Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) (71608 Views)

The Economics Of Igbo Marriage Explained / James Ayatse's Daughter, Doofan Ayatse Marries. 1000 Paid As Bride Price / Olori Wuraola Returns Bride Price To Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by blaise26abj(m): 9:41pm On Apr 14, 2018
JideAmuGiaka:

My wife is from Abia (Isi Ala ngwa South LGA).
They will treat you as you come, that's if you appear to be rich and willing to spend, they'll chop you but if you meet your potential inlaws and tell them your condition, they'll play along with you. Marriage has no fixed price in Igbo land everything depends on how you play your card. Though they may give you a very long list of items to buy, just ignore some things and stand your grand, honestly you'll have your way. Always go with elders that can speak up.
Thanks my man. We are married already. They gave me one long ass list but elders from my place , my wife and her bro really helped. It's all about negotiating well and most importantly having allies on the wife's side.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by bash8936: 1:22am On Apr 15, 2018
Mrbigman1:
Am from Anambra an uga precisely and I can tell u dat we have the cheapest requirements.

With just a goat, 100 litters of palm wine, coconut, colanuts, some few money say about 50 - 80 k den bride price depends on d umunna.
The rich relatively collects cheaper.

From my own family, when monitized, it have always summed up to be around 250k - 270 apart from the normal celebration.

If u wanna celebrate and call the whole world, it's ur own cup of tea den.

Him say cheapest of all loollllllz.
And they said buhari and APC are corrupt...
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by barristerzinny(f): 7:30pm On Apr 16, 2018
mazimee:

Apologies Adamazi , I didn't know.
Which villiage in Aro are you from? btw, I'm from Obinkita villiage
oror
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sirBLUNT: 9:10am On Apr 20, 2018
MissJoy29:

I have been good dearie. What about you?
well i'm good now...i guess you dint check your last mail..
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by MissJoy29(f): 11:47am On Apr 21, 2018
sirBLUNT:
well i'm good now...i guess you dint check your last mail..
I'm happy you are good now cool
No I didn't dear. I will soon.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sirBLUNT: 12:46pm On Apr 21, 2018
MissJoy29:
I'm happy you are good now cool No I didn't dear. I will soon.
ok dear...i see you
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by MissJoy29(f): 12:59pm On Apr 21, 2018
sirBLUNT:
ok dear...i see you
I have got my eyes on you too grin
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sirBLUNT: 1:25pm On Apr 21, 2018
MissJoy29:
I have got my eyes on you too grin
lol...see you i had your favourite soup yesterday 'ashi' a lady friend prepared it for me...
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by MissJoy29(f): 10:34am On Apr 22, 2018
sirBLUNT:
lol...see you
i had your favourite soup yesterday 'ashi' a lady friend prepared it for me...
You did? cheesy cheesy
That's great! Hope you enjoyed it. What leaf did she use for the ACHI soup?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sirBLUNT: 8:47pm On Apr 22, 2018
MissJoy29:

You did? cheesy cheesy
That's great! Hope you enjoyed it. What leaf did she use for the ACHI soup?
yea i did enjoy it i must confess atleast for the first time lol
she said she use uzazi leaf abi what did she call it sef...me i just eat jor!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by MissJoy29(f): 8:51pm On Apr 23, 2018
sirBLUNT:
yea i did enjoy it i must confess atleast for the first time lol
she said she use uzazi leaf abi what did she call it sef...me i just eat jor!
Uziza leaves. Chai! She be better person. Hundred yards wife material grin grin grin

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sirBLUNT: 3:53pm On Apr 24, 2018
MissJoy29:

Uziza leaves. Chai! She be better person. Hundred yards wife material grin grin grin

I'm glad you enjoyed it.
hahah wife material funny you!

yea i did enjoy myself,she is a great cook like you i guess or better.... winks!
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by MissJoy29(f): 10:42pm On Apr 24, 2018
sirBLUNT:
hahah wife material funny you!

yea i did enjoy myself,she is a great cook like you i guess or better.... winks!
Yes na...lock it down quickly dear. grin

Better? Nah. I don't think so cool
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sirBLUNT: 11:11am On Apr 25, 2018
MissJoy29:

Yes na...lock it down quickly dear. grin

Better? Nah. I don't think so cool
i haven't even start thinking in that direction yet so there's nothing to lock down..

i knew you will not agree,am looking forward to eating your meal you seems to be so confidence of yourself that i kind of admire your cooking skills...
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by MissJoy29(f): 3:03pm On Apr 25, 2018
sirBLUNT:
i haven't even start thinking in that direction yet so there's nothing to lock down..

