Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice (14590 Views)

What Decision You Made That Made Or Marred Your Career? / Boost Your Career With I.T Training + Certification / How To Improve On Your Career With I.T (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by montumonami(m): 4:00pm On Aug 07, 2016
Broh.... I was in the same condition....... But quited.... Now training on Computer aided design........... Which is very significant in mechanical engineering design.......... No knowlegde is waste though.. But what U will defend must be mechanical engineering inclined

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 4:00pm On Aug 07, 2016
BlackPeni5:

I'll advise u as a little brother...you are too young as an IT student to start comparing yourself with the staff. As an IT u are there to learn and not earn...any money u earn is just a bonus. More importantly I've come to realise that no knowledge is wasted...u may be surprised that this experience may help you in an interview tomorrow cos employers want people with the most diverse knowledge.

wish u the best as u decide wisely
]

Ur moniker though, thanks anyway
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 4:01pm On Aug 07, 2016
montumonami:
Broh.... I was in the same condition....... But quited.... Now training on Computer aided design........... Which is very significant in mechanical engineering design.......... No knowlegde is waste though.. But what U will defend must be mechanical engineering inclined

My thoughts exactly
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by AimmHigh(m): 4:04pm On Aug 07, 2016
I pray I see placement like u, am also mechanical engineering student in Federal university well known, still @home for d past 2months now... guy manage it bro
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 4:04pm On Aug 07, 2016
cutiedave:
Op, i was exactly in your shoes...am a mechanical.engr student.
Did my siwes in a big company in which i worked myself out(both in the mechanical and electrical departments, i even did some menial jobs sef)..

At first i thought i was just working in vain and was about to quit...
Just i was planning how i would write my resignation letter grin, the production manager himself came to me and acknowledged my good works,...after everything i was paid 70k after d training with a promise of easy employment whenever am done with school...

I advise u to endure...it might just b a blessing in disguise

I will take ur advice since you have added through same experience
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 4:05pm On Aug 07, 2016
Duru009:
Receive grace now to be humble........

Humble urself bro. God will exait u in due time.

"many people give up at the tail of dre breakthrough".......

U are almost dre. Dont give up

I am humble that is why I we here to seek advice
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 07, 2016
Undergraduate are dey on this forum?. ...no wonder the many childish talk....na really children full here
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 4:23pm On Aug 07, 2016
daylife7:
Undergraduate are dey on this forum?. ...no wonder the many childish talk....na really children full here

That statement is not a sensible one
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by king1234: 4:29pm On Aug 07, 2016
you must be a learner. you want to quit because they are making you do electical job when you are a mech student.this has got to be the most stupid statement I have heard.

I read Elect Engineering up till masters sef...guess what I do today? I work in the bank doing a lot of programming, analytics, automation while learning a lot on finance. I have been in finance now for 6 yrs and working in the bank was the best thing that happened to me. This is life...who is to tell where the skills u r learning today will take u in life.

Our current minister for works housing etc is a lawyer by training he was also once a governor. he did not learn public adminisration to handle these offices. he is relying on education built by life experiences with his law degree as his foundation. Trnasportation minister i believe did English. You are getting educated to apply knowledge to help where u find ur self not being dogmatic ah as a mech engineer i cant do this or that.
The last UK chancellor of exchequer read history(not 100% sure) but he was on sit to drive one of the worlds biggest economy

ur Mech Engineering is just a base its not meant to be the be all. when Nigerians start to relaise this then we stop looking down at what people read but what they can offer to society

2 Likes

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Ayebatonye(f): 4:32pm On Aug 07, 2016
Chiscomax:
I got a placement on the Last week of June, 2016 for my industrial training having completed 3years and a semester of Mechanical Engineering in a prominent Federal University. The I.T placement I got happen to be a project which I believe a lot of money is involved in( this is not my concern anyway).

I have worked with them through some mechanical stages until the site engineer insisted I work with him on electrical engineering jobs which I had to join him because he is a senior colleague after all. 3weeks into the electrical job it started to occur to me that I am;
1. Not gaining mechanical Experience
2. I am being used for most of the work(electrical) by this site engineer since I happen to learn fast and do more than my other colleagues even when they are getting paid and I am not and it is going to 2 months now

I have discussed the issue with the site manager and he promised to talk to the site engineer which I am not certain of he did.

