Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,281 members, 7,807,942 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye (30578 Views)

Profile Of Olabiyi Durojaiye: NCC Chairman / How To Criticise Buhari And Get Away With It - Ayo Sogunro / I Criticise Buhari As Most Senior Governor In Nigeria — Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:08pm On Aug 04, 2016
Earlier this morning, I received a call from a member of my palmchat social media circle probing my silence on the appointment of 84-years old Otunba Senator Biyi Durojaiye as the new Chairman of Nigeria Communication Commission, a sector unarguably dominated by young people. Though I wasn't impressed by the appointment of Otunba Biyi, and I see it as another setback in the agitation for a generational shift in leadership, I still couldn't help but do a retrospection in PDP, that I am unfortunately aligned with at the moment to check whether it is any different.

About 24hours after the appointment of Otunba Durojaiye, the Makarfi led Caretaker Committee of the PDP released a 248-member National Convention Committee list and another 80-member Finance Committee list for the Convention. A look at the 328 Member Combined list will show names of those that came, saw and never conquered. No single individual within the youth age of 18-35 was considered. In the list, there are lots of people that are even in their Seventies(official age). On sighting the list, I told some members of my clique that young people are in trouble in both parties. Then I asked "What is the difference between the appointment of  Senator Durojaiye and the PDP Convention Committee list?"

APC AND PDP DON'T CARE ABOUT THE YOUTH
If you take a look at the ministers appointed by the government of President Muhammadu Buhari, the "youngest" minister as at time of appointment was/is Abubakar Malami (SAN), who is the  Minister of Justice and Attorney General of the Federation. How "young" is he? He was 48years as at time of appointment in 2015, and now 49. Kemi Adeosun, the finance minister that people call "young" is also 49(a month older than Malami). Meanwhile, the Youth Policy in Nigeria defines youths as citizens of the Federal Republic of Nigeria within the age of 18–35 years. In other words, there is NOT a single Youth within Buhari cabinet... Even the Youth Affairs Minister is 54 years of age.

Under the last administration, the only youth that made it into the cabinet of President Goodluck Jonathan was Dr Nurudeen Mohammed, who was appointed at age 35, though the appointment was commendable, he was however relegated to the position of junior minister despite his performance in the Senate during screening exercise. Meanwhile, the former President would later appoint a 58years old two-time former Governor of Adamawa state, Boni Haruna as "Youth Minister". He would also appoint an 80years old Dr. Christopher Kolade as Head of Sure-P, and an 80-years old Bamangar Tukur as "Ambassador at Large". For those that may be unaware, Tukur was a Governor of Gongola state in 1983 (36years ago).

In truth, political appointment in this part of the world is about "sharing" the spoils among party top chieftains and not based on factors that will push the country forward. This is the norm in both PDP and APC, and unfortunately for young people, they are never considered in the scheme of things because they were not among the "FOUNDING FATHERS" of either parties.  The interesting thing about the whole event is that both APC and PDP have a form of established barter system where there is an unwritten code that mandates both parties to heavily reward any chieftain that switches camps.  This privilege is only reserved for "elder chieftains' not rank and file youths.

THE CHIEFTAINS OF PARTIES IN BOTH APC AND PDP WILL CONTINUE TO HOLD SWAY
If you look at both parties, for one to emerge as candidate for General election or Conventions, he must win popular votes among the "delegates" of the party. Who are these delegates?

While some may assume that the "youths" from both camps can mobilise themselves with their clear majority, both parties constitution doesn't work that way.

In the PDP for instance, to elect a governorship candidate, the party constitution provides that each ward will present 3 delegates, of which one will be a woman. To provide shield in case of hijack, the party provides that there shall be "AUTOMATIC DELEGATES". These automatic delegates include, National Chairman and Members of the National Executive Committee, Elected office holders from the state, Members of the Zonal and State Executive Committee,   LG Party Secretary, Treasurer, Youth Leader and Woman Leader, Former members of state Working Committee,  Former Governor and Deputy produced by the Party and  Former Speakers & Deputy Speakers.

A look at the "automatic delegates" has given the "Chieftains" undue advantage in the whole process. We shouldn't even forget that even the ward congress is organised by the chieftains and their wish stays. This is not different from APC... Well, their party after all.