i knew you will not agree,am looking forward to eating your meal you seems to be so confidence of yourself that i kind of admire your cooking skills...
Ok dear. But hurry up. I don't want you to miss that woman that can cook achi & uziza for you. She's definitely bae. cool

How will I agree that another woman cooks better than I do? shocked . No nah. Don't worry. One of these days, I will come to the G country for that tongue
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sirBLUNT: 4:23pm On Apr 25, 2018
MissJoy29:

Ok dear. But hurry up. I don't want you to miss that woman that can cook achi & uziza for you. She's definitely bae. cool

How will I agree that another woman cooks better than I do? shocked . No nah. Don't worry. One of these days, I will come to the G country for that tongue
lol you remind me of davido and chioma they say she hook him with her cook skills but i'm not him i need morethan food....

i can't wait to see you in G country so i compare and contrast and give my verdict but don't enter in ghostmode as you always do oo
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by MissJoy29(f): 4:53pm On Apr 25, 2018
sirBLUNT:
lol you remind me of davido and chioma they say she hook him with her cook skills but i'm not him i need morethan food....

i can't wait to see you in G country so i compare and contrast and give my verdict but don't enter in ghostmode as you always do oo
Lol...what else do you need? Pray tell.

I will try not to dear. Are you in the G country?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by sirBLUNT: 7:12pm On Apr 25, 2018
MissJoy29:

Lol...what else do you need? Pray tell.

I will try not to dear. Are you in the G country?
i need a sassy,independent,realiable,high standard and a woman who pride in herself...possess this qualities and be a bad cook and i will still work you down the ailse....

no i'm not in G yet will be there on may15 by God's grace....have they finally accept you in G?
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Pmpfilmz: 10:52pm On Jun 10, 2018
afamaustin:
in my village Aguluezechukwu in Aguata if u HV #200k u ar good to go
. I need to connect with you and ask you something please beep me 08133392796
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Nobody: 10:07am On Jun 15, 2018
greypencils:
Good day people and God bless the OP for this thread. I'm currently in a relationship with a lady from Orlu in Imo state. She has told me she won't want to spend more than three months wearing a proposal ring before getting married that's why I haven't proposed yet. I have some money but you can never tell how much to spend when it comes to marriage. I am Yoruba by the way. What is important is the love I have for her and the love she feels for me. I would appreciate useful contributions. Please I beg you in the name of God, no unfriendly remarks please. Thank you. God bless you.
Do not delay bro, our marriage is the cheapest in Imo state. I am from Umuaka Orlu and I can testify to have given my two sisters out in marriage as the first son of my father. Let me point out here that while majority of families are still in the cheap bracket, others tend to take some few chunk of money out of your pocket. The amount for bride price is 100 naira, but in my own case my inlaw brought a bunch of 20000 naira, I took out 100 naira and gave the rest to him to use it to take care of my sister, virtually every family in my place does this. But I will advise you budget from 200-300 thousand naira to fufill both the marriage list and traditional marriage feast.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Emoregan: 3:05am On Jan 12, 2019
achi4u:
I'm from Ezza in Ebonyi state, but in Ebonyi state the bride price varies from community to community, so In my own Ezza community, the biggest pride price is called (afia efi) that is cow price and it still ranges from family to family. Some collet 20k,30 , 50k up till 70k depending on your in law umunna. Every other things na Jara.
But 2 goats must follow, so just budget 200k to 300k for the traditional wedding, still it's depends on weight of the wallet of the said guy.

cant the price of the cow and the number of goats be reduced. i am planning to get married from Ezza, my future mother inlaw who went to the village for one of their relatives marriage said that her husband kinsmen collected 150k but later agreed at 120k from the groom for the cow and 5 goats at 30k each. my question now is that can the cow be negotiated from 150k to 50 or 70k and can the goats be negotiated from that 5 to 3 or even 2. i will appreciate more explanation on this bro
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by martowskin1(m): 12:58pm On Jan 12, 2019
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by achi4u(m): 9:00am On Jan 13, 2019
Emoregan:

cant the price of the cow and the number of goats be reduced. i am planning to get married from Ezza, my future mother inlaw who went to the village for one of their relatives marriage said that her husband kinsmen collected 150k but later agreed at 120k from the groom for the cow and 5 goats at 30k each. my question now is that can the cow be negotiated from 150k to 50 or 70k and can the goats be negotiated from that 5 to 3 or even 2. i will appreciate more explanation on this bro
I think I've answered you from my post you quoted.
It varies from family to family. If you really love to marry her (ur wife to be) go ahead no matter how little cash u go with. The afia efi this days might be between 70 to 100k and the goat must reach 3 and above.
God bless your hustle Bro.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Olumyyde(m): 10:44am On Jan 16, 2019
babzlim:

