Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,495 members, 7,770,230 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 07:51 AM

Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' (66508 Views)

Living In Nigeria With Technology Is Like Being In China, Uk And Us Shopping / See More Photos Of Nigerian Transgender Noni Salma / Nigerian Transgender, Noni Salma Lawal Formerly Known As Habeeb Babatunde Lawal (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 04, 2016
Nigerian transgender Noni Salma formerly known as Habeeb babtunde Lawal has in a new interview with Joy Isi Bewaji explained how and why he decided to leave Nigeria to become a transgender in the United States..

Habeeb was an entertainment journalist in Lagos before he left the shores of Nigeria to pursue a degree in film in New York. There he said he found a place that was accepting of who he truly is - a woman.

He is now a trans woman, and her name is Noni Salma.

Enjoy excerpts of the interview. Noni reveals she has always been attracted to men because dating women made her feel like a lesbian.

JIB: You are transsexual because you have done the gender re-assignment surgery, right?

Noni: It’s a personal decision and I don’t need a surgery to be transgender. Whatever I decide to do is personal and an individual choice. The surgery is not a requirement. Sex re-assignment is personal. Transgender is an umbrella term that has nothing to do with surgery. If a transgender has had surgery, they are called pre-op trans and after surgery, they are known as post-op trans.

JIB: How does it feel to be a woman?

Noni: I have been a woman all my life. I was born a woman. It was more of accepting myself. My gender has never been in question. I was just scared of living in Nigeria while being a woman in a man’s body. I have never been a man. I don’t know what being a man feels like.

JIB: How did you deal with societal expectations?

Noni: I was bullied a lot. I was attacked for being feminine every day. I couldn’t tell my parents. Everything was exhausting and I became suicidal. The only way out was to transition. I kept asking myself why I wasn’t comfortable in my skin. It took me a year of therapy to finally convince myself to go through the transition process. It was scary. I never thought it would get to a point I would accept myself.

JIB: What gender are you sexually attracted to?

Noni: I have always been attracted to men. Dating women made me feel like a lesbian. A woman could be standing naked in front of me and it would be like a mannequin. I was at an awkward stage in my life and didn’t date much.

JIB: You live In New York. Do you have a lot of support there?

Noni: I have a lot of support here. I live in the Bronx, and daily I am amazed at the love people have shown me. I can navigate my world without feeling trapped. Not every Trans woman is lucky.

JIB: If you meet a man you are attracted to… do you tell men you are trans?

Noni: I always say it. I put it out there. Because it is shocking how holding back can hurt everyone. People can get violent at the drop a hat. ‘I love you’ can turn violent really fast when they don’t get the full picture of what they are into.

JIB: Who was the first person you told you were Trans?

Noni: In Nigeria I didn’t tell anyone. I carried a lot of baggage around. Since the news got out, I haven’t reached out to my family. I am not prepared to handle their reaction right now. I know the whole of Nigeria knows by now but it’s basically not my concern. I have enough support here. I go to therapy and belong to several support groups. I am not responsible for anybody.

JIB: Are you reacting badly to the hormonal drugs?

Noni: Not badly, just more emotional. I cry a lot these days. I cook a lot too.

JIB: Did your mum have and inkling that you were different?

Noni: I think she was in denial. I got into trouble a lot doing feminine things and wearing feminine clothes. I tried to be someone they expected me to be for four years from 25-29 years. I used to feel disgust for trans women. But the moment I accepted the trans woman was the moment I accepted myself.

JIB: How did your name come about?

Noni: I got my name from a movie. Noni was the name of the character I liked.

JIB: How does it make you feel when you hear that gays and trans are getting lynched in Nigeria?

Noni: At the end of the day, I want to be surrounded by love. Nigerians have no love for the LGBT community. I have no plans returning soon. I can’t change Nigeria and her laws.

JIB: Any plans to marry and raise kids?

Noni: Oh yeah… I have those plans. If it happens, fine; but if it doesn’t… I am not going to lose sleep over it.

JIB: What would you say about those going through gender issues in Nigeria?

Noni: It is going to be hard but it will get better. Do what you have to do to survive but do not transition in Nigeria. There are lots of Trans women in Nigeria but some just relocate to other places after a while; or they keep it really quiet so nobody knows. I believe that things will be better. For now, I don’t practice any religion. I just practice love. People who are not even Christians show me so much love.

JIB: You just premiered your movie. How did it go? How is life now?

Noni: It went well. It won an award and got a huge viewing. I am just eight months into my transition. Life is good but sometimes when I am alone, I still feel sad, especially about the years I tried to be someone I wasn’t. I used to care about what people thought but I do not anymore. I have priorities now.

JIB: Are you dating anyone?

Noni: I am not dating anyone. Not yet.

JIB: What is your kind of man?

Noni: I cannot stand small minded people. I want someone who is “woke”.

JIB: Who is your celebrity crush?

Noni: I’ll say Ikechukwu- the Nigerian rapper and Tom Hardley.

Last words from Noni:

I plan on going into acting and making more movies. No butt enhancing surgeries for me! I am not ashamed of my transitioning. My people should know that I am fine. I don’t mean to hurt or harm anybody. I. AM. FINE. And I am truly happy!

My thoughts? Live and let live.

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/08/nigerian-transgender-noni-salma-former-habeeb-lawal-story.html

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by ClassCaptain(m): 11:27am On Aug 04, 2016
Well done my bro.... ,, ok sis...sad

make we sha say well done my fellow human being... sad

its not easy be a man in this changi of a thing sad.