NIGERIA NEEDS 21ST CENTURY LEADERSHIP
Nigeria is in a quagmire because the people that were the problem are the same group of people parading themselves as the solution, even when they either lack the cognitive skill required of 21st century leadership or they are simply there to further their business.

Our present crop of Governors and LGA Chairmen are unable to use modern skills to achieve wealth creation, neither are they able to utilise various resources in their domain to shoot IGR upward. Shamefully, most of them believe that governance is about sitting in the office and waiting for oil money to share. Some see governance as frivolty like  posing for pictures with the poor and those in need of good governance. Sadly, they couldn't consider it wise to appoint smart brains as Special Advisers to help shaping their administration.

NIGERIA YOUTHS MUST STEP UP
Nigeria Youths must arise. Our South African neighbours have grown beyond youth being part of governance but moved to young people taking over reins of power. Unlike Nigeria that keep permuting men of mid and late 50s-60s to succeed Buhari, South Africans are permuting lads of 33-45 to succeed Jacob Zuma in 2019.  We need a change in orientation and take that leap of faith for the sake of Nigeria and our future.

THE POWER OF YOUTHS
In 2013, a group of SA youths led by 33years old Julius Malema, a former President of ANC Youth Wing formed a political party called Economic Freedom Fighters. In 2015 August, they successfully secured a judgement from the Constitutional Court to order President Jacob Zuma and the Speaker to payback state funds that was used for personal effect. Before the judgement, the party participated in 2014 Parliamentary election and won a whopping TWENTY-FIVE seats out of 400 in the National Assembly, and Seven out of 90 in the National Council of Province. These are in addition to seats won in various provinces. In fact, they became the third force in South Africa.

In 2014 a 17-years old Joshua Wong, and other teenagers including Agnes Chow and Oscar Lai, and 21-years old Nathan law led fellow students to shut down Hong Kong for almost two months due to unfavorable pro-China policy. Even after the protest, these lads went ahead to form a Political Party in April 2016 Demosistō. Nathan Law(23) is the Chairman, Oscar Lai is Vice Chairman, and Joshua Wong is Secretary general. A key agenda in their manifesto is self-determination for Hong Kong people, and they have been growing in popularity despite government persecution.

I believe that I have said a lot. I wish to take a pause at this juncture.

As for my PDP friends, before you criticise Buhari for appointing an 84-years old man as NCC Chairman, please ask yourself whether or not PDP considered a youth in their own appointment. As for those young people that are justifying the appointment, I leave you to your conscience.

May God Bless Us All and Bless Nigeria

153 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by Raydos: 6:10pm On Aug 04, 2016
Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by CHIJIOKE1314: 6:13pm On Aug 04, 2016
Sweet post.. For peeps way get sense..

But unfortunately, some baskards would soon jump in to start chanting Sai baba that has drained their brains into dry nuts...

SMH for Nigerian yoots.. .

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by papaejima1: 6:15pm On Aug 04, 2016
You are unfortunately aligned with PDP at the moment?

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by khadaffi(m): 6:17pm On Aug 04, 2016
We have heard this problem times without number. So what's the solution?? What annoys me most is when a 50 - 60 something years old is being paraded as a youth. What nonsense!! Are we fools.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:27pm On Aug 04, 2016
papaejima1:
You are unfortunately aligned with PDP at the moment?
Exactly

6 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by Dcomrade(m): 6:29pm On Aug 04, 2016
Nice write up but that doesn't justify his appointment still grin..

As for PDP? I don't blame the elders but the youth that don't even know what they want.

Youths that will be jumping up and down defending corrupt people insulting themselves, trending hash tags for politicians. grin

14 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:35pm On Aug 04, 2016
SA Democratic Alliance 36 years old party leader Maimane

SA EFF 36Years old Party leader Malema

Hong kong Demosistō Party leaders(All under 24)

Nigeria APC Leaders

Nigeria PDP Leaders

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by babyfaceafrica: 6:40pm On Aug 04, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by tuniski: 6:42pm On Aug 04, 2016
It is like that everywhere even in the most advanced democracies.
No one dashes slots or simply allot youth or women elective/appointive offices. It is a war we must fight!

By the way, every society defines its youth the ceiling for nigeria is 50 while under 30 are children. Any other are the abnormal!