I am fed of everything and the training is becoming frustrating since I am neither Learning what I came for nor getting any pay for doing electrical jobs.

I intend meeting the site manager on Monday to quit if they insist I do the electrical jobs which hectic and comes along side with other mini jobs like digging to lay Cables, climbing of tanks. Please I need your advice

I am living example. I started my IT last year and it will end this month. I work in a Federal Ministry and to be frank, am not being paid but one thing is that I have learnt a lot. I am a mass communication student, and what I learnt is far beyond my imaginations. Although there are times i wish I was being paid. They may not pay u now but when u round up, something might be given to u. No experience is a waste.
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Duru009(m): 4:33pm On Aug 07, 2016
I was in ur shoe b4.....
But today is a different story.
Dont run faster than ur legs.
Its not easy i know.

Chiscomax:

I am humble that is why I we here to seek advice

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by divad9two5(m): 4:37pm On Aug 07, 2016
Op, I quite understand your situation. However, you need to put things in perspective.
Firstly, think about it, do you have a better alternative? If not, I'll suggest you weather the storm and leverage on this opportunity to learn something outside mechanical engineering. You'll be surprised where/how the experience will become an added advantage to you.

I can never forget how I spent almost a year (due to strike) working without pay throughout my IT period and another 6 months after graduation working for a small firm also without kudi. The hours were long and conditions weren't rewarding or motivating. It wasn't until I went for my first job interview that I realised that the training and experience had placed me light years ahead of most of my peers. Fast forward to today, by God's grace it has placed me where I'm now enjoying the fruit of my labour.

In conclusion, stay humble, chin up and make the right sacrifices today so that you can enjoy a rewarding tomorrow. Remember, its only in the dictionary that success comes before work.

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 4:38pm On Aug 07, 2016
Duru009:
I was in ur shoe b4.....
But today is a different story.
Dont run faster than ur legs.
Its not easy i know.

Nice
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 4:40pm On Aug 07, 2016
divad9two5:
Op, I quite understand your situation. However, you need to put things in perspective.
Firstly, think about it, do you have a better alternative? If not, I'll suggest you weather the storm and leverage on this opportunity to learn something outside mechanical engineering. You'll be surprised where/how the experience will become an added advantage to you.

I can never forget how I spent almost a year (due to strike) working without pay throughout my IT period and another 6 months after graduation working for a small firm also without kudi. The hours were long and conditions weren't rewarding or motivating. It wasn't until I went for my first job interview that I realised that the training and experience had placed me light years ahead of most of my peers. Fast forward to today, by God's grace it has placed me where I'm now enjoying the fruit of my labour.

In conclusion, stay humble, chin up and make the right sacrifices today so that you can enjoy a rewarding tomorrow. Remember, its only in the dictionary that success comes before work.
It is tuely not easy but I will
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Duru009(m): 4:47pm On Aug 07, 2016
Dre is no situation in this life or circumstances wre someone somewhere has not xperience....

Chiscomax:

Nice
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Nobody: 5:08pm On Aug 07, 2016
Chiscomax:

Money is motivation whether u like it or not. How can someone work when he has not eaten?
Am currently doing my I.T at warri refining and petrol chemical company with no pay, so just chill, I declined at first but my mom convinced me to do it, it's just abt the experience, the money will come later
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Nobody: 5:45pm On Aug 07, 2016
Chiscomax:

That statement is not a sensible one

I think u should focus more on ur books and try to get a good grade rather wasting ur time in NL and blocking ur course. .... producing half-baked graduates.
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by dnawah(m): 6:01pm On Aug 07, 2016
Chiscomax:
I got a placement on the Last week of June, 2016 for my industrial training having completed 3years and a semester of Mechanical Engineering in a prominent Federal University. The I.T placement I got happen to be a project which I believe a lot of money is involved in( this is not my concern anyway).

