Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,461 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:46 PM

Why We End Our Letters With "Yours Sincerely" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why We End Our Letters With "Yours Sincerely" (472 Views)

JAMB Admission Letters(information) / 2015 Agbami Scholarship Award Letters Are Available. / What Are The Grammatical Names Of The Words Written In Bold Letters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why We End Our Letters With "Yours Sincerely" by Sirnose(m): 1:49pm On Aug 03, 2016
Hello Nairalanders!..how is your day going?..
I want to share with you something i just discovered..
Have you ever asked why we sign our letters with the words "yours sincerely"?..
The word "sincere" is a Latin word "sine cera"....
Since the days of Michelangelo,the great sculptor,sculptors had been hiding the flaws in their work by smearing hot wax into the cracks of their works and then dabbing the wax with stone dust.The method was considered cheating,and therefore,any sculpture "without wax"-literally "sincera"-was considered a "sincere"piece of art.The phrase stuck.
Thats why till this day,we still sign our letters with "sincerely",as a promise that we have written "without wax" and that our words are true...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pls What Does Outstand Means In Waec / I Feel Restless When Sitting Down During Lectures / Houdegbe North American University,benin 2016/17 Admission Call 08062129261

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.