Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,807 members, 7,802,584 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 (16870 Views)

Did Nnamdi Kanu Disappear With Restructuring? / "Restructuring My Foot! To Hell With Restructuring", Governor Shettima / Restructuring Nigeria Will Make No Difference - Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:04am On Aug 04, 2016
ABUJA —Former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (retd), has said there was nothing wrong with restructuring the country, provided it was done within the context of one Nigeria.
Gen. Gowon
Gowon said this, yesterday, when Shehu Sani, Vice-Chairman, Senate Committee on Foreign Affairs, paid him a courtesy visit in Abuja.
He recalled that Nigeria was restructured under his leadership as the head of state with the creation of states in 1967.
He said: “We can restructure within one Nigeria context. I did it in 1967; we created states to stop eastern Nigeria from seceding. We had to do something to ensure the fear of their seceding did not exist; a serious issue of a part of the country wanting to breakaway when we already lost a part to Cameroon.
"If we had allowed the eastern region to go away, the map of Nigeria would have looked funny; it would have been tilted one way. So, we decided overnight to break the fear through the creation of states. If we had to save the country, that was the only way to do it. We also ensured that no state was too big or too small to threaten the unity of the country.”
On his time as the number one citizen in the country, Gowon said: “Accident of history made it possible for him to become head of state. What happened was the accident of history. When you have lost your leadership and there was crisis and you don’t know what to do and it happened that those within your constituency chose you, what would you do?
“I was lucky enough within the military at that time and all the officers knew me by reputation. I had no intention to become head of state but it is the opportunity, if opportunity presents itself and people ask you to do it then do it.
“What I have achieved is (because of) God. I had never thought of becoming head of state but there was a coup and all my senior colleagues were killed and I was the only one that survived.
“My plan was to rise in my profession and hopefully become a head in my profession but that did not happen. I didn’t know what happened but I had the duty and responsibility to ensure the coup in Lagos did not succeed.”
He advised younger Nigerians to prepare themselves academically and morally to take advantage of opportunities when they presented themselves.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/theres-nothing-wrong-restructuring-nigeria-i-did-it-1967-gowon/

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Thewrath(m): 12:08am On Aug 04, 2016
Some people think otherwise.

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:10am On Aug 04, 2016
Thewrath:
e.g

General Casandra & Mere Commissioner..

43 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by fromnigeria(m): 12:16am On Aug 04, 2016
undecided
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by jaymejate: 12:23am On Aug 04, 2016
Later
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Nobody: 12:37am On Aug 04, 2016
The man that single handedly ensured biafra was dead and buried in 1970 while Ojukwu fled to ivory coast with his tail behind his legs. God bless Gowon for keeping this great nation one. We are forever grateful sad

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by lonelydora: 12:38am On Aug 04, 2016
Please tell them

2 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by yanabasee(m): 12:55am On Aug 04, 2016
Restructuring... Not starving the masses with poor economic policies...

11 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by BeeBeeOoh(m): 12:57am On Aug 04, 2016
Propropro:
The man that single handedly ensured biafra was dead and buried in 1970 while Ojukwu fled to ivory coast with his tail behind his legs. God bless Gowon for keeping this great nation one. We are forever grateful sad
Are biafrans and ojukwu the cause of Gen. Cassandra's woes or been deaf

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Nobody: 1:03am On Aug 04, 2016
BeeBeeOoh:

Ask Google tongue

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by nrexzy: 1:13am On Aug 04, 2016
This is 2016 not 1967... we heading to d future not the past..

5 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by joyandfaith: 3:41am On Aug 04, 2016
[quote author=BeeBeeOoh post=48165793]

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/08/theres-nothing-wrong-restructuring-nigeria-i-did-it-1967-gowon/

[/quote

and caused genocide in east and ongoing killing of your people in jos

5 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:01am On Aug 04, 2016
Propropro:

Ask Google tongue
you think u are doing us, you are doing your generation...

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by kettle84(m): 4:04am On Aug 04, 2016
Gowon the beginning of the end of the British creation.

