Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,895 members, 7,802,878 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:07 AM

4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price (7888 Views)

Woman Begs Her Estranged Husband To Come And Collect His Bride Price. Photos / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by SalomonKane: 4:23pm On Aug 09, 2016
Mindfulness:

Your analogy is inappropriate. Africans like Americans and Europeans used slaves en masse. I don't see how the one is worse than the other.
This is what i'm trying to say. The West see us as 'not knowing'. So when a man who doesn't 'know' do something bad, at least, 'he doesn't know' talkless of a man who was 100% compos mentis when he commits a crime.

I can accept you even though you come from a different cultural background is different from seeing someone's soul.
Then accept me by giving me the pleasure of knowing your name. grin

All is well indeed and getting better. smiley wink
Splendid.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 4:23pm On Aug 09, 2016
SalomonKane:
Oh really? Yet you crave to be won like a trophy by wishing a man undergo 100 stroke of the cane as penance for your 'bride price?'. Lol.

My dear, women like you love to be spoiled, tamed and pampered beyond recognition, that's how you make yourself easy targets for breeding self seeking men.

Seems you haven't been reading or you deliberately chose to comprehend upside down. Anyway your opinion changes nothing for me cool.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by SalomonKane: 4:27pm On Aug 09, 2016
byvan03:

Seems you haven't been reading or you deliberately chose to comprehend upside down. Anyway your opinion changes nothing for me cool.

I know not what you mean, neither would I pretend I understand what you just typed. But please, I never intend for my opinion to change the way you reason, for that will be a lost course.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 4:29pm On Aug 09, 2016
SalomonKane:
Oh really? Yet you crave to be won like a trophy by wishing a man undergo 100 stroke of the cane as penance for your 'bride price?'. Lol.

My dear, women like you love to be spoiled, tamed and pampered beyond recognition, that's how you make yourself easy targets for breeding self seeking men.

"Love, tamed and pampered ", this sounds silly enough ,it doesn't to you? Your opinion is only limited to what you know.

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by lezz(m): 4:41pm On Aug 09, 2016
byvan03:

It's not really my job to convince you. Its ok to disregard my so called "shallow " opinion and move on.
I have. But not before pointing the world to your ankle-deep reservoir of marital knowledge grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by 5minsmadness: 4:44pm On Aug 09, 2016
byvan03:

No 2 really? you have no idea. I will walk out on all traditions and the ancestors can roll over in their graves for all I care. You only consider your loved ones and sacrifice just a bit of yourself not to hurt them.
I hear u grin
There's a 99% probability that with all this your making mouth, your family will still give a list to your fiancee and you will blush with pride when he fulfils it all grin

I left the other 1% out for the sake of statistics grin

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 4:58pm On Aug 09, 2016
5minsmadness:

I hear u grin
There's a 99% probability that with all this your making mouth, your family will still give a list to your fiancee and you will blush with pride when he fulfils it all grin

Blush indeed.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by 5minsmadness: 4:58pm On Aug 09, 2016
LadyOfgrace:
yes
Why? What have the race of men done to you?
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 5:01pm On Aug 09, 2016
lezz:
I have. But not before pointing the world to your ankle-deep reservoir of marital knowledge grin grin grin

Of course, you can knock yourself out. It will be a shame if you are single and yet deem yourself qualified to have an opinion at all on matters such as this.

1 Like

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 5:03pm On Aug 09, 2016
SalomonKane:
I know not what you mean, neither would I pretend I understand what you just typed. But please, I never intend for my opinion to change the way you reason, for that will be a lost course.

Good that you understand the concept of live and let's live cool.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 09, 2016
SalomonKane:
This is what i'm trying to say. The West see us as 'not knowing'. So when a man who doesn't 'know' do something bad, at least, 'he doesn't know' talkless of a man who was 100% compos mentis when he commits a crime.

Only the not knowing see all Africans as the not knowing. wink The West is much more diverse than people tend to see them.

Then accept me by giving me the pleasure of knowing your name. grin

Splendid.

smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by postmann: 5:12pm On Aug 09, 2016
5minsmadness:

I hear u grin

Now, I'll be a hypocrite if I deny this got me cracking up. grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by 5minsmadness: 5:13pm On Aug 09, 2016
byvan03:

Blush indeed.

Haha! I felt you blush just then cheesy
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 5:21pm On Aug 09, 2016
5minsmadness:

Haha! I felt you blush just then cheesy

As blushing machine abi? cheesy

Actually the whole traditional marriage protocol is beyond annoying. There is no wedding as cool as court wedding. You, your spouse, 2 witnesses. Pay a little extra and have it conducted right there in your sitting room, case closed.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by lezz(m): 5:24pm On Aug 09, 2016
byvan03:

Of course, you can knock yourself out. It will be a shame if you are single and yet deem yourself qualified to have an opinion at all on matters such as this.
grin grin grin grin grin I am the custodian of Africa's finest norms and tradition. Call me the steward of our fathers' arcanum grin

I'm a chief, baby(?)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by 5minsmadness: 5:25pm On Aug 09, 2016
lezz:
trivial lies. grin grin grin She seldom makes a comment without that.
Added to dictionary grin
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 5:25pm On Aug 09, 2016
lezz:
grin grin grin grin grin I am the custodian of Africa's finest norms and tradition. Call me the steward of our fathers' arcanum grin

I'm a chief, baby(?)

Odiegwu!
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by lezz(m): 5:31pm On Aug 09, 2016
byvan03:

Odiegwu!
Eziokwu grin grin grin grin

I'm a young lad who has dined with the spirits of our ancestors past.