I have worked with them through some mechanical stages until the site engineer insisted I work with him on electrical engineering jobs which I had to join him because he is a senior colleague after all. 3weeks into the electrical job it started to occur to me that I am;
2. I am being used for most of the work(electrical) by this site engineer since I happen to learn fast and do more than my other colleagues even when they are getting paid and I am not and it is going to 2 months now

I have discussed the issue with the site manager and he promised to talk to the site engineer which I am not certain of he did.

I am fed of everything and the training is becoming frustrating since I am neither Learning what I came for nor getting any pay for doing electrical jobs.

I intend meeting the site manager on Monday to quit if they insist I do the electrical jobs which hectic and comes along side with other mini jobs like digging to lay Cables, climbing of tanks. Please I need your advice

if am ur senior bro,the kind flog i go flog u.see ur life u even get where u dey do IT.my bros continue with it,i beg u,u no no 2morow o!with that experience only u can feed ur generation o!this is 9ja o!i no plenty MEE way dey work 4 bank now.
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Luckygurl(f): 6:08pm On Aug 07, 2016
Wow!!

I was more or less in a similar situation like you.
Started my IT on the 5th of May with an oil and gas servicing company.
As if they were waiting for me, someone resigned and their front desk officer had to sit in for her while I sat at the front desk.
What has an electronic engineering student gotten to do with been a front desk officer?

I was there for a month and a week and really, I enjoyed it there cos it gave me the opportunity to meet lots of people whose help, I might need tomorrow although that satisfaction of doing virtually nothing as regards my course of study was not there.

All along, I made it known to the top management that I don't enjoy what I do like I disturb them every now and then while still going about my normal duty diligently.
They got tired of my troubles at a point and facilitated my transfer to the operations department.

And now! Even though what I do is not totally related to electronic engineering, I learn each passing day and it's been fun and stressful all along.
Been in operations has even afforded me greater opportunity of meeting influential people, really!

Thoughts of quitting crossed my mind lots of time but then I considered the possibility of getting another placement cos I had course mates who hadn't gotten as at then and a lot more without any form of pay even after working their ass off.

My humble opinion

Quitting is not an option unless you're sure you've got a place where you can get the required mechanical knowledge which is very unlikely.

Keeping silent about the issue or been lackadaisical about things sends off the signal that you're satisfied with the job you do.
Look out for the influential people in your organisation and talk to them to see how they can help you.
Be importunate about it, like remind them every now and them. Disturb the hell out of them grin grin
And make sure you still go about your job diligently.

See if there's anyway you can manage your time like working with the two departments together.
Maybe when you're less busy at the electrical section you can dash out to the mechanical section and try to work around what goes on there. Also maximise your lunch/break time very well, this might be tasking for you but you'll find out it is worth the stress at the end.

Finally!! No knowledge is a waste, believe me!
Even the electrical Knowledge you feel you don't need now and perhaps see it as a waste of time might be your saving grace tomorrow.

All the best!!

Besides!! Naija Companies I hail oo
Be using IT students like there's no tomorrow and no single pay at the end of the month.
Imagine an electronic engineering student as a front desk officer where it was written boldly on my letter that I'll be working with operations department.
Their luck be say them dey give me small kudi in place of salary. If not lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed angry angry

My hand don dey pain me oo
Chiscomax! I hope you find this useful smiley

2 Likes

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by liztemi(f): 6:15pm On Aug 07, 2016
I can relate with ur story, had the same issue during I.T. Was accepted into the computer college of an IT(information tech.)company to teach since I studied comp. Science but was later moved to the accounting dept. Less than a month of working with dem undecided, reasons being that I was hard-working and dedicated.

So just try to be focus bro and keep ur cool.
No effort is ever wasted u know, its either an experience is gotten from it or a lesson is learnt.....so pls don't quit cos it will soon end afterrall.
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by jnizzle(m): 6:17pm On Aug 07, 2016
My advice goes thus....u r very lucky to even learn the electerical aspect that you r currently doing.....wen u finish school, you might not even study wat u learnt in sch......wen I did my IT, I did mine wit a movie production company, my knowledge of driving a manual vechicle was put to use as I was d only 1 who could drive a manual car, I came to learn editing but I learnt more things dan I can imagine.....I still get called by dem years after to do jobs for dem and I get paid for it, let's just say am part of their family nw. So endure.
Chiscomax:

