Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,166 members, 7,780,182 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:34 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (4764 Views)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 2 / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by oohunt: 2:25am On Aug 07, 2016
I have looked for a thread about life in Canada but could not find one. I know about the "Travel to Canada" thread, but what I see there is mostly guidance for the application.

What I will like to know are:

What should one expect as an immigrant?

What should one prepare for, for example: the very cold weather ?

How easy is it to settle in? Especially with kids?

And any other info that will help a newly migrated skilled worker.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:38am On Aug 07, 2016
oohunt:
I have looked for a thread about life in Canada but could not find one. I know about the "Travel to Canada" thread, but what I see there is mostly guidance for the application.

As a highly skilled migrant, It's not going to be easy at first as you would be starting from scratch(ground zero). But give and take...you would start getting settled in 3-5 years. It may take longer if you are in a regulated profession, but much depends on how well you manage your time and your performance in exams.

Carefully choose your province as well. If you are in finance for example, your best bet would be toronto. If engineering, i would have said alberta, but alberta has the worse unemployment rate at the moment in 22 years due to the oil price. If agriculture is your thing, you should look towards manitoba or sask e.t.c

You would get used to the weather after your first winter. The kids would settle in just fine. Kids have no problem when it comes to migration, but school starts at age 4, you maybe lucky to get a preschool if they are within age 3.5-4 (3 hours per day and 2/3 days a week ). Your kids would get benefits from the goverment too. If your kids are much older, then you wont have to worry about day care if you need to go to work.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by justwise(m): 7:19am On Aug 07, 2016
oohunt:

This is the thread here https://www.nairaland.com/863690/nigerian-students-canada-how-survive

(1)

Speeding Accounts For 60% Of Road Crashes In Nigeria - FRSC / Study And Work In Turkey / FRSC ― Motorists Driving Against Traffic To Undergo Psychiatric Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.