I see you feeling soft about court marriage. Are you domiciled in the West?
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by lezz(m): 5:32pm On Aug 09, 2016
5minsmadness:

Added to dictionary grin
Broda mi. I am honoured.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by 5minsmadness: 5:37pm On Aug 09, 2016
byvan03:

As blushing machine abi? cheesy

Actually the whole traditional marriage protocol is beyond annoying. There is no wedding as cool as court wedding. You, your spouse, 2 witnesses. Pay a little extra and have it conducted right there in your sitting room, case closed.

Yes, it would be very convenient.

And mundane.

And boring.

Almost shameful, like u r trying to hide the occasion rather than celebrate it.

Even a shotgun wedding would hold more pizzaz cheesy

My dear, even u will refuse to marry a man who suggests the above scenario u just painted there!

2 Likes

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 5:38pm On Aug 09, 2016
lezz:
Eziokwu grin grin grin grin

I'm a young lad who has dined with the spirits of our ancestors past.

I see you feeling soft about court marriage. Are you domiciled in the West?

It's just the type that appeals to my personality most.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by 5minsmadness: 5:44pm On Aug 09, 2016
LadyOfgrace:
why didn't you round it off to 1000 likes?

I subtracted nairaland feminists, thier alternate handles and supporters, and then added 30 to correct for attrition wink
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by byvan03: 5:49pm On Aug 09, 2016
5minsmadness:

Yes, it would be very convenient.

And mundane.

And boring.

Almost shameful, like u r trying to hide the occasion rather than celebrate it.

Even a shotgun wedding would hold more pizzaz cheesy

My dear, even u will refuse to marry a man who suggests the above scenario u just painted there!

We can as well move on with our lives without any wedding at all, heaven will not fall. People 's validation doesn't mean a thing. Mundane and boring will suit me perfectly in this case, my convenience is top on my priority list.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by cococandy(f): 6:20pm On Aug 09, 2016
Mindfulness:

grin grin

And the funny thing is that any cultural practice MUST differ from any Western cultural practices, which makes Western cultural practices the yardstick after all.

What a paradox! grin

I want to see an American or a European say: "We have to do this and that so that we differ from Africans." grin

Mental slavery!

And the funniest thing of all is that Christianity was brought to these people by Westerners along with the gender roles and steeotypes which they are still clinging to. grin
@bold, that's funny as hell. It's the part that I find the most ridiculous. They cling to old and sometimes discarded western culture and call it African culture. Smh

1 Like

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by DemiGoddess(f): 6:20pm On Aug 09, 2016
lezz:
Broda mi. I am honoured.
Here!
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by LadyOfgrace: 6:31pm On Aug 09, 2016
5minsmadness:

I subtracted nairaland feminists, thier alternate handles and supporters, and then added 30 to correct for attrition wink
wow!

Did you do the calculation at your time of sanity or 5 minutes madness?

grin
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by SalomonKane: 7:04pm On Aug 09, 2016
Mindfulness:

Only the not knowing see all Africans as the not knowing. wink The West is much more diverse than people tend to see them.
Yes I know this, and it's because the West comprise of many diverse cultures.

smiley
Nice to meet you Foxy Cleopatra. I'm sure you know Austin Powers is near by dealing with Fat Bastard. grin
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by SalomonKane: 7:16pm On Aug 09, 2016
cococandy:

@bold, that's funny as hell. It's the part that I find the most ridiculous. They cling to old and sometimes discarded western culture and call it African culture. Smh
Cocobutter, you didn't answer my question. Don't tell me silence is golden? grin

1 Like

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by Nobody: 7:44pm On Aug 09, 2016
Mindfulness:

grin grin

And the funny thing is that any cultural practice MUST differ from any Western cultural practices, which makes Western cultural practices the yardstick after all.

What a paradox! grin

I want to see an American or a European say: "We have to do this and that so that we differ from Africans." grin

Mental slavery!

And the funniest thing of all is that Christianity was brought to these people by Westerners along with the gender roles and steeotypes which they are still clinging to. grin

Am I the only one seeing the double standard here? It is a huge sacrilege for a thing as insignificant and as minor as ''bride price' to be screened out, but it's laudable to renounce the gods of your ancestors for the religion of a foreigner(Christianity).

Any one that tells me he/she is a custodian of African culture and thinks bride price is not a nuisance must either be worshipping Sango or Amadiora before I can take him/her serious.

Such hypocrisy!

God knows I would not make it mandatory for my son-in-law(s) to pay bride price, that's if I have daughters anyway.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by lezz(m): 7:47pm On Aug 09, 2016
byvan03:

It's just the type that appeals to my personality most.
Quite frankly it has it's benefits and rewards.

But nothing replaces African traditional marriage. No matter how pared down or flamboyant.

We are a communal lot and our marriage system is part of our ingrained beingness.
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by lezz(m): 7:49pm On Aug 09, 2016
DemiGoddess:

Here!
Hey!! It takes seeing to believing. wink
Re: 4 Categories Of Women & Their Views On Bride Price by DemiGoddess(f): 8:00pm On Aug 09, 2016
lezz:
Hey!! It takes seeing to believing. wink

Can't believe I'm here after nearly 4 months. shocked
It feels like I'm new, strange monikers and all... undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Just Saw This In My Baby Sister Bag / Graphic + Wedding Photos: Man Cuts Off Wife's Ears During Domestic Violence / If Your Wife Is Pregnant For Another Man, What Do You Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.