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by hardbody: 6:30pm On Aug 07, 2016
Chiscomax:

Have been patient for approximately 2 months now. Patience is not what I need now

You don't wanna be patient, you wanna be free, so why come here. You already know what you want and don't want, so take the step and bear the consequences thereof
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by chimah3(m): 7:50pm On Aug 07, 2016
Chiscomax:

Have been patient for approximately 2 months now. Patience is not what I need now

Just 2 months!! Bro! You never even begin!! Better stick your ass there and learn all u can...d one wey concern u o! They one wey no concern u...learn everything and add it to your Cv!! It will come in handy one day! Job is hard to come by! It's not all about money at this stAge...yet experience!!!

Imagine 2 years from now there's a job advert in a big firm for a mechanical engineer and knowledge of electrical environment is an added advantage...who will be cat walking to submit CV...you!!!

So do what's right bro!! I know it's hard! I work in a great firm and haven't been paid in 2 months...it's tough! But I have a plan for my life...I need this experience to move to the next stage!!

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by cherub12(f): 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2016
I wonder which you would prefer,
a) To work in a well furnished office with no learning from your industrial attachment?
b) Being choked with work experience that could turn your life around if the nation be fair to place value on the knowledge u exude both directly in your field or otherwise.

of course, you can't rule out the fact that financial support still comes from your folks even when you are well paid during your IT.

please young bro, get knowledge money will surely come!!!
let the Money run to you rather than pursue it prematurely.
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by badgalRiRi(f): 7:59pm On Aug 07, 2016
I have a question for you. Do you want experience or you want to get paid? Cos with IT, u mostly don't get both. If it's experience, then you shouldn't restrict yourself to just your field of study as most pple have already said. You can never tell which experience will help you on the ladder to success. But if you want to get paid, then I gues you should let them know. In the end, the money will be gone, but experience will forever be yours.

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 8:05pm On Aug 07, 2016
daylife7:

I think u should focus more on ur books and try to get a good grade rather wasting ur time in NL and blocking ur course. .... producing half-baked graduates.

You have nothing reasonable to contribute. Please, go and continue with your palm wine tapping
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Chiscomax(m): 8:13pm On Aug 07, 2016
badgalRiRi:
I have a question for you. Do you want experience or you want to get paid? Cos with IT, u mostly don't get both. If it's experience, then you shouldn't restrict yourself to just your field of study as most pple have already said. You can never tell which experience will help you on the ladder to success. But if you want to get paid, then I gues you should let them know. In the end, the money will be gone, but experience will forever be yours.

That's a point
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by glossy6(f): 8:38pm On Aug 07, 2016
Chiscomax:

Then why use the IT student to do the job of employer?
It is now clear where the issues are coming from.
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by victme1(m): 8:48pm On Aug 07, 2016
What gave you the idea that after your schooling and corpertion you will get work as a mechanical engineer olodo. Quit na and tell your unborn child why you are poor or you did not have work idiot.

Better go and learn perseverance and stay put with the electrical work. Include it in your CV that you have a stint on electrical engineering. This will definitely give you an edge when looking for work lazy bones.
Yeye, na una type d say Oga d use una. U want to earn before learning. Smallbtimebu GI say u get experience..... Maka who teach u... I de vex self
Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Ferguson0709: 9:28pm On Aug 07, 2016
Honestly I will advice you not to quit. You need the knowledge of other Engineering fields if you want to succeed as an Engineer. You might go for an interview or test and they start asking you general engineering questions. You will be surprise they will chase you away if you are telling them you don't have the knowledge. I'm a Civil Enginer, but we were taught a lot of Mechanical, Electrical and computer Engineering courses while in school.

1 Like

Re: I Am About Making A Decision That Would Cost Me My I.T Placement: Advice by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 07, 2016
Chiscomax:

You have nothing reasonable to contribute. Please, go and continue with your palm wine tapping

Continue with with gallivanting in NL......... ur carryover will overwhelme u.... u might beg to graduate with pass... wise up... even 2.1 is fyning it difficult to get job.. Small boy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do I Help My Mum Retrieve Her Pension / Civil Engineering Vs Architecture / Which Course Will You Discourage Your Child From Studying?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.