Thats why i now follow ur footstep..i too av transgeder like caitlylin and he sweet my body much ..

U can now call me miss lepros

Before a man,i post picture on IG as fine as am, only 2 likes from white people sad

but now i twerk my silicon bom bom in bum shot , and i get many likes and comments smiley

now i talk rubbish on facebook, people still like it smiley and am get a lot of thnks for accepting my requests.......

Now also i dont pay money to enter club smiley and my former mates now buy drinks for me for free smiley...

It sweet to transgered a lot and benefit in it smiley...am going to go cut off the thing and trans fully soon and evry month i wear pad and pretend am flowing too :-/

mr habeeb. Mi ro boya e gbadun sir sad

Noni salma kor, Samklef Alaran ni sad

186 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 04, 2016
Rubbish

I detest people who are not satisfied with what God gave them

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 04, 2016
We don't entertain trannies in Nigeria.
Dude knew he'd end up locked in a Mental Hospital.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by joyberry(f): 11:39am On Aug 04, 2016
Despite all the surgeries, he still as ugly as shit.it really shows u can't cheat nature. Na to begin ask for baby pictures these days oh

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by ClassCaptain(m): 11:49am On Aug 04, 2016
End time man

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Nobody: 11:53am On Aug 04, 2016
Overwhelming lunancy.

7 Likes

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Smellymouth: 11:54am On Aug 04, 2016
StunchLord:
Overwhelming lunancy.

cheesy
Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Smellymouth: 11:54am On Aug 04, 2016
grin

54 Likes

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 04, 2016
Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by shugacane(f): 1:01pm On Aug 04, 2016
Trashy! ..see his(her) ugly face lipsrsealed

2 Likes

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by pheyhi(f): 2:32pm On Aug 04, 2016
Na wa oooo people can condemn ehnnnnn the pickle in their eyes is not enough for them,
Some christians would come here and start shouting 'hell fire things' 'end time things' as if heaven is sure for them that are shouting

Judge not so ye shall not be judged, cry and shout she will not change,

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Slimberry1(f): 3:58pm On Aug 04, 2016
cry*sighs
Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 04, 2016
Ok who cares?? Certainly not I undecided

4 Likes

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by chudyprince: 5:18pm On Aug 04, 2016
ClassCaptain:
Well done my bro.... ,, ok sis...sad

make we sha say well done my fellow human being... sad

its not easy be a man in this changi of a thing sad.

Thats why i now follow ur footstep..i too av transgeder like caitlylin and he sweet my body much ..

U can now call me miss lepros

Before a man,i post picture on IG as fine as am, only 2 likes from white people sad

but now i twerk my silicon bom bom in bum shot , and i get many likes and comments smiley

now i talk rubbish on facebook, people still like it smiley and am get a lot of thnks for accepting my requests.......

Now also i dont pay money to enter club smiley and my former mates now buy drinks for me for free smiley...

It sweet to transgered a lot and benefit in it smiley...am going to go cut off the thing and trans fully soon and evry month i wear pad and pretend am flowing too :-/

mr habeeb. Mi ro boya e gbadun sir sad

Noni salma kor, Samklef Alaran ni sad

grin

3 Likes

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by boss1310(m): 6:27pm On Aug 04, 2016
all these wackos run to abroad not just for safety but to get a white man to marry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by ngoben(f): 6:58pm On Aug 04, 2016
One word to describe him/her UGLY

4 Likes

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by patola080(m): 7:20pm On Aug 04, 2016
One ve to look well b4 he will marry now ooooo

2 Likes

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by priscaoge(f): 7:21pm On Aug 04, 2016
Afọ mụrụ nke a gba aka nwa cry

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by emeijeh(m): 7:24pm On Aug 04, 2016
This shit is actually gaining ground in this country.
Rubbish
Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by smartpyzee(m): 7:24pm On Aug 04, 2016
Wu go marry dis 1

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by guiddoti: 7:24pm On Aug 04, 2016
transgender or not? nal
Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by CSTR12: 7:25pm On Aug 04, 2016
I have met uglier Nigerian girls.

10 Likes

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 04, 2016
Guess her tribe by her conehead?

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by johnstar(m): 7:26pm On Aug 04, 2016
Issokay
Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by edgeofglory: 7:27pm On Aug 04, 2016
pls, one question have been on my mind about this transgender stuff.

When they do this transgender surgery, what happens to their dyck? do they cut it off or what? And will they have v.jay after the surgery?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by omas1(m): 7:28pm On Aug 04, 2016
angry looking so ugly, he/she has the most horrible face, body I ave ever seen in my entire life..
I really feel for the parents.
if I should see this thing on the road , I won't take a second look @ her.
On a more serious note mods should stop bringing post like this to front page, you just made the insignificant bittch famous.

3 Likes

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by Nobody: 7:28pm On Aug 04, 2016
Eeeeeeeewww! Damn! What the f....k! Anyway na him own palaver be dat

1 Like

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by JustHere2Observ(f): 7:28pm On Aug 04, 2016
Iranu, so you are a woman with penis and that feels normal to you.
This is what happens when beg for kids from demons

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by dannyville2(m): 7:28pm On Aug 04, 2016
This one go good for all those rapists o.

2 Likes

Re: Noni Salma: 'I Was Scared Of Living In Nigeria As A Woman In A Mans Body' by kidman96(m): 7:29pm On Aug 04, 2016
HIS LIFE .... OR HER LIFE....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

You Don’t Have To Open Your Cleavage: Beautiful Wedding Gown Of Deeper Life Lady / What Does The "G" In G-strings Stand For? / What These Women Wore To A Store (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.