5 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by FagsamPHP(m): 4:27am On Aug 04, 2016
k
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by BJAYADEMOLA(m): 5:30am On Aug 04, 2016
Alright. keep restructuring.
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Nobody: 5:39am On Aug 04, 2016
Propropro:
Thewrath:
Get this straight.

General JT Aguiyi Ironsi was the first to restructure Nigeria from regional governments to unitary one through Decree 34 of 1966 immediately the Ibos got power.

The northerners tasted it and saw how sweet it was and wouldn't let go.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by anungangampu: 5:41am On Aug 04, 2016
I pray this man stays alive to see the end of this unholy creation by the British.

I watched all his videos during and after the Biafran war, It became clear to me that he was just a tool used by the British to keep their farm intact. All his interviews he kept saying, we won't do this/that. Who knows you ?. After then did the Coup stop or internal crisis within the government. If u ask me this man is the worst thing that happened to Nigeria. Imagine if he Accepted Regionalism offered by Ojukwu and Awolowo then. By now am very sure even the British will envy us. We would have been the most developed black country on earth. But today Nigeria citizens are begging for their life as if we are still in a war.

71 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 04, 2016
One by one everyone is speaking up. We're waiting for that donkey Obj to also talk to his new best friend Buhari that restructuring is the way to go

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by gartamanta: 7:52am On Aug 04, 2016
Propropro:

And after 'Biafra died', has your country moved foward since then?

52 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Mylove55(f): 8:20am On Aug 04, 2016
BeeBeeOoh:
is pmb d cause of ur woes? why not ask pdp to help u for 16yrs

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Mylove55(f): 8:30am On Aug 04, 2016
sapiosexual1:
One by one everyone is speaking up. We're waiting for that donkey Obj to also talk to his new best friend Buhari that restructuring is the way to go
what do u know about restructuring? or u didnt read before u comment,
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by BeeBeeOoh(m): 9:41am On Aug 04, 2016
Mylove55:
*ignores*

5 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by ehikwe22: 9:55am On Aug 04, 2016
OK. because the map of Nigeria would look tilted if the East left that's why you didn't let it go? what a way of reasoning

40 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by nijabazaar: 10:48am On Aug 04, 2016
This is the kind of Noodle leaders we are cursed with....so ur primary purpose of restructuring then was so that Nigeriaz map wont get K leg on paper?

Stupid....just Negodu enough Stupidty.

here we are, such actions kept us in this hell hole. No tangible policies, A system for the North, by the North and.....

Thank God all these pressure groups, fuelled by a resentment for una stupidity, are givin u guys sleepless nites.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by chernest2002: 11:14am On Aug 04, 2016
Gowon is a vampire who don't know his real enemies.

8 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Volksfuhrer(m): 11:18am On Aug 04, 2016
Gowon was far from being a "noodle leader." He was arguably the best and noblest military ruler we've ever had in this country. A decent research on this gentleman isn't a bad idea.

In any case, it isn't Gowon's fault that your sense of humour isn't as sharp as it should be.

Kindest regards.

nijabazaar:
This is the kind of Noodle leaders we are cursed with....so ur primary purpose of restructuring then was so that Nigeriaz map wont get K leg on paper?

4 Likes

Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by qually: 11:35am On Aug 04, 2016
jaymejate:
Later
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by pyxon(m): 11:36am On Aug 04, 2016
On
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by Emeka71(m): 11:38am On Aug 04, 2016
What is important is that they should apply common-sense when restructuring Nigeria and don't lead the masses to a path of poverty.
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by pyxon(m): 11:38am On Aug 04, 2016
Mylove55:
Re: Gowon: There's Nothing Wrong With Restructuring Nigeria, I Did It In 1967 by CSTR12: 11:38am On Aug 04, 2016

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

He Has Privacy Rights — FBI, CIA Reject Request For Tinubu’s Records / Images From Makoko Waterfront Before Demolition / NAF Video: "We Didn't Kill Chibok Girls"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.