Have lived in this same yoruba land all my life and I see how they throw their party which u will never find in igbo land ... This same yoruba land will rip you of all your hard end money with all this iya alaga ... They will even ask you to pay money for plane flight and opening of your wife's face money for coming late, e.t.c . Oga if you do your calculations properly you will know or discover how cheap the igbo marriage rights are. Please don't say what u don't know I beg.
Don't exaggerate pls, those petty demands are what a groom can just put a token in the bowl for. My 5 elder sisters are all married, so I know what I'm saying. cheers.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by babzlim(m): 12:18am On Jan 17, 2019
Olumyyde:

Don't exaggerate pls, those petty demands are what a groom can just put a token in the bowl for. My 5 elder sisters are all married, so I know what I'm saying. cheers.

I also have friends who get married come and see how those pocket hungry alaga womn emptied our pocket.

This marriage thing depends on the family in question. My cousin gave her sister out in marriage and everything the husband spent wasn't even up too 100k.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Olumyyde(m): 2:35pm On Jan 17, 2019
babzlim:

I also have friends who get married come and see how those pocket hungry alaga womn emptied our pocket.

This marriage thing depends on the family in question. My cousin gave her sister out in marriage and everything the husband spent wasn't even up too 100k.
U're correct, it depends on the family.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by vuga007(m): 10:31am On Feb 21, 2019
then it shows how greedy your people are. what the Bleep
colossus91:
I'm from ebonyi state afikpo south or edda as it is fondly called bride price is just 30 naira ....then all the brings and all should amount to 250k......then u pay 50 k to the maternal side of the lady........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Ucylious(f): 8:35pm On Mar 08, 2019
I'm not from Owerri, and yes Owerri women are promiscuous, won't even let my son marry from there. Same way my dad won't let me marry an Owerri man.

Owerri people are not that bad nah come on.
I am mixed blood sha owerri + mbaise
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by DaniellaDokubo(f): 4:02am On Apr 29, 2019
BeeBeeOoh:
I'm from Anambra state, Aguleri to be precise. With N200,000(if you ain't an indigene) in your pocket you are good to go depending on the family. If you are an indigene, it will be lesser.

You can invite the whole Nigeria if your pocket is fat enough.

My auntie got married in 2013, after summation of everything(Kola's, ewu nna, drinks etc) we got 86/7k, excluding cooking expenses and 8 gallons of palm wine bought by the in-laws. Don't know how much was collected for her dowry.

2017, another got married to an Edo man, same procedure but we had a little increment because of Change. It cost her hubby 200K of there about to perform all the traditional rites. Edo people paid 5k for the dowry, 2k was given back to them.

Same thing to the one that got married just last year to an Ogoja man. Ogoja people paid 5k for the dowry also

So, it depends on the family of the bride your are marrying from and their kinsmen.

Don't know where I kept my own copy of the list, would have snapped it.

Please be kind enough to ask for it from others who are still with it and post here.

Thank you
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by ekanempatrick28(m): 9:58am On Dec 23, 2019
In fact am surprised even my sister and mom have refused to believe me that what am saying is a lie that Igbo trad list can't b 250k that is very expensive that what am reading online is a lie. My fiancee is from abba njikoka LGA. Planning on making moves mid next yr. Am glad is not that high abeg I still dey hustle. Although a friend that from the east said it depends on her family and that she has to let them know that am not that rich and all so as not to bill me much. Am glad for this info
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by Scottallen: 8:03am On Dec 24, 2019
I'm from a community in Isiala Mbano, Imo State. In my Umunna, when you settle the Umuada by buying what's on the list or paying 25,000. The next is to settle the Umunna which is not bigger than 50k. The next important things are the items to be bought for the parents of the girl, which you can easily settle with the girls parents. The father takes her pride price, depending on how much he wants. There's no fixed price, however,it is usually not more than 10k. After , this your wife is yours. I'm well aware of the marital rites if my kindred.
Re: Igbo Marriage And Bride Price: Put The Records Straight (Represent Your Culture) by AdaEzinwanne(f): 12:08am On Dec 27, 2019
motherfucker:
Okay, thank you. May God bless you for taking your time to explain.

So let me ask: so let's say that the basic amount of money needed is around 300k? Then drinks, food and other things is left to you right? hmmm... not bad.

shocked shocked shocked shocked
EDIT... BLOOD OF ABAKU!... since 2016, na now this thread dey make front page... it goes to show that miracles can happen if we don't give up.. hit like if you believe.
Why can't some people read well ...stupid fellow

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo & Ooni Both Bow To Greet Each Other (Photo) / The Beautiful Palace Of The Ooni Of Ife (Photos, Video) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.