is based on the fact that the foetus is not yet fully-developed to register pain.
Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by hahn(m): 9:48am On Aug 02, 2016
I see the moniker johnnydon22 and all I can think of is epistles undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by shadeyinka(m): 4:28pm On Aug 02, 2016
There is a universal rule we must apply here..and that is the right to life.

So, who is alive?

Is being alive synonymous to being able to do what adults do? Even though a day old child cannot speak, run, fight...etc. He is regarded as a human being with rights.

A friend of mine was booked to do a caesarian op for her pregnancy because of some complications well before her EDD. When can we say that the foetus taken out is a human being? Must a baby be born before it is regarded as human?

When does a foetus develop pain receptors? If a foetus doesn't have a developed mouth to scream and muscles to squirm would that be enough evidence to conclude that it is not living?

When a man is in coma but he can still breath, don't we still consider him as living and human? Spontaneous abortions do take place just as spontaneous death in grown ups?

So, when really does a foetus transit from a collection of cells to human?

Why is murder evil and immoral? Because it Denys forcefully the potential of an individual. To this end, ABORTION is murder.

Abortion may be permitted if the life of the mother is at stake...other than that, the potential of that human being we call foetus is at stake.
Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by johnydon22(m): 9:50am On Aug 03, 2016
donnffd:

Nope i approve abortion when it is medically recommended to save the mother's life.

I wouldn't even though i recognize it is a tough choice for her to make.

Even as a fully functional human you still have tails only seating on it, My argument is based on the feotus being a functional system of cells, an off spring of humans and at that i reserve a right for them to live.

I do agree this to be a delicate matter and it's understandable if the mother chooses to abort the feotus at this juncture being a result of a forceful act, but i also do believe that every baby deserves as much chance to live like every other.

She still has a future even the baby you may say different from the original plan but we all know the eventuality of achieving a desired goal is still under the confines of chance.

This is my philosophy, this is my belief - thus future is uncertain, that you'd live tomorrow is still even under heavy chance, so i believe in living in the moment which is directly why i ask for patience and perserverence on the part of such 'ill fated unready mothers".

something beautiful may yet come from it, that baby may still be the beacon that lights her future.

Lastly, many fertilized eggs fails to get implanted on the womb wall!, Many women naturally abort more times than they know it, but noone notices
Nature kills us everyday, why then do we complain when a human kills another - because this time a mind is involved, a decision was taken.

So you would not react same way when a land slide occurs and a boulder smashes someone to death AND when a boulder was pushed deliberately by someone else to smash another to death.

so why should a victim of rape not be allowed to choose how she wants her future to be shaped just because she has a foetus growing in her?!.

I do believe she has every right to and by all means do - my sentiments are from the direct tilt of my emotional moral principles.

Helping others to survive as long as it does not directly endanger your own life
Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by winner01(m): 11:35am On Aug 03, 2016
shadeyinka:

So, who is alive?

Is being alive synonymous to being able to do what adults do? Even though a day old child cannot speak, run, fight...etc. He is regarded as a human being with rights.

A friend of mine was booked to do a caesarian op for her pregnancy because of some complications well before her EDD. When can we say that the foetus taken out is a human being? Must a baby be born before it is regarded as human?

When does a foetus develop pain receptors? If a foetus doesn't have a developed mouth to scream and muscles to squirm would that be enough evidence to conclude that it is not living?

When a man is in coma but he can still breath, don't we still consider him as living and human? Spontaneous abortions do take place just as spontaneous death in grown ups?

Why is murder evil and immoral? Because it Denys forcefully the potential of an individual. To this end, ABORTION is murder.

Abortion may be permitted if the life of the mother is at stake...other than that, the potential of that human being we call foetus is at stake.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by joywendy(f): 12:22pm On Aug 03, 2016
interesting Topic!! *grabs chair and popcorn*
Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by donnffd(m): 1:29pm On Aug 03, 2016
shadeyinka:

Trust me, I do believe in the concept of "right to life", and please dont get my arguments wrong, i find it morally wrong to carry out an abortion because of carelessness, i am arguing based on specific delicate situations that cant be regarded as white and black.

I also dont believe in a "Universal rule" for the same reason i dont think every situation is the same. I believe different situations should be handled according to the specifics and the events surrounding them.

So, who is alive?

Great question, i could ask you the same, because i am sure you know that sperms cells and egg cells are also alive or regarded to be alive. Virtually all sperm cells and egg cells are wasted(many times purposefully). Two-thirds of all human conceptions are naturally aborted by nature.

I did acknowledge that there is no universal agreement on when being human starts, its obvious a new born baby is a human being and i dont claim otherwise.

