Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,099 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Http://myschoollatest.net/index.php/2016/08/04/crimes-occur-students-living-off- - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Http://myschoollatest.net/index.php/2016/08/04/crimes-occur-students-living-off- (298 Views)

Http://myschoollatest.net/index.php/2016/08/22/jamb-meet-admission-list-tertiary / Http://myschoollatest.net/index.php/2016/08/04/crimes-occur-students-living-off- / 2016 Utme Performance Index (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Http://myschoollatest.net/index.php/2016/08/04/crimes-occur-students-living-off- by Dikachisco: 10:09am On Aug 06, 2016
According to statistics provided by the Nigerian Police Department, students were victims of major crimes off campus.

The crimes accounted for approximately 10 percent of the total major crimes reported.

A Student from National Open University,still has a scar from when he was robbed and beaten near miami market.

He had a paper due the next day for his art class and had been restless all night, so the student who preferred not to disclose his full name, decided to take his friend’s bike around the neighborhood to clear his head.

“I got down to the next block when I heard someone running up behind me,” he said. “I kept going, and as soon as I turned around and started pedaling, he put a gun to my head and pushed me off my bike.”

What happened next, the student said, was quick, but it remains clear in his mind.

“He held a gun to my head, and another guy must have come up next to me because I started getting hit out of nowhere. I didn’t even see the guy coming,” He said. “They told me to get down, so I laid down on the ground, and the guy continued to keep hitting me. I tried to protect myself, and because I was protecting my face, he kept having to hit around my hands.

The attackers kept asking for money, He said, but he had not taken any because he was afraid his wallet would fall out of his pocket while riding.“The whole time, one guy is digging through my shorts trying to find money, and the other guy just keeps hitting me to distract me,” he said. “One just grabbed my shorts and ripped them off, and I guess just to humiliate me he took my underwear, too. It was insult to injury.”

It was not until later the student learned his attackers had assaulted two others in the same way on the same night and were arrested after being filmed on a convenience store camera. He said he believes if there were a stronger police presence in high-crime areas, the criminals would have been caught sooner.

The student said if he knew the amount of crime was prone to, he would have never chosen to live there in the first place.

Another resident in that area said she terminated her lease early in order to move to a safer neighborhood.

She said that she was constantly worried about break-ins in the area except if the police presences were increased in the area.

Michael,one of the students living nearby said his apartment was broken into just a couple of weeks ago.

According to him,he walked up to his room and the door was left open, the drawers were pushed down and all of his stuff was thrown around. They stole his home theatre,laptop and some cash.

At that time,neighbours were unavailable for comment.

The security officials said they are trying to collaborate with the Police Department to resolve issues with off-campus crime because it is getting out of hand.

(1) (Reply)

True!! Nigerian Students / Important Updates To RSUST Candidates Unable To Register For 2016/17 Screening / Be Part Of September

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.