Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:43 AM

Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) (71593 Views)

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained / James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 10:42am On Aug 09, 2016
Suprnov3r:
My brother married from imo statea year ago. The entire amount spent for the traditional marriage was around N500,000
Wow... That is so cool!
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 10:49am On Aug 09, 2016
Suprnov3r:
OP kudos for your quick thinking

I also think you should modify your post to allow other non ibo tribes post as well. While the mis-conceptions about ibo bride brides might be ubiquitous and grossly exaggerated, methinks opening it up will allow for matured comparisms which could possibly provide an argument against the widely held beliefs of high bride prices in ibo land

I understand your concern bro but based on history of what has occurred here on nairaland, this thread is very on point. I will create that one later. Let's get this to front page. I will keep pushing for it and bumping the thread as the case may be.

EDIT: There is another thread another thread on nairaland which I saw yesterday. When you take a look, you would understand why setting the record straight is very important.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 5:59pm On Aug 09, 2016
Bump...
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 8:22am On Aug 10, 2016
adaure4ever, are you from Abia state, can you please help with info here, umuahia precisely?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by motherfucker: 9:42am On Aug 18, 2016
blaise26abj:
please I'm interested in that of abia state too. Abeg tag me when u get a response

People do not seem interested to contribute and the mods wouldn't move it to front page on my plea. SAD cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by pawesome(m): 9:17pm On Apr 12, 2018
Mrbigman1:
Am from Anambra an uga precisely and I can tell u dat we have the cheapest requirements.

With just a goat, 100 litters of palm wine, coconut, colanuts, some few money say about 50 - 80 k den bride price depends on d umunna.
The rich relatively collects cheaper.

From my own family, when monitized, it have always summed up to be around 250k - 270 apart from the normal celebration.

If u wanna celebrate and call the whole world, it's ur own cup of tea den.
2 wetin?...CHEAPEST?... Bros,you re wicked
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by ednut1(m): 9:18pm On Apr 12, 2018
Derth of quality articles don send mod to 2016

11 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Taduma1(f): 9:20pm On Apr 12, 2018
soberdrunk:

CHEAPEST"?? @ 250k-270k? No wonder my aunties for Ibadan dey shout 4 my ear "dont fall in love with igbo gal yooo"!!! Lmao
eh ya, no mind the 250/270 Jare.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Newpride(m): 9:20pm On Apr 12, 2018
The bride price the ibos placed on their daughter is like they wanna sell the daughter.

Come to Yoruba land, our culture and tradition is the best.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Zinny25(f): 9:20pm On Apr 12, 2018
I'm from Abia State. Umuahia to be precise.... I'm coming, let me collect the list from the elders. Will get back to you soon

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Follygunners: 9:21pm On Apr 12, 2018
Just imagine... when money dey important more than human being.

For dem dem land.. Daughter = $$$$$ grin grin grin
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by SmartPolician: 9:21pm On Apr 12, 2018
The obsession of nairaland.com with anything Igbo beats my imagination

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by FanYogo1(f): 9:21pm On Apr 12, 2018
Imagine paying #500k for a hairy dirty ibo girl

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by tomande: 9:21pm On Apr 12, 2018
Lol!
soberdrunk:

CHEAPEST"?? @ 250k-270k? No wonder my aunties for Ibadan dey shout 4 my ear "dont fall in love with igbo gal yooo"!!! Lmao
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by dharamanil(m): 9:24pm On Apr 12, 2018
Can any body tell me for aguata anambra?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by chiedozie198100: 9:24pm On Apr 12, 2018
ifyalways:
The bride price in my place is divided into 2 categories :

36 naira if the brides highest educational qualification at the time of marriage is School cert or lower.

54 naira if its anything above School Cert.

Any other efizi is at the bride/grooms family discretion . Onicha ado,Anambra state.

but u know say 54 naira na big money that time?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by darlingtonNYIG(m): 9:27pm On Apr 12, 2018
For my sisters, we collected 100naira as bride price. A he-goat because our dad is late and crate of beer. The rest are drinks and cola for Umunna, umuada had chewing gum and 3k, while the village requested for the normal drinks which will be consumed during the traditional marriage proper. For my mum, she was bought cloths, fish, soap, a bag and some condiments she will share to her friends. So roughly, the groom spends below 120k for bride price drinks and the rest. We as a family contributes 50% for the cooking in the traditional wedding celebration. I am from Ihiala in Anambra State.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Follygunners: 9:29pm On Apr 12, 2018
chiedozie198100:

but u know say 54 naira na big money that time?

One of dem dem spotted. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sirBLUNT: 9:30pm On Apr 12, 2018
missjoy29 how have you been? its been a while
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by safarigirl(f): 9:30pm On Apr 12, 2018
From Arochukwu, the bride price is N25

Every other thing is at the discretion of the bride's family, umunna and umuada.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by kenechi072: 9:31pm On Apr 12, 2018
Arondizuogu collects N25 only, but you buy other things. I think It's a general rule for them. My 2 guys who married from there said the same thing.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Onyinye15(f): 9:32pm On Apr 12, 2018
Following cheesy
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by barristerzinny(f): 9:35pm On Apr 12, 2018
motherfucker:
Truly it is! I am also doing this because of my next year plan and I am particularly looking out for anything Abia State. grin
am from Abia state.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by barristerzinny(f): 9:36pm On Apr 12, 2018
kenechi072:
Arondizuogu collects N25 only, but you buy other things. I think It's a general rule for them. My 2 guys who married from there said the same thing.
even my place in arochukwu Abia state, the same thing

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by barristerzinny(f): 9:36pm On Apr 12, 2018
motherfucker:
Truly it is! I am also doing this because of my next year plan and I am particularly looking out for anything Abia State. grin
am from Abia state.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by kenechi072: 9:36pm On Apr 12, 2018
safarigirl:
From Arochukwu, the bride price is N25

Every other thing is at the discretion of the bride's family, umunna and umuada.

Wow...really? And I thought it was only Arondizuogu. Well, they are the same people , just different states. That means it's a general rule for all the Aros across Igboland.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by afamaustin(m): 9:37pm On Apr 12, 2018
How about okaigwe in IMO state
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by johnnyn1(m): 9:39pm On Apr 12, 2018
motherfucker:
Bro, he meant that items needed is around that amount. Anything after that is left to you and you can then choose to spend just 300k in addition to that one. In essence, with 600k, you have a traditional marriage. White wedding should be a lot cheaper.

Besides, people buy land, laptops, clothes for more than 250k, so why should spending such an amount be seen as too expensive.

Indirectly selling out their daughters..
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by royaldonbliss(m): 9:39pm On Apr 12, 2018
This is a nice thread. I'm here to learn

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by mamachizzy(f): 9:39pm On Apr 12, 2018
my place in Anambra too is 70 naira.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Ejiod(m): 9:40pm On Apr 12, 2018
Zinny25:
I'm from Abia State. Umuahia to be precise.... I'm coming, let me collect the list from the elders. Will get back to you soon
I'm waiting for that list too. I know how much my family took on my sis wedding.Im curious to know
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Zinny25(f): 9:41pm On Apr 12, 2018
In umuahia, once you have between 300-500k , you are good to go.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) / Alaafin Of Oyo & Ooni Both Bow To Greet Each Other (Photo) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.