I hope you read my piece on Personhood because i did state clearly that it is hard to pin-point when a foetus becomes a human, so its hard to base an argument on that alone. A person is to be the next driving factor, obviously the man in a coma is far more of a person than a foetus i hope you would agree!.

If you killed a dolphin or a chimpanzee just for fun, would the state and the general public really view that as murder?

Now, dont get me wrong, i dont mean to demean the importance of a human foetus, i am just trying to prove my point in using Personhood as a criteria and not just a life. Like i said earlier and would say again, i dont condone all abortions, i believe its morally wrong for anyone to have an abortion because of carelessness,so please,to everyone, practice safe sex.

My arguments are on situations in which one did not fully control like a rape victim who is still probably in school or something of that sort. In a climate like ours, we know that teenage mothers tend to have slimmer chance of making it in life, they become ostracized from their family, friends and society, Life becomes Five times as hard. Its hard to not understand their point of view for terminating it, afterall this victim is far more of a person than the unwanted foetus.
Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by donnffd(m): 2:02pm On Aug 03, 2016
johnydon22:

I wouldn't even though i recognize it is a tough choice for her to make.

Its a shame, she would have loved the great johnydon22 to stand behind her smiley .

Even as a fully functional human you still have tails only seating on it, My argument is based on the feotus being a functional system of cells, an off spring of humans and at that i reserve a right for them to live.

I do agree this to be a delicate matter and it's understandable if the mother chooses to abort the feotus at this juncture being a result of a forceful act, but i also do believe that every baby deserves as much chance to live like every other.

I reserve a right for them to live as well, but reality is brutal, majority of human offsprings dont get the chance to live, its just Nature, and even though that kind of abortion was intentional, it was based on the circumstance surrounding it. I think we have a duty to make sure living conditions are worthwhile and security is paramount, so that everyone who has a chance to live would live life to its fullest and not meet what we can call "the misery of nature".

She still has a future even the baby you may say different from the original plan but we all know the eventuality of achieving a desired goal is still under the confines of chance.

In a climate like ours, we know that teenage mothers tend to have slimmer chance of making it in life, they become ostracized from their family, friends and society, Life becomes Five times as hard. The chances of achieving that desired goal falls dramatically

This is my philosophy, this is my belief - thus future is uncertain, that you'd live tomorrow is still even under heavy chance, so i believe in living in the moment which is directly why i ask for patience and perserverence on the part of such 'ill fated unready mothers".

something beautiful may yet come from it, that baby may still be the beacon that lights her future.

I agree 100% with this...

Nature kills us everyday, why then do we complain when a human kills another - because this time a mind is involved, a decision was taken.

So you would not react same way when a land slide occurs and a boulder smashes someone to death AND when a boulder was pushed deliberately by someone else to smash another to death.

I agree with your points, but i feel they are not well representatives of the situation, an abortion is a personal choice by the mother or it should be, it really cant be compared with a deliberate act of murder.

I do believe she has every right to and by all means do - my sentiments are from the direct tilt of my emotional moral principles.

Helping others to survive as long as it does not directly endanger your own life

And I respect that, i personally dont know what i would do if i was in that situation(since i am a male,i probably never will), but i would stand-up for anyone in a predicament like that irrespective of the choice she makes. Its her body, and her life.
Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by kevoh(m): 3:02pm On Aug 03, 2016
Abortion is never a wise option except in cases where the pregnancy poses as life threatening to the mother.

Apart from the fact that you are killing a living being, you just probably might set yourself off to a chidless life. I know a couple (inlaws)who are presently chidless over 11 years now, thanks to the abortion they carried out in a bid to circumvent their church rules that intending couples should not be pregnant before marriage.

Most abortions are done by non-professional doctors, hence the danger. Abortions may cause:
1 Cervical Damage: The cervix is cut and becomes weak and not able to bear up the weight of a growing child, leading to premature births or miscarriages.
2. Tubal pregnancies : Majority of abortions involve scraping of the womb and cutting of the baby into pieces. Yes you heard that right! This results in the womb receiving some cuts too. A fertilized egg find it's difficult to imlant itself in the walls of a scarred womb and does that in the fallopian tube instead. As the child grows, there's no room in the tube for it to expand, internal bleeding arises from this and the tube is removed. Bye Bye to any chance of being pregnant again.

There are a few other causes especially the one that has to do with Rh sensitivity test. But will stop here for now.
Re: Perspectives On Abortion(johnydon22 Vs donnffd) by 4kings: 7:15pm On Aug 03, 2016
kevoh:
Abortion is never a wise option except in cases where the pregnancy poses as life threatening to the mother.
I completely agree.

(1) (Reply)

Strange Lady Poses Completely Unclad With The Holy Bible / I Used To See The Future,i Need Help / How Possible Is It To Be In The World And Yet Not Be Of The World?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.