9 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by Dcomrade(m): 6:42pm On Aug 04, 2016
About 24hours after the appointment of Otunba Durojaiye, the Makarfi led Caretaker Committee of the PDP released a 248-member National Convention Committee list and another 80-member Finance Committee list for the Convention. A look at the 328 Member Combined list will show names of those that came, saw and never conquered. No single individual within the youth age of 18-35 was considered. In the list, there are lots of people that are even in their Seventies(official age).

Saw the names and I asked myself , where are the so called overlords forming they are fighting for the youth in the party? grin

Barca, so even your name nor dey? shocked you guys need to wake up or keep sleeping and stop complaining undecided

Can't the youths form their own political party? undecided
Asking for a friend grin

Enough said.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by opeaceo: 6:44pm On Aug 04, 2016
I liked the fact that you balanced both sides of the argument, but then, it seems as if you were excusing APC because PDP had set an agenda, it should be outrightly condemned by the supporters of both PDP and APC.

For Youths making a statement in Nigeria, we are not ready, we are not prepared, when we are, we would do something about the situation, until then...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:45pm On Aug 04, 2016
Dcomrade:
Nice write up but that doesn't justify his appointment still grin..

As for PDP? I don't blame the elders but the youth that don't even know what they want.

Youths that will be jumping up and down defending corrupt people insulting themselves, trending hash tags for politicians. grin

Guy, I have to be honest with you, as much as I condemn the appointment, I have to admit that it is same thing at all parties especially among the "founding fathers". Let's stop this blame game and consider what to do to change the tide

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by Progressive01(m): 6:49pm On Aug 04, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:
Sweet post.. For peeps way get sense..

But unfortunately, some baskards would soon jump in to start chanting Sai baba that has drained their brains into dry nuts...

SMH for Nigerian yoots.. .
And how in sweet little earth has this comment of yours made any sense?? How have you contributed to the discourse??

That head you shook most definitely needs some urgent surgery.

11 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:49pm On Aug 04, 2016
tuniski:
It is like that everywhere even in the most advanced democracies.
No one dashes slots or simply allot youth or women elective/appointive offices. It is a war we must fight!

By the way, every society defines its youth the ceiling for nigeria is 50 while under 30 are children. Any other are the abnormal!
Hahaha @Emboldened... That is so funny...

Seriously, how many people even know that Youth ceiling in Nigeria is 35? You see this is a country that has made 55 year olds believe that they are YOUTHS cheesy

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by PapaBrowne(m): 6:50pm On Aug 04, 2016
Political Parties are entirely different from Governmental Agencies. An agency in the class of NCC requires a superordinary technocrat with age very much on his side.

This is a terrible appointment and there will never be any plausible justification for it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by DropShot: 6:53pm On Aug 04, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

Guy, I have to be honest with you, as much as I condemn the appointment, I have to admit that it is same thing at all parties especially among the "founding fathers". Let's stop this blame game and consider what to do to change the tide
Give us the exact date of birth of Biyi Durojaye. It's the least you can do to prove he's 84 yrs b4 anything else.
Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by Badtman(m): 6:53pm On Aug 04, 2016
Booking

Dis rubbish post will soon made Front Page no Doubt na Tonyebarca lo n soro

Nairaland and PDP member dem be 5 and 6

Mtchewwwww

1 Like

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by Eleanoralph(m): 6:54pm On Aug 04, 2016
PapaBrowne:
Political Parties are entirely different from Governmental Agencies. An agency in the class of NCC requires a superordinary technocrat with age very much on his side.

This is a terrible appointment and there will never be any plausible justification for it.

Kpakam

2 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by AZeD1(m): 6:58pm On Aug 04, 2016
The politics section of Nairaland tells you all you need to know about the youths of this country.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:59pm On Aug 04, 2016
Dcomrade:

Saw the names and I asked myself , where are the so called overlords forming they are fighting for the youth in the party? grin

Barca, so even your name nor dey? shocked you guys need to wake up or keep sleeping and stop complaining undecided

Can't the youths form their own political party? undecided
Asking for a friend grin

Enough said.
Lol when I am not among the "founding fathers"?
Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by DaudaAbu(m): 7:00pm On Aug 04, 2016
The youths that have found themselves in many positions of authority have unfortunately not given the youth a fair representation.

Names like Akpobolokemi came to mind (i didnt mention him because of whats goin on but becos of his age) Abdulmuminu jibril also comes to mind(i believe he spoke because hewas relieve else he would have been quiet)

Most of the youths that have been opportuned to be in gov't hav been marred with one allegation or the other from 1999 - till date.

Salisu buhari, bankole, etc the name ate just to numerous

6 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:04pm On Aug 04, 2016
PapaBrowne:

My brother, both need a mix of experience and 21st century know-how. In Kenya, Orange party youths are telling Raila Odinga to step aside for fresh blood to step in.

Though I maintained that the appointment of the 84yrs old man is unfortunate

2 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:05pm On Aug 04, 2016
DaudaAbu:
The youths that have found themselves in many positions of authority have unfortunately not given the yoith a fair representation.

Names like Akpobolokemi came to mind (i didnt mention him because of whats goin on but becos of his age) Abdulmuminu jibril also comes to mind(i believe he spoke because he was relieve else he would have been quiet)
The problem with those Yoots is that they found there way up through a godfather, and his interest MUST be protected.

9 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by tuniski: 7:20pm On Aug 04, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:
Hahaha @Emboldened... That is so funny...

Seriously, how many people even know that Youth ceiling in Nigeria is 35? You see this is a country that has made 55 year olds believe that they are YOUTHS cheesy
That is the reality Youth ceiling in nigeria is 30 to 50. Youth connotes a level of development not Just age. An average 30yr old in nigeria is like an 18yr old in Some climes.

1 Like

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 7:33pm On Aug 04, 2016
tuniski:

That is the reality Youth ceiling in nigeria is 30 to 50. Youth connotes a level of development not Just age. An average 30yr old in nigeria is like an 18yr old in Some climes.
As much as I agree with you that our yoots need to be youths, I disagre with the Youth ceiling as argued by you. This is because even the 35-50 are not behaving like youths.

2 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by CHIJIOKE1314: 7:34pm On Aug 04, 2016
[s]
Progressive01:
And how in sweet little earth has this comment of yours made any sense?? How have you contributed to the discourse??

That head you shook most definitely needs some urgent surgery.
[/s]

The arrival of the 'Sai Baba' chanter..

You just quoted me only to douse your heat for anything anti-baba..
Your dry (Sai Baba) head always directs you into fights you can only be fed sand..

Oh! ye blind yoot, wakeup and withdraw ur tongue from the aSxs of that wicked gworo munching monster..

10 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by tempest02: 7:41pm On Aug 04, 2016
TonyeBarcanista Your heading is wrong and distorts the message you are trying to pass.

"Before you criticise Buhari..."

So because PDP would do same, or did same it shouldn't be criticised according to your logic?

2 Likes

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by StOla: 7:42pm On Aug 04, 2016
TonyeBarcanista:

The problem with those Yoots is that they found there way up through a godfather, and his interest MUST be protected.

Interest of Tompolo.

1 Like

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:16pm On Aug 04, 2016
tempest02:
TonyeBarcanista Your heading is wrong and distorts the message you are trying to pass.

"Before you criticise Buhari..."

So because PDP would do same, or did same it shouldn't be criticised according to your logic?

Lol I never said nobody should criticise Buhari but I was driving at a point

1 Like

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by tomakint: 9:00pm On Aug 04, 2016
Fantastic write up, the level at which this clamour for youths representation in the sphere of political arena is at his crescendo especially at such a time like this. However, let it be known by all and sundry that the issue of youths involvement in our polity has been over flogged over the years. I am yet to see youth leaders representing the youths well in our political arena. Need I mention names, Dino Melaye at 42 years is every reason why no reasonable leader will consider youths amidst them. He is not even recognised in his Kogi Home State. Amaechi st 38 emerged speaker of Rivers State House of Assembly under Odili but what did he do to help youths or champion their cause in Rivers State? You know it. Why I do not support the idea of appointments of Grandpas and Grandmas in place of sensitive positions I must also say that most of the youth leaders we have paraded over the years only see positions in governance as their own personal till not minding the fellow youths that sacrifised sweat and blood to get them there. Before you judge me, just look inward into our own Nairaland and size up the mindsets of the membership (mostly youths), then you will understand. Once again, nice write up Tonye.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Before You Criticise Buhari For Appointing An 84-Year-Old Durojaiye by TonyeBarcanista(m): 9:25pm On Aug 04, 2016
StOla:

Interest of Tompolo.
Lol you are funny

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pictures From PDP Campaign Rally In Benue State / Photos from the signing of second National peace Accord / President Tinubu Yet To Move Into Villa Six Weeks After